• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Jiuhukias Engage In Religious Cyberbullying of Korean Popstar Babi! Jiuhukias More Bigoted Than Whites?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
1591316365923.png

K-pop singer and dancer, So Young, made her debut with girl group Fly With Me in 2019 .

But recently, she has been the subject of ridicule in Malaysia because of her stage name: Babi.
"Babi" means pig in Malay.

Malaysians made fun of her name

Malaysians were quick to flock to her Instagram posts, leaving a bunch of sarcastic comments.
ezgif.com-gif-maker-49.jpg

Translation: "I've never seen a babi this pretty before. The babi I'm used to seeing has an ugly nose...but this babi has a pretty nose..wow."

ezgif.com-gif-maker-50.jpg

ezgif.com-gif-maker-51.jpg

Translation: "This babi is prettier than me hmmm."

ezgif.com-gif-maker-52.jpg

Translation: "Why is this babi so pretty?"

ezgif.com-gif-maker-53.jpg

Translation: "I can't imagine what her fanchant will be like."

Some also tried to get her to change her name, explaining that it is a "curse" word in Malaysia.
ezgif.com-gif-maker-54.jpg

ezgif.com-gif-maker-55.jpg

Not the only language in the world

On the other hand, a number of Malaysians saw nothing wrong with her name.
In fact, they called out those who were "embarrassing" their country, stating that Malay isn't the only language in the world.

Translation: "Babi is not a curse. Babi is literally an animal. You guys made it sound like a curse word. Also, she's not from "here" so why are you stupid enough to think that Malaysia is the only country in the world?"

"Why are you doing this to me"
In response to the comments, So Young has disabled the comments on her latest Instagram posts.

She also uploaded a post on Jun. 4 to address the issue: Malaysians who came here to mock my name have to see this post. Why are you doing this to me? Just because my name is your laughing stock?

She added that she's not interested in Malay, and "it doesn't matter" what her name means in the language.

"I didn't know your country, but I don't want to know it anymore.

If the same thing happens after you see my post, I will report everyone and block the account.

So stop now.

Lastly, thank you guys for helping me."

https://mothership.sg/2020/06/malaysians-mock-k-pop-babi/