• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is WP Stronger or more Vulnerable in future 3 corner fights?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
well said.

I stand by my point that Faisal CV is the weakest of the lot

u better talk to more malays before u make that point. malays had always been pap vote bank, the fact wp can win aljunied grc, malay swing votes play a big part to that victory. i had never seen many malays at wp rallies prior to 2011GE. all there are the odds malay uncles gather at small corners. But in this 2011GE, there a increase in malay numbers, mostly are of 20-30 years old. On the polling day, many malays came with families to hougang stadium to wait for result. if Faisal is not a draw, then wp victory in aljunied would not have been possible.

i dunno about you, when i choose my mp, his/her education / career level is not high in my priority. i only want a mp that can fight for my rights, period.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
if Faisal is not a draw, then wp victory in aljunied would not have been possible

bro,

if you looked at the turnout during the WP rally at Bedok Reservoir back in 88, our Malay & Indian brothers came out in strength too. as much as Faisal's presence cannot be discounted, the hard truth was harder to swallow :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

So what Ram said was correct. Even if you have no other job, you cannot be a full-time MP. But how do you define a full- time MP?

Annoyed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't like to flog a dead horse, but if this was true, I'm not sure what Glenda expects the WP CEC to do since Eric Tan left on his own accord. I hope that she can continue to keep her hurt feelings in check, if she's keen on pursuing
a serious career in politics.

btw, do not know if Ramseth will agree with me on this but Glenda and Eric are related..naturally she felt hurt that her kin was not even considered for a CEC post...

Yes, thanks, I couldn't have put it better myself.

Secondly, being he Sinkie that you are, you immediately diss off the Malay population in Aljunied GRC as an insignificant factor...

I do value certain qualifications, but I don't necessarily need my MP to be an ex-doctor or ex-lawyer. C'mon, that's so 20th century, and last I checked, we are already in the second decade of the noughties.

i dunno about you, when i choose my mp, his/her education / career level is not high in my priority. i only want a mp that can fight for my rights, period.

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Faisal has high respect and standing in the Malay community, AMP and even MUIS. He's Rahizan's goood friend EA in GE 2006 and in 2011 Rahizan gave him his berth in Aljunied to him believing that he stood a better chance of garnering more Malay votes.

not-full-time-mp.jpg

There you have it. It's PAP creed that no MPs should declare themselves full-time MPs except ministers.

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Don't get your point. Faisal and them have already won. I thought the weakest link review is only applicable to a losing team.

So what Ram said was correct. Even if you have no other job, you cannot be a full-time MP. But how do you define a full- time MP?

LKY definition, no PAP MP must rely on MP allowance as primary source of income.

Don't like to flog a dead horse, but if this was true, I'm not sure what Glenda expects the WP CEC to do since Eric Tan left on his own accord. I hope that she can continue to keep her hurt feelings in check, if she's keen on pursuing
a serious career in politics.

She's related to more than Eric. But that's private matter, not for me say too much here.

JohnnyQuid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't get your point. Faisal and them have already won. I thought the weakest link review is only applicable to a losing team.

LKY definition, no PAP MP must rely on MP allowance as primary source of income.

She's related to more than Eric. But that's private matter, not for me say too much here.

Bro Ramseth, very aptly put...Btw, IMHO, Glenda is moving on and Faisal, and I say to his detractors, is gaining momentum slowly but surely....

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroo

The route and plan to a PAP victory in Aljunied lay in localizing the elections and through a Malay Victory. The opposition road to victory lay in not losing as high a percentage of the Malay vote as in the previous GE and making up the difference in other areas. Please note that the redistricting and redrawing out of Opposition leaning parts of Aljunied near Hougang and replacing it with Malay and PAP leaning parts of Marine Parade was a racial double whammy making a swing all that more difficult to achieve the necessary swing to 50.1%

The statements and predictions and polling by external agencies pointed to a national drop ( Seren and Scroo ) , the history of gerrymandering says that in a FPTP system even with a national drop, one can gerry mander safe constituencies to the benefit of the ruling party. They tried to gerrymander a victory in Aljunied but failed.

I believe that the PAP still won the majority of the Malay Vote in K Bukit. However the margin was not large enough to offset the erosion in support in other areas and its majority fell due to the following reasons.

a. Middle Class malays finding common cause with Middle Class Chinese in the squeeze and FT issues.

b. Kampung effect magnified by social media and a sense of shared grievance with the Chinese,

c. Erosion of Leadership Halo effect. Strange as it seems the model for Malay Politics is or used to be. Win over the headman , community leaders, the votes of the malay community follows. It was the same in Malaysia but then the Middle Class grew a brain and realized the Malay leaders were ripping them off and hence PR in Selagnor . To a similar extent the same effect is being replicated in SINGAPORE.

d. Faisal drew or had a narrow lost to Zanuil a Malay Grad and Minister. The Malays more so than other races expect their leaders to well be more educated, etc etc then them, a sort of aspirational element to it. It took a lot including hard truths to make them go across the other direction. The Workers Party and Faisal in particular will have a lot of work in the next five years solidifying the ground and recruiting better Malay candidates. East Coast and MP are vulnerable or highly weak.

Locke

well said.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
The Workers Party and Faisal in particular will have a lot of work in the next five years solidifying the ground and recruiting better Malay candidates. East Coast and MP are vulnerable or highly weak

:p:p:p enhancing the gotong royong spirit is the way to go :p:p:p

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kannina, i certainly hope the WP leadership are not all blood-related like the famiLEE!!!

WP should clarify since the cat ish out of the bag....

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I do value certain qualifications, but I don't necessarily need my MP to be an ex-doctor or ex-lawyer. C'mon, that's so 20th century, and last I checked, we are already in the second decade of the noughties.

the last i look, faisal have uni degree. so what other qualification u need?

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bro,

if you looked at the turnout during the WP rally at Bedok Reservoir back in 88, our Malay & Indian brothers came out in strength too. as much as Faisal's presence cannot be discounted, the hard truth was harder to swallow :eek::eek::eek:

that was francis time rite?

but in 2006GE, WP did fare badly on malays votes. 2011GE, with the WP leaning HG ave 8 chop to AMK, there a lot of chinese votes lost and add in the bedok north of 25-30% malays, WP did very well despite pap gerrymandering.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't know how WP fare with the Malay during GE2011 but I do noticed there were far lesser Malay at WP rallies compare to their population proportion. Perhaps less than 5%.

One thing to note that Pritam diploma in Islamic study may also help to win over some Malay/muslim votes. So WP had effectively deployed 2 candidates to counter Zainal.

Last edited:

Annoyed

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have no issue with blood relations, actually. it's pretty common for members of the same family to be involved in politics; it's what you do (or not) with those relations that count.

Kannina, i certainly hope the WP leadership are not all blood-related like the famiLEE!!!

WP should clarify since the cat ish out of the bag....

Nothing. Like I said, we're already into the second decade of the noughties.

the last i look, faisal have uni degree. so what other qualification u need?