• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

***if you were born in the 70s/80s in Singapore….***

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you were born in the 70s/80s in*singapore….
Original by midnightsunshine, edited by me with pictures

he-man-wb.jpg

• You grew up watching He-man, MASK, Transformers, Silver Hawk and Mickey Mouse, Ninja turtles, Carebears, Robocop, My Little Pony and Smurfs.

• You grew up brushing your teeth with a mug in Primary school during recess time. You would squat by a drain with all your classmates beside you, and brush your teeth with a coloured mug

sbc-logo.jpg

• You know what SBC stands for.

1255698657_12735265f4.jpg

• You paid 40 cents for a pyramid-shaped pack of Chocolate or Strawberry milk every monday in class.

• Everyone’s wallet used to be the velcro type

• It was cool to have pagers in secondary/pri school though they were banned.

• SBS buses used to be non-airconditioned. The bus seats are made of wood and the cushionwere red. The big red bell gave a loud BEEP! when pressed.

3779567987_744a428ff5.jpg

• There were still bus tickets and bus conductors would come up to check them.

• Envelopes were given to us to donate to Sharity Elephant every Children’s Day.

• You were there when they first introduced the MRT here. You went for the first ride with your parents and you would kneel on the seat to see the scenery.

• Movie tickets used to cost only $3.50.

• Gals were fascinated by Strawberry Short Cake, CareBears and Barbie Dolls.

• You learn to laugh and count numbers like The Count in Sesame Street.

dingdang-tora.jpg

• You bought tidbits called ka ka or toro and there was also Hiro Cream Cake (for 30 cents)

• You could buy the ice cream that was put in plastic cups or bread from the street for 40cents and 50 cents would be a huge portion. $1 worth of ice cream was a rare buy

• Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Famous Five and Secret Seven were the most popular books in school.

• You came to school 15 mins before the bell every morning just so you could copy someone’s homework.

• Waterbottles were slung around your neck and a must everywhere you went.

5447790215_87e074cdb0.jpg

• Boys loved to play 1 leg, chatek, hantam bola, marble balls and plastic ball soccer in the basketball court.

• Girls played five stones or paper dolls with various dresses to hook on.

• Science was fun with the Balsam, the Angsana and Pong Pong fruit being the most important plants of our lives, guppies and swordtail being the most important fishes.

bata+putih.jpg

• You wore BM2000, or BATA shoes.

• Your form teacher taught you Maths, Science and English..

• There would be spelling tests and mental sums to do almost everyday (you hated them).

• You would normally spend 40cents – 50 cents for a bowl of noodles in school. buying an item for $1 at the bookstore was really really expensive.

• Going to McDonald’s was a treat during primary school days.

3525530340_124129b3e9.jpg

• The most popular pencil cases were those with buttons and would “shoot out” the different compartments.

• Boys liked catching fighting spiders, earthworms or tadpoles.

flageraser.jpg

• Collecting and battling erasers was a pastime for boys.

• Class monitors and prefects loved to say, “You talk somemore, I write your name ah!”

• You got booked for muddy shoes in class. You would also use chalk from the black board to
“color” your white shoes that were dirty.

• There were at least 40 people in one class.

• You brought every single book to school, even though there was a timetable.

• Umbro school bags were extremely popular

• KFC used to be a high class place that let you use metal forks and knives.

_Game_%26_Watch_Octopus.jpg

_Game-and-Watch-Parachute.jpg

_donkeykong.png

Handheld games is a must have for the boys :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Miss those days. The empty streets. Catching longkang fish. The ones that was born in the 90s or later will never experience having real special memories of sg.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hahahaha, these ones came a little too late. I grew up with Xiao Liu Mang later Long Hu Men comics. How come no "Kitechen" in the Nitendo series?? :smile: Umbro school backs will the favorites of the m&ds. That was after I completed Sec. 4. The pyramid milk was there together with the PVC bag version. Those who sign for the extra milk can use the extra 10 minutes to get out of classroom to drink milk, TCSS. I also cannot afford to buy the 'panther' brand sports shoes. There is also a favorite china made school bag, either in green or white. Ah Beng wannabes will draw their favorite poems or dragons/animals on their bags

Last edited:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
so true, reading those sentences even bring back some memories.

遺憾人生不能从头再来.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there was also a calculator came. For every sum of 10, you will get a N and shoot the N and get extra point. Every level, will become faster until almost impossible. I remember some entrepreneurs who charge 20cents per game.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Movies used to cost $1.5 (normal seat) and $2.5 (circle seats). students got 'half price' concession meaning only 80 cents. Watch Jacky Chan's Snake Fist Cat Claws in circle seat. hehehe. First English song learnt was 'Rythem of falling rain' and 'Sailing'. After go Sec. 1, became evil. Duran Duran and Depeche Mode.

Borned in 1970.

Last edited:

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Outside my primary school, there was this old man selling satay for 15 cents, while my mum will buy me a prata kosong for me to the school once a week, hehehehe

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
You grew up watching He-man, MASK, Transformers, Silver Hawk and Mickey Mouse, Ninja turtles, Carebears, Robocop, My Little Pony and Smurfs.

You grew up brushing your teeth with a mug in Primary school during recess time. You would squat by a drain with all your classmates beside you, and brush your teeth with a coloured mug and you were given PINK tablets to see if you had plague.

You know what SBC stands for.

You paid 40 cents for cartons of Chocolate or Strawberry milk every week in class.

Everyone’s wallet used to be the velcro type

It was cool to have pagers in secondary/pri school though they were banned.

SBS buses used to be non-airconditioned. The bus seats are made of wood and the cushionwere red. The big red bell gave a loud BEEP! when pressed.

There were still bus tickets and bus conductors would come up to check them.

Envelopes were given to us to donate to Sharity Elephant every Children’s Day.

You were there when they first introduced the MRT here. You went for the first ride with your parents and you would kneel on the seat to see the scenery.

Movie tickets used to cost only $3.50.

Gals were fascinated by Strawberry Short Cake and Barbie Dolls.

You learn to laugh like The Count in Sesame Street.

You bought tidbits called ka ka or toro and there was also Hiro Cream Cake (for 30 cents)

You could buy the ice cream that was put in plastic cups or bread from the street for 40cents and 50 cents would be a huge portion. $1 worth of ice cream was a rare buy

You watched TV2 (also known as Channel 10) cartoons because Channel 5 never had enough cartoons for you.

Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Famous Five and Secret Seven were the most popular books in school.

Catching and “pepsi-cola” was the IN thing, and “twist” was the magic word.

Your English workbooks were made of some poor quality paper that was smooth and yellow.

You came to school 15 mins before the bell every morning just so you could copy someone’s homework.

CDIS was your best friend.

The most well known computer program you knew was “Print Shop” and you made greeting cards, printed in black and white that you had to fold to form 4 sections.

Waterbottles were slung around your neck and a must everywhere you went.

Boys loved to play soccer with small stones or tennis balls in the basketball court.

Girls played five stones and boys played with marbles.

Science was fun with the Balsam and the Angsana being the most important plants of our lives, guppies and swordtail being the most important fishes.

Who can forget Ahmad, Bala, Sumei and John, immortalized in our minds from school textbooks. Also, Ms Lala and her “catty” glasses!

Every Children’s day and National day you either got pins or pens with ‘Happy Children’s Day 1993′ or useless plastic files with ‘Happy National Day 1994′.

You wore BM2000, or BATA shoes.

Your form teacher taught you Maths, Science and English..

There would be spelling tests and mental sums to do almost everyday (you hated them).

You would normally spend 40cents – 50 cents for a bowl of noodles in school. buying an item for $1 at the bookstore was really really expensive.

Going to McDonald’s was a treat during primary school days.

You saw Wee Kim Wee’s face in the school hall.

The most popular pencil cases were those with buttons and would “shoot out” the different compartments.

Boys liked catching fighting spiders, earthworms or tadpoles.

Collecting and battling erasers was a pastime for boys.

Class monitors and prefects loved to say, “You talk somemore, I write your name ah!”

You got booked for muddy shoes in class. You would also use chalk from the black board to
“color” your white shoes that were dirty.

There were at least 40 people in one class.

You brought every single book to school, even though there was a timetable.

Umbro school bags were extremely popular

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You chat almost every night on IRC

You got drunk at Boat Quay on cheap beer

You would be familiar with the following brands - Trussadi, Hunting world, Daniel Hector, Versace, Armani, Polo Ralph Lauren

You would also be walking around town with a paper bag from one of the above brands

You witnessed the transition of SBC to TCS and Mediacorp

Center parting was all the rage

Your first experience with a PC in secondary school might be the x86 series and windows 3.1 and later 3.11 and so on

Far East, Centrepoint, Marina Square - which kid were you?

Afghanistan was still in the midst of civil war, nothing has changed since you remembered watching the news

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sometime never even finish class, "Bon Tank", char bor liow.

still got mama shops selling NEWPORT spare cigarettes. KNN. cost 20 cents a stick! Last time, newport only cost 1 dollar. Salem and Malboro (10 sticks) cost $1.30. Those who smoke Salem/Marlboro are 'Big Brothers'. The rest are Newport, Lucky Strike and Gold leaf.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Outside my primary school, there was this old man selling satay for 15 cents, while my mum will buy me a prata kosong for me to the school once a week, hehehehe

You stupid orange peasant. In school I ate and drank chicken rice, fishball mee, mee rebus, mee siam, soya bean, pineapple drinks, soft drinks etc. I no need to pay. Not say I unfair rob or bully them. My uncles later in the week would settle. More profitable for them somemore. My uncles usually overpaid and told them keep the change.