• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Historical EPF vs CPF since 1955

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it's a frogs in a well syndrome. until they live abroad long enough to feel their collective rears getting screwed time and time again, they would not appreciate the good things about sg. the reason why so many foreign investors are parking their money there these few years is due to the composite stellar performance of roi metrics with all factors considered, including but not limited to strong governance, stability, security, consistency, reliability, and surprisingly, privacy. the best folks to provide advice here on an apple for apple comparison on roi, fund and investment performance (including the so called or alleged "underperforming" cpf) are those who have been there, done that, seen it all overseas, especially in 1st world countries, and have decided to walk the talk by plunging their capital in sg, after exhaustive analysis. i'm regretful that i've not done it sooner in re-investing in sg.

is it because other countries citizens do not take kindly to their asses being screwed thats why roi/performance/metrics/blah blah blah is so good?can someone tell me why so many people eschew singapore as being the best place in the world yet they choose to reside in another country?lots of these hypocrites here.or is it benefits can only be enjoyed if u are not the one providing the benefits(singapore citizens giving blowjobs to foreigners and foreign investors).

after all in order for u to win(the investors),someone has to lose,and guess who the losers are?its a negative sum game.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
so u invest in sgd simply because ur country is a crap hole and full of lazy stupid people and ur currency is worth toilet paper?

i used to convert usd to sgd by the thousands every time i visit sg, and then convert the balance back to usd after my visit. every time i do that, i pay a price. and every year that i hold usd, i pay a higher price relative to holding sgd. the sgd has been appreciating against the usd for over a decade now that it makes no sense to hold usd in cash if one visits sg regularly and very often, almost like a 2nd home. the same can be said between the euro and the usd. i'm not referring to very large sums tantamount to limits that smell of money laundering and major capital transfer. i'm talking about carrying cash and converting a few thousands of usd to sgd upon every visit, well below the legal limit. since sg is so affordable (thanks to the pap), i'm left with thousands of sgd as balance. instead of converting back to usd, i might as well open an account in sg and park my balance there. the minimum amount in one sg bank is sgd1000. very easy and convenience. over several years, my accumulated balances after several visits would reach tens of thousands. we're not talking millions here. that account in sg far outperforms many of my other investments in the u.s. in the same monetary range. the interest earned is puny, but the sgd appreciation alone is enough to make me smile. :biggrin:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i used to convert usd to sgd by the thousands every time i visit sg, and then convert the balance back to usd after my visit. every time i do that, i pay a price. and every year that i hold usd, i pay a higher price relative to holding sgd. the sgd has been appreciating against the usd for over a decade now that it makes no sense to hold usd in cash if one visits sg regularly and very often, almost like a 2nd home. the same can be said between the euro and the usd. i'm not referring to very large sums tantamount to limits that smell of money laundering and major capital transfer. i'm talking about carrying cash and converting a few thousands of usd to sgd upon every visit, well below the legal limit. since sg is so affordable (thanks to the pap), i'm left with thousands of sgd as balance. instead of converting back to usd, i might as well open an account in sg and park my balance there. the minimum amount in one sg bank is sgd1000. very easy and convenience. over several years, my accumulated balances after several visits would reach tens of thousands. we're not talking millions here. that account in sg far outperforms many of my other investments in the u.s. in the same monetary range. the interest earned is puny, but the sgd appreciation alone is enough to make me smile. :biggrin:

but at the end of the day u are living in us,which means majority of the time u are paying us prices with us dollars,a weakening us dollar has harmed u and ur purchasing power greatly over the past ten years....u are fighting cancer with a breath mint.....

me as a poker player has also suffer disadvantages from the decline of the usd.....if usd has maintained its value pre 2001...i could enjoy a side income stream nearly double of what it is now.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
is it because other countries citizens do not take kindly to their asses being screwed thats why roi/performance/metrics/blah blah blah is so good?can someone tell me why so many people eschew singapore as being the best place in the world yet they choose to reside in another country?lots of these hypocrites here.or is it benefits can only be enjoyed if u are not the one providing the benefits(singapore citizens giving blowjobs to foreigners and foreign investors).

after all in order for u to win(the investors),someone has to lose,and guess who the losers are?its a negative sum game.

for the ultra wealthy, just the total lack of capital gains tax alone can be enough to move their wealth to sg. the ultra wealthy make much of their money from capital gains as they don't have a wage and earn a salary like workers do. the strength and stability of the sgd contribute to the decision making. the appreciation of the sgd relative to prominent global currencies is a bonus and cherry on a sundae. with the yen weakening, you'll expect to see more jap wealthies moving their money to sg. one of the wealthiest men in taiwan has decided to emigrate to sg and park his wealth there. :wink:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
but at the end of the day u are living in us,which means majority of the time u are paying us prices with us dollars,a weakening us dollar has harmed u and ur purchasing power greatly over the past ten years....u are fighting cancer with a breath mint.....

me as a poker player has also suffer disadvantages from the decline of the usd.....if usd has maintained its value pre 2001...i could enjoy a side income stream nearly double of what it is now.

i have other investments that give me an above-average roi in terms of equity appreciation, e.g. real estate, especially in the hot bay area market. if i were to be in sg all these years repeating the same investment behavior, my overall roi would have been better, as the real estate equity appreciation in sg has been way much better than the bay area in the last decade. the only reason i remain here is the hotbed of innovation and invention that i'm intimately involved in. once i'm tired of that, i will retire and stay (due to vast outdoors, lifestyle, and great climate), grudgingly pay the high cost of tax and healthcare, and spend half my time in sg to reduce expense. :biggrin:

inflation in the u.s. is on the rise due to weakening of the usd, but that's nothing compared to half the wealth i have to set aside for taxes and healthcare. imagine every million you keep, half of that will go to tax and healthcare. for some with chronic illnesses, it's over 100% of their wealth. sg by far remains a much safer place for wealth protection and expense control. :wink:

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The point is that not all things are equal and the Ringgit has been depreciating steadily over the years. It is now at a 15 year low.

It is always better to be in a strong currency environment. The lives of Singaporeans have improved tremendously as a result. When I was young, I was lucky I was taken for a holiday once every 2 years and it was never further than Cameron Highlands. The exchange rate of 3.5 SGD to 1 USD and 8 SGD to the £ made going further afield impossible.

Nowadays kids go to Disneyland and other exotic locations on a regular basis because the strong SGD makes such trips so cheap.

Sgd3.5 to usd1 and sgd8 to £1 is really many moons ago. And I recall during the 70s, it was rm0.8 to sgd1, thereafter it became rm1 to sgd1 and after that it's rm1.5 to sgd1 to now rm2.58 to sgd1.

It used to be parents really have to scrimp and save to sent their kids oversea for education. Now Singaporeans is talking about investing in foreign countries properties. Holiday here or there for some of them, twice a year or more, is often being heard now.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sgd3.5 to usd1 and sgd8 to £1 is really many moons ago. And I recall during the 70s, it was rm0.8 to sgd1, thereafter it became rm1 to sgd1 and after that it's rm1.5 to sgd1 to now rm2.58 to sgd1.

It used to be parents really have to scrimp and save to sent their kids oversea for education. Now Singaporeans is talking about investing in foreign countries properties. Holiday here or there for some of them, twice a year or more, is often being heard now.

What's the point of having a strong dollar when you have to import 2.5 million foreigners to dampen wages?
There is fundamental justification for a strong sing dollar. If there is, then our wages would be first world level. But we are not. Why?

How many sinkees can afford to own property overseas? Not more than 20 percent. Do we have policies to serve the 20 percent or the 80 percent?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i have other investments that give me an above-average roi in terms of equity appreciation, e.g. real estate, especially in the hot bay area market. if i were to be in sg all these years repeating the same investment behavior, my overall roi would have been better, as the real estate equity appreciation in sg has been way much better than the bay area in the last decade. the only reason i remain here is the hotbed of innovation and invention that i'm intimately involved in. once i'm tired of that, i will retire and stay (due to vast outdoors, lifestyle, and great climate), grudgingly pay the high cost of tax and healthcare, and spend half my time in sg to reduce expense. :biggrin:

inflation in the u.s. is on the rise due to weakening of the usd, but that's nothing compared to half the wealth i have to set aside for taxes and healthcare. imagine every million you keep, half of that will go to tax and healthcare. for some with chronic illnesses, it's over 100% of their wealth. sg by far remains a much safer place for wealth protection and expense control. :wink:

Move to Texas where there is NO state income taxes.
Sinkapore's health care, not cheap too ...unless you plan to be a C class patient. Then you have to find some way to hide your wealth.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What goes up will come down. Emerging economies collapses, sinkapore will be hit because it is treated as one of them.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
for the ultra wealthy, just the total lack of capital gains tax alone can be enough to move their wealth to sg. the ultra wealthy make much of their money from capital gains as they don't have a wage and earn a salary like workers do. the strength and stability of the sgd contribute to the decision making. the appreciation of the sgd relative to prominent global currencies is a bonus and cherry on a sundae. with the yen weakening, you'll expect to see more jap wealthies moving their money to sg. one of the wealthiest men in taiwan has decided to emigrate to sg and park his wealth there. :wink:

You think sinkees will not lynch the rich?

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
The point is that not all things are equal and the Ringgit has been depreciating steadily over the years. It is now at a 15 year low.

It is always better to be in a strong currency environment. The lives of Singaporeans have improved tremendously as a result. When I was young, I was lucky I was taken for a holiday once every 2 years and it was never further than Cameron Highlands. The exchange rate of 3.5 SGD to 1 USD and 8 SGD to the £ made going further afield impossible.

Nowadays kids go to Disneyland and other exotic locations on a regular basis because the strong SGD makes such trips so cheap.

Stay on the topic in your argument. We are talking about interest rates on retirement fund and not currency exchange. Devaluation of currency is cyclical and retirement interest is compounded. If you want to bring the discussion to beyond interest rates, there are many factors beyond, like rate of salary growth, gini coefficient, pp index, etc...

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it's a frogs in a well syndrome. until they live abroad long enough to feel their collective rears getting screwed time and time again, they would not appreciate the good things about sg. the reason why so many foreign investors are parking their money there these few years is due to the composite stellar performance of roi metrics with all factors considered, including but not limited to strong governance, stability, security, consistency, reliability, and surprisingly, privacy. the best folks to provide advice here on an apple for apple comparison on roi, fund and investment performance (including the so called or alleged "underperforming" cpf) are those who have been there, done that, seen it all overseas, especially in 1st world countries, and have decided to walk the talk by plunging their capital in sg, after exhaustive analysis. i'm regretful that i've not done it sooner in re-investing in sg.

Living in sinkapore is like living in an illusion. It can and will pop unexpectedly. Sinkapore is not first world. It is not wealthy. All the stats are pure bs. What the PAP has done is good spin and the international press doesn't care too much about this peesai to want to dig deeper. So, they just parrot the propaganda of the PAP.
The PAP's hold on the country is weakening. It is bankrupt of ideas to move this nation forward. Policies are put in place like band aids, just to hold back the tide of growing dissatisfaction.

You think being rich will immunize you from the deluge of resentment?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If that was indeed the case, there wouldn't be 2 million foreigners living there and millions more waiting to get in.

What kind of 2.5 million foreigners do we have here? Ah Nehs, Ah Tiongs and Pinoys. And cheap ang mos who can't make it back home.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Stay on the topic in your argument. We are talking about interest rates on retirement fund and not currency exchange. Devaluation of currency is cyclical and retirement interest is compounded. If you want to bring the discussion to beyond interest rates, there are many factors beyond, like rate of salary growth, gini coefficient, pp index, etc...

There is more to a retirement fund than just the interest yield. For example NZ and OZ are full of South African immigrants who are relative paupers compared to Singaporeans despite the fact that yield on the Rand is more than twice that of the SGD. This is because the value of the Rand has plummeted in recent years and the higher interest does not make up for the drop in value.

figure-6-ppp-value.jpg

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
The power and dominance of the SGD thanks to the astute management by the PAP.

SGD-USD-1.jpg

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The power and dominance of the SGD thanks to the astute management by the PAP.

SGD-USD-1.jpg

A strong SGD is useless to the majority of sinkees.

Despite the strong SGD, inflation is still high. See what is fundamentally wrong in this country? The SGD is being manipulated. The strong SGD is NOT based on fundamentals. It is unsustainable and will crash.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
A strong SGD is useless to the majority of sinkees.

Despite the strong SGD, inflation is still high. See what is fundamentally wrong in this country? The SGD is being manipulated. The strong SGD is NOT based on fundamentals. It is unsustainable and will crash.

A strong SGD is very useful for any sinkie that takes advantage of this fact. If the majority just sit on their hands, you can't blame the government for that.

The SGD is actually weaker than it should be as the MAS pegs it loosely to the USD.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A strong SGD is very useful for any sinkie that takes advantage of this fact. If the majority just sit on their hands, you can't blame the government for that.

We need policies that cater to the 80 percent, not the 20 percent. A strong SGD means fart to the working class when it leads to importing 2.5 million foreigners to displace locals.
A strong SGD has not translated to lower cost of living. You would think a strong SGD would mean lower price of imported goods. It didn't happen. Why?

The SGD is actually weaker than it should be as the MAS pegs it loosely to the USD.

The PAP government allowed the SGD to surge even higher, there would be lynch mobs cutting of the heads of PAP members.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

it's the usd that has crashed. the sgd has to be manipulated not to blow away the usd. otherwise, the sgd would have been sgd0.70 to usd1, more on par with the euro. consequences for the sg economy would be enormous if the sgd is not properly controlled and left to float freely based on its weight and strength. the mas has to keep the sgd liquid in order to walk the tightrope among export, import, inflation, and stability in a world economy still dominated by the u.s. plus, china is manipulating their rmb to try to keep pace with the fall of the usd. all in all, the mas has done a fabulous job doing the balancing act.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
We need policies that cater to the 80 percent, not the 20 percent. A strong SGD means fart to the working class when it leads to importing 2.5 million foreigners to displace locals.
A strong SGD has not translated to lower cost of living. You would think a strong SGD would mean lower price of imported goods. It didn't happen. Why?

The PAP government allowed the SGD to surge even higher, there would be lynch mobs cutting of the heads of PAP members.

If the SGD was weak, everything would cost more... petrol, transport, electronics, power, gas etc.