• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I'm shopping on the stock market tomorrow.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
your stock investment calling... that analysis was pretty good. :thumbsup:
Thanks.

During 2007 I tried doing some trading. Studied both technical and fundamental analysis.

In the end I realized trading is gambling lah. Short term no point unless you want to be watching all the data daily and fret over it.

I bought UOB at the high of $23 back in 2008 in the end I held it. Kept all the dividend. And finally sold it at $24 sometime last year. Other stocks that I lost money on in sinkieland Ferrochina, FJ Benjamin, Wing Tai.

I still have Wing Tai. Bough at around $3 back in 2007. Now is $2+? But still collecting dividend.

Life experiences lah.

I made good money selling my Singapore condo and flat back in 2015.

I only buy stocks now using my RRSP account.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Yesterday, except 3M, all died in a sea of red in DJ.
Haha

This is a good buying opportunity.

It is totally possible that this might spark a global recession. But remember it is US election year. So it should be ok till after the US elections.

The big banks control the stock market. The shorting and selling is all by institutions.

Which is why I will always choose the banks as stocks to buy. Canadian banks are very conservative. So very good buy and hold options.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
This whole covid19 scare economically will impact tourism and conventions. Concerts. Events that involve large numbers of people gathering.

I expect online retailers to be unaffected. Amazon will gain.

Covid19 is not that deadly anyway. Most get mild symptoms. How is this any different from having a bad influenza season? Life goes on.

By May the markets should have recovered. Sell in may and go away.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Everyone seems to be an expert here so I guess the members of this forum must all be very wealthy.
Easy to talk.

It is taking action that matters. Lol!

I am looking at queuing to buy BMO at CAD$90 next week. See if I can get it.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
your stock investment calling... that analysis was pretty good. :thumbsup:

There are many investment analysts in this world. They work for financial institutions or media companies and earn a salary every month.

If they really knew what they were talking about and had confidence in their own analytical abilities why would they be working for a pittance?

I'm not an investment analyst. My only skill is understanding human nature. The Corona virus is blown way out of proportion. The reactions are totally disproportionate relative to the risk and as a result share prices have plunged way below their logical valuations.

Since shares are being offered as a discount at the moment I'm buying. When they recover I'll sell. I did the same thing in 1998, 2003 and 2009 and made a lot of money every single time.

I therefore started this thread because by nature I am not a selfish person. There is money to be made so grab the opportunity. Of course it is not risk free but the risk is manageable. I am using money which would otherwise be sitting in the bank earning 2.5% interest.

If you have to mortgage your house to buy shares then I say don't do it. If you have spare cash then I think it is a good idea.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Bottom fishing and trying to catch a quick recovery is silly.

There is always plenty of time to buy the dip and upturn the downturn.

"Bottom fishing" is not a one off purchase. You buy on the way down and sell on the way up. When and how much you want to buy is an individual choice. As long as the return is better than what you'd get from leaving the money sitting around it is worth the effort.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Since shares are being offered as a discount at the moment I'm buying. When they recover I'll sell. I did the same thing in 1998, 2003 and 2009 and made a lot of money every single time.

If u have extra cash, holding power, why not? Teres so much liquidity around and interest rate sucks, market will certainly bounce back once this virus episode is over.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Air New Zealand Offers Flights For As Low As $9NZD Amid Softening Demand

Air New Zealand is offering some rock bottom fares in an effort to stimulate demand. This morning they’ve released a swag of NZD$9 (USD$5.50) domestic airfares, hoping to lure wary passengers back into the skies.
Air-New-Zealand-$9-Flights
Air New Zealand is offering a swag of cheap domestic airfares this morning. Photo: Cammynz via Wikimedia Commons.
But numbers are limited. Air New Zealand is only releasing 1,000 of these fares. They will be on sale from 20:00 UTC this evening.
Promotion the result of softening demand
The New Zealand Herald is reporting the airline’s Chief revenue officer Cam Wallace saying the cut-price airfares are a result of softening demand.
Advertisement

Like airlines everywhere, Air New Zealand has been impacted by the coronavirus outbreak. They’ve suspended services to Shanghai and Seoul and reduced capacity elsewhere.
Advertisement
Featured Video:

Why US Airlines Will HAVE To Offer Free Wifi

Late last week, Air New Zealand halved its flights to Samoa. The small Pacific nation is not admitting incoming passengers unless they possess a fit to travel medical certificate.
China is New Zealand’s second-largest inbound tourist market. It isn’t only the passenger numbers that are important, it is their spending.
Advertisement

Last week, Air New Zealand Chairman Dame Therese Walsh said;
“While the Covid-19 situation is dynamic, we have taken immediate steps to mitigate the impact of softer demand and I am confident that we have the ability to manage the expected short-term impacts effectively.”
There are also discounted fares across to Australia
Prospective passengers may also be interested in some bargain fares from New Zealand to Australia. Air New Zealand is selling one-way fares across to Sydney, Brisbane, or Melbourne for about USD$50. That’s insanely cheap and about a quarter the cost of one night’s accommodation in a decent hotel in either Sydney or Melbourne.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Apple And Tesla Soar As Stock Markets Bounce Back From Last Week’s Crash

Sarah Hansen
Sarah Hansen
Forbes Staff
Markets

uncaptioned

The Dow saw its biggest point gain ever during Monday’s rally.
AFP VIA GETTY IMAGES
Topline: Markets regained a large portion of their losses on Monday after suffering their worst week since the 2008 financial crisis, signaling investor confidence that central banks will step in to ease the economic pressure created by the global coronavirus outbreak.

• The Dow Jones Industrial Average added nearly 1,300 points—its biggest point gain ever—on Monday, a bump of 5.1%, while the S&P 500 rose 4.6% and the Nasdaq Composite rose 4.5%.
  • Shares of tech stocks like Apple and Microsoft were also along for the ride: Apple rose 8.8% to $297 and Microsoft, fresh off major losses last week after announcing it would miss its first-quarter guidance as a result of the virus, saw a 6.35% boost to $172.29.
  • Tesla was up a staggering 11.32%, bringing the cost of one share to $743.62.
  • Bond traders are predicting that it’s 100% likely that the Federal Reserve will cut interest rates by 50 basis points later this month.
  • The yield on a 10-Year U.S. Treasury bond fell to 1.07%, a new record low, indicating that in some part, investors are still seeking safety in government bonds rather than equities.
  • The VIX index, a measure of market volatility often used as a gauge of investor fear, was still hovering at about 31.84 when markets closed on Monday; though a significant drop from last week when levels reached more than 40, it’s still more than double the pre-selloff levels.

Big number: If the coronavirus outbreak continues to worsen, it has the potential to cut global economic growth in half, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation. A more serious outbreak could also push Japan, the eurozone and other major economies into recession. The OECD said that while changes to monetary policy (like cutting interest rates) could help restore confidence in the economy, governments still need to act ‘swiftly and forcefully’ to contain the virus.

Key background: Global markets faced their worst week since the financial crisis last week as fear over the potential impact of the coronavirus outbreak rattled investors. The Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 14%, the S&P lost 13% and U.S. Treasury bond yields plummeted to new record lows as traders abandoned risky assets for safer ones. 96 cases of the virus have now been confirmed in the United States, and there have now been six confirmed coronavirus deaths in the U.S. Across the globe, 90,000 people have been infected and over 3,000 people have died from the disease.

Follow me on Twitter. Send me a secure tip.
Sarah Hansen
Sarah Hansen