• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How to shoot in raw?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree on the hard work but you don't have deal with all of them.

After a while you will realise that despite all the effort only about 5 or even less than that will go into your library of great photos. The rest goes to the general collection. For the odd 5, the composition is excellent, its a golden moment except you can't tweak it to the optimum. With RAW you have the universe at your feet.

Just set to raw and shoot like hell on P unless it is inside, sports or night. Watch the immense satisfaction when you cull the lot and begin serious work on the top 5 - magic. The rest can go into your travelogue. Also get the GPS unit so that your presentation to the common man is an eye oepner as the world comes alive.

I suspect you will eventually come to raw when you see that only a handful are worth keeping.

i try to do that use a work flow. but i am very particular about a lot of things, shadow detail, over expose of subject, highlight clipping, color temperature etc.

I end up tweaking every single photo. one setting never make me happy with the result, i have to adjust all parameters including cropping and level the photo.
After each vacation, i need to spend a few weeks to work on the photos. a lot of work.

honestly i feel all DSLR picture without all the tweaking i mention is shit, i will throw it into trash, i must tweak each photo to make it perfect, after spending weeks, when i view it on my 30 inch monitor, shiok.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nelson is well known in this forum for the sexual inneundos and the world of same sex journeys.

Hello forumers here made fun of your thread title because they got the SEX idea. Shoot in raw may mean have sex without condom and shoot sperm in virginal! :wink::biggrin::*:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nelson is well known in this forum for the sexual inneundos and the world of same sex journeys.

he's gonna start a thread soon on "how not to pull out prematurely with protection" and it involves the u.s. military withdrawal from iraq.

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Too Much Data Size

Of course beautiful with no loss = original pic quality compared to JPEG in general. RAW pix means you have to carry an arsenal of support devices to free the memory in your cam. Extra batt power is a must for shooting.

A rare minority of photography gets beyound the boundaries of extremes. So any processing at the camera before storage may compromize their needs, thus called for raw storage. Some photos for extremes (fast / slow) speeds and lightings (strong / weak) or effects desired may require uncompressed data to be processed beyond what the camera can do or can not expect the automation in camera to get things right for the needs.

E.g. you film bullet in motion, stars, Aurora, Meteor, Comet, rotations of star constalations, solar eruptions, volcanos, X-ray, telescopic, microscopic, IR photos, laser photography...

Camera's auto white-balance, auto exposure, gamma, compression factors, etc may screw the details you want to capture.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The best photo editing software I have ever used

http://www.niksoftware.com/viveza/usa/entry.php?view=intro/viveza_announcement.shtml

I used to spend hours in photoshop, dodging, burning, selective sharpening etc. Now I do everything in less than 10 minutes.

Try it. You won't look back.

I hardly ever use photoshop features anymore. After I've finished with my raw converter, (I use Capture One) I go straight to this plug in.

lab.jpg

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Its the white balance that made me go to raw. I was shooting at a particular location and got good results. The following year I went back but different time of year and it was winter. The colour was off and the entire lot went into the dustbin. On another occasion despite the light being the same the temp changed within a few hours and the white balance screwed me again. Despite auto-balance.

Camera's auto white-balance, auto exposure, gamma, compression factors, etc may screw the details you want to capture.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
i looked and looked at the dog for some time thinking that at some point it would start winking.

http://www.niksoftware.com/viveza/usa/entry.php?view=intro/viveza_announcement.shtml

I used to spend hours in photoshop, dodging, burning, selective sharpening etc. Now I do everything in less than 10 minutes.

I hardly ever use photoshop features anymore. After I've finished with my raw converter, (I use Capture One) I go straight to this plug in.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

Its the white balance that made me go to raw. I was shooting at a particular location and got good results. The following year I went back but different time of year and it was winter. The colour was off and the entire lot went into the dustbin. On another occasion despite the light being the same the temp changed within a few hours and the white balance screwed me again. Despite auto-balance.

You need one of these....

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Pocket...k-Release-Photography/dp/tech-data/B001G04VJO

Snap just before you start shooting.. then use it to set custom white balance.

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal

That's why camera makers considered for the purposes beyond normal and retained RAW.

This gave the digital camera a closer level of the old film camera's ability to capture.

Today's best digtial sensors already exceeded most films in term of resolution (film @8000dpi @ASA=64) but there are still some little things that film can do better than digital. Digitals' SMART software some time Kay Kiang and screwed some things that can not be restored, so camera makers make available the RAW form of data trying to be as raw as film.

White balance is on such thing, that for film they can be corrected in DARK ROOMS later. The dark rooms are vanished with digital, and the Smart software instantly decided to discard and crush away some portions of raw data before storing in flash memory. RAW format prevented that. So later you can still use software to get wanted info out of raw data.

Software's optimization and compression economized storage media, but that compress the possibilities for some cases as well.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jp27s0edSos" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Saturday (7th) I went to the Singapore launching of this new camera, I skipped their movie and saminar but was at the demo.

There were 2 CF card slots plus one SD card slot. Not as complicated as REDS but also cost less, I guess about S$30K.

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

what about aperture 3?? have you use that before? how does it compare.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
what about aperture 3?? have you use that before? how does it compare.

Have not tried Aperture. I went to Capture One when I purchased a Phase One digital back. I was using Lightroom but I didn't like the way it stored the images. They were very hard to find.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agree on the hard work but you don't have deal with all of them.

After a while you will realise that despite all the effort only about 5 or even less than that will go into your library of great photos. The rest goes to the general collection. For the odd 5, the composition is excellent, its a golden moment except you can't tweak it to the optimum. With RAW you have the universe at your feet.

That is true. most photo does not warrent the effort to adjust.

But if i do not adjust every photo, when i view them all in a row, i will see that photo here too bright, that area not enough shadow detail, then i go back and readjust. Not necessary better, but the urge is there.
I know i need to improve my efficiency, but there is so much option to adjust in a photo.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

i look at the tutorial of the viveza, and i feel that aperture 3 have better faster and much more adjustment than this. Oh no i will never use photoshop to adjust raw, just too much work.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is true. most photo does not warrent the effort to adjust.

But if i do not adjust every photo, when i view them all in a row, i will see that photo here too bright, that area not enough shadow detail, then i go back and readjust. Not necessary better, but the urge is there.
I know i need to improve my efficiency, but there is so much option to adjust in a photo.

i used to shoot in raw too...then find it a hassle to edit each one...

also, i even shoot in burst and then I begin to see 2 = 3 photos almost identical...my head begin to spin...my eyes water...

i give it to you, you have the determination & patience.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That's why camera makers considered for the purposes beyond normal and retained RAW.
Saturday (7th) I went to the Singapore launching of this new camera, I skipped their movie and saminar but was at the demo.
There were 2 CF card slots plus one SD card slot. Not as complicated as REDS but also cost less, I guess about S$30K.

For a person with cheap digicam for video, you go to canon high end video launch?? Did you see the size of that things, who is going to carry it around.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i used to shoot in raw too...then find it a hassle to edit each one...
also, i even shoot in burst and then I begin to see 2 = 3 photos almost identical...my head begin to spin...my eyes water...
i give it to you, you have the determination & patience.

Damn i have the same problem. My patience is running out. I am always looking at way to reduce to workflow of RAW. Or lower my standard, that will work too.