• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

In step

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jesus Walking On The Water
Morning Encounter:
Read:
A little while before morning, Jesus came walking on the water toward his disciples. When they saw him, they thought he was a ghost. They were terrified and started screaming.
At once, Jesus said to them, “Don’t worry! I am Jesus. Don’t be afraid.”
Peter replied, “Lord, if it is really you, tell me to come to you on the water.”
“Come on!” Jesus said. Peter then got out of the boat and started walking on the water toward him.

But when Peter saw how strong the wind was, he was afraid and started sinking. “Save me, Lord!” he shouted.
Right away, Jesus reached out his hand. He helped Peter up and said, “You surely don’t have much faith. Why do you doubt?”
When Jesus and Peter got into the boat, the wind died down. The men in the boat worshiped Jesus and said, “You really are the Son of God!”
Matthew 14.25-33

Reflect:
Imagine yourself into this scene. You are sitting in the boat, the damp wood under you is uncomfortable and you are tired, stiff and sore from the cold and the constant movement. It is pitch black; dawn has not yet begun to dissipate the darkness. Then someone gives a yelp, and points, and you are all staring as hard as you can into the nothingness, because there’s a shape, a slight lightness that looks like - no, it couldn’t be - it is… it is Jesus. Now you are all freaked out, and there’s chaos in the boat, as grown men cling to each other and howl in terror.
He’s close enough now that he can be heard. Listen to him say, “I am Jesus. Don’t be afraid.” What do you do next? And what does Jesus say to you?

Respond:
This experience led the disciples to worship. Sit in Jesus’ presence, and acknowledge he is the son of God. Ask him to speak to you.

Midday Meditation:
“The truly Christian imagination never lets Jesus Christ out of her sight…You open your new testament…And, by your imagination you are one of Christ’s disciples on the spot, and are at his feet.”
(Alexander Whyte)

Evening Reflection:
“I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe.”
Ephesians 1.18-19

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who Will Answer?
"And I [God] sought for a man among them, that should build up the wall, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it; but I found none."1

Today's Scripture was written by the prophet Ezekiel at a time when ancient Israel was in captivity because they had turned from God to worship idols. God was looking for someone who would stand in the gap to lead the people back to him—but he found no one to do this. How tragically sad this was.

This Scripture reminds me of the lyrics of "Who Will Answer?" by Ed Ames written in 1968 during the Vietnam War. This chanting song had a tremendous impact on me the first time I heard it. I can still remember exactly where I was when I heard it and who sang it!

Back then it was a time of turmoil with many unanswered questions. Ed's lyrics were a cry from the human heart wanting answers. They spoke about people searching from the canyons of their mind, stumbling blindly while searching for the truth. They spoke about the emptiness of faded dreams from a failed marriage; of a youthful soldier whose arms would never hold his child because he was dying on a distant battlefield; of desperate souls committing suicide; and the ongoing threat of nuclear war with a desperate plea: "Dear God, Oh, why, oh, why? The final question being, "Who will answer?"2

Tragically, more and more, at least here in the U.S.A., like ancient Israel, we too are increasingly turning away from God which can readily lead to the path of self-destruction. Consequently, God is looking for committed people "who will answer" life's questions, and who will stand in the gap to point the way back to God. There are also millions of people worldwide for whom God is also looking for people to stand in the gap to point them to God.

The person/s God is looking for are simply those who make themselves available for him to use. So, will you, today, be one for whom God is looking and pray from the heart: "I am available God, please use me?"

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, I hear your call for people to stand in the gap to bring lost souls to you. I am available. Please make me usable and use me to help bring others to you. I am willing to be made willing to go where you want me to go and to do what you want me to do. So help me God. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Last Supper
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Jesus said to his disciples, “Don’t be worried! Have faith in God and have faith in me. There are many rooms in my Father’s house. I wouldn’t tell you this, unless it was true. I am going there to prepare a place for each of you. After I have done this, I will come back and take you with me. Then we will be together. You know the way to where I am going.”
Thomas said, “Lord, we don’t even know where you are going! How can we know the way?”
“I am the way, the truth, and the life!” Jesus answered. “Without me, no one can go to the Father. If you had known me, you would have known the Father. But from now on, you do know him, and you have seen him.”

John 14.1-7
Reflect:
The disciples are in an upstairs room eating their Passover meal together. The lamps are burning low, most of the food has gone, and there’s something in the air: an urgency, a tension, a sense of something big and ominous just over the horizon. Put yourself in the picture. What do you see, smell, taste? Where are you sitting?
Jesus has told you he’s going to be leaving you, and you are a mess of emotions: grief and fear, and maybe some anger.
Consider what Jesus promises - a place in his father’s house. How does this change how you feel about his imminent departure? How does it change how you feel about the circumstances you face today, in your life?

Respond:
Jesus' statement that he is “the way, the truth and the life” is very familiar and often quoted. Think about each word in turn, what it means, and how you have experienced its reality.

Midday Meditation:
“He who testifies to these things says, ‘Yes, I am coming soon.’
Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.
The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God’s people. Amen.”
Revelation 22.20-21

Evening Reflection:
“Jesus Christ is, of course, the Door, the Light, and the Way. We are privileged to walk in this profound reality…We first receive God into our minds by receiving Jesus. The way forward then lies in intentionally keeping the scenes and words of the New Testament Gospels before our minds, carefully reading and rereading them day by day. We revive them in word and imagination as we arise in the morning, move through the events of the day, and lie down at night. By this means we walk with Him moment by moment—the One who promised to be with us always.”

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Becoming Fast & Light
How can we who died to sin still live in it?—Romans 6:2
Imagine being fast and light when moving through this life. Imagine being free from things that weigh you down, hold you back. Imagine being free to roam, free to rest. Imagine being free from sin and shame and striving and worry and self-doubt. Imagine being free to love, free to slow down, free to go wherever God calls you to go and to do whatever God calls you to do.

Brother, that’s the kind of life our King, Jesus Christ, has made available—and to which he calls us now. If he hadn’t come, we wouldn’t be able to access it. The things that encumber us would become prisons too strong for us to escape. But our King did come. He kicked open the prison doors. He knocked down the prison walls. He did what we could never do. He set us free (Galatians 5:1). Now we must do our part.

Because we find ourselves without prison walls, we’ve got to stop acting like prisoners and lay down prisoner habits and prisoner beliefs (Hebrews 12:1). We must adopt the practices of free men, men who’re fast and light . . . able to live transparent lives, free from hiding and posing, free to confess struggles and sin openly in community . . . able to make decisions with our lives and our families that align with our King, though probably not with our culture . . . and able to stop and care and help and love people, especially those in need.

What weighs you down? What holds you back? Spend a moment praying and reflecting. Trust that God the Holy Spirit will guide your thoughts. Now, make two lists. On the left, name your top encumbrances—old sin habits, old beliefs. On the right, specify how you’ll commit to laying them down.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kingdom First
Morning Encounter:
Introduction
This week we explore the practices of simplicity. Many of us long for some simplicity in our overstretched, demanding and distracted everyday lives. Jesus teaches us that freedom is not found in having more and doing more. A simpler life starts with an inward focus on God, which results in an outward lifestyle of simplicity.

Read:
Jesus said to his disciples: I tell you not to worry about your life! Don’t worry about having something to eat or wear. Life is more than food or clothing. Look at the crows! They don’t plant or harvest and they don’t have storehouses or barns. But God takes care of them. You are much more important than any birds. Can worry make you live longer? If you don’t have power over small things, why worry about everything else? Look how the wild flowers grow!

They don’t work hard to make their clothes. But I tell you that Solomon with all his wealth wasn’t as well clothed as one of these flowers. God gives such beauty to everything that grows in the fields, even though it is here today and thrown into a fire tomorrow. Won’t he do even more for you? You have such little faith! Don’t keep worrying about having something to eat or drink. Only people who don’t know God are always worrying about such things.Your Father knows what you need. But put God’s work first and these things will be yours as well.
(Luke 12.22-31)

Reflect:
When we are citizens of God’s kingdom, we have begun eternity now and we have nothing to fear, because all that really matters in our life is totally secure: we have untouchable treasure in heaven. This frees us to live simply - satisfied and content with food, clothing and God. When we live out of a clear understanding that we have what we need, anxious stockpiling and grasping more and more stuff will seem as ridiculous as it is.

Respond:
What are you anxious about today? Where do you need to seek first the Kingdom and find reassurance in his love and care for you?

Midday Meditation:
“The central point for the Discipline of Simplicity is to seek the kingdom of God and the righteousness of his kingdom first and then everything necessary will come in its proper order. It is impossible to overestimate the importance of Jesus’ insight at this point. Everything hinges upon maintaining ‘first things as first’”.
(Richard J. Foster Celebration of Discipline)

Evening Reflection:
Our Father in heaven, help us to honour your name.
Come and set up your kingdom, so that everyone on earth will obey you, as you are obeyed in heaven.
Give us our food for today. Forgive us for doing wrong, as we forgive others.
Keep us from being tempted and protect us from evil.
(Matthew 6.9-13)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
What You See
"I lift up my eyes to the hills—where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth."1

In his book, A Kick in the Seat of the Pants (don't you love the title?), Roger von Oech talks about developing a certain mind set. For example, look around you and pick out a number of items that have the color red or blue in them. You'll find them all over the place. You'll see things you never noticed before. When you take up jogging, you'll notice more joggers than ever before. Or when you buy a new car, you'll be noticing that make and model of car just about everywhere you go.

When you are looking for something, it's amazing how often you see it.

Sometimes, perhaps oftentimes, God may seem far away, distant, or even absent and our prayers don't seem to rise beyond the ceiling. The problem isn't that God has moved. There can be many reasons for this, one of which being that we haven't developed a "God" mindset. Once we do, we will see evidence of his presence everywhere we look. There is at least a measure of truth in the saying: "What you see is what you get!" Or perhaps we could put it this way, "What we see is who we are," and "What you are looking for is what you will find."

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please open the eyes of my heart and understanding so I can see you everywhere I look. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

1. Psalm 121:1-2 (NIV).

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Storing Treasures
Morning Encounter:
Read:
If you love money and wealth, you will never be satisfied with what you have. This doesn’t make sense either. The more you have, the more everyone expects from you. Your money won’t do you any good—others will just spend it for you. If you have to work hard for a living, you can rest well at night, even if you don’t have much to eat. But if you are rich, you can’t even sleep.
(Ecclesiastes 5.10-12)

Reflect:
The author here reflects on the accumulation wealth and the lack of satisfaction it brings. He is asking which position is preferable – to be a rich man suffering with insomnia due to worry, or a poorer labourer who works hard but is able to sleep well? Paul wrote that the ‘love of money is the root of all kinds of evil’ (1 Timothy 6.10). Jesus also saw the grip that wealth can have, which is why he commands his followers ‘do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth’ (Matthew 6.19).

Respond:
Attempt to give away a possession each day this week. Who could you bless with something you own? Practise generosity: buy lunch for someone, tip double or just leave a cash gift with someone who could really use it right now.

Midday Meditation:
‘Simplicity is the only thing that sufficiently reorients our lives so that possessions can be genuinely enjoyed without destroying us. Without simplicity we will either capitulate to the ‘mammon’ spirit of this present evil age, or we will fall into an un-Christian legalistic asceticism. Both lead to idolatry. Both are spiritually lethal.’
(Richard J. Foster Celebration of Discipline)

Evening Reflection:
I come to you, Lord, for protection.
Don’t let me be ashamed.
Do as you have promised and rescue me.
Listen to my prayer and hurry to save me.

Be my mighty rock and the fortress where I am safe.
You, Lord God, are my mighty rock and my fortress.
Lead me and guide me, so that your name will be honoured.

(From Psalm 31)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bring Life into Alignment
. . . get out there and walk
. . . on the road God called you to travel—Ephesians 4:1-3
A steel beam has integrity when its purpose, its design, its manufacture, and its use are aligned. Said another way, to have integrity a beam must be designed and manufactured for a specific purpose—and it must actually be used toward that purpose. We can count on a beam like that, even to bear a heavy and important load, because all its existence is in alignment.

Though considerably more complex and wondrous, obviously, than a steel beam, we humans need alignment too, to have that kind of integrity. You see, God designs and builds us for specific purposes:

“For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them” (Ephesians 2:10).

God gives us natural talents and spiritual gifts and hearts with unique passions. And he shapes us further by our individual journeys. So, for each of us, our purposes, our design, and the way we’re built are always aligned. God does that. Unlike the beam, however, he allows us to choose our uses. He allows us to choose how we spend our lives. If we ask and search, listen and discover what he had in mind when he dreamt us up and knit us together—and then allow ourselves to be used in the ways he intends—we bring our lives into full alignment. If we strike out on our own, though, and follow the world’s “oughts” into other uses altogether, we commit ourselves to living lives of misalignment.

Start small and be practical. Come up with a short-term project that requires your unique skills and abilities, your unique spiritual gifts (if you know them), and your unique passions. Choose something with significance—i.e., it helps others. Then, don’t wait. Get going on it.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Travelling Light
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Then he called together his twelve apostles and sent them out two by two with power over evil spirits. He told them, “You may take along a walking stick. But don’t carry food or a travelling bag or any money. It’s all right to wear sandals, but don’t take along a change of clothes. When you are welcomed into a home, stay there until you leave that town. If any place won’t welcome you or listen to your message, leave and shake the dust from your feet as a warning to them.” The apostles left and started telling everyone to turn to God. They forced out many demons and healed a lot of sick people by putting olive oil on them.
(Mark 6.7-13)

Reflect:
Jesus called his first disciples to travel light as they were sent out to proclaim the kingdom of God. This was to encourage the disciples to be dependent upon God for all kinds of provision. Just like the disciples, our security is not found in possessions and money – but in God alone.

Respond:
How can you travel light this week? Could this involve taking on fewer commitments, or living on a reduced budget? Could you give away possessions you no longer need and giving them to charity?

Midday Meditation:
'Christians have had so much to say with our mouths and so little to show with our lives. I am sorry that so often we have forgotten the Christ of our Christianity.'
(Shane Claiborne)

Evening Reflection:
God to enfold me,
God to surround me,
God in my speaking,
God in my thinking.

God in my sleeping,
God in my waking,
God in my watching,
God in my hoping.

God in my life,
God in my lips,
God in my soul,
God in my heart.

God in my sufficing,
God in my slumber,
God in mine ever-living soul,
God in mine eternity. (Celtic Prayer)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seize the Day
"A spiritual gift is given to each of us as a means of helping the entire church."1

"Motivational speaker Danny Cox tells about a 'Broom Hilda' cartoon in which her naive, innocent little friend Irwin puts on a long-tailed formal tuxedo jacket, picks up a conductor's baton and walks into the woods alone.

"Irwin steps up on a fallen tree trunk and begins to wave his arms as if to conduct. There are no musicians, only rocks, trees and flowers. Soon, musical notes pour from the rocks, trees and flowers and fill the panel.

"Finally, Irwin turns and confidently says to the reader, 'It's all in there; you just have to work at getting it out.'"2

Michelangelo, the great artist, said, "I saw the angel in the marble and chiseled until I set it free." That, my friend, is what God wants to do for you and me. Every one of us has gifts, abilities, and talents that God wants us to see, develop, and use in some way (large or small) for the betterment of others and the enrichment of mankind. Remember that God has a place for you and what you have to offer—no matter how small or large your giftedness may be—in his work in your world. There are no exceptions to this rule!

As Irwin said, "It's all in there. You just have to work at getting it out."

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank you for the gifts, abilities and talents you have given to me. Please help me to identify these, develop them and use them for serving you by helping others and therein help make my world a better place in which to live. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Soul Care
Morning Encounter:
Read:
What will you gain, if you own the whole world but destroy yourself? What would you give to get back your soul?
(Matthew 16.26)

Reflect:
Our soul is the deepest part of us; it integrates all the parts of mind, body and will. As Dallas Willard says: ‘What is running your life at any given moment is your soul. Not external circumstances, not your thoughts, not your intentions, not your feelings, but your soul…the soul is the life centre of human beings.’ (Renovation of the Heart). To lose our soul means to lose our sense of a divine centre, to become disconnected from God. Acquiring the whole world could not make up for losing our soul. And we lose our soul when we chase the things this world offers.

Respond:
Do something today that lifts your soul to God. Do something that connects you to God’s grace, energy and joy. Enjoy sunshine, a great view, a beautiful piece of music, conversation with friends who love you, an early night. Re-connect with God, slow down; don’t rush today.

Midday Meditation:
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths for his name’s sake. (From Psalm 23 NRSV)

Evening Reflection:
Find rest, my soul, in God alone, amid the world's temptations;
When evil seeks to take a hold, I'll cling to my salvation.

Though riches come and riches go, don't set your heart upon them;
The fields of hope in which I sow, are harvested in heaven.

O praise Him, hallelujah, My Delight and my reward;
Everlasting, never failing, My Redeemer, my God

(Stuart Townend My Soul Finds Rest in God Alone)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
God Gives Wisdom and Understanding
Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD,
and find the knowledge of God.

For the LORD giveth wisdom:
out of his mouth cometh
knowledge and understanding.

He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous:
he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly.

He keepeth the paths of judgment,
and preserveth the way of his saints.

Then shalt thou understand righteousness,
and judgment, and equity; yea, every good path.

Proverbs 2:5-9 KJV

And in that day shall the deaf hear
the words of the book,
and the eyes of the blind
shall see out of obscurity,
and out of darkness.

The meek also shall increase
their joy in the LORD,
and the poor among men shall rejoice
in the Holy One of Israel.

They also that erred in spirit
shall come to understanding,
and they that murmured
shall learn doctrine.

Isaiah 29:18,29,24 KJV

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith
that saves is faith in Him.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
“Are they Israelites? so am I.”

2 Corinthians 11:22

We have here a personal claim , and one that needs proof. The apostle knew that his claim was indisputable, but there are many persons who have no right to the title who yet claim to belong to the Israel of God. If we are with confidence declaring, “So am I also an Israelite,” let us only say it after having searched our heart as in the presence of God.

But if we can give proof that we are following Jesus, if we can from the heart say, “I trust him wholly, trust him only, trust him simply, trust him now, and trust him ever,” then the position which the saints of God hold belongs to us—all their enjoyments are our possessions; we may be the very least in Israel, “less than the least of all saints,” yet since the mercies of God belong to the saints as saints , and not as advanced saints, or well-taught saints, we may put in our plea, and say, “Are they Israelites? so am I; therefore the promises are mine, grace is mine, glory will be mine.” The claim, rightfully made, is one which will yield untold comfort.

When God's people are rejoicing that they are his, what a happiness if they can say, “So am I !” When they speak of being pardoned, and justified, and accepted in the Beloved, how joyful to respond, “Through the grace of God, so am I .” But this claim not only has its enjoyments and privileges, but also its conditions and duties. We must share with God's people in cloud as well as in sunshine. When we hear them spoken of with contempt and ridicule for being Christians, we must come boldly forward and say, “So am I.” When we see them working for Christ, giving their time, their talent, their whole heart to Jesus, we must be able to say, “So do I.” O let us prove our gratitude by our devotion, and live as those who, having claimed a privilege, are willing to take the responsibility connected with it.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Five Powerful Names Of God

God has many names, and they are descriptive of His attributes, so here are five of the most powerful names of God.

JEHOVAH-JIREH or Yahweh Yireh
Genesis 22:14 “So Abraham called the name of that place, “The Lord will provide”; as it is said to this day, “On the mount of the Lord it shall be provided.”
Abraham and Isaac were going to make a sacrifice unto the Lord, only Isaac didn’t know he was the intended sacrifice, so when the wood and fire were gather, Isaac asked, “Behold, the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering,” (Gen 22:7), and Abraham told Isaac, “God will provide for himself the lamb for a burnt offering, my son” (Gen 22:8), and God did provide for a sacrifice when the ram caught in the thickets was provided by God.

When God was about to sacrifice his son of promise, the angel of the Lord stayed his hand (Gen 22:11) and saw that Abraham’s believed God and it was accounted to him as righteousness, knowing that He could raise Isaac up from the dead if it came to that (Heb 11:19), so that’s why “Abraham called the name of that place, “The Lord will provide”; as it is said to this day, “On the mount of the Lord it shall be provided” (Gen 22:14). And near that same spot several thousands of years later, God would provide for a sacrifice for all who would believe in Him (John 3:16-17), because in the last part of Genesis 22:14, where it says, “On the mount of the Lord it shall be provided,” in the Hebrew is, “he will be seen,” and seen He was on Calvary’s hill. And yes, on that mount, a supreme sacrifice was provided.

YAHWEH-ROHI – The Lord Our Shepherd
Psalm 23:1 “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.”
The Lord Jesus Christ is called the Good Shepherd, so compared to Christ, I am simply an under-shepherd of the Good Shepherd. The Hebrew word used here for shepherd is “ra`ah” which means to pasture (from which we get the word “pastor”), but it means to “tend, graze, feed,” or be “ruler,” or “teacher” of. That is exactly what God does in Jesus Christ, Who is the Head of the Church. If not led to green pastures, sheep will eat until they destroy the roots, so the Good Shepherd ensures that His flock is regularly fed, and that diet consists of the Word of God, the Bible, then the sheep of the Good Shepherd “shall not want.”

El SHADDIA – The Mighty God
Genesis 17:1 “When Abram was ninety-nine years old the Lord appeared to Abram and said to him, “I am God Almighty; walk before me, and be blameless.”
The name God uses for Himself in this passage is the name EL Shaddia, which is Hebrew for “almighty, most powerful,” and of course that fits God perfectly because God is omnipotent. When you pray, think about one of His names, like El Shaddia. That should give you confidence because you pray to a God Who can move heaven and earth to make sure one sinner is saved. When God used this name for Himself, Abraham “fell on his face” (Gen 17:3), knowing He is all-powerful. To Abraham, this is the most reverential, respectful, and humble position for him to be in when praying to God. We pray to a God that is Almighty and All-Powerful, so why not fall before Him, in physically possible?

YHWH / YAHWEH or HAYAH – I AM THAT I AM
Exodus 3:14 “God said to Moses, “I am who I am.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel, ‘I am has sent me to you.”
When God spoke to Moses out of the burning bush, he told him He was about to bring Israel out of Egypt and deliver them from their bondage in slavery, but Moses asked God, what “if they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what shall I say to them” (Ex 3:13)? God answered, “Say this to the people of Israel, ‘I am has sent me to you” (Ex 3:14b). In other words, God told Moses to say that “I AM THAT I AM” sent me, or in the Hebrew “Yahweh” which means “to be, to exist” or the “Self-Existent One.” “I am, and there is none beside me” (Isaiah 45:6). This means that God has no cause and has always been. The verb “to be” means that He has no need of anything outside of Himself to keep existing; an existence different from all other existence. He has always been, is now, and will always be. It means that God is uncaused and there is nothing else that has always existed without a cause except for Yahweh or the Great I AM.

ELOHIM – The Creator, Mighty, Strong God

Genesis 17:7 “And I will establish my covenant between me and you and your offspring after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your offspring after you.”

It is very interesting that God revealed to Abraham two of His attributes in one conversation. First God says that He is “God Almighty” (Gen 17:1), and later He says that He “will establish [His] covenant” with Abraham, but what does God mean by saying, I will “be God to you?” It means, He will literally be the “Creator, Mighty, Strong God” that spoke the universe and the worlds into existence to Abraham. This name for God is plural and reflects the Trinity and the Plurality of God but also the different workings of each Person of the Trinity. The God Who created all things, how will He not give us all things (Rom 8:32)? Is anything too hard or impossible for the One Who created everything?

Conclusion
If you don’t know all these names of God, it doesn’t matter, but it does matter if you know the One Name that is above all other names, and that is Jesus Christ. He said “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day” (John 6:44), but “there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved” (Acts 4:12). Jesus as the Good Shepherd is the way, the truth and the life (John 14:6), and not “a way” or one of many ways. He is the One and Only Way into the Kingdom and the only name by which you can be saved. If you reject Him as Savior, then He will be your Judge (Rev 20:11-15; John 3:18).

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Priorities
"Seeing a fig tree by the road, he [Jesus] went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, 'May you never bear fruit again!' Immediately the tree withered.'"1

Today in the Word reported how "Andrew Carnegie, a poor Scottish immigrant turned powerful industrialist, became one of the richest men of the nineteenth century—and one of the most generous. It's estimated he gave nine out of every ten dollars he earned in oil, railroads, and steel to charity, an astounding total of $350 million over his lifetime. A strong supporter of free libraries and education, he believed that the rich had a moral responsibility to use their wealth to benefit others. Carnegie spread his wealth around, making philanthropy his life's priority."2

Obviously, very few people ever have this kind of wealth, but we all have something that we can give—be it large or small—to help in some way to make our world a better place in which to live.

The Apostle Paul said, "It has always been my ambition to preach the gospel where Christ was not known."3 His priority was to spread the good news of the riches of the gospel message of Jesus Christ. To this he dedicated and gave his life.

I think just about all of us want to feel that our life has not been lived in vain—that we have made a difference in the world in which we live. When we come to the end of life's journey and meet Jesus face to face, how terribly sad it would be if we have nothing to offer him but "leaves" as it was with the tree Jesus referred to in today's scripture verse.

Fortunately, it doesn't have to be that way. We start by setting priorities. Whatever comes first in our lives are our priorities. Let's make sure that God and living for him is at the very top of our list of priorities, remembering that we serve God by serving people.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to set priorities that are in harmony with your will so that, when I meet you face to face, I will hear your welcome words, 'Well done, good and faithful servant. Enter into the joy of your Lord.' Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Simply Content (4 October 2019)
Morning Encounter:
Read:
I am not complaining about having too little. I have learned to be satisfied with whatever I have. I know what it is to be poor or to have plenty, and I have lived under all kinds of conditions. I know what it means to be full or to be hungry, to have too much or too little. Christ gives me the strength to face anything.
(Philippians 4.11-13)

Reflect:
Paul is grateful to the church at Philippi for some recent gifts brought to him whilst in prison. He has known wealth and poverty, what it is like to be full and to be hungry, and it has been a hungry time. But for Paul it is not the external realities, but the inner knowledge of Christ, that brings him ultimate contentment. Simplicity is so counter-cultural. In our consumerist society we are conditioned by thoughts of acquiring more stuff to keep us happy. In Christ, we find joy whatever our circumstances.

Respond:
Reflect on what it might mean to be ‘satisfied with whatever I have’. When you consider your next purchase, think about the difference between ‘want’ and ‘need.’

Midday Meditation:
“You must arrange to live with deep contentment, joy, and confidence in your everyday experience of life with God.”
(Dallas Willard)

Evening Reflection:
When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

It is well with my soul,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

(Horatio G. Spafford It Is Well With My Soul)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can You Handle the Truth?
. . . woe to him who is alone when he falls
and has not another to lift him up—Ecclesiastes 4:10
Support and encouragement are crucial for friendship, of course. But by themselves, they aren’t enough—not even close. True friendship requires more. The kind of friendship God intends requires that we look deeper, that we try to see things only friends can see. And it requires that we tell the truth (Ephesians 4:15). So, when friends are stuck or struggling with denial or passivity or sin, true friendship requires that we face awkwardness or embarrassment or fear of rejection head-on, and that we name problems honestly (though gently, too) and make every attempt to challenge and push, rescue and restore (Galatians 6:1-2; 1 Thessalonians 5:14). True friendship requires that we go “all in.” It requires that we be willing to initiate tough conversations, when tough conversations are needed.

The inverse, of course, is that we need friendship like that too. To lead robust, upright lives, we too need friends who are willing to be honest. To lead robust, upright lives, we too need friends who, like God, love us too much to let us to get stuck or struggle on our own. To lead robust, upright lives, we too need friends who are “all in” and willing to initiate tough conversations. We must be intentional about surrounding ourselves with such men . . . and, as hard as it might be, we must be willing to learn how to hear honest feedback without indignation, defensiveness, or counterattack.

Have you explicitly empowered any man, or group of men, to search you and know you? Have you let any man, or group of men, know your entire story and explicitly empowered him, or them, to speak honestly into your life? If you haven’t, steel your courage and take that step. It’s one most men will never take.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Being Unimpressive
Morning Encounter:
Read:
When Daniel was brought in, the king said: So you are Daniel, one of the captives my father brought back from Judah! I was told that the gods have given you special powers and that you are intelligent and very wise. Neither my advisors nor the men who talk with the spirits of the dead could read this writing or tell me what it means. But I have been told that you understand everything and that you can solve difficult problems. Now then, if you can read this writing and tell me what it means, you will become the third most powerful man in my kingdom. You will wear royal purple robes and have a gold chain around your neck. Daniel answered: Your Majesty, I will read the writing and tell you what it means. But you may keep your gifts or give them to someone else.
(Daniel 5.13-17a)

Reflect:
Daniel rejects the king’s offer of costly clothing, jewellery and status. He may have been tempted but he remembers that God is his source of provision, protection and identity. Daniel does not want to be swayed away from his relationship with God.

Respond:
Refrain from the need to show-off, image-manage or impress others. Let your words (especially about yourself) be few. Resist the temptation to manipulate, to gossip or speak negatively about other people.

Midday Meditation:
‘Experiencing the inward reality (of simplicity) liberates us outwardly. Speech becomes truthful and honest. The lust for status and position is gone because we no longer need status or position. We cease from showy extravagance, not on the grounds of being unable to afford it, but on the grounds of principle. Our goods become available to others.’
(Richard Foster Celebration of Discipline)

Evening Reflection:
Dear God,
I am so afraid to open my clenched fists!
Who will I be when I have nothing left to hold on to?
Who will I be when I stand before you with empty hands?
Please help me to gradually open my hands
and to discover that I am not what I own,
but what you want to give me.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looking Back to Go Forward
"But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."1

You've no doubt read that if flies are placed in a jar with air holes in the lid, they will fly around frantically, banging into the lid, desperately trying to escape from their prison. However, if left there long enough, eventually they will stop banging into the lid. Later, if the lid is removed, they won't even try to escape. Somehow they have been conditioned "to believe" that there is no escape. They just keep circling in the cramped jar.

Some of us are like that. Somewhere in our past, through a bad experience, perhaps in a bad marriage, or as a teenager or child we were hurt and have been "conditioned" to believe that there is no escape, so we are afraid to try again for fear of failure or of getting hurt again.

To overcome, one needs to acknowledge where and how in the past he or she had been hurt, express the hurt, anger and/or grief creatively if these feelings exist, and then let go of them so he/she can go forward into the future unencumbered by his or her past.

As Peter said, "So get rid of your feelings of hatred."2 Repressing or denying feelings doesn't get rid of them. It only adds interest to them and makes things worse in the long run. Negative emotions need to be expressed verbally (or written out) in a creative manner. With grief we need to sob it out until it is all gone. That's what tears are for. For some of us skilled counseling may be needed to help us re-connect to our super-charged repressed negative and damaged emotions, and to express them creatively.

Once this is done, forgiveness becomes possible, which we need to grant to anyone who ever hurt us. Only then can we be freed from the past and put it behind us. And then, if there is still fear of being hurt again, acknowledge the fear but choose not to allow it to control you. With God's help step out and try, try, try again until you succeed in what it is you want to do, or better still, to do what you believe God wants you to do.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to resolve any hurts from the past that are affecting my life in any negative way, and help me to forgive any and all who have ever hurt me. And help me to seek forgiveness where I have hurt others, so I can put all these things behind me, forget them, and be free to fully live and fully love. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

1. Philippians 3:13-14 (NIV).
2. 1 Peter 2:1 (TLB)(NLT).

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Simplicity Sunday
Morning Encounter:
Read:
You will rebuild those houses left in ruins for years; you will be known as a builder and repairer of city walls and streets. But first, you must start respecting the Sabbath as a joyful day of worship. You must stop doing and saying whatever you please on this special day. Then you will truly enjoy knowing the Lord. He will let you rule from the highest mountains and bless you with the land of your ancestor Jacob. The Lord has spoken!
(Isaiah 58.12-14)
Reflect:
There is always much work to be done. But still God asks for the sabbath (a twenty four hour period of rest) to be honoured. God is concerned that we don’t become overwhelmed and burnt out by life – this is God’s pattern for a work / life balance. This is the day to put down our work, turn off the mobile phone, and refuse to answer emails. We are allowed to be unproductive. The Sabbath is a day to rest, worship and delight in God.

Respond:
Sabbath gives us an opportunity to reflect on our lives before God. As we have started to explore simplicity this week, you might want to reflect on these three questions:
  1. What should I do less of? Consider the way you spend time and your on-going commitments
  2. What should I have less of? Consider your possessions and resources
  3. What should I do more of? What feeds your soul and connects you to God?
Midday Meditation:
‘I know what it is like to have rest turn into delight, and delight turn into gratitude, and gratitude into worship. I know what it is like to recover myself so completely that I am able, by God’s grace, to enter work on Monday with a renewed sense of God’s calling and God’s presence.’
(Ruth Haley Barton Sacred Rhythms)

Evening Reflection:
May the God of peace
bring peace to this house
May the Son of peace
May the Spirit of peace
this night and all nights