• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I bet this fucker must feel real proud about shooting a man dead leegally!

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
In a crowded and enclosed place the danger is even much more imminent. If they don't confine and corner him, he will turn and stab another member of the public. He has already stabbed one. Its unfortunate and I don't think people take pleasure in taking a life.

What would suggest the Police do in crowded and enclosed place in a similar situation knowing that people are at risk?

I dont think the SPF have people that are well trained in handling crisis and negotiating. Especially those doing Full-time NS, most of them are just passing time just to fulfill their obligation.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with that sentiment. The standard is dropping by the day and its right across a the government sector. Poor service, poor attitude and quite directionless.

I dont think the SPF have people that are well trained in handling crisis and negotiating. Especially those doing Full-time NS, most of them are just passing time just to fulfill their obligation.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
As you can see by the many replies that its a decent world after all. There is still hope for the human race. Enforcement chaps like soldiers may take pride in killing a criminal or the enemy force but when it comes to a mentally disturbed person, its never a win win situation. Both sides lose a bit of themselves. Its a dirty job but he did it and removed the danger.

I guess it is very easy for us to question "ifs" and "buts" as we are bothe by-standers as well as sitting comfortablity to debate what action could be better after the incident had took place.

But given the situation, I do not think any of this dabate would appear in anyone's mind and action of the moment would be taken in consideration of what activity that could present itself.

Do not judge the police officer by his color or looks and who he is. when such a situation do occur, its either he got stuck on the spot or he reacted. Comprehension and considertion of any kind of his action would be non-existance.

Someone suggested why not plain clothes policeman were not send and insitead have someone in uniform there, then i would question, if the "victim" is subdued by plain clothes, then wont that give another theory that we have many polices and spies watching what common citizens are doing?

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I feel compelled to clear the air about something. Whether the officer is of a certain colour or the dead perp is of whatever another, I stand by my thread header and the opinions I had expressed.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Every policeman have baton why he didn't use it?
I not pity with the dead guy. Better die than spending tax payer money.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My main point is that he should had been taken down by plainclothes officers. My contention is that there was a breakdown of command leadership.
My bet is that many of us had never seen how efficient our police are in this respect. And I am not talking about marxists or "Operation Coldstore".

Is that your main point? This is not what the title says.. "I bet this fucker must feel real proud about shooting a man dead leegally!"

:mad:

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://video2.channelnewsasia.com/c...r=chineseplayer.swf&filename=xin_ch_fri07.flv

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m8mPwjqiM_Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m8mPwjqiM_Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

At yesterday’s joint inquest into the deaths of Lim and Mr Tan, Staff Sgt Azli said he was issued with a revolver, bullets, a T-baton, a taser or stun gun and a pair of handcuffs that day.
He and Cpl Tan were initially despatched to Jalan Kukoh but were then told to go to the Chinatown MRT station to search for the suspect, a 1.7m-tall man in white T-shirt and black trousers.
Acting on instructions, they went on to Outram Park station, where they saw a man on a train platform who fit the description.
Mr Lee, who was in the area, confirmed it was Lim.
After that, everything happened quickly.
When Lim began to talk to a passer- by, Staff Sgt Azli called out to the man and gestured to him to move aside.
Lim quickly slipped his hand into his sling bag, and as he did so, Staff Sgt Azli placed his right hand on his service revolver.
Seeing Lim whip out a knife from the bag, Staff Sgt Azli drew out his revolver and pointed it at him. The policeman warned him to “stop it” but Lim continued to dash towards him as he retreated.
I fired one shot at the culprit because he did not stop charging at me with the knife,” he said in his statement.
Staff Sgt Azli said the two of them were about 2m apart.
He felt the firearm was an “effective way to stop him from attacking me”.
He said: “I assessed that he was going to attack me with the knife and if he was not stopped in time, I would be fatally, if not seriously injured by him.”
Under questioning by State Coroner Victor Yeo, the officer said that he drew his revolver only when he saw the culprit take out a knife. He said he had been trained to aim at the central mass of the body, and did not have time to target at a more specific part.
Asked why the stun gun was not used instead, he said that in his defence tactics and firearms training, the taser gun was never used for such situations. These were introduced in 2005 to provide police officers with another option in hostile situations.
“If a knife is used, the X26 taser gun is not appropriate. It is only used to contain and during stand-off situations, for example, if the subject is holding onto a wooden pole and swinging it widely and may cause harm to officers,” he said.
Using a T-baton might not be effective either as one had to be close to the subject. In such situations, taser is deployed to incapacitate the subject and effect arrest without harm to anybody, he added.
The inquiry continue

Last edited:

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
As you can see by the many replies that its a decent world after all. There is still hope for the human race. Enforcement chaps like soldiers may take pride in killing a criminal or the enemy force but when it comes to a mentally disturbed person, its never a win win situation. Both sides lose a bit of themselves. Its a dirty job but he did it and removed the danger.

I agree very much its a dirty job and its a job no one would want to do if presented with a clear situation. But was the situation clear?

No doubt, the use of NSman as police officers had lowered policing standards. But i wont argue about the standard, but more of the situation that present itself.

lets look back at Singapore's police history. How many such case had taken place for the past twenty years where police officers have to draw their weapeansand use them? So far that i know, not more than 10 and it could even be lesser. By that, how many police officers of any rank had the experince to deal with such a situation clearly?

The police can be very very well trained, but looking at reality, training can only prepare you so much. Experience of such matter is limited and with few experiences, many police would never imagine themselves handling such a matter no matter how well trained they could ever be.

perhaps the officer could have disarmed the man with batons or other means, but the situation had reacted for itself. The police officer it seems does not really know how to react to a situation he is unfamiliar with and he react just by his instincts.

i m sure the police officer could be having nightmares on what he did. He is in a position which i will never be envy of.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your messy typo aside, I always have the impresion that you live in a cocoon. Let's just say I would not punch you if I were in a crowd because the odds of someone with a warrant card within the vicinity is just too high for me to gamble on.

what the hell are you talking about?

if you are saying this of a man with sane mind, that I would agree.

the man who was gunned down, was he of sane mind when he stab another earlier? woudl he think as you have claim so?

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is that your main point? This is not what the title says.. "I bet this fucker must feel real proud about shooting a man dead leegally!"

:mad:

The thread header should always be the focus of the main point? You have every right to be unhappy with my views. If you are, why won't you come right out with it? I will still respect your views and opinions. Divided opinions are to be expected.

If you have to know, the thread header is my expression of disgust over the smug look of a man who had taken a life, the point of contention that it looks like a black and white case of good over evil notwithstanding. a life was taken. could things had been done differently? Or should we just accept everything the authorities say without question? A very obvious Singaporean trait! Suckers for spin.

Bet you will just love it if a photo is published of a hangman whom after his Friday dawn labours are over and he had a beer while laughing boisterously with his mates as in good taste!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The man who's armed and sane enough to kill another man is no saint. If you meet him when he's still armed, you sane enough to be armed and ready to use it unless you're insane.

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
what the hell are you talking about?

if you are saying this of a man with sane mind, that I would agree.

the man who was gunned down, was he of sane mind when he stab another earlier? woudl he think as you have claim so?

Where in my posts had I brought up the question of the dead man's sanity status other than about the police training video? I'm through with you.:mad:

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QPs8jec0zgU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QPs8jec0zgU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CVW2_vLRVx8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CVW2_vLRVx8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hGH-oKt5hlE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hGH-oKt5hlE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apprehend a murderer in force! Not with a 22 year old NS partner!:mad:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SzzZxjd5oUw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SzzZxjd5oUw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>