• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Have you collected phone books?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Those who still have land lines should have received your notice to pick up the yellow pages & phone books. They are not deliverying these books & instead you have to go to some obscure location to pick them up.

Curious to know how many have picked them up:confused: I'm trying to decide if it is worth the hassle or not :smile:

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those who still have land lines should have received your notice to pick up the yellow pages & phone books. They are not deliverying these books & instead you have to go to some obscure location to pick them up.

Curious to know how many have picked them up:confused: I'm trying to decide if it is worth the hassle or not :smile:

Johnny...this has been way for many years already.
Just curious, what did u do the past years?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The white-pages phonebook is an international telco scam (i.e. not in Singapore only). They blatantly breach basic decent privacy by insisting that all numbers along with names and addresses can be published without your permission, then charge extra you for not publishing yours. It's good that the mobile phone revolution started without this convention of surrending privacy as soon as you signed up.

The double harvest for the telco comes with the yellow-pages phonebook, where businesses are happy with listing of course and lucrative revenues can be generated from many companies willing to pay more for bigger spaces.

All these faded away with the advent of the internet and broadband, but not much loss to the telcos too, since they're still the dominant service providers.

IceLemonT

Alfrescian
Loyal
I use my phone book for metal sheet drilling and hammering, quite stable and muffled most of the noise.

I just collected the new one, time to replace the old worn out phone book liao. :biggrin:

The 1st time I received the notice and I put aside, after a month then discover I just missed the dateline to collect at the nearest CCK cc. Too bad, my mistake, so has to go Bt Batok, not too bad though.

Phone book is one of the useful household items except reading it. And I regret once I kacheng itchy go get CD version, useless shit helicopter in my drive. And I have to tolerate a 2 year old silver fish infested phone book. :mad:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Johnny...this has been way for many years already.
Just curious, what did u do the past years?

In past years they delivered the phone books, so not an issue. This time round you are expected to collect them from selected community centres which don't seem to be in convenient locations :(

The most convenient location for me is the Yellow Pages building in Toa Payoh because I know the location but I still have to take a special trip.

I know it's "free" but am reluctant to make a special trip, so was looking at what others were doing about this. Looking for a reason to go to the ulu part of Toa Payoh:o

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
In past years they delivered the phone books, so not an issue. This time round you are expected to collect them from selected community centres which don't seem to be in convenient locations :(

this is strange...i remember they stopped delivering since many many years ago.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They blatantly breach basic decent privacy by insisting that all numbers along with names and addresses can be published without your permission, then charge extra you for not publishing yours.

All these faded away with the advent of the internet and broadband, but not much loss to the telcos too, since they're still the dominant service providers.

Having a land line is like having an open door: insurrance, banks, ..... companies mine the contact info to get their leads & bother you :mad:
The only reason I still have a land line is for my parents use.

I find it unfair that Singtel is more than happy to sell your contact information but when it comes to providing the phone books they make it inconvenient to do so :mad:

Understand it's a dying business but it's still their business to provide a service from all the $$ they are getting from subscribers & selling your contact info.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Sorry teacher, I should study more. :o

It has nothing to do with studying. The root cause of the problem is the Singlish accent and the way it murders the English language.

Sinkies pronounce "dead" the same way they pronounce "date". Both are pronounced "det".

"Deadline" and "dateline" therefore end up sounding the same.

Here's how it should sound :

Dateline

Deadline

IceLemonT

Alfrescian
Loyal
Having a land line is like having an open door: insurrance, banks, ..... companies mine the contact info to get their leads & bother you :mad:
The only reason I still have a land line is for my parents use.

I find it unfair that Singtel is more than happy to sell your contact information but when it comes to providing the phone books they make it inconvenient to do so :mad:

Understand it's a dying business but it's still their business to provide a service from all the $$ they are getting from subscribers & selling your contact info.

Perhaps you think too much.

I found 2 of my old classmate's contact from the phone book, back to basic, it's still very useful.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I found 2 of my old classmate's contact from the phone book, back to basic, it's still very useful.

Good for you but those calling me are those wanting to sell me things.

There are better ways to re-connect with old classmates, such as the old boys alumni.