• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[GPGT] GOH MENG SENG criticise Chen Show Mao speech + responses from netizens

SibeiKing

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bunch of politicians. All led by the noises agin as usual. throw them a few bones and they start barking ABCs and 123s. Quotes followed by stastics.
Its the heart that hear the cries. Listen to the hearts of the people. Senseless $$$ babble that do not equate to people's mind and heart. good luck.

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Although GMS has been biased in his criticism of WP's proposal, I honestly believe that WP has screwed it up this time.

Maybe they were over eager to seek protection from the British but British's civil service could have its salaries benchmarked against some common income. This additional proposal to link the civil service salaries to the mean or median income would have save the day for WP. Unfortunately, WP had not tune sufficiently into the new media which carried many useful suggestions.

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
Although GMS has been biased in his criticism of WP's proposal, I honestly believe that WP has screwed it up this time.

Maybe they were over eager to seek protection from the British but British's civil service could have its salaries benchmarked against some common income. This additional proposal to link the civil service salaries to the mean or median income would have save the day for WP. Unfortunately, WP had not tune sufficiently into the new media which carried many useful suggestions.

yours and my reply show that we both are not WP insects since we are both disappointed....

will GMS apologise to the the non insects ???

SibeiKing

Alfrescian
Loyal
yours and my reply show that we both are not WP insects since we are both disappointed....

Classic. I'm elite coz i can quote and read thus I am know what is better for you. This is a politician. Vote for him.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The cup is either half full or half empty when you are talking about support. 57% didn't support me but 43% has supported me as well. Of course, not enough to get into parliament but that doesn't mean "rejection".

43% supported/voted for you? Don't assume that. Out of the 43%, a percentage of that would have voted for dogs and cats if the latter formed a GRC to contest. The 43% could also have chosen someone in your team, not necessarily you. Ever wondered if the 57% would be lesser if someone else took your place?

In a capsule, you are not as great as you think you are. Be realistic if you want to improve yourself. You can only command a wide audience if you get in to parliament. Not espouse your this-and-that in SBF.

@rmadill0

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, it doesn't matter if it is pegged to the top 1000 earners or not; the most important thing is that the group which the senior civil servant pay is pegged, do they have SIMILAR characteristic like the group of top 1000 earners? i.e. do their salaries grow as fast as the top 1000 which is very much FASTER than the normal man on the street? That's the crux of the matter.

Goh Meng Seng

The pay of the civil service is pegged but certainly not to the top earners. The entry pay is pegged so that it will be a feasible career option people who just stepped out from school. Say if an Engineer can easily fetch an income of S$3.5k per month if he works with a private company, would he consider joining the civil service if he will be given S$2.5k per month? He might have taken it if he can draw S$3.2k as take it as a form of calling.

This kind of pegging, I feel is fairer. So that's the reason why I supported WP's proposal.

@rmadill0

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't have such information on what happened after debate but I feel that the WP MPs will have to attend debating classes to up their skills.

Gerald Giam's personal failure aside, the whole WP has failed to capitalize on this parliamentary debate. The worst thing is that WP has been painted as "having same idea as PAP", "not so different from PAP" and most important of all, has been cornered totally and it would be totally impossible for them to cry father cry mother about the million dollar pay for ministers again because they themselves have shown to propose similar formula which end up with million dollar pay ministers as well. This is politically disastrous.

Most intriguing is that both LTK and Sylvia Lim have stayed TOTALLY silent and WP MPs have not been giving each other support fire during the debates. This lack of team spirit and team coordination underlie a more worrying signs of WP as an effective opposition in parliament.

In short PAP 1 WP 0

Goh Meng Seng

That is your score and does not necessarily represent the views from the majority of Singaporeans.

WP has never tried to portray herself as one extreme to the PAP and this has so far served them well.

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, only time will tell. The only thing could stay permanently true is constant change. Taking voters' support for granted is the worst attitude which PAP has entrenched themselves. Hope that WP is not that "similar" to PAP in this context as well.

The cup is either half full or half empty when you are talking about support. 57% didn't support me but 43% has supported me as well. Of course, not enough to get into parliament but that doesn't mean "rejection". Never mind, this is not the point. It doesn't wash away the fact that the poor performance of WP team is so much glaring.

Goh Meng Seng

Looking at the ST headline today, they didn’t really whack the WP hard…

If you were watching from the gallery, you will know it look a lot worse than on TV which looks a lot of worse than portray in the papers…

“DPM Teo queries WP's choice of MX9 benchmark ”
“WP and pay committee 'on the same song sheet'”
“WP final figures on ministers' pay: 'Same figures, different principles'”
“Shift in WP stance help debate move forward”

The op-ed from PAP mouth piece, Chua Mui Hoong was “From the gallery: A missed opportunity for bipartisanship”

While she did whack Gerald, she could have done much worse and she also whacks the PAP siao kaus… “But there is a fine line between parliamentary exchanges that are robust but grounded in fact and those that are hostile or unfair. Some eager-beaver PAP MPs' attempts to force assent or concessions from WP MPs in this week's debate bordered on unfriendly.”

I think the Govt stance is that as long as you dun whack us hard, we will try to go easy on you….

While I reiterate that WP performance look really bad live and it is disappointing for most HARCORE OPP supporters….

But the long damage in the eyes of the neutrals and swing voters may be overblown… The newspaper has tried to portray them as no different from PAP and Teo have praise them “Shift in WP stance help debate move forward”…

These are actually good from the point of WP because voters do not want the WP to be too different…..It is goot for WP to be PAP lite…. That is how they can get that extra 5% for East Coast to Fall….

The lunatic siao kaus fringes here who are dreaming of good old days of JBJ confrontational style or even Low Cheeky style are obsolete… and not representative of the SInkie population

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

I don't think there is a need to state our disappointment with WP to prove that we aren't insects. After all, the only indication of an insect by at least a few is the honourable one himself who called others insect, hence we are vindicated.

I do agree that WP didn't seem to perform as well as the last couple of sittings. Will have to see what they do during Budget Debate.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
If that is the intention of the PAP, they are sadly mistaken. It might have been the WP party line as it is a sensitive matter but people like Yee, GG, PS and even Sylvia are not the type of people to repeat the same mistake. It will be a lesson well learnt. Credit to Yee for holding the fort. He is a turning out to be a real gem. I won't be surprised if CSM and Sylvia leads a post mortem on this. Denise Phua is becoming a regular Dr Dixie Tan who fought behind the scenes to prevent the railroading of JBJ. The biggest disppointment was BG Tan who was playing games and bringing in his religion.
Looking at the ST headline today, they didn’t really whack the WP hard…I think the Govt stance is that as long as you dun whack us hard, we will try to go easy on you….The lunatic siao kaus fringes here who are dreaming of good old days of JBJ confrontational style or even Low Cheeky style are obsolete… and not representative of the SInkie population

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The cup is either half full or half empty when you are talking about support. 57% didn't support me but 43% has supported me as well. Of course, not enough to get into parliament but that doesn't mean "rejection". Never mind, this is not the point. It doesn't wash away the fact that the poor performance of WP team is so much glaring.

Goh Meng Seng

43% or even 49.99999% still lose aka reject.

i admit myself WP may have drop the ball as i tot the wage still consider high. but i myself dont believe in giving ministars low pay like what PRC or India pay their cabinets. How can ppl (here and all over the world) can accept a group of ugly men earning S$50-200k a WEEK for kicking a ball yet kpkb when a PM make S$90k a month? but one thing u must remember, what u & i think are not important, it what the majority think that important. i done a straw poll with ppl i know, most dun care how much the ministers are getting as long there a roof over their heads and what they needs & wants are easily available. what they now not happy is pay so much still have so many problems. Once pap can find a solutions to the problems, all will be fine again.

wMulew

Alfrescian
Loyal
43% supported/voted for you? Don't assume that. Out of the 43%, a percentage of that would have voted for dogs and cats if the latter formed a GRC to contest. The 43% could also have chosen someone in your team, not necessarily you. Ever wondered if the 57% would be lesser if someone else took your place?

In a capsule, you are not as great as you think you are. Be realistic if you want to improve yourself. You can only command a wide audience if you get in to parliament. Not espouse your this-and-that in SBF.

Going by that logic

We know from the last PE base on TJS votes, there will always be 25% on the opposition side.

43% - 25% = 18%

Then we also need to see across the board there is a 6% swing in the last GE

18% - 6% = 12%

Also we need to remember he is up against MBT, the most hated guy in the last GE. Must discount at least 5-10%. Give him face I use 5%

12% - 5% = 7%

GMS actual appeal = 7% of voters

jixiaolan

Alfrescian
Loyal
WP wage proposal is somewhat naive. It is as good as saying lowest ranking money get 1 peanut, middle ranking monkey get 5 peanuts and the highest ranking one get 9.

jw5

Loyal
I am now just a "political observer". Relax lah!

Goh Meng Seng

And u will remain one in 2016, together with the rest of us ah peks in SBF. If u are lucky, mediacorp will ask u to join superanalyst Gillian, NMP Eugene, Melissa and Sharon in their studio to analyse the results.

If u are still thinking of being an oposition politician, I wonder which segment of the voting population u are targetting.
The "I will vote opposition even if the candidate is a housefly" segment?
Nobody likes an opposition turncoat. Even the likes of CSJ, JBJ, even Ling HD don't badmouth the other opposition members in a public domain, let alone CST or LTK. And we are talking here about elected opposition members who are supposedly trying their best to speak up for the ordinary Singaporean.

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Most of us are here to lin kopi and whack the papies.
To me an opposition is an opposition.
It doesn't matter whether he is good, bad or ugly as long as he is against PAP.
Don't get too emotional and forget about the kopi.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Good one Bro GD... Many Tampines residents voted for GMS NSP team not because they love NSP and GMS but they got no other alternative Opposition party to vote for except NSP who were the only Oppo fighting Mabok Tan's PAP there.. Ask them who GMS is and they would give you a blank look.. I'm a Tampines resident who voted for NSP last May, and I had to urge some of my neighbourhood kakis to vote for NSP who are largely an unknown party there.. Where were NSP all these years before the 2011 GE..??? :confused: They were hardly around in Tampines and only made their presence felt few months before the 2011 GE.. Like that how to win against the PAP who have solid strong support base in Tampines for decades... GMS should face the fact.. With sentiments running high against MBT and the PAP, any Oppo could have gained at least 40 % of the votes in Tampines.. I'm not going to hantam GMS here.. He gave a good fight against the PAP but his best is just not good enough to kick MBT out of Tampines.. He could have done better though since MBT's balls were there for the plucking last May.. Anyway my best wishes to GMS for his future plans..:smile:

Last edited:

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
. Anyway my best wishes to GMS for his future plans..:smile:

I had known GMS as the obstinate ox by the way he writes in forums.To paraphrase we know GMS for what he says but do we know the rest for what they don't say?

Come on,let's be fair.The worst in politics do not reveal their ulterior motives.Now,I speculate WP as a wayang party.We will never know since their mouths are sealed; since they only appear during election times.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I guess you would have to use the same standards to examine other parties as well, especially WP. Where were they in MK before GE2011?

Well, if you want to compare candidates, some of the WP MPs only appear very shortly before GE as well. Most of the time, submarine. All parties face the same problems because none of us, except for the elected MPs, could be full time on the ground. Some high flyers like CSM has to be stationed overseas.

As I have said, if you don't see us in Tampines, it doesn't mean we were not there... well unless we could just stand outside your door 24 hrs a day. I guess you are just arguing for the sake of argument.

Goh Meng Seng

Where were NSP all these years before the 2011 GE..??? :confused: They were hardly around in Tampines and only made their presence felt few months before the 2011 GE.. Like that how to win against the PAP who have solid strong support base in Tampines for decades... GMS should face the fact.. With sentiments running high against MBT and the PAP, any Oppo could have gained at least 40 % of the votes in Tampines.. I'm not going to hantam GMS here.. He gave a good fight against the PAP but his best is just not good enough to kick MBT out of Tampines.. He could have done better though since MBT's balls were there for the plucking last May.. Anyway my best wishes to GMS for his future plans..:smile: