• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

In step

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Armour
Morning Encounter:
Read:
The Holy Spirit led Jesus into the desert, so that the devil could test him. After Jesus had gone without eating for forty days and nights, he was very hungry. Then the devil came to him and said, “If you are God’s Son, tell these stones to turn into bread.”
Jesus answered, “The Scriptures say:
‘No one can live only on food.

People need every word
that God has spoken.’”
Next, the devil took Jesus to the holy city and had him stand on the highest part of the temple. The devil said, “If you are God’s Son, jump off. The Scriptures say:
‘God will give his angels
orders about you.

They will catch you
in their arms,
and you won’t hurt
your feet on the stones.’”
Jesus answered, “The Scriptures also say, ‘Don’t try to test the Lord your God!’”

Finally, the devil took Jesus up on a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms on earth and their power. The devil said to him, “I will give all this to you, if you will bow down and worship me.”
Jesus answered, “Go away Satan! The Scriptures say:
‘Worship the Lord your God
and serve only him.’”
(Matthew 4: 1-10)

Reflect:
Jesus began his public ministry with a show down with Satan. We’re told in a rather understated way that after having had no food for forty days he was “very hungry.” (4:2). With no sustenance for that long we can be confident he was physically and emotionally vulnerable. But he was armed with Scripture, and the devil left defeated. The power of God’s word cannot be underestimated. Having the Bible memorised gives us every chance of overcoming attacks from the enemy.

Respond:
Read this verse through a few times, then look away and say it out loud:
‘No one can live only on food. People need every word that God has spoken.’ (Matthew 4:4)

Midday Meditation:
Be on your guard and stay awake. Your enemy, the devil, is like a roaring lion, sneaking around to find someone to attack. But you must resist the devil and stay strong in your faith.’
(1 Peter 5:8)

Evening Reflection:
“Jesus responds to the devil, not by attempting to argue (arguing with temptation is often a way of playing with the idea until it becomes too attractive to resist), but by quoting scripture…. We are unlikely to be tempted in exactly the same way Jesus was, but every Christian will be tested at the points which matter most in her or his life and vocation. It is a central part of Christian vocation to learn to recognise the voices that whisper attractive lies, to distinguish them from the voice of God and to use the simple but direct weapons provided in scripture to rebut the lies with truth.”

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Living in the Tension

Set your minds on things that are above,
not on things that are on earth—Colossians 3:2

You can’t be successful in life without compromising. That’s a lie. You can’t get ahead without adopting the values of the places where you live and where you work. That’s not true. Now, there’s tension, of course. Our cities, our workplaces are part of the world, and the ruler of this world is the enemy (John 12:31, John 14:30, 1 John 5:19). That’s why arrogance, greed, and materialism often characterize these places and bring admiration and status, recognition and promotion. There’s tension because, while the enemy may rule the world—for now—he doesn’t rule us (Colossians 1:13). The one who rules us stands for humility, generosity, and love.

The lie is that we should try to ease this tension—that we should, by compromising, try to make things easier on ourselves. It’s from the enemy. It’s one he uses often:

“Go ahead. It's just the way things work in the real world.”
“You’ve got to do what you’ve got to do to compete . . . to survive.”
“Relax. Everybody does it.”

But we’re “a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession” (1 Peter 2:9). To be that is to live in the tension. You see, we’re sent “into the world,” but we mustn’t be “of the world” (John 17:14-19). When we’re willing to live in the tension, and only then, can this broken world feel the full weight of who we really are—who God intends us to be, with him.

This week, when you walk into any situation—into work in the morning; into conversations with colleagues; into the schools your kids attend; into a restaurant with friends—declare ahead of time, in prayer, that you’re bringing the Kingdom of Jesus with you. Then act like it.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Glory of God
Morning Encounter:
Read:
I am the Lord, the one
who encourages you.
Why are you afraid
of mere humans?

They dry up and die like grass.
I spread out the heavens
and laid foundations
for the earth.

But you have forgotten me,
your Lord and Creator.

All day long you were afraid
of those who were angry
and hoped to abuse you.
Where are they now?

Everyone crying out in pain
will be quickly set free;
they will be rescued
from the power of death
and never go hungry.

I will help them
because I am your God,
the Lord All-Powerful,
who makes the ocean roar.

I have told you what to say,
and I will keep you safe
in the palm of my hand.

I spread out the heavens
and laid foundations
for the earth.

Now I say, “Jerusalem,
your people are mine.”
(Isaiah 51: 12-16)

Reflect:
We worship a God who is knowable. We do not need to speculate or fabricate or embellish: God has revealed himself. God’s character is seen in creation (Romans 1:20), in the person of his son Jesus (Colossians 1:15), and experienced through the Holy Spirit (John 14:26). But the very best way to know God is to know the Bible, and to listen to what he has said about himself. As we come to know more scripture by heart, we will come to know God better.

Respond:
Learn these words from Isaiah by heart and hear God say them to you today:
“I am your God,
the Lord All-Powerful,
who makes the ocean roar.

I have told you what to say,
and I will keep you safe
in the palm of my hand.”

Midday Meditation:
‘Godliness means responding to God’s revelation in trust and obedience, faith and worship, prayer and praise, submission and service. Life must been seen and lived in the light of God’s Word. This and nothing else is true religion.’
(J I Packer Knowing God)

Evening Reflection:
“We can only know a few things about a person by what they make. We can really know them well by what they say. Mountains and microbes, galaxies and goats, they each say some wonderful things about God. But to really know God, to really see and be in awe of the things that are most glorious about him, we must listen carefully to what he says about himself, because God reveals himself primarily by his word. Memorizing his word helps us listen carefully and perceive more glory.”

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't Miss the Boat
"Prepare to meet your God, O Israel!"1

Years ago I was treated to a wonderful seven-day Caribbean Cruise. Joy and I were really looking forward to this break. We were to visit three ports in Mexico and visit some very interesting historic places. We flew to Florida where the ship was berthed and were ready to board when I ran into a problem—a big problem. I, being a Permanent Resident of the U.S., had my Australian passport with me but forgot my Green Card (my U.S. Permanent Resident identification card).

Big mistake.

A well-meaning airline staff member had assured me that all I needed was my passport. Wrong. I was not allowed to even board the ship. I was assured that if I left the U.S., I would never be allowed to re-enter the country without my Green Card and would be sent back to Australia even though I have been a legal resident in the U.S. for many years. A half-hour before the ship sailed our luggage was unloaded and Joy and I, feeling extremely disappointed and let down, flew home to California.

You can rest assured that I will never do anything like that again. I will make absolutely certain that all my travel documents are in order.

This to me was a graphic reminder that we all need to make absolutely certain that all our "documents" (preparations) are in order for when we leave planet earth for eternity. Many a well-meaning friend will seek to assure us that as long as we live a good life, do more good things than bad things, or follow the religion of our choice and are sincere, we will be allowed entrance into God's heaven. Not so. As the U.S. government made the rules that governed my entrance into the U.S., so God makes the rules that govern the entrance into his Heaven.

As God instructed the ancient Israelites to prepare to meet him face to face—the same principle applies to you and me. Thus, it is imperative that we prepare now, while we have the opportunity, to meet God for our turn will come.

Eternity is forever. So be absolutely certain to obtain your "passport" for heaven today. Whatever you do, don't leave earth without it. For help see the article, "Passport for Heaven" at http://tinyurI.com/dm472.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank you that your Word makes it very clear what is required to enter your heaven, and thank you for providing that way through your Son, Jesus Christ. Please help me to make sure that all my 'documentation' is in order. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

1. Amos 4:12 (NKJV).

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Suffering
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Timothy, you know what I teach and how I live. You know what I want to do and what I believe. You have seen how patient and loving I am, and how in the past I put up with trouble and suffering in the cities of Antioch, Iconium, and Lystra. Yet the Lord rescued me from all those terrible troubles. Anyone who belongs to Christ Jesus and wants to live right will have trouble from others. But evil people who pretend to be what they are not will become worse than ever, as they fool others and are fooled themselves.

Keep on being faithful to what you were taught and to what you believed. After all, you know who taught you these things. Since childhood, you have known the Holy Scriptures that are able to make you wise enough to have faith in Christ Jesus and be saved. Everything in the Scriptures is God’s Word. All of it is useful for teaching and helping people and for correcting them and showing them how to live. The Scriptures train God’s servants to do all kinds of good deeds.
(1 Timothy 3:10-17)

Reflect:
Paul experienced terrible suffering for the sake of the gospel, and he makes no bones of the fact that following Christ leads to trouble (v. 12). He clearly has a deep, fatherly love for Timothy, but they are geographically far apart and he can’t protect him. What he can do is give Timothy advice that will keep his soul safe: hold on to the Holy Scriptures (v.15).
Life can be painful. If we have Bible passages committed to memory, they will be there to hold onto in the very worst moments, increasing our faith in Jesus (v. 15), teaching and helping us, showing us how to live (v. 16).

Respond:
Write this down: “Everything in the Scriptures is God’s Word. All of it is useful for teaching and helping people and for correcting them and showing them how to live.” (v.16) Later on today, see if you can write it down again without looking. If you can’t, repeat the process until it is learnt.

Midday Meditation:
“…catastrophe brought out the best in David. In the chaos of lamentation, anger, and bitterness, with storm clouds of murder rolling in across the horizon, we come on this wonderful line: ‘David strengthened himself in the LORD his God’ (1 Samuel 30:6)…As his exterior collapsed, he returned to the interior, rebuilt his primary identity, recovered his base.”
(Eugene Peterson, Leap Over a Wall)

Evening Reflection:
“. . .we must remind ourselves each day that we win. . . .There is nothing we face today – illness, loss, divorce, death – that will not be overcome in the final victory of Jesus. . . . He won, and because we are in him, we win. For sure.”

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing Changes If Nothing Changes
"He [Jesus Christ] came unto his own, and his own received him not."1

Change. It can be very threatening.

Sometimes we unconsciously choose to become ineffective, irrelevant, or even die rather than change. It happens with individuals, marriages, businesses, organizations, and unfortunately with some churches. Even the "church" people of Christ's day who were looking for and expecting the promised Messiah didn't accept him when he came because he didn't come the way they expected him to come, nor did he do what they wanted or expected him to do (that is, overthrow the oppressing Roman rule). Consequently, they rejected Christ, the Messiah, and clung to their irrelevant religious traditions.

Traditions and rituals are effective as long as they are relevant. While truth never changes, times change as do the needs of people, so when our traditions are no longer relevant, we need to be open to change; that is, creative and productive change—not just change for change's sake, or simply to be so-called "politically correct" which, more often than not, is an oxymoron if ever there was one.

The same principle applies to my personal and family life. If I want to see change, instead of doing more of the same—which many of us tend to do when what we are doing isn't working—I need to make some creative and relevant changes.

As the saying goes, "Nothing changes if nothing changes, and if I keep doing what I've always done, I'll keep getting what I've always got, and will keep feeling what I always felt."

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, give me the insight to accept traditions that are relevant; the courage to change the ones that aren't, and the wisdom to know the difference. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

1. John 1:11.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
More Than Words
Morning Encounter:
Read:
My child, remember
my teachings and instructions
and obey them completely.

They will help you live
a long and prosperous life.

Let love and loyalty
always show like a necklace,
and write them in your mind.

God and people will like you
and consider you a success.
With all your heart
you must trust the Lord
and not your own judgment.

Always let him lead you,
and he will clear the road
for you to follow.

Don’t ever think that you
are wise enough,
but respect the Lord
and stay away from evil.

This will make you healthy,
and you will feel strong.

(Proverbs 3: 1-8)

Reflect:
What does it mean to be a Christian? For some it is a belief in Jesus that will get them into heaven. For others it is a commitment to social justice. Jesus taught that it meant entering his kingdom, and living a new life under God’s rule and in his presence. The Bible is more than words: it is a map of the kingdom. As we invest time in absorbing it, it will become more and more precious to us.

Respond:
Memorise Proverbs 3: 5
With all your heart
you must trust the Lord
and not your own judgment.

Always let him lead you,
and he will clear the road
for you to follow.

Midday Meditation:
“Non-discipleship is the elephant in the church. It is not the much discussed moral failures, financial abuses, or the amazing general similarity between Christians and non-Christians...the fundamental negative reality among Christian believers now is their failure to be constantly learning how to live their lives in The Kingdom Among Us.”
(Dallas Willard, The Divine Conspiracy)

Evening Reflection:
“The first fruit of love is the musing of the mind upon God. He who is in love, his thoughts are ever upon the object. He who loves God is ravished and transported with the contemplation of God. “When I awake, I am still with thee” (Ps. 139:18). The thoughts are as travellers in the mind. David's thoughts kept heaven-road. “I am still with Thee.” God is the treasure, and where the treasure is, there is the heart. By this we may test our love to God. What are our thoughts most upon? Can we say we are ravished with delight when we think on God? Have our thoughts got wings? Are they fled aloft? Do we contemplate Christ and glory?”
(Thomas Watson)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
A Godincidence
"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose."1

Yesterday I wrote about missing our Caribbean vacation cruise because I left my "Green Card" (my immigration papers) at home. Consequently, we flew home early. On board the airplane soon after we left Florida en route to California, a doctor or nurse was called for, as a lady with diabetes took very ill and was in serious condition. Apparently there weren't any doctors on board, so Joy, being a nurse, answered the call. She knew exactly what to do, held the lady all the way home, helped to keep her from going into a diabetic coma and quite possibly helped save her life. The crew had called ahead and an ambulance was waiting on the runway to whisk the lady to the hospital as soon as we arrived at our destination.

When we daily commit and trust our life and way to God, we make ourselves available for him to use and never know what circumstances we will face each day. Sometimes circumstances happen for no obvious reason. Other times it's because of our (or somebody else's) poor planning or unwise decisions. And sometimes they happen, not so much as a coincidence, but rather because they are a "Godincidence"—that is, a God thing! At least we do know that God can, and often does, use our mistakes to be a blessing either to ourselves or to another.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank you that 'all things do work together for good to those who love you, to those who are called according to your purpose.' Help me always to see this, and always be available to be used by you to help others when they are in need. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

1. Romans 8:28 (NKJV).

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Faith-Growing
Morning Encounter:
Read:
I want you to know what a struggle I am going through for you, for God’s people at Laodicea, and for all of those followers who have never met me. I do it to encourage them. Then as their hearts are joined together in love, they will be wonderfully blessed with complete understanding. And they will truly know Christ. Not only is he the key to God’s mystery, but all wisdom and knowledge are hidden away in him. I tell you these things to keep you from being fooled by fancy talk. Even though I am not with you, I keep thinking about you. I am glad to know that you are living as you should and that your faith in Christ is strong.
You have accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord. Now keep on following him. Plant your roots in Christ and let him be the foundation for your life. Be strong in your faith, just as you were taught. And be grateful.

Don’t let anyone fool you by using senseless arguments. These arguments may sound wise, but they are only human teachings. They come from the powers of this world and not from Christ.
(Colossians 2:1-8)

Reflect:
We do not grow in spiritual maturity by accident or by natural inclination or by good fortune. We become mature by investing in and fighting for a deeper relationship with God. One we have accepted Christ Jesus as Lord (v.6), we have a lifetime of putting down roots and shoring up foundations (v.7) ahead of us. Memorising the Bible will take time and work, but it is an investment well worth making.

Respond:
Today’s memory verses are slightly longer, but we’ve been practising all week, so I think we’re up to it!
You have accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord. Now keep on following him. Plant your roots in Christ and let him be the foundation for your life. Be strong in your faith, just as you were taught. And be grateful.” (Colossians 2: 6,7)

Midday Meditation:

“We do not need to be hung on the horns of the dilemma of either human works or idleness. God has given us the Disciplines of the spiritual life as a means of receiving his grace. The Disciplines allow us to place ourselves before God so that he can transform us.”
(Richard Foster)

Evening Reflection:
“Blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.”
Jeremiah 17:7-8 (NIV)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
I Know It But I Can't Explain It
"But he, willing to justify himself, said to Jesus, 'And who is my neighbor?'"1

Oldies but goodies: "The pedestrian had no idea which way to go, so I ran over him." That, says the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, is among a list of explanations the company has received for automobile accidents.

Others include: "The other car collided with mine without warning me of its intention."

"I had been driving my car for 40 years when I fell asleep at the wheel and had the accident."

"As I reached an intersection, a hedge sprang up, obscuring my vision."

"I pulled away from the side of the road, glanced at my mother-in-law, and headed over the embankment."

"The telephone pole was approaching fast. I attempted to swerve out of its path when it struck my front end."

"The guy was all over the road. He had to swerve a number of times before I hit him."

"The indirect cause of this accident was a little guy in a small car with a big mouth."

But Metropolitan says the strangest reason of all is, "An invisible car came out of nowhere, struck my car, and vanished."

I guess, like the lawyer who questioned Jesus, it's a human trait that too many of us want to justify ourselves whenever we do wrong or fail to do what we know we should.

However, it's only when we get real and admit our mistakes that we can learn from them, grow, and find forgiveness—from God and others. As Solomon put it, "A man who refuses to admit his mistakes can never be successful. But if he confesses and forsakes them, he gets another chance."2

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to be mature and honest enough to admit when I make a mistake, quit playing the blame-game, and accept full responsibility for all of my actions. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

1. Luke 10:29.
2. Proverbs 28:13 (TLB)(NLT).

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Burning Bush
Morning Encounter:
Introduction
The word “meditation” is sometimes associated with blank faced monks in uncomfortable-looking squats, with the occasional gong going off in the background. Actually, it is nothing more than staying with a thought until it really sinks in. It is chewing the cud as opposed to swallowing whole clumps of grass in one gulp. The Bible is rich and profound, and often we rush over it, missing what it has to say to us. This week we are going to explore a slower, deeper approach to Bible reading.
When you come to read the passage for the day, deliberately slow yourself down. Read it through at least twice, and if you are somewhere you can do this, consider reading it aloud. Note anything that strikes you, any words or phrases that leap out, any questions it raises for you. And then there will be some prompts to help you meditate further on what you’ve read.

Read:
One day, Moses was taking care of the sheep and goats of his father-in-law Jethro, the priest of Midian, and Moses decided to lead them across the desert to Sinai, the holy mountain. There an angel of the Lord appeared to him from a burning bush. Moses saw that the bush was on fire, but it was not burning up. “This is strange!” he said to himself. “I’ll go over and see why the bush isn’t burning up.”

When the Lord saw Moses coming near the bush, he called him by name, and Moses answered, “Here I am.”
God replied, “Don’t come any closer. Take off your sandals—the ground where you are standing is holy. I am the God who was worshiped by your ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.”
Moses was afraid to look at God, and so he hid his face.
Exodus 3:1-6

Reflect:
Moses had grown up in a privileged bubble in the midst of his own people’s suffering. He was an Israelite by birth but circumstances separated him from them. When he intervened on their behalf he alienated himself from them and put himself at risk from his adopted people too. When God appears to him in Midian, he’s isolated, powerless and disconnected from his cultural context.

Imagine you are Moses, in the desert with a herd of sheep and goats. What does the ground feel like? What can you hear and smell? Picture the bush, on fire but not burning up. What is your first thought? What do you feel? Hear God call your name, and tell you the ground is holy. What does it mean to you that he tells you he’s the God of your ancestors?
Why do you think God chooses fire to get Moses’ attention? Why does he ask Moses to remove his shoes? Why did Moses hide his face?

Respond:
What is your response to this revelation of who God is? Put yourself into the story and as you do, ask God to captivate you with his glory.

Midday Meditation:
“Only to sit and think of God,
Oh what a joy it is!
To think the thought, to breathe the Name
Earth has no higher bliss.”
(Frederick W. Faber)

Evening Reflection:
“Anyone who imagines he can simply begin meditating without praying for the desire and the grace to do so, will soon give up. But the desire to meditate and the grace to begin meditating, should be taken as an implicit promise of further graces.”

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Keepers of the Earth
"Then God said, 'Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.'"1

John Ruskin wrote, "God has lent us the earth for our life. It belongs as much to those who are to come after us and those whose names are already written in the book of creation, as to us; and we have no right, by anything that we do, or neglect, to involve them in unnecessary penalties, or deprive them of benefits that are in our power to bequeath."

We know that it isn't God's goal to save the world as it now is, but to save people from it. And we know that in the end times God is going to create a new earth and a new heaven.2 In the meantime, however, that doesn't give any person or nation the right to damage the earth, because God has entrusted the keeping of it and everything in it to mankind. We are therefore responsible for doing just that. The world is not ours. We are to be caretakers of it, for, "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it."3

I'm not suggesting that we be obsessive and/or fanatical in this area as some are today, but that we all be responsible.

Suggested prayer: "Thank you, God, for the beauty of the earth and all that is therein, and, as a citizen of heaven, please help me to be a responsible citizen of earth. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

1. Genesis 1:26 (NIV).
2. Revelation 21:1.
3. Psalm 24:1 (NIV).

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hannah's Prayer
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Hannah was broken-hearted and was crying as she prayed, “Lord All-Powerful, I am your servant, but I am so miserable! Please let me have a son. I will give him to you for as long as he lives, and his hair will never be cut.”
Hannah prayed silently to the Lord for a long time. But her lips were moving, and Eli thought she was drunk. “How long are you going to stay drunk?” he asked. “Sober up!”

“Sir, please don’t think I’m no good!” Hannah answered. “I’m not drunk, and I haven’t been drinking. But I do feel miserable and terribly upset. I’ve been praying all this time, telling the Lord about my problems.”
Eli replied, “You may go home now and stop worrying. I’m sure the God of Israel will answer your prayer.”
“Sir, thank you for being so kind to me,” Hannah said. Then she left, and after eating something, she felt much better.
1 Samuel 1: 10-18

Reflect:
The pain of childlessness has always been acute. In Hannah’s case, there was an added layer of complexity. She was one of two wives, and the other had children. In spite of her husband’s love she feels worthless and inferior. Picture her here, in the temple, an absolute mess of shuddering tears, desperate words tumbling from deep within her, totally unaware of being watched.
Sometimes, the best thing we can do with our grief and pain is to let it be what it is, and tell God about it. Can you imagine yourself as Hannah, so undone she appears drunk? What would it be like to be that exposed before God? What might God say or do in response?

Respond:
Sit still. Allow any pain you are carrying to rise to the surface, and acknowledge the presence of God here with you.

Midday Meditation:
“Whereas the study of Scripture centres on exegesis, the meditation of Scripture centres on internalising and personalising the passage. The written Word becomes a living word addressed to you.”
(Richard Foster, Celebration of Discipline)

Evening Reflection:
“There remains one single duty. It is to keep one’s gaze fixed on the master one has chosen and to be constantly listening, so as to understand and hear and immediately obey his will.” (Jean-Pierre de Caussade)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dare You to Pray This . . .
Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a right spirit within me—Psalm 51:10-11
In the aftermath of adultery and murder, King David pleaded with God. He begged God not to cut him off (Psalm 51:11). You see, David had experienced what it’s like to know God, what it’s like to spend time with him, to listen to him and trust him, to love and be loved by him—and he dreaded losing that closeness and goodness and truth. So, in desperation, he invited God to do something new in him. He invited God to rebuild his heart, in any way he would like (Psalm 51:10). He gave himself up. He gave himself over . . . to whatever work, whatever journey, whatever adventure God might have for him. He decided to trust God more than he trusted himself.

How about we do that too? We may or may not be guilty of adultery or murder, but we’re all sinners. We all carry sin’s taint. “If we say we have no sin . . . the truth is not in us” (1 John 1:8). So how about we too invite God to do something new in us? How about we too give ourselves over to whatever work, whatever journey, whatever adventure God might have for each of us? And, how about we do it, as men, together? We’ll be better for it—God’s brilliant, he’s good, and he loves us. Might it be scary? Sure it might. Might it be a little painful even? Sure it might. Will it be one of the best things we ever do? Absolutely it will.

Pray right now:

“Do a new work in me, God. You’re brilliant and good, and you love me. So do whatever you’d like. And, whatever it is, I’m in. I’ll trust you more than I trust myself.”

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
David & Abigail
Morning Encounter:
Read:
[David said], “I swear that by morning, there won’t be a man or boy left from his family or his servants' families. I pray that God will punish me if I don’t do it!”
Abigail quickly got off her donkey and bowed down in front of David. Then she said:
Sir, please let me explain! Don’t pay any attention to that good-for-nothing Nabal. His name means “fool,” and it really fits him!
I didn’t see the men you sent, but please take this gift of food that I’ve brought and share it with your followers. The Lord has kept you from taking revenge and from killing innocent people. But I hope your enemies and anyone else who wants to harm you will end up like Nabal.

I swear this by the living Lord and by your life.
Please forgive me if I say a little more. The Lord will always protect you and your family, because you fight for him. I pray that you won’t ever do anything evil as long as you live. The Lord your God will keep you safe when your enemies try to kill you. But he will snatch away their lives quicker than you can throw a rock from a sling.
The Lord has promised to do many good things for you, even to make you the ruler of Israel. The Lord will keep his promises to you, and now your conscience will be clear, because you won’t be guilty of taking revenge and killing innocent people.
1 Samuel 25: 22-31

Reflect:
David and his men have been treated very poorly by Nabal whose shepherds they’ve protected in the wilderness, and he is out for revenge. He’s stopped in his tracks by a beautiful woman on a donkey, who risks her life to remind him he is better than this. Revenge is for the Lord; he needs to hold onto God’s promises and hold on to his true identity and purpose.
Imagine him heading down the ravine, fuelled by self-righteous outrage, flat out on his mission to teach the fool a lesson. Listen with him to what Abigail has to say. Why did it change his course?

Respond:
Prayerfully put yourself in this story as David. What are your thoughts and feelings as you set out to take revenge on Nabal? How do Abigail’s words strike you? Of what she says, what hits home to you with greatest force? What does God want to remind you about who you are and who he is?

Midday Meditation:
“Abigail witnesses God’s work in David: God’s call, God’s promise, God’s covenant, God’s word. David’s life is so tangled up in God’s work and revelation that there’s no way he can extricate himself from it and still be himself…His life is formed and conditioned by the tender mercies of God, not the foolish devilries of Nabal.”
(Eugene Peterson, Leap Over a Wall)

Evening Reflection:
“…just as you do not analyse the words of someone you love, but accept them as they are said to you, accept the Word of Scripture and ponder it in your heart, as Mary did. That is all. That is meditation.”

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
No Longer Embarrassed
"God showed how much he loved us by sending his only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through him. This is real love. It is not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins."1

A young boy asked his mother if she would go with him to his elementary school's first teacher-parent conference. To his surprise she said she would go. This embarrassed the boy because, though his mother was beautiful, she had a terrible scar right across one side of her face.

This was the first time his teacher and classmates saw his mother and because of his embarrassment, he withdrew from them and tried to hide himself. However, he overheard his teacher ask how his mother's face was scarred.

"When my son was a baby," the mother replied, "he was in a room that caught on fire. Everyone was afraid to go in because the fire was out of control, so I went in. As I was running toward his crib, I saw a beam coming down and I placed myself over him to shield him. I was knocked unconscious but fortunately, a fireman came in and saved both of us…the scar is permanent but to this day, I have never regretted doing what I did."

Hearing what his mother did for him, the boy ran towards her with tears in his eyes. He hugged her and felt an overwhelming sense of thanks for the sacrifice she made to save his life.2

May we, too, feel an overwhelming sense of gratitude for the sacrifice Jesus Christ made for us in giving his life to save us from our sins and a lost eternity.

Suggested prayer: "Dear Jesus God, once again I thank you for all that you did for me in giving your life to save me from a lost eternity. I offer my life as a living sacrifice to live for and serve you. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Trust
Morning Encounter:
Read:
The holy Lord God of Israel
had told all of you,
“I will keep you safe
if you turn back to me
and calm down.

I will make you strong
if you quietly trust me.”

Then you stubbornly said,
“No! We will safely escape
on speedy horses.”
But those who chase you
will be even faster.

As few as five of them,
or even one,
will be enough
to chase a thousand of you.

Finally, all that will be left
will be a few survivors
as lonely as a flag pole
on a barren hill.

The Lord God is waiting
to show how kind he is
and to have pity on you.

The Lord always does right;
he blesses those who trust him.
Isaiah 30: 15-18

Reflect:
The Jewish land was small and exposed, constantly under threat from stronger nations around it. The temptation to form allegiances with more powerful nations such as Egypt who could offer protection was strong (30:2). But they were God’s chosen people, and he had promised to protect them. They had to make a choice: trust in him, or sort out their own solutions.
Spend some time reflecting on verse 18. Is God having to wait to show you his kindness? How might you be relying on your own strength, or protection from someone or something other than God? Do you really believe he is kind?

Respond:
Ponder the phrase: “he blesses those who trust him.” Allow it to percolate in your mind, and ask the Spirit to speak it to your heart.

Midday Meditation:
“In repentance and rest is your salvation,
In quietness and trust is your strength.”
Isaiah 30:15 (NIV)

Evening Reflection:
“The purpose of meditation is to enable us to hear God more clearly. Meditation is listening, sensing, heeding the light and life of Christ. This comes right to the heart of our faith. The life that pleases God is not a set of religious duties; it is to hear his voice and obey his word.”

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Knowing When to Help
A word from God's Word, the Bible: "Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ…. For every man shall bear his own burden."1

Sometimes the Bible seems to contradict itself. Today's scripture is a prime example where it says, "Bear one another's burdens … for every man must bear his own burden."

Actually, the explanation is simple. In the original language, the first burden represents a burden such as a heavy rock or a weight that one person cannot carry alone because it is far too heavy.

The second burden represents one that each one must carry for himself because it is like a knapsack, one that each individual is quite able to carry.

When we carry another person's knapsack for him, we are being codependent and contributing to the over-dependent's not wanting to take responsibility for himself. This makes us a part of his sickness.

Then there are those people who want God to carry their knapsack. No such luck. God isn't codependent. God will help us where we can't help ourselves. That's why He sent His Son, Jesus, who willingly gave His life to save us from the consequences of our sin. But God will not do for us what we can and need to do for ourselves.

And then some people expect those who are carrying a heavy rock burden to just give it to Jesus! This can be a cop-out because we don't want to help bear another's burdens. It's so much easier for us if they will just take it to the cross and give it to Jesus!

A dear friend just lost a loved one. The grief was tearing her heart to shreds. Could you imagine how insensitive I would have been had I said, "Just take it to Jesus." Yes, she needs to take it to Jesus but she also needs to take it to safe, understanding friends who will perhaps say nothing, but just sit and cry with her, hug her and hold her hand—and be "as Jesus" to her.

We are to weep with those who weep, comfort the sorrowing, hold the hand of a fallen friend and help him/her to his/her feet again. We are to bear one another's burdens when they have been given a "large rock" to carry. And we are to get out of the way of rescuing those who don't want to carry their own "knapsack" burden.

This is one vital way how we fulfill the law of Christ. We serve God by serving people.

Suggested prayer: "Thank you God that you bore my burden of sin when Jesus went to the cross for me. Please help me to be responsible and bear my own 'knapsack' but always be available to help those whose 'rock burden' is far too heavy for them to carry alone. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

1. Galatians 6:2, 5 (NIV).

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who's The Boss?
Morning Encounter:
Read:
You cannot be the slave of two masters! You will like one more than the other or be more loyal to one than the other. You cannot serve both God and money.
I tell you not to worry about your life. Don’t worry about having something to eat, drink, or wear. Isn’t life more than food or clothing? Look at the birds in the sky! They don’t plant or harvest. They don’t even store grain in barns. Yet your Father in heaven takes care of them. Aren’t you worth more than birds?

Can worry make you live longer? Why worry about clothes? Look how the wild flowers grow. They don’t work hard to make their clothes. But I tell you that Solomon with all his wealth wasn’t as well clothed as one of them. God gives such beauty to everything that grows in the fields, even though it is here today and thrown into a fire tomorrow. He will surely do even more for you! Why do you have such little faith?

Don’t worry and ask yourselves, “Will we have anything to eat? Will we have anything to drink? Will we have any clothes to wear?” Only people who don’t know God are always worrying about such things. Your Father in heaven knows that you need all of these. But more than anything else, put God’s work first and do what he wants. Then the other things will be yours as well.
Don’t worry about tomorrow. It will take care of itself. You have enough to worry about today.
Matthew 6: 24-34

Reflect:
Jesus seems to be saying here that if we allow them, our anxieties can rule us. Are we constantly fretting about money? Are we absorbed in a perceived need to craft our image? Are we absorbed by our fears about whether there will be enough? Enough food, enough security, enough company, enough energy?
We have to make a choice. We have to choose whether to be controlled by everyday worries, or to embrace the freedom of serving God.
Re-read the passage, imagining Jesus speaking these words directly to you. How do you feel as you hear them? Is there anything you need to do in response?

Respond:
Bring your worries before your loving Father. Tell him honestly if any of them are threatening to control you and ask him to set you free and help you serve him with all of who you are.

Midday Meditation:
“We cannot but serve our treasures. We labour all day for them and think about them all night. They fill our dreams. But it is not uncommon for people to think they can treasure this world and the invisible kingdom as well, that they can serve both. Perhaps we can make this work for a while. But there will come a time when one must be subordinate to the other. We simply cannot have two ultimate goals or points of reference for our actions.”
(Dallas Willard, The Divine Conspiracy)

Evening Reflection:
“Truly my soul finds rest in God;
my salvation comes from him.
Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
He is my fortress, I shall never be shaken.”
Psalm 62:1-2 (NIV)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perspective
"Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other."1

An American visitor in England was driving with a British friend who made a remark about the windscreen of his car needing to be cleaned.

"You mean the windshield, don't you?" said the American.

"No. Over here, we call it the windscreen," the Englishman said.

"Then you are wrong," the American corrected, "because we invented the automobile and we call it a windshield."

"That is quite true," countered the Englishman, "but don't forget who invented the language."

All of us see things through the lenses shaped and colored by our background. That is, from our perspective. If we would only realize this, many of us wouldn't be as dogmatic as we sometimes are.

In conflict situations or where there is a difference of opinion we need to say, "This is the way I see it," and then ask the other person, "And how do you see it?" Not always, but often the truth is somewhere between the two. Remember, too, it is a very insecure person who is dogmatic, never wrong in his own eyes, and consistently has a neurotic need to be right.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, help me to remember that I always see things from my perspective and that others see things from their perspective. Help me always to be willing to look at and genuinely consider others' point of view, and be ready to see and accept the truth regardless of my personal opinion. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

1. Romans 12:10 (NLT).