• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How long can you last if you were to lose your job?

SockPuppet

Alfrescian
Loyal
You never heard of a thing called insurance?

Insurance side I got it covered. Hospitalisation, accident and life insurance etc but somehow, how often does insurance become payable except on death.
The point I am trying to make is what if we lose our jobs and have to continue our expenses, actually can be very scary.
Now I am beginning to think that I did not plan enough....

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Insurance side I got it covered. Hospitalisation, accident and life insurance etc but somehow, how often does insurance become payable except on death.
The point I am trying to make is what if we lose our jobs and have to continue our expenses, actually can be very scary.
Now I am beginning to think that I did not plan enough....

You planned enough ...but the government plans more. They are constantly introducing polices that make your job less secure and to take more of your money away. Sinkapore as a low tax haven is pure bs. You pay through your nose for everything. At the end of the day, you are better off paying 50 percent tax in Scandinavian countries and enjoying services that you don't even know existed to make your life more carefree.

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
i can last 4 years without any deviation from my current lifestyle.
if save a bit..maybe 5 years

if opposite fight for my cpf to be in my pocket...can last 10 years

Last edited:

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
A close shave at work almost led to me losing my job.
After the danger was over, the experience makes me wonder what would have happened if I were to lose my job.
I got a mortgage for the flat, I got monthly expenses to meet, I got some small savings but it would be tough when the next job cannot come by quick enough.
My calculations reveal that I should be able to last 8 months. Is that safe?
What is the average amount of "fat" that we should keep for a rainy day?
Let's hear the views from the forumners.

The following will happen to you if you lose your job:

1. You will not get back your last salary.
2. Should you be over 35, you will not be able to find a job of your choice within 6 months.
3. Should you be over 40, be prepared to a security guard or other similar jobs.
4. Should you be a degree holder, do not even try to compete with a Poly grad, who will beat you hands down.

VTO 2016

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
After the danger was over, the experience makes me wonder what would have happened if I were to lose my job.
I got a mortgage for the flat, I got monthly expenses to meet, I got some small savings but it would be tough when the next job cannot come by quick enough.

8 months emergency saving is not enough. With all the foreigners around, you better have 12 months.

Spend your free time learning new skills and building a source of passive income so that you can tide over any unemployment period.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You are better condition compare to other. More than 50% cannot last 6 month. Every month waiting for salary to pay bill. Late few day payment salary KPKB.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I have my first job after I graduated and after 9 month I show my boss the middle finger. Eversince I dun have a job and I have survived for more than 10 years. How come ah?

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Your savings and your $ commitments will determine how long you can last once lose job.

If you're over 40 and lose your job, its practically game over for you. I've seen too many cases. One friend of mine took up part time teaching post and suffered severe loss of income. Another went into credit card debt and nearly divorced. Yet another became a pimp (we all avoid him nowadays because he has a habit of cheating girls). Another one went into the business of arranging illegal marriages of convenience. Another one went into MLM and then ended up being a driver in Geylang for the legal houses.

Too many sad examples.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If you're over 40 and lose your job, its practically game over for you. I've seen too many cases. One friend of mine took up part time teaching post and suffered severe loss of income. Another went into credit card debt and nearly divorced. Yet another became a pimp (we all avoid him nowadays because he has a habit of cheating girls). Another one went into the business of arranging illegal marriages of convenience. Another one went into MLM and then ended up being a driver in Geylang for the legal houses.

Too many sad examples.

The outcome of a sinkie..

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Too many sad examples.

What a sad and pathetic existence of a Sinkie.

When young, scared of not getting good grades.

When working, scared of losing the job (no matter how shitty it is).

When elderly, scared of not having enough for retirement.

Even at the voting booth, keep voting PAP because of fear.

Even the modern history of Singapore (a.k.a the gospel according to LKY) is a narrative based on fear. How to survive without natural resources? How to be secure with (hostile?) Muslim neighbours surrounding us? What if Malaysia cuts water supply?

It is really terrible, cowering in fear from the cradle to the grave. How do you get people to shake off this pernicious conditioning?

Look at those Ang Mohs: they can take year-long sabbatical no pay leave, go backpacking around the world. You ask them to do no-pay OT, they (or their credible labour unions) tell you to go fuck yourself.

That is the way to live and enjoy life: passion and joy, not fear, fear and more fear.

What good is hoarding money purely for the sake of hoarding money and not enjoying yourself?

It's about time Sinkie start to deprogram themselves from this unspeakable matrix.

Here is a start:

[video=youtube;Dv4H5YywSWY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv4H5YywSWY[/video]

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Too many sad examples.

Sad isnt it?

I have 4 friends who lost their jobs in their mid-40s to early 50s. All cabbies now. Iron rice bowl wont make you rich but there's stability. Maybe that's why civil servants kowtow to their bosses and for high ranking ones they kowtow to their political masters.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good network also plays a part.. Important to have reliable contacts when it comes to job openings..

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
How is there stability? You mean perpetual poverty I think. If you do not intend to work rent in JB. Your money will last way longer. And forget insurance. You will never cover the expense . So might as well cancel the policies. Hospitals cannot refuse treatment

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What a sad and pathetic existence of a Sinkie.

When young, scared of not getting good grades.

When working, scared of losing the job (no matter how shitty it is).

When elderly, scared of not having enough for retirement.

Even at the voting booth, keep voting PAP because of fear.

Even the modern history of Singapore (a.k.a the gospel according to LKY) is a narrative based on fear. How to survive without natural resources? How to be secure with (hostile?) Muslim neighbours surrounding us? What if Malaysia cuts water supply?

It is really terrible, cowering in fear from the cradle to the grave. How do you get people to shake off this pernicious conditioning?

Look at those Ang Mohs: they can take year-long sabbatical no pay leave, go backpacking around the world. You ask them to do no-pay OT, they (or their credible labour unions) tell you to go fuck yourself.

That is the way to live and enjoy life: passion and joy, not fear, fear and more fear.

What good is hoarding money purely for the sake of hoarding money and not enjoying yourself?

It's about time Sinkie start to deprogram themselves from this unspeakable matrix.

That is why i stay away from sinkies.. i live a real life after that.. full of happiness.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

There are too many variables on how long one can last. Bear in mind that usually when one lose their job, their expenditures will be greatly reduced as compared to when they are working (provided that person is a non gambler).
When you calculated can last 8 mths, in actual fact usually can last to a year ..But with so many foreign influx, the probability of landing a decent job is greatly reduced. So in order to last longer, we should try to do some part time jobs, e.g. packing, delivery etc at least can earn some money for makan and bills.
I quit my jobs many times without finding another, usually I will do some part time jobs and slowly find a decent one.

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sad isnt it?

I have 4 friends who lost their jobs in their mid-40s to early 50s. All cabbies now. Iron rice bowl wont make you rich but there's stability. Maybe that's why civil servants kowtow to their bosses and for high ranking ones they kowtow to their political masters.

Government should create policies that seek build a middle-income society instead of one that sell people a myth that they can be rich if they get an education and work hard.
We have ministers travel to the northern European countries to study their societies. They come back criticizing the social welfare programmes, using incorrect info. What a waste of our money! The PAP can't follow the Scandinavian countries as their grip on power will be seriously dented when people have time to participate in the governing of their country. The Scandinavian model creates a society where everyone can achieve middle-class existence, with work-life balance and time to have other pursuits outside work. You are living instead of existing.