• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hokkien Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
It's never missing. Now consolidated more powerful.
Hokay :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
giphy.gif

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Housekeeping? What housekeeping? Its for myself. I am a Hokkien and I love reading all these Hokkien posts, its all over the forum and very confusing so I thought I'd consolidate them for my easy reference so that I will not miss any post. I can do it for my benefit because I am moderator.
No wonder auntie Gin only scold Zhihau and dont scold u,,,,ka ki lang,,,,,cannot scold.....hahahahahahah

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good housekeeping :biggrin:
Please ensure that future Hokkien threads fold into this thread too :roflmao:

Ah Joe did a good job,,,I will not make a few contributions of my own,,,Fuckeins contribution to WW2,,

Taiwanese Imperial Japan Serviceman
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Ethnic Taiwanese Imperial Japan Serviceman)

Jump to navigationJump to search

Taiwanese servicemen in the Imperial Japanese Army.

Taiwanese student draftees at a farewell party.
A Taiwanese Imperial Japan Serviceman (Chinese: 台籍日本兵; Japanese: 台湾人日本兵) is any Taiwanese person who served in the Imperial Japanese Army or Navy during World War IIwhether as a soldier, a sailor, or in another non-combat capacity. According to statistics provided by Japan's Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, during the Second Sino-Japanese War and the subsequent World War II, a total of 207,183 Taiwanese served in the military of Imperial Japan and 30,304 of them were declared killed or missing in action.
History[edit]
In the fall of 1937, the Empire of Japan began recruiting Taiwanese into its military; prior to that, Taiwanese were banned from serving in the military of Imperial Japan. As the war continued, there was an increasing need of translators for conducting military operations in China, and many Taiwanese volunteers were given training courses in Min, Cantonese and Mandarin languages, and served as translators for the Imperial Japanese Army operating in China. The number of Taiwanese serving in this capacity was classified, and remains unknown.[1]
In 1942, after the United States entered the war on the Allied side, Japan lifted its ban on Taiwanese serving in a combat capacity, and began the Army Special Volunteers Act (Japanese: 陸軍特別志願兵令) in Taiwan. This act allowed the residents of Japan's overseas territories and colonies to serve in its army, and was first enacted in Korea in 1938. The first few recruitment drives were limited in scale, with only a few hundred openings available to a relatively large number of applicants. The scale gradually expanded in order to replenish the losses of manpower on the battlefield. A similar program, the Navy Special Volunteers Program (海軍特別志願兵制度), was established in 1943 in both Taiwan and Korea to allow non-Japanese to serve in the Navy.
With Japan's manpower depleting, the Japanese government terminated the army and navy special volunteers programs in 1944 and 1945 respectively, replacing them with systematic conscription.[2] Before Japan's surrender, there were 126,750 non-combatants and 80,453 soldiers and sailors serving in Japan's military, with roughly 16,000 of them having been recruited through volunteer programs. A total of 30,304 servicemen, or 15 percent of those recruited and conscripted, were killed or presumed killed in action. Additionally, 173 Taiwanese who served in the Imperial Japanese military were found guilty of Class B and C war crimes. 26 Taiwanese servicemen were sentenced to death, although only two sentences were carried out.
Veterans[edit]

Lee Teng-hui, right, with his brother, Lee Teng-chin, who is seen here in navy officer uniform.
When asked the reason for serving, many veterans stated that they joined for better treatment for them and for their families. According to interviewed veterans, those who served were given extra food and other rationed articles for their families, and were less likely to be discriminated against by the Japanese government.[3] Another reason, as stated by some veterans, was that they were treated more equally with the Japanese in the military because they "were all soldiers for the Emperor." After Japan's defeat and handover of Taiwan, many veterans who survived the war were persecuted by the Kuomintang(Nationalist) government because the Nationalists saw them as Hanjian (race traitors) for serving in the Japanese military.[4] Some veterans later joined the February 28 uprising against the Nationalist government that resulted in further oppression during the White Terror.
Former President Lee Teng-hui of the Republic of China briefly served as a second lieutenant in the Imperial Japanese Army in the final months of World War II. His brother, Lee Teng-chin, was killed in action in the Philippines while serving in the Imperial Japanese Navy and his remains were never recovered. Lee Teng-chin and at least 26,000 Taiwanese Imperial Japan servicemen and hundreds of Takasago Volunteers, who were killed or presumed killed in action, were enshrined in the Yasukuni Shrine in Tokyo, Japan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwanese_Imperial_Japan_Serviceman

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Ah Joe did a good job,,,I will not make a few contributions of my own,,,Fuckeins contribution to WW2,,

Taiwanese Imperial Japan Serviceman
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Ethnic Taiwanese Imperial Japan Serviceman)

Jump to navigationJump to search

Taiwanese servicemen in the Imperial Japanese Army.

Taiwanese student draftees at a farewell party.
A Taiwanese Imperial Japan Serviceman (Chinese: 台籍日本兵; Japanese: 台湾人日本兵) is any Taiwanese person who served in the Imperial Japanese Army or Navy during World War IIwhether as a soldier, a sailor, or in another non-combat capacity. According to statistics provided by Japan's Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, during the Second Sino-Japanese War and the subsequent World War II, a total of 207,183 Taiwanese served in the military of Imperial Japan and 30,304 of them were declared killed or missing in action.
History[edit]
In the fall of 1937, the Empire of Japan began recruiting Taiwanese into its military; prior to that, Taiwanese were banned from serving in the military of Imperial Japan. As the war continued, there was an increasing need of translators for conducting military operations in China, and many Taiwanese volunteers were given training courses in Min, Cantonese and Mandarin languages, and served as translators for the Imperial Japanese Army operating in China. The number of Taiwanese serving in this capacity was classified, and remains unknown.[1]
In 1942, after the United States entered the war on the Allied side, Japan lifted its ban on Taiwanese serving in a combat capacity, and began the Army Special Volunteers Act (Japanese: 陸軍特別志願兵令) in Taiwan. This act allowed the residents of Japan's overseas territories and colonies to serve in its army, and was first enacted in Korea in 1938. The first few recruitment drives were limited in scale, with only a few hundred openings available to a relatively large number of applicants. The scale gradually expanded in order to replenish the losses of manpower on the battlefield. A similar program, the Navy Special Volunteers Program (海軍特別志願兵制度), was established in 1943 in both Taiwan and Korea to allow non-Japanese to serve in the Navy.
With Japan's manpower depleting, the Japanese government terminated the army and navy special volunteers programs in 1944 and 1945 respectively, replacing them with systematic conscription.[2] Before Japan's surrender, there were 126,750 non-combatants and 80,453 soldiers and sailors serving in Japan's military, with roughly 16,000 of them having been recruited through volunteer programs. A total of 30,304 servicemen, or 15 percent of those recruited and conscripted, were killed or presumed killed in action. Additionally, 173 Taiwanese who served in the Imperial Japanese military were found guilty of Class B and C war crimes. 26 Taiwanese servicemen were sentenced to death, although only two sentences were carried out.
Veterans[edit]

Lee Teng-hui, right, with his brother, Lee Teng-chin, who is seen here in navy officer uniform.
When asked the reason for serving, many veterans stated that they joined for better treatment for them and for their families. According to interviewed veterans, those who served were given extra food and other rationed articles for their families, and were less likely to be discriminated against by the Japanese government.[3] Another reason, as stated by some veterans, was that they were treated more equally with the Japanese in the military because they "were all soldiers for the Emperor." After Japan's defeat and handover of Taiwan, many veterans who survived the war were persecuted by the Kuomintang(Nationalist) government because the Nationalists saw them as Hanjian (race traitors) for serving in the Japanese military.[4] Some veterans later joined the February 28 uprising against the Nationalist government that resulted in further oppression during the White Terror.
Former President Lee Teng-hui of the Republic of China briefly served as a second lieutenant in the Imperial Japanese Army in the final months of World War II. His brother, Lee Teng-chin, was killed in action in the Philippines while serving in the Imperial Japanese Navy and his remains were never recovered. Lee Teng-chin and at least 26,000 Taiwanese Imperial Japan servicemen and hundreds of Takasago Volunteers, who were killed or presumed killed in action, were enshrined in the Yasukuni Shrine in Tokyo, Japan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwanese_Imperial_Japan_Serviceman
So desu ne, are you saying @ginfreely comes from a family of Chink traitors? :thumbsdown:

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fuckeins sucking up to the Nips,,,want compensation for supporting the Nips in WW2....also do not forget,,,,the most brutal prison guards were the Kim Chee and Fuckein Nip collaborators,,,

Former 'Japanese' soldiers, military workers in Taiwan seek recognition, redress
August 15, 2018 (Mainichi Japan)
Japanese version
7.jpg

Chao Chung-chiu recalls his days as a worker in the Japanese Imperial Army. He repeatedly said during the interview, "Please listen to my story." (Mainichi)
KAOHSIUNG/TAIPEI -- It's been 73 years since World War II ended on Aug, 15, 1945, but some former Taiwanese soldiers and workers in the Imperial Japanese Army, many of them in their 90s, remain dissatisfied with Japan. They fought for and supported Japan during the war as "Japanese nationals" under Tokyo's colonial rule, but feel that they were betrayed by the Japanese government as it has offered less compensation for their sacrifices in battle compared to redress for their Japanese comrades.
"Are you saying that Taiwanese didn't do their best to serve Japan?" said Chao Chung-chiu, 90, in fluent Japanese at his home in the city of Kaohsiung in the southern part of Taiwan, which had been a Japanese colony from 1895 to 1945. Chao sounded as if he was representing many of the 200,000 or more Taiwanese who joined the Japanese army as soldiers or workers. Of the total, at least 30,000 were killed at war.
Those former soldiers and workers lost their Japanese nationality after the war, unable to qualify for pensions for former Japanese soldiers and compensation programs for former military workers. They also had to endure the dictatorship of the Kuomintang nationalist party led by Chiang Kai-shek who fled from mainland China in 1949 after his defeat by the Chinese communists.
Since fiscal 1988, the government of Japan has paid 2 million yen per person for Taiwanese soldiers and workers who were killed during their service in the Japanese Imperial Army. But the amount was far less than that for Japanese nationals, and some of the former soldiers in Taiwan and others filed a lawsuit in Japan seeking 5 million yen each in compensation. Their court battle ended in defeat at the Supreme Court in 1992.
"I don't want the people of Japan to forget us," said Chao, who volunteered to join the Japanese army as a worker when he was 15. "It was for the country, for the Emperor, as a Japanese national," he explained.
Chao did construction work in Myanmar and Thailand, and marched through jungles in those tropical countries. "People were dying like flies from malnutrition and malaria," he said.
The hardships even worsened when the war was over. Chao had to survive by "eating snakes, lizards or whatever was available" for nearly three years as he was unable to come home amid postwar confusion. He is angry that the amount of compensation for military workers was less than that for soldiers. "I'm not happy because we did soldiers' work more than the soldiers did."
Liao Shu-hsia, 90, is not happy either. "I am sad having been born Taiwanese," said Liao at her home in Taipei, the capital of Taiwan in the north. She said she was forced to work as a nurse with little training when she was 16 at a Japanese Imperial Army hospital in Shanghai in eastern China where she was staying because of her father's job. Liao had to work under frequent air raids, and a Korean girl she worked with was killed in a bombing.
Liao was forced to save all her wages, meaning she effectively worked for free. When the war ended, she had 1,566 yen in her account, but she could not withdraw the money. "The amount was enough to build a house in Taiwan back then," explained Liao.
She returned to Taiwan in 1947. Efforts by former Taiwanese soldiers in the Imperial Japanese Army and others bore fruit, and Liao was finally able to receive her savings in 2000. But the amount the Japanese government gave her, based on its conversion of monetary values, was just 192,340 yen, or about 1,730 U.S. dollars at today's value.
"I wouldn't demand the money if Japan was poor, but Japan is an economic power," said an angry Liao. "They are making a fool out of me."
"We were told to bleed for the emperor, and my husband enlisted with the Japanese army. Japan was successful in turning us into the emperor's people," said Liao. "War is wrong. Without war, so many people wouldn't have died."
(Japanese original by Shizuya Fukuoka, Taipei Bureau)
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20180815/p2a/00m/0na/024000c

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Korean guilty of Japanese war crimes fights for compensation
By SHUICHI YUTAKA/ Senior Staff Writer
January 7, 2019 at 08:30 JST
AS20190104003264_comm.jpg
An aerial photo of Tokyo’s Sugamo Prison in December 1957 (Asahi Shimbun file photo)
Japan saw Lee Hak-rae, an ethnic Korean, as “Japanese” when it sent him to serve on a World War II battlefield under its colonial rule of Korea at the time.
But when he sought benefits and services from Japan after the war ended, Lee was told he wasn't eligible for them as he is “not Japanese.”
After the war ended, Allied forces prosecuted him on charges of abusing POWs. The court ruled that Lee failed to stop his subordinates from exercising physical abuse and forced sick prisoners to work.
He was convicted as a Class-B/C war criminal and sentenced to death by hanging.
The death sentence was later commuted.
“We were mobilized for the war as Japanese, and I was sentenced to death,” Lee said at a recent photo exhibition featuring Korean Class-B/C war criminals in Nishi-Tokyo, western Tokyo. “Some of my buddies went insane and took their own lives. But we have not been given relief or compensation, and our honor has yet to be restored. That doesn’t stand to reason.”
During the war, Lee was a Japanese prison guard at a construction site for the Thai-Burma Railway, also known as the infamous “Death Railway.” Ten thousand Allied prisoners of war died during the construction of the railway. Events there inspired the Oscar-winning fictional film "The Bridge on the River Kwai."
Koreans who served Japan such as Lee have been working with Class-B/C war criminals from Taiwan, a Japanese colony until the end of the war, and their bereaved family members, calling on legislation that would provide each of them 3 million yen ($27,000) in special benefits.
The Public Officers Pension Law, the Law on Relief of War Victims and Survivors and other relief measures were developed after the war to help former Japanese service members and civilian employees of the military, but the government has refused to provide these benefits to soldiers it considers foreign nationals.
Now 93 and in a wheelchair, Lee is eager to see a resolution of the historical issue in his lifetime.
He released a statement on Dec. 10, the day an extraordinary Diet session closed, saying he wants to see a relief bill passed in the 2019 ordinary Diet session.
A bill to offer relief to Class-B/C war criminals from Korea and Taiwan was submitted to the Lower House in 2008, by the then Democratic Party of Japan. However, it was abandoned when the chamber was dissolved the following year and was not submitted again.
No bill for similar legislation was proposed to the Diet in 2018.
“I was only 20 when Japan was defeated in the war, but I am turning 94 next year,” he said at the exhibition on Dec. 16. “Most of my buddies have already left this world. Only a handful are likely still alive in South Korea, Taiwan and Japan combined.”
People classified as Class-B/C war criminals are those who have been found guilty at military tribunals of the Allied powers for committing “conventional war crimes,” including abusing prisoners.
They are distinguished from Class-A war criminals, military leaders who planned the war, who were prosecuted for “crimes against peace.”
Lee is one of three Class-B/C war criminals from Korea who currently lives in Japan.
Koreans accounted for 148 of the 5,700 Class-B/C war crime defendants tried in various locations across East Asia between October 1945 and April 1951. Twenty-three of the Koreans were executed.
Lee was an inmate at Tokyo’s Sugamo Prison when he set up a group called “Doshinkai” (forward together association) with fellow Korean Class-B/C war criminals in April 1955 to call for a guarantee of their livelihood and early release, among other things.
They staged sit-ins outside the prime minister’s office building, submitted written requests to successive prime ministers from Ichiro Hatoyama, who took power from 1954 to 1956, and fought a court battle calling for an apology and compensation.
The Doshinkai group is now in its 64th year of existence.
Lee has been in and out of the hospital since 2017. He was rushed to a university hospital on Nov. 10, where he underwent surgery to remove a blood clot from his brain.
Despite his poor health, he was firmly determined to attend the photo exhibition. Lee had been preparing his manuscript for several days ahead of his talk, said his wife, Kang Bok-soon, 82.
“I'd have no excuse to make before my buddies who were executed if things were to go on like this,” he quietly told the audience at the event in a community hall.
“Resolving the anguish of our colleagues is the duty of us survivors.”
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201901070007.html

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
British ex-POW in Japanese camp 'disgusted' by guard demands for compensation
Survivor of 'Death Railway' says Korean, Taiwanese guards were worst tormentors of Allied prisoners and 'should be whipped'
Japanese-POW_3101437b.jpg

A group of American soldiers captured by the Japanese during the Battle of Java. Photo: Getty

By Julian Ryall, Tokyo
6:00AM GMT 11 Nov 2014

A former POW of the Japanese has expressed "disgust" at a campaign by a group of auxiliary troops from Korea and Taiwan who were convicted of war crimes to have their names cleared and to receive compensation.
Thousands of men from Japan's colonies served in the Imperial Japanese Army in the early decades of the last century, primarily in rear-echelon areas in roles such as guards at Japan's notoriously brutal POW camps.
After Japan's defeat, 321 of its colonial subjects were convicted by Allied military courts of class B and C war crimes, including mistreatment of prisoners. In total, 26 Taiwanese and 23 Koreans were subsequently executed.
A group of veterans set up a group named Doshinkai in 1955 to demand that the government apologise for forcing them to join the Japanese military and, as a consequence, being convicted of war crimes. The group is also seeking compensation for what they claim has been damage to their reputations.
Lee Hyok-rae, the 89-year-old chairman of the group, told a meeting in Tokyo recently that the Japanese government must apologise soon as time is running out for the veterans. Of the 70 original members of the group, only five are still alive.
Related Articles
"I want to ask that our honour be restored very soon," Lee said.
Lee complained that while former servicemen convicted of war crimes receive monthly pensions, non-Japanese nationals receive a smaller amount.
"It's a tough situation and it's continuing," Lee said. "I would like to ask for support."
But Arthur Lane, who was a bugler with the Manchester Regiment and captured at the fall of Singapore in February 1942, says the troops from Japan's colonies were the most vicious abusers of prisoners.
British-POW-_3101443c.jpg

An emaciated British POW in a Japanese Camp
"The Japanese guards were bad, but the Koreans and the Formosans were the worst," he told The Telegraph from his home in Stockport.
"These were men who the Japanese looked down on as colonials, so they needed to show they were as good as the Japanese," he said. "And they had no-one else to take it out on other than us POWs."
Now 94, Lane was sent to work on the "Death Railway," which was designed to run from Thailand to the Indian border and to serve as the Japanese invasion route. An estimated 12,400 Allied POWs and some 90,000 Asian labourers died during the construction of the 258-mile track.
"After my capture, I witnessed many atrocities - murders, executions, beatings and instances of sadistic torture - and I was on the receiving end myself on a number of occasions," he said.
"I was also one of a handful of buglers in the camps and played my bugle at thousands of burials for the victims of the 'sons of heaven'," he added.
"That's why I have no sympathy for this group's claims," he added. "These men volunteered and they all knew exactly what they were doing. And they mistreated us because they wanted to please their masters and knew they could get away with it.
"They joined up for kicks, when Japan was winning the war, and they took advantage of that for their own enjoyment," Lane said.
"They won't get an apology or compensation from the Japanese government," he added. "I think a more fitting result would be to have then taken out and whipped for what they did to us."
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...gusted-by-guard-demands-for-compensation.html

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.soas.ac.uk/taiwanstudies/eats/eats2006/file46415.pdf

Taiwanese complicity in war-crimes There is ample evidence, beyond the above, that some Taiwanese citizens, like Koreans and other Japanese colonial subjects, were willing participants in war crimes of various degrees of infamy. One should not be unduly surprised, for in any country unfortunate enough to be occupied in war __ and one cannot exclude England as a hypothetical case __ there will be bad elements and common criminals willing to do the bidding of the occupying powers. The case of Taiwan is slightly different, however. By the nineteen-forties young males were to an extent highly nipponized; in fact a proportion in the 1930s are reported to have been actively hoping for a Japanese victory 5 in China, so that they could find careers as pro-consuls and carpet-baggers in the new Empire. In addition, those conscripted into the Japanese Army are said to have had an understandable fear of being sent to the Philippines to fight the Americans. This led them to take great pains to please the Japanese by volunteering for duties such as prisonguards. In this role both civilians and military personnel were caught up in the general sadism that characterized the day to day working of the camps. As is well known, the culture of beating and corporal punishment was a feature of the Japanese army, with every rank at risk of violence from the rank above, guards and prisoners at the bottom of the pile. Although numbers of Taiwanese individuals probably qualified as war criminals, and some may still be alive today, none were called to account, not even those who, in extreme cases, admitted to having actually executed prisoners in the Philippines. As for the Japanese officers, several were given prison sentences at the Tokyo tribunal, but the only ones sentenced to death and shot appear to have been those who ordered the execution of the fourteen captured American airmen in Taipei in June 1945.

Status
Not open for further replies.