• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I bet this fucker must feel real proud about shooting a man dead leegally!

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
If there is to be a civil suit and I am the lawyer for the plaintiff, there would be questions asked of the necessity to use deadly force against the deceased notwithstanding the fact that he was witnessed to have murdered someone in cold blood.

Singapore
Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
Jan 7, 2010
Cop shot at armed man
By Elena Chong

othman-wongkwaichow.jpg

Staff Sergeant Azli Othman told a coroner's court on Thursday that he shot a suspect at Outram MRT station as his life was in imminent danger. -- ST PHOTO: WONG KWAI CHOW

A POLICE officer told a coroner's court on Thursday that he shot a suspect at Outram MRT station as his life was in imminent danger.

Staff Sergeant Azli Othman, 30, attached to Bukit Merah East Neighbourhood Police Centre, testified that Lim Bok Song, 43, charged at him with a knife in his right hand and ignored his warnings to stop. He had earlier called out to Lim and signalled to him to move aside at the North-East Line MRT platform on March 6, 2008.

Suddenly, Lim slipped his right hand into his sling bag. Staff Sgt Azli then placed his right hand on his service revolver in case the culprit was taking out a weapon.

When the officer saw Lim whip out a knife, he drew out his service revolver and pointed at him, shouting at him to stop. But Lim ignored him and dashed towards the officer who retreated backwards and fired a shot.

The court heard that Staff Sgt Azli and then Corporal Tan Lye Ann, now 22, had responded to a message to look out for the suspect who had earlier stabbed an odd-job worker at Jalan Kukoh hawker centre off Chin Swee Road.

The inquiry into the deaths of Lim and Mr Tan Ah Chong, 52, continues.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
No need for spending money on civil suit. The family can engage a lawyer and he can ask those questions at the coroner's inquiry. If the coroner decides adversely against the Police Force, can start negotiating with AG on compensation.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
suspect is armed, suspect had used weapon prior, suspect charges at officer with weapon... i think clear cut self defence.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But could the officer shot at the suspect's leg to make him go down and not killing him.

I'm assuming the officer shot the suspect in the chest.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
But could the officer shot at the suspect's leg to make him go down and not killing him.

i'm sure he could have if he had the time to aim, but he kena charged at short distance, no time to react, just pull and squeeze.

i don't think this officer (or any other normal person) enjoys the fact that he killed someone legally.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some years back, a man armed with a knife at Geylang Serai market was cornered by Police and the public. He made repeated attempts to lunge and stab at the Police and the surrounding crowd. They waited for an opportunity to subdue him. Unfortunately he made a dash and plunged the knife into a passerby killing him.

The first rule is to remove the threat. Aiming at limbs is never encouraged because its too small a target. Better to prevent harm to innocent people than work on probabilities when danger is imminent. He had already stabbed someone.

In this case, its obvious.

zuoom

Alfrescian
Loyal
there was the threat. force was used. perhaps too lethal.

maybe if the common police man has a non-lethal option? ie: taser? then that threat can be neturalised without the need for the gun.

hmm, i thought i see the taser issued to some of the guys at the airport?

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Incident was caught on CCTV

Sounded like he was cornered. It would not have been wised to try an disable him coz the guy himself was in serious danger

CCTV caught MRT shooting

THE shooting incident at Outram Park MRT Station captured by closed-circuit television cameras was shown at a joint coroner's inquest into the deaths of two men on Friday.

The CCTV footages showed Lim Bock Song, 43, a suspect who had earlier fatally stabbed an odd-job worker at Jalan Kukoh hawker centre, walking up to a directory board between Platform A and B of the station at about 3.15pm on March 6, 2008.

The unemployed man was then seen talking to a young man in bermudas, asking for help. As Lim and the unknown commuter were looking at the board, Staff Sergeant Azli Othman and Special Constable Corporal Tan Lye Ann, came along.

The duo had been directed to look for Lim, who left Jalan Kukoh after Mr Tan Ah Chang, 52, had been stabbed to death, and made his way to Chinatown MRT station where he took several train rides until he finally alighted at Outram Park MRT Station.

The CCTV showed Staff Sgt Azli beckoning to Lim to come to him. Lim was then seen putting his right hand into his sling bag and suddenly lunging towards Staff Sgt Azli with a sharp object in his hand. On seeing this, the officer retreated backwards towards the glass panel of platform A and shouted to Lim to stop.

Investigation by Senior Station Inspector Ang Ghim Sing from Criminal Investigation Department's Special Investigation Section showed that there was no room for Staff Sgt Azli to retreat further. The officer then drew his revolver and fired a single shot at Lim, who was hit in the lower neck region. He collapsed and was pronounced dead at 3.48pm by a paramedic.

The inquiry continues on Monday.

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_474926.html

boring

Alfrescian
Loyal
clear cut nothing wrong! the old ass deserve to die, doesn't mean a police officer got to give his life for nothing, the revolver is to protect the innocent include himself, wat he do is just basic instint!

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am sure there are many witnesses when it happened to give evidence that the policeman done his duty to protect himself and members of the public.

Slanderous to suggest that he is trigger happy and feels good for shooting someone dead in the line of duty.

Shooting the limbs may not subdue the cornered attacker after all he us suspected to had stabbed a victim earlier and don't mind killing a second time.

If there is to be a civil suit and I am the lawyer for the plaintiff, there would be questions asked of the necessity to use deadly force against the deceased notwithstanding the fact that he was witnessed to have murdered someone in cold blood.

Singapore
Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
Jan 7, 2010
Cop shot at armed man
By Elena Chong

othman-wongkwaichow.jpg

Staff Sergeant Azli Othman told a coroner's court on Thursday that he shot a suspect at Outram MRT station as his life was in imminent danger. -- ST PHOTO: WONG KWAI CHOW

A POLICE officer told a coroner's court on Thursday that he shot a suspect at Outram MRT station as his life was in imminent danger.

Staff Sergeant Azli Othman, 30, attached to Bukit Merah East Neighbourhood Police Centre, testified that Lim Bok Song, 43, charged at him with a knife in his right hand and ignored his warnings to stop. He had earlier called out to Lim and signalled to him to move aside at the North-East Line MRT platform on March 6, 2008.

Suddenly, Lim slipped his right hand into his sling bag. Staff Sgt Azli then placed his right hand on his service revolver in case the culprit was taking out a weapon.

When the officer saw Lim whip out a knife, he drew out his service revolver and pointed at him, shouting at him to stop. But Lim ignored him and dashed towards the officer who retreated backwards and fired a shot.

The court heard that Staff Sgt Azli and then Corporal Tan Lye Ann, now 22, had responded to a message to look out for the suspect who had earlier stabbed an odd-job worker at Jalan Kukoh hawker centre off Chin Swee Road.

The inquiry into the deaths of Lim and Mr Tan Ah Chong, 52, continues.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Some years back, a man armed with a knife at Geylang Serai market was cornered by Police and the public. He made repeated attempts to lunge and stab at the Police and the surrounding crowd. They waited for an opportunity to subdue him. Unfortunately he made a dash and plunged the knife into a passerby killing him.

The first rule is to remove the threat. Aiming at limbs is never encouraged because its too small a target. Better to prevent harm to innocent people than work on probabilities when danger is imminent. He had already stabbed someone.

In this case, its obvious.

hi there

1. bro bingo!
2. in any police works, there is always sop to handle such life-threatening situation.
3. i support the police officer on duty taking down the armed suspect.
4. the police officer in-question is also a human being and has his life to protect too.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i'm sure he could have if he had the time to aim, but he kena charged at short distance, no time to react, just pull and squeeze.

i don't think this officer (or any other normal person) enjoys the fact that he killed someone legally.

Many unborn children had been killed LEEgally during the stop at TWO campaign...what is shooting a charging man with a knife!?, no one enjoy the pleasure of shooting another...but can we ask a very sensitive question?, if this was Abang?...would he had used his Taser gun?:p

jw5

Loyal
Bro Hakka tiow
Are you saying that the policeman cannot shoot someone who is charging at him with a knife?
Do you have a logical explanation why he should not have shot him?

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
even though i do not think much of spore poodles, i rather in this case the mental guy died rather than the fatty police...:cool:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro, what happened to you. You used to be one of the sane few in this forum.

I am sane allright, but this is not something we all need to hide, & wonder, even though it is rather sensitive to bring it up, as I had mentioned. there is nothing being sane or not...!! the "IF" question!:p

I have not gone insane...:biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing to do with sensitivity or anything to hide. More like common sense. Sounds bizarre that he prefers to allow his own countryman to stab him rather than shoot him. The guy already stabbed someone. When you are in danger, you must be mad to look for colour to make a decision.

If it was a Chinese officer, he too would have done the same thing if the chap was black, brown or yellow.

I thought that the Threatstarter was off from his title and I think more or less agreed on that.

I am sane allright, but this is not something we all need to hide, & wonder, even though it is rather sensitive to bring it up, as I had mentioned. there is nothing being sane or not...!! the "IF" question!:p

I have not gone insane...:biggrin: