• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is this Canadian Doctor for Real - Type 2 Diabetes is Reversible?

gsh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dr Jason Fung sounds very convincing and logical but is it for real?

I live in Canada. I have followed him for 8 years. I read his books. My diabetes was in the stage of doubling my medication. The doctor wanted to introduce insulin. I was given Satin because my cholesterol and triglycerides were high. I had knee pains, tennis elbow, back pain, spondylosis, and my HbA1C was above 9. I stopped my Statin after one month because I did not like the side effects. I cut down my carbo, did fasting as recommended. The blood test revealed that all key results went back to normal after 3-4 months. I cut my diabetes medication by half taking only metformin. Not easy to fast but need discipline. After 8 years now, It is not a cure but an ability to control the development of diabetes and its bad effect. If I get back to my old lifestyle, I am sure I will revert back to my old conditions. It has become a new lifestyle for me.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I live in Canada. I have followed him for 8 years. I read his books. My diabetes was in the stage of doubling my medication. The doctor wanted to introduce insulin. I was given Satin because my cholesterol and triglycerides were high. I had knee pains, tennis elbow, back pain, spondylosis, and my HbA1C was above 9. I stopped my Statin after one month because I did not like the side effects. I cut down my carbo, did fasting as recommended. The blood test revealed that all key results went back to normal after 3-4 months. I cut my diabetes medication by half taking only metformin. Not easy to fast but need discipline. After 8 years now, It is not a cure but an ability to control the development of diabetes and its bad effect. If I get back to my old lifestyle, I am sure I will revert back to my old conditions. It has become a new lifestyle for me.
May I know if you cure it by fasting, lowering your body weight and cutting carbo?

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
May I know if you cure it by fasting, lowering your body weight and cutting carbo?
The problem with fasting type of cure is that you don't eat yes you can leeduce fats and weight but same time you will lose other vital nutrients and end up with other disease.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The problem with fasting type of cure is that you don't eat yes you can leeduce fats and weight but same time you will lose other vital nutrients and end up with other disease.
Take protein, try to maintain as much muscle as possible.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Long time no see. Surprised to see you here! Hope you and your wife are well and keeping safe
Happy Thanksgiving!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fasting prevents and heals a lot of problems, and diabetes is not the worst of those problems.

Most gluttonous Sinkies lack the discipline to do that, constantly bombarded with food temptations everywhere, and now on your phones. :biggrin:

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just my 2 cents. Cut down carbs and processed desserts. Like those super market cakes etc. Cut down trans fats n makan natural oils like butter and lard. Eat chees and nuts and cut down on salt. More fruits and veges. And for supplements. Take magnesium. Best is powder form and chromium. They are proven to prevent diabetes. The problem is Singkieland food is high carb and bad oils...can eat but all in moderation. And makan dragon fruit. Good for diabetics.

asenmaga

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everyone's body reacts to different type of food differently , there is no one method is applicable to everyone .

The goal of the Endocrinologist is to get his patient to maintain a normal blood glucose stable and in the normal range , mostly thru medications.

With the availability of CGM, one can find out which food will caused a blood glucose spike. Keeping a Food diary helps .

I know a couple of social media friends who have their T2D "cured" , meaning they took the OGTT and passed it . They have the test results to proof it .

There are many methods that could put T2D into
"remission" meaning able to have normal blood glucose thru different food choices and Lifestyle Changes .

There are Whole Food Plant based ( WFPB), Low Carbohydrate , Ketogenic , Carnivore , Intermittent Fasting , Time Restricted Feeding etc etc . One should find those that you are comfortable with and works for U . Some that works for others but may not work for you .

Plenty of information available on youtube , do your research and due diligence before beginning .

Lastly , some form of physical activity helps in BG control . A 30-40 mins walk after a meal will help to moderate the Blood glucose Spike .

Ps from past experience , most medical professionals in SG are not supportive as they only follow MOH guidelines .

Last edited:

asenmaga

Alfrescian
Loyal
Firstly I only post on stuff I have experienced in .
I am a T2D for more than 20 years . I was on Metformin , Novonorm for diabetes and also ACE Inhibitor for High blood Pressure and for protection of Kidney .

Before I started my Journey into T2D remission , I went to consult my regular family GP . Only thing I had from him , he was against it and only stressed medication as the only form .

Even After a heated debate , I still decided to followed what I had planned since I spend lot of time on various research and due diligence .

On the third day I was able to be off all diabetic medications ( it is important to test very often since you are at risk of Low blood glucose if your are on blood glucose lowering medication).

After 1 month , I also took off my ACE inhibitor as my blood pressure was getting too low and I discussed with the doctor whether there was any lower dosage , there wasn't since I was taking the lowest at 4mg .

It was the only medication I was reluctant to give up since it has kidney protection benefit but was forced to give up since my BP was getting low and felt "light headed"

I lost more than 10 kg during my journey . As stated clearly in my previous post , what works for me may not works for everyone, one need to find one they are comfortable with and able to maintain it over the long haul , need to be a lifestyle .

I test my blood glucose on a regular basis , morning fasting , before meal and after meal. I also used CGM whenever I am trying to experiment something .

During this journey my Hba1c range have been 4.9% to 5.4% . Fasting BG have been 6 to 4.3 mmol/L .

I do an annual test for , Fasting Blood Glucose , Fasting Serum Insulin and also Fasting C Peptide. ( also various liver and kidney function lab test ).

There is one American who like to send me various research and clinical studies to justify what is the best method etc etc.

As far as I am concerned , there could be 10,000 clinical studies but it is not what my body can adapt to it is pointless .

I am a believer of N=1 experiment, 1 being myself . If after trying out for 1-3 months and all parameters seems to be in the optimum range , than that will be the one for me .

After more than 3 years on this journey , my hba1c have not gone above 5.4% . Unfortunately in SG you can only take the normal OGTT which don't really tell u the full picture. You need to have the Insulin Assay with it to know the full picture ( Kraft test).

There is no money for the big Pharm and medical professionals that is why very few are receptive to you trying to use food choices and lifestyle changes .

The America Diabetes Association 's CEO Tracy Brown who is also a T2D manages her condition by using food choices too .

Ps as can be seen from my post , I am not pushing any form of plan ,I have listed a few and it is up to individual to find one that fits them.

Only cautious I would add is make sure that your body is still producing Insulin before beginning as there are potential life threatening situation for them in some situation .

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Firstly I only post on stuff I have experienced in .
I am a T2D for more than 20 years . I was on Metformin , Novonorm for diabetes and also ACE Inhibitor for High blood Pressure and for protection of Kidney .

Before I started my Journey into T2D remission , I went to consult my regular family GP . Only thing I had from him , he was against it and only stressed medication as the only form .

Even After a heated debate , I still decided to followed what I had planned since I spend lot of time on various research and due diligence .

On the third day I was able to be off all diabetic medications ( it is important to test very often since you are at risk of Low blood glucose if your are on blood glucose lowering medication).

After 1 month , I also took off my ACE inhibitor as my blood pressure was getting too low and I discussed with the doctor whether there was any lower dosage , there wasn't since I was taking the lowest at 4mg .

It was the only medication I was reluctant to give up since it has kidney protection benefit but was forced to give up since my BP was getting low and felt "light headed"

I lost more than 10 kg during my journey . As stated clearly in my previous post , what works for me may not works for everyone, one need to find one they are comfortable with and able to maintain it over the long haul , need to be a lifestyle .

I test my blood glucose on a regular basis , morning fasting , before meal and after meal. I also used CGM whenever I am trying to experience something .

During this journey my Hba1c range have been 4.9% to 5.4% . Fasting BG have been 6 to 4.3 mmol/L .

I do an annual test for , Fasting Blood Glucose , Fasting Serum Insulin and also Fasting C Peptide. ( also various liver and kidney function lab test ).

There is one American who like to send me various research and clinical studies to justify what is the best method etc etc.

As far as I am concerned , there could be 10,000 clinical studies but it is not what my body can adapt to it is pointless .

I am a believer of N=1 experiment, 1 being myself . If after trying out for 1-3 months and all parameters seems to be in the optimum range , than that will be the one for me .

After more than 3 years on this journey , my hba1c have not gone above 5.4% . Unfortunately in SG you can only take the normal OGTT which don't really tell u the full picture. You need to have the Insulin Assay with it to know the full picture ( Kraft test).

There is no money for the big Pharm and medical professionals that is why very few are receptive to you trying to use food choices and lifestyle changes .

The America Diabetes Association 's CEO Tracy Brown who is also a T2D manages her condition by using food choices too .

Ps as can be seen from my post , I am not pushing any form of plan ,I have listed a few and it is up to individual to find one that fits them.

Only cautious I would add is make sure that your body is still producing Insulin before beginning as there are potential life threatening situation for them in some situation .
Kudos to you!

What you have described I truly believe you are doing it properly and soundly.

Like you said it is not for everyone. I had patients who also went off their DM meds with very drastic diet and lifestyle changes.

I dont know about your doctor but for my patients if they do want to do something like what you did I would have open discussion with them and suggest they start on their plan without going off meds right away. We can wean off as appropriate as we go along. Do the tests to check that the plan is working etc.

With regards to ACE inhibitor looks like Perindopril 4mg might be too much for you causing hypotension. But being on a small dose of ACE or ARB might have renoprotective effects independent of the BP lowering effects. So there might be value in taking a small dose maybe half? 2mg?

Just a suggestion. Doctors these days need to be more open minded. Medicine should not be one size fits all. Having said that I am not sure how SMC treats cases like this.

Many times it is dr actuallu very scared they come across as doing the "wrong thing" causing harm and may get into trouble for not following the guidelines.

Dont blame them. It is the system that almost demands all doctors just follow.