• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

James Gomez is back: Is it good or bad?

omega

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_277858.html?vgnmr=1

Sep 12, 2008

Gomez keeps options open

By Li Xueying

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
sg-gomez.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

The 42-year-old was part of the WP team that contested in Aljunied GRC at the last polls. -- YEN MENG JIN/THE BUSINESS TIMES
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The 42-year-old was part of the WP team that contested in Aljunied GRC at the last polls. -- YEN MENG JIN/THE BUSINESS TIMES

FORMER Workers' Party (WP) candidate James Gomez will return to Singapore for good at the end of this year but declined to say if he will still be active in opposition politics.

He left Singapore shortly after the May 2006 election to work as a researcher in a think tank in Sweden.

The 42-year-old was part of the WP team that contested in Aljunied GRC at the last polls.

They garnered the highest share of votes among opposition GRC teams of 43.9 per cent of valid votes.

Asked if he would contest the next polls due by 2011, he said: 'That's too far ahead, but I'll be happy to discuss (with the party leaders) further.'

He was awarded a degree of Doctor of Philosophy by Australia's Monash University at a ceremony at the Ritz Carlton Hotel on Friday.

Reporters were present because he had informed the media that he wished to speak on his research on the internet and Singapore elections.

After 31/2 years of work and analysis of the three GEs in 1997, 2001 and 2006, his conclusion is that the availability of alternative political views online had no impact on voting patterns.

Currently on a fellowship at Japan's Keio University, he said he hoped to continue to do research in this area after his return to Singapore.

A

Alu862

"After 31/2 years of work and analysis of the three GEs in 1997, 2001 and 2006, his conclusion is that the availability of alternative political views online had no impact on voting patterns."

I await the bashing from the "great" SDP supporters. Even our gay guy Au will say something different.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
...After 31/2 years of work and analysis of the three GEs in 1997, 2001 and 2006, his conclusion is that the availability of alternative political views online had no impact on voting patterns.

Currently on a fellowship at Japan's Keio University, he said he hoped to continue to do research in this area after his return to Singapore.

I suppose what he means is that no matter what people read in the net, they have already decided in their hearts who to vote.

I wonder then how his thesis explain the shift of votes over the elections.

(i) What other factors does he attribute it to?
(ii) And how does he know that the net does not affect these other factors?
(iii) And to what degree of significance does he base his conclusion of 'no impact', assuming his variables, data, sampling size are satisfactory?​

I presume that these are covered by the oral examination of his doctoral thesis and he answered his examiners satisfactorily.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dr. James Gomez. Sounds good.

What if WP fields a team with three Drs., Dr. Tan Bin Seng, Dr. Poh Lee Guan and Dr. James Gomez along with two other graduates or masters? (Provided that Dr. James Gomez remains in the WP and WP willing to field him again.)

A

Alu862

What if WP fields a team with three Drs., Dr. Tan Bin Seng, Dr. Poh Lee Guan and Dr. James Gomez along with two other graduates or masters? (Provided that Dr. James Gomez remains in the WP and WP willing to field him again.)

Don't forget the SDP's Doctor. Let's see if any of these guys can progress to professors.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal

I do not know who these people are. But the 'Dr' in front of the title will give a lot of creditability to the WP platform. So, sounds good.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey if this happens, please ensure that Dr Gomez has a PA to vet all procedural aspects, in particular when it comes to electoral forms and form submissions, also to act as buffer with regards electoral counter staff to avoid any finger wagging misunderstandings and to avoid being too chummy with the PAP bayi and his poll agent:biggrin:

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Porifirio

A "minder' would be in order. James is an excellent speaker. Have not heard Dr Tan so will not comment but Dr Poh needs a lot of work

Locke

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Locke,

Curious to hear your views on James' pov below:

"Releasing a summary of his thesis to the media, he said the freedom to distribute alternative political content through the Internet will not lead to a change in electoral results.
Pointing to statistics, he said through three elections the past 12 years, alternative Internet content — seen by some to “mitigate censorship and bias” reporting of the mainstream media — has had no effect on the overall results of the People’s Action Party."

Cheers

Dear Porifirio

A "minder' would be in order. James is an excellent speaker. Have not heard Dr Tan so will not comment but Dr Poh needs a lot of work

Locke

A

Alu862

James is thus giving the green light for the PAP while causing traffic jams elsewhere

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, everyone has their own opinions, and I think while some will strongly disagree, overall, I don't think his views should hamper him. I agree there are risks for James Gomez to permanently move to Singapore.

But you can only go so far in local elections as a nomad- eventually Singaporeans, in order to trust you, must see you more and in the flesh. And some older ones are simply not IT-savvy.