• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Historical EPF vs CPF since 1955

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
all in all, the mas has done a fabulous job doing the balancing act.

Yes I have to thank the MAS for keeping our electronics business viable in the late 80s/early 90s when the two currencies were approaching parity.

We lost scores of contracts because our quotes, which had to be in USD but were costed in SGD, were simply uncompetitive compared to the rest of the region. I was actually worried that we would have to end up retrenching more than 50 sinkies and move all production to Indonesia where we had another plant.

However, EDB heard our cries for help and the MAS did a magnificent job of restoring the exchange rate to the point where we could hold our heads above water.

For that, I will always be grateful to the PAP.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If the SGD was weak, everything would cost more... petrol, transport, electronics, power, gas etc.

if sgd is strong doesnt it mean we are paying a premium?if sgd is as weak as ringgit,one mcdonalds meal would cost us roughly 3USD.but because sgd is so strong,plus inflation and cost of living in singapore is so high,the cost of one mcdonalds meal has now reached nearly 10usd.

how can paying 10 usd for a bigmac meal be value for money?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If the SGD was weak, everything would cost more... petrol, transport, electronics, power, gas etc.

A weak SGD means more competitive products and services. Higher growth, more jobs being created, less foreigners want to come to sinkapore ....so much more positives for sinkees who live here.

quartz28

Alfrescian
Loyal
Move to Texas where there is NO state income taxes.
Sinkapore's health care, not cheap too ...unless you plan to be a C class patient. Then you have to find some way to hide your wealth.
Bro..compared to US, health care here is definately more affordable, C class or not .....of course, with the higher sing dollar, you can seek cheaper alternatives in thai or msia ...

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it's the usd that has crashed. the sgd has to be manipulated not to blow away the usd. otherwise, the sgd would have been sgd0.70 to usd1, more on par with the euro. consequences for the sg economy would be enormous if the sgd is not properly controlled and left to float freely based on its weight and strength. the mas has to keep the sgd liquid in order to walk the tightrope among export, import, inflation, and stability in a world economy still dominated by the u.s. plus, china is manipulating their rmb to try to keep pace with the fall of the usd. all in all, the mas has done a fabulous job doing the balancing act.

USD has crashed and rightfully so to spur US exports.

SGD rise is not supported by fundamentals. A strong SGD is not good for sinkees who live here. Yeah, the top 20 percent are happy until they lose their jobs. Really, only the top 10 percent benefit from a strong SGD.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
A weak SGD means more competitive products and services. Higher growth, more jobs being created, less foreigners want to come to sinkapore ....so much more positives for sinkees who live here.

That's a rather naive statement. It takes more than a weak currency to create jobs as can be seen in many basket economies with worthless currencies and 30% unemployment.

quartz28

Alfrescian
Loyal
if sgd is strong doesnt it mean we are paying a premium?if sgd is as weak as ringgit,one mcdonalds meal would cost us roughly 3USD.but because sgd is so strong,plus inflation and cost of living in singapore is so high,the cost of one mcdonalds meal has now reached nearly 10usd.

how can paying 10 usd for a bigmac meal be value for money?

Eh...since when does one McDonald meal reaches usd10?....I'm here in McDonald with my kid having breakfast..2 meals at around sgd10....
image.jpg

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Eh...since when does one McDonald meal reaches usd10?....I'm here in McDonald with my kid having breakfast..2 meals at around sgd10....
View attachment 15441

does it matter?that pathetic meal for 2 u just posted would still cost less than 3usd if our currency is as weak as ringgit msia.

not to mention for the same amount of money,i can buy a whole bucket of chicken to feed my family in msia....one bucket of chicken not 3 lousy playdough pancakes and a mcmuffin.

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's a rather naive statement. It takes more than a weak currency to create jobs as can be seen in many basket economies with worthless currencies and 30% unemployment.

Ceteris paribus, a competitive currency will spur export. That's why the US government weakens its currency.

quartz28

Alfrescian
Loyal
does it matter?that pathetic meal for 2 u just posted would still cost less than 3usd if our currency is as weak as ringgit msia.

not to mention for the same amount of money,i can buy a whole bucket of chicken to feed my family in msia....one bucket of chicken not 3 lousy playdough pancakes and a mcmuffin.

Agree that sgd10 can go a longer way in msia...but if you living in msia & earning in ringgit...you are hard pressed... a msian technician working in S'pore is earning more than an engineer in Msia ....we have busloads or motorcycle loads of msian coming to singapore to work everyday..

I rather have a strong sing dollar (to a certain limit that doesn't affects our competitiveness) so that i can save or spend more in other countries....taking my family for four for movie in JB cost about one & a half weekend ticket in singapore.....invest in a small UK apartment in uni town for student rental is >30% cheaper than 5yrs ago etc.......strong sing dollar is great....

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
USD has crashed and rightfully so to spur US exports.

the usd crashed because of horrendous financial policies and mismanagement and the great housing bust of 2007/2008 which was triggered by the collapse of subprime loans. jobs disappeared and americans clung to whatever meager savings they had. the sharp rise in savings (to forestall bankruptcy and losing of homes - it didn't help) and extreme care in spending meant consumer spending was low and cash was hoarded, which led to stagnation followed by a downward spiral of the economy. the fed and treasury took upon themselves to print more money as banks were complaining of constipation - bad omen if your shit wasn't flowing. the printing of more money led to the usd tanking. spurring exports wasn't the reason. it was an unintended consequence.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agree that sgd10 can go a longer way in msia...but if you living in msia & earning in ringgit...you are hard pressed... a msian technician working in S'pore is earning more than an engineer in Msia ....we have busloads or motorcycle loads of msian coming to singapore to work everyday..

I rather have a strong sing dollar (to a certain limit that doesn't affects our competitiveness) so that i can save or spend more in other countries....taking my family for four for movie in JB cost about one & a half weekend ticket in singapore.....invest in a small UK apartment in uni town for student rental is >30% cheaper than 5yrs ago etc.......strong sing dollar is great....

u dont understand it only benefits when ur spending sing dollars outside of singapore,but inside singapore it means u are paying too much for goods and services....it only benefits businesses and foreigners because they are earning strong sing dollars which they will take out and spend in their own country....

lets say im a malaysian businessman,importer/exporter of fried chicken,i drive my van to marrybrown and buy 1000 pieces of marrybrown chicken....that cost me about 3500 RM. that is about 1000 usd.i drive my van across causeway to yishun and sell my fried chicken in the neighbourhood like machiam kalipok for $3.30 sgd per piece price at kfc.....i earn about 3300 sgd which is about 2600 usd......the same fucking chicken that i bought for 1000 usd just made me $2600 usd and all i fucking did was drive it across the causeway....thanks to u idiots paying thru ur wallets,i am now $1600 usd richer in one day.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Eh...since when does one McDonald meal reaches usd10?....I'm here in McDonald with my kid having breakfast..2 meals at around sgd10......

If you have ever eaten at MacD in the US, you will notice that the portions there are larger than in Spore. The drink, the amount of fries, & even the size of the burger patties,... are all smaller.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you have ever eaten at MacD in the US, you will notice that the portions there are larger than in Spore. The drink, the amount of fries, & even the size of the burger patties,... are all smaller.

and cheaper too....US is a fat country....i heard they sell 50 piece chicken mcnuggets there for like $15.

Vp61fyt.jpg

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If that was indeed the case, there wouldn't be 2 million foreigners living there and millions more waiting to get in.

Many here would agree that Spore is a great place if you are a foreigner but a liability if you are a Sporean.
As a citizen your are disadvantaged by NS, reservist commitments & locked up CPF.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
If that was indeed the case, there wouldn't be 2 million foreigners living there and millions more waiting to get in.

90% or more of these foreigners include a large majority rom 3rd world countries who are here on low wages. A growing segment includes foreigners from 3rd world countries who are here solely because the PAPzis signed trade agreements allowing these unskilled and low quality workers here based on under table exchange of money throught human resource workers or employment agencies. A very small number are high value individuals who want to take advantage of Singapore's removal of estate tax duty. There is a very small number of sane individuals who are winners in life who want to come to such a screwed up country like Singapore.

quartz28

Alfrescian
Loyal
u dont understand it only benefits when ur spending sing dollars outside of singapore,but inside singapore it means u are paying too much for goods and services....it only benefits businesses and foreigners because they are earning strong sing dollars which they will take out and spend in their own country....

lets say im a malaysian businessman,importer/exporter of fried chicken,i drive my van to marrybrown and buy 1000 pieces of marrybrown chicken....that cost me about 3500 RM. that is about 1000 usd.i drive my van across causeway to yishun and sell my fried chicken in the neighbourhood like machiam kalipok for $3.30 sgd per piece price at kfc.....i earn about 3300 sgd which is about 2600 usd......the same fucking chicken that i bought for 1000 usd just made me $2600 usd and all i fucking did was drive it across the causeway....thanks to u idiots paying thru ur wallets,i am now $1600 usd richer in one day.

I don't know what you are arguing...???...that's just entrepreneurship... same thing you can use your strong sing to go to thai pratunam, china yiwu or even through Alibaba, buy in bulk & earn in btw....use your brain & earn more $$ in Singapore...you rather be a communist state, every week give you your rice & vege ration?

quartz28

Alfrescian
Loyal

yes...US is cheaper...same muffin at USD 0.99cents, free flow of coke, super huge fries, extra large burger (not qtr pounder but one third pounder)....which resulted in extreme obesity....