• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Jehovah witnesses in singapore.. ? stories...

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Saw them in the city a couple of times. They are always dressed in white shirt with a bible in hand. Always thought they would come talk to me about their religion. But for some reason I think they could sense I won't be someone that is easy to be convinced. Have noticed that there are more "asians" among them now. Mostly Koreans I think, they used to come down here from Utah or something if I remember correctly.

think that's mormon.. not jw i think

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal

* Taking verses out of their immediate context.
* Refusing to read verses in the entire biblical context.
* Inserting their theological presuppositions into the text.
* Altering the Biblical text to suit their needs.
* Latching onto one verse to interpret a host of others.
* Changing the meanings of words.
* Proclaiming some passages to be figurative when they contradict their doctrines.
* Adding to the Word of God.

hahaha reminds me of foyce and jack's church hahahaha

Jabba

Alfrescian
Loyal
A few years ago...two young gals in their early twenties tried to preach to me abt armageddon and lions eating grass...a few weeks ago an old man and a woman in her thirties tried to talk to be about end of the world...they told me they are JW...i told them amitabha and closed my door...

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
A few years ago...two young gals in their early twenties tried to preach to me abt armageddon and lions eating grass...a few weeks ago an old man and a woman in her thirties tried to talk to be about end of the world...they told me they are JW...i told them amitabha and closed my door...

what u mean abt lions eating grass?

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
You quoted correctly bo? These characteristics looks like Xtianity lei.

Quote:
* Taking verses out of their immediate context.
* Refusing to read verses in the entire biblical context.
* Inserting their theological presuppositions into the text.
* Altering the Biblical text to suit their needs.
* Latching onto one verse to interpret a host of others.
* Changing the meanings of words.
* Proclaiming some passages to be figurative when they contradict their doctrines.
* Adding to the Word of God.

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
i personally know of 2 JWs. Extremely firiendly & nice ppl. Dun noe much ant their religion though.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
last time during NS, heard that DB got Jehovah Witness de...they don't wear the DB uniform but all in white (like PAP).

bcos they cannot carry arms but bcos they did not commit offense, they were given laundry duties and exempt from sandbag duties....

dunno how true.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
They wear PT kit and serve ns in db, no book out. Only difference is that instead of the green t-shirt, they wear white t-shirt and blue shorts. They serve their ns as GD man (general duties) or some call it LOBO. They don't have to touch any combat related stuff in their GD duties.

As far as those that I came across in ns, they are educated and well mannered. They tend to keep to themselves and don't talk much, or chat with the guys in uniform though. RSM order them to do, they do without complaint.

I respect them for not running away from ns. At least they stayed and served their ns in manners as the state deems fit.

I used to buy better food from the canteen, let them take cover and enjoy. Initially they were very reluctant to accept. Those were the little gestures to show my appreciation whenever they do GD work at company line.

Don't know much about their religion. Never bothered, to each their own beliefs as long as they don't do harm.

The impression that I have of them is the they clenched their teeth and just do whatever is asked upon them, finish it and FO, "leave me alone thereafter".

last time during NS, heard that DB got Jehovah Witness de...they don't wear the DB uniform but all in white (like PAP).

bcos they cannot carry arms but bcos they did not commit offense, they were given laundry duties and exempt from sandbag duties....

dunno how true.

sir cum-a-lot

Alfrescian
Loyal
JW is the biggest joke that ever exists. they claim that the religion prohibits them to take arms & train to fight/defend the land. i dunno which version of the bible do they read, or is it their own version.

from old testament to new testaments... the chosen race had been constant warfare with the neighboring countries, even till this day.

xyhan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have something that I want to share... I am a Buddhist and I come from a Christian School since day 1 and am surrounded by Christian Family, Relatives and Friends.

I used to get people coming knocking at my door almost every Sunday morning trying to preach Christinity to me. And each time they look at my Buddhist Alter, they will say that I am Idol Worshipping and that God says this and God says that...... Then they will go off after comdemning my practice.

BUT on one Sunday Morning, I got a knock on my door, thinking that its one of the usual people, I told them that I am not interested.. Then a voice of a very elderly man spoke. I opened the door and saw a young girl holding the arms of a man who is in his late 70's.

He spoke to me in a manner that surprised me.. He instead of like the other Christian People who came condemining my alter, he asked for my opinion on raising children in a Buddhist enviornment and my opinion Chrositianity? We shared the next hour sharing our views on various subjects.. I later found out that he is a JW.. We parted as friends. He didn't try to convert me or comdemn my Belief.

He came back the following Sunday again and we spent another hour or so.. After that I didn't get to see him..

I had a very pleasant time discussing and exchanging various subjects of mutual interest. I RESPECTED this OLD GENTLEMAN ( who is a JW ) for his approach. His approach is that of an open mind and not "Open your Mouth , I pour every solution I have into your Throat and you just shut up ".

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
they're polite but still annoy me. as for their perspective on the old book... i think they're ripping off the 7th day adventist(sp?) but in denial, which is just fucking lame but what do i care i'm an evil philosopher. bleh.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cult members are never evil or bad. They are typically susceptible to strong personalities and have great difficulty cutting their links. They therefore go to the next phase of internalising the beliefsfits to hide their weakness. This is no different to an individual who is fast becoming an alcoholic who keeps claiming that he can handle it.

I can't understand why people perceive these people are poorly mannered or bad. When one is young or lonely, there is a need to for an identiy and some level of association and recognition. It has nothing to do with religion or god.

People like these tend to follow the first group that they get enticed to follow.
Interestingly as they try and create this false persona and identity they display incredible resolve and remain steadfast in their belief. They also show incredible resilience to threat and violence.

As the years go by, and the group starts to focus on newer members and they don't have a place in the leadership group, they become disillusioned and leave quietly.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
JW no blood transfusion. if they kena accident, they will refuse to accept others blood even they are dying. in US, there is this case parents refuse blood transfusion even their children are dying. in the end only one survive and 2 die due to that.

JW no salute to state flag or wear uniform. no gesture to pledge loyalty to any authorities or symbol. for example flags, pledge, national anthems. they believe all these are satanic, authorities and its symbols. thats why JW is banned legally for good in sg.

east side got quite a lot, still got people going around knocking on doors. this is what i encounter and what i know. they try to talk to you in a very open and polite manner, once u kena bought over. they will brain wash u like NCC and CHC cult.