• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How to shoot in raw?

Nelson_Tan

Alfrescian
Loyal
i just buying a new camera and new to shooting phoographs. I wants to take pics of Freddie and other stylistic scenes but still finds out how useing this camera. Freddie tolds me that now shoot in raw is in think now. Its ends result very nice and natureal. Shoot in raw makes you photo takes very good feeling and satisfactions and very real. Freddie also tolds me that shoot in raw, for good raw, the size must be big big and useing up many spaces in you harddisck. You must have big harddisck to be able shooting in raw and feel better sensuals. I hopes shoot some in chinaese new year with Freddie and ask Leslie and Alan to join for fun and action pics.

Whats bestest way to shoot in raw to get best satistactions? Any exbirds tries raw can adviscing me?

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i just buying a new camera and new to shooting phoographs. I wants to take pics of Freddie and other stylistic scenes but still finds out how useing this camera. Freddie tolds me that now shoot in raw is in think now. Its ends result very nice and natureal. Shoot in raw makes you photo takes very good feeling and satisfactions and very real. Freddie also tolds me that shoot in raw, for good raw, the size must be big big and useing up many spaces in you harddisck. You must have big harddisck to be able shooting in raw and feel better sensuals. I hopes shoot some in chinaese new year with Freddie and ask Leslie and Alan to join for fun and action pics.

Whats bestest way to shoot in raw to get best satistactions? Any exbirds tries raw can adviscing me?

hi there

1. aiyoh!
2. what talking you ????????
3. what raw, freddie?

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Bestest way 2 shoot in raw...after every shooting session...go look for a function call format...press it...it will format ur peekture sui sui boi qui chwee...:biggrin::biggrin:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wah ha ha...

shoot in raw...well you just do everything like you nid to do...setup the equipment, your tool, your model...and then action...

when ready to shoot, take off the protective cap from your 'lens' n 'shoot'...thats how you shoot in raw...

===

on the serious note.

your equipment will have a setting /menu to change the setting - from jpg to raw. takes up more space and require special prog to view on comp. dunno abt Apple though.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
red amoeba said:
wah ha ha...

shoot in raw...well you just do everything like you nid to do...setup the equipment, your tool, your model...and then action...

when ready to shoot, take off the protective cap from your 'lens' n 'shoot'...thats how you shoot in raw...

===

on the serious note.

your equipment will have a setting /menu to change the setting - from jpg to raw. takes up more space and require special prog to view on comp. dunno abt Apple though.

I thought you need to configure the camera first and every picture taken will then be in raw. If you decide you want to save memory space, you convert it to jpg and throw the raw.

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello forumers here made fun of your thread title because they got the SEX idea. Shoot in raw may mean have sex without condom and shoot sperm in virginal! :wink::biggrin::*:

RAW format is only available in very expensive models. Usually digital SLRs only. It is HUGE file and no compression format, and raw data without much processing is dumped on media, usually CF flash. SD usually not suitable to store RAW format because only CF are fast enough to handle huge files.

Camera setup menu should allow you to change format e.g. JPEG / RAW / TIFF under quality or file type:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/image_compression/how_to_set_raw_jpeg.do

ic_BTV002.jpg

ic_BTV003.jpg

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I only shoot in RAW, but i spend weeks in front of computer after the shoot to correct every single photo using Aperture 3 from apple.
If you are not as committed like me. Do not shoot RAW. Too much work. Also you need a highend computer, or it will be big pain.

It is a lot of work to correct every single photo, but the results are much better than jpg from camera.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sure it is legimate questions. unless we know something about the nick, why not.

is this person not being truthful?

Last edited:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I cannot believe pple taking Nelson seriously

That what I like this forum. Many people will help and some get the wrong ideas because they dont understand or never take change any setting on camera.
Many just know how to ON camera, some simple setting like scene and charge the battery. Many dont even know how to use Micro/even off the flash. Many just use AUTO mode.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Too Much Data Size

RAW format is only available in very expensive models. Usually digital SLRs only. It is HUGE file and no compression format, and raw data without much processing is dumped on media, usually CF flash. SD usually not suitable to store RAW format because only CF are fast enough to handle huge files.

Of course beautiful with no loss = original pic quality compared to JPEG in general. RAW pix means you have to carry an arsenal of support devices to free the memory in your cam. Extra batt power is a must for shooting.

TIFF is a (old) standard and can be read by many applications.

RAW is a generic term meaning whatever type of format the camera manufacturer chooses to store uncompressed pictures. These are proprietary within the make (and sometimes differ between models too).

Both are (usually) losslessly compressed or not compressed at all.

Using RAW files usually means you have more power and shoot-information when importing the file than TIFF gives. For example, white balance, de-vignetting, exposure modification etc.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
It is a lot of work to correct every single photo, but the results are much better than jpg from camera.

You don't have to correct every single photo. Photographers shoot raw so that no data is discarded by the camera. This gives a much wider latitude when it comes to adjusting parameters on specific images.

I shoot all my images in raw. I then transfer the images to my computer and run a standard batch process which adjusts basic parameters such as sharpening, contrast and noise.

Only then do I go in an adjust individual images which I have chosen to use.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You don't have to correct every single photo. Photographers shoot raw so that no data is discarded by the camera. This gives a much wider latitude when it comes to adjusting parameters on specific images.

I shoot all my images in raw. I then transfer the images to my computer and run a standard batch process which adjusts basic parameters such as sharpening, contrast and noise.

Only then do I go in an adjust individual images which I have chosen to use.

i try to do that use a work flow. but i am very particular about a lot of things, shadow detail, over expose of subject, highlight clipping, color temperature etc.

I end up tweaking every single photo. one setting never make me happy with the result, i have to adjust all parameters including cropping and level the photo.
After each vacation, i need to spend a few weeks to work on the photos. a lot of work.

honestly i feel all DSLR picture without all the tweaking i mention is shit, i will throw it into trash, i must tweak each photo to make it perfect, after spending weeks, when i view it on my 30 inch monitor, shiok.