• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is PAP trying to stop overeseas voters from voting in oppositions?

mustspeakup

Alfrescian
Loyal
And the sneaky dirty trick is:

HOW TO REGISTER TO BE AN OVERSEAS ELECTOR

Singapore Citizens who are residing overseas and wish to cast their votes at any of the nine designated overseas polling stations during elections may apply to be registered as overseas electors, provided they satisfy the following qualifying criteria as on 1 February 2010:-

(a) They are Singapore citizen not less than 21 years old;
(b) They have a Singapore residential address registered with the Commissioner of National Registration (at the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority) (ie. a valid local address in the NRIC)...
(c) They are not disqualified from being an elector under any prevailing law; and
(d) They have resided in Singapore for a total of 30 days during the three years immediately before 1 February 2010.
So regardless of whether you have been a Singapore citizen for 5 generations or more, if you were unable to spend at least 1 whole month in Singapore in the past 3 years due to circumstances beyond your control e.g. American workers get just 2 weeks leave per year, you may not have the funds to make several trips to red dot at great cost if you have a family, etc., YOU ARE FARKED AND DENIED YOUR VOTE!

PAP knows that the majority of overseas voters are dead set against its authoritarian rule which is why most left the nation in the first place. Better be kiasu than sorry so throw in every obstacle they can think of to stop Singaporeans overseas from casting their legitimate votes while pretending to international onlookers, "See, we are a democratic country. All citizens get to vote!" Notice that in a REAL democracy like the USA or the UK, all citizens living abroad get to vote simply by calling at the embassy on the day with ID and without petty obstructive rules and regulations.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
You don't even have to look into the qualifying period to know that many voters overseas will not be able to vote.

Just look at the number of overseas polling centres.

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
(a) They are Singapore citizen not less than 21 years old;
(b) They have a Singapore residential address registered with the Commissioner of National Registration (at the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority) (ie. a valid local address in the NRIC)...
(c) They are not disqualified from being an elector under any prevailing law; and
(d) They have resided in Singapore for a total of 30 days during the three years immediately before 1 February 2010.
So regardless of whether you have been a Singapore citizen for 5 generations or more, if you were unable to spend at least 1 whole month in Singapore in the past 3 years due to circumstances beyond your control e.g. American workers get just 2 weeks leave per year, you may not have the funds to make several trips to red dot at great cost if you have a family, etc., YOU ARE FARKED AND DENIED YOUR VOTE!

Might as well add (e) They have anti-PAP sentiments for whatever reasons!

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think U also need to take this into perspective before comp[aring to the UK and US. In UK and US, the political parties practically have to beg for their voters to come and vote. U can look at the example of the last US presidential elections, the democrats and republicans were just as concern to get voters out to vote then they are to actually get voters to vote for them. Obama's election saw the highest recorded number of voters voting, but it only translate to 63% of everyone who can vote.

In SG, voting is compulsory. It's against the law not to vote. The only thing stopping everyone from voting is the number of opposition challenging every ward.

And frankly speaking for someone who is away for 3 yrs and haven't even lived here for 1 month, that person is very out of touch with the situation back home. More importantly, you are assuming that the opposition will get a lot of votes from overseas voters. U need to remember that forgetting the fact that there are a lot of civil servants or GLC employees also working overseas. The numbers are probably going to even themselves.

And more importantly who are actually going to vote, would an opposition party supporter take the trouble to register and vote or would a PAP supporter(under the command of their superiors or otherwise) register and vote

motuiti

Alfrescian
Loyal
You don't even have to look into the qualifying period to know that many voters overseas will not be able to vote.

Just look at the number of overseas polling centres.

Try contacting a Singapore embassy or high commission about how to vote from overseas and see the apathetic reply you get. That is if they even reply to you!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm against overseas voting. It naturally increases PAP votes. Why? Most of the overseas voters who find it most convenient to vote are natural PAP voters - diplomats, embassy and consular staff. See? Anyway, Singapore has a parliamentary system. The voter is supposed to live in the constituency at the close of the electoral register for the election. There's no constituency outside Singapore. Therefore, shouldn't get to vote if living outside Singapore. Especially for those who live outside Singapore for extended periods, there're many updates and changes in Singapore that they haven't personally experienced or don't affect them personally. They shouldn't get to vote based on what they know from media and internet abstractly.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Imho, 30 days is not an unreasonable requirement out of 3 years.

Bearing in mind that electoral offices are to be found only in consular/embassy offices which are found only in the capital cities, this overseas voting thing is more form than substance. Where I lived in Montreal, the nearest one is in Ottawa. So it would not be practical to travel specially to Ottawa where the election office is.

So the real limitation is more abt where and how many electoral offices they set up and whether you have a choice, a real one.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
That may not be so. I for one will vote against the PAP. In fact, I think those who are overseas and have international exposure, will find the PAP's antics rather obnoxious as far as free speech, liberal democracy is concerned. Those overseas also tend not to be afraid of repercussions, or not have any interest in HDB upgrading schemes or other pork barrel vote-buying shenanigans. They are probably far from being highly enamoured of the PAP's policies, which is likely why they are overseas in the first place.

I'm against overseas voting. It naturally increases PAP votes. Why? Most of the overseas voters who find it most convenient to vote are natural PAP voters - diplomats, embassy and consular staff. See? Anyway, Singapore has a parliamentary system. The voter is supposed to live in the constituency at the close of the electoral register for the election. There's no constituency outside Singapore. Therefore, shouldn't get to vote if living outside Singapore. Especially for those who live outside Singapore for extended periods, there're many updates and changes in Singapore that they haven't personally experienced or don't affect them personally. They shouldn't get to vote based on what they know from media and internet abstractly.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal

Don't discriminate me leh. I may have been overseas for quite some time, but Sammyboy puts me on my toes as far as local politics is concerned.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't discriminate me leh. I may have been overseas for quite some time, but Sammyboy puts me on my toes as far as local politics is concerned.

Sammyboy is 99% made up of threads started by pple who pulls facts out of their asses. If U are kept informed of the situation back home via Sammyboy, all the more reason they should stop U from voting :p:p

yuelao

Alfrescian
Loyal
In SG, voting is compulsory. It's against the law not to vote. The only thing stopping everyone from voting is the number of opposition challenging every ward.

Hello, back to spew your crap again? Voting is a privilege. If you do not vote and can't provide a reasonable explanation for not voting, they will simply withdraw your privilege to vote. There is no other punishment although you may have to pay to regain the privilege.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hello, back to spew your crap again? Voting is a privilege. If you do not vote and can't provide a reasonable explanation for not voting, they will simply withdraw your privilege to vote. There is no other punishment.

I've been a bit busy with all my travels since CNY. Havent had time to read or follow too many articles. Glad to know my stalker is still around. I'm traveling again for the next few weeks so U'll have your peace and quiet for a while

SG adopt the compulsory voting route. Here is more info on compulsory voting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_voting

wizard

Alfrescian
Loyal
Simple ....

Take the previous % of overseas voters voting for PAP?

If > 70% , provide a easy way out

If < 70% , give some problem

With a bit of carry balls and "LHL is chose by the team and the team think he is the best, his father got nothing to do with it. I can be minister..

PHUI...

yuelao

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've been a bit busy with all my travels since CNY. Havent had time to read or follow too many articles. Glad to know my stalker is still around. I'm traveling again for the next few weeks so U'll have your peace and quiet for a while

I sure hope you are not leeching off taxpayer funds for your travels. Don't flatter yourself, I am not stalking you, otherwise I would be replying to every single post of yours. I am just preventing others from being misled into believing that you are not the PAPpy Char lAtan that you are.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
(c) They are not disqualified from being an elector under any prevailing law;

very curious about point (c). what do a citizen have to do to be disqualified from voting ? treason?

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
The voter is supposed to live in the constituency at the close of the electoral register for the election. There's no constituency outside Singapore. Therefore, shouldn't get to vote if living outside Singapore. Especially for those who live outside Singapore for extended periods, there're many updates and changes in Singapore that they haven't personally experienced or don't affect them personally. They shouldn't get to vote based on what they know from media and internet abstractly.

There is reason in what you say but there is also the flipside of the coin. As long as they did not renounce their SG citizenship, they may still return to live in SG one day. They should still have the right to decide what kind of SG they would like to return to.

Unless they have never paid a single cent of tax and they are unlikely to be doing so when they move back, I would say that those overseas should still be entitled to vote. In most cases, those who feel little attachment to SG will probably not be bothered to vote, so there is little chance of someone voting irrationally. For those who are passionate, I am sure they would have kept themselves abreast of developments in SG.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
very curious about point (c). what do a citizen have to do to be disqualified from voting ? treason?

Absent from one parliamentary or presidential election, struck off the electoral rolls. I got that before when I was in the US in the 90s (missing the OTC presidential election). Restore name to the rolls with valid reason, admin fee $5 i.i.r.c. Without valid reason, fine how much I'm not sure. Unlike most other countries, Singapore has voting is compulsory law. Being abroad is valid reason to escape fine, but would still get struck off the rolls; up to the voter to apply for restoration. But not restoring by choice is not an offence. After being struck off the rolls, one can just stay off the rolls if one's not really interested and don't risk violating voting is compulsory law anymore.

In prison or in provost detention barrack on polling day for criminal or military offence, disqualified. In IMH, up to doctor to decide whether sound enough to vote or not. No need to mention if under ISA detention.

Last edited:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Absent from one parliamentary or presidential election, struck off the electoral rolls. I got that before when I was in the US in the 90s (missing the OTC presidential election). Restore name to the rolls with valid reason, admin fee $5 i.i.r.c. Without valid reason, fine how much I'm not sure. Unlike most other countries, Singapore has voting is compulsory law. Being abroad is valid reason to escape fine, but would still get struck off the rolls; up to the voter to apply for restoration. But not restoring by choice is not an offence. After being struck off the rolls, one can just stay off the rolls if one's not really interested and don't risk violating voting is compulsory law anymore.

In prison or in provost detention barrack on polling day for criminal or military offence, disqualified. In IMH, up to doctor to decide whether sound enough to vote or not.

wow thank you for your interesting and informative reply.. i was wondering if Tang liang hong (if he is still singaporean) would be disqualified to vote in australia.