• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[GPGT] GOH MENG SENG criticise Chen Show Mao speech + responses from netizens

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore can be a company with its citizens as shareholders. The board of directors does what is best for the shareholders even if some shareholders have to be left out.

Firstly, a country is not like a company. So a government is not like a board of management. The production operator is also not like a citizen. A company is in it for profits. A country has many more externalities and stakeholders.

Production operators do not vote for the CEO. If so, then there is some analogy.

jw5

Loyal
Singapore can be a company with its citizens as shareholders. The board of directors does what is best for the shareholders even if some shareholders have to be left out.

In the pap model of governance, the citizens are regarded as employees.
It wouldn't be a problem if the citizens were regarded as shareholders and the ministars as directors and shareholders.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
It wouldn't be a problem if the citizens were regarded as shareholders and the ministars as directors and shareholders.

Speak for yourself. PAP is doing great for my Singapore Inc.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Citizens are not regarded as employees as they are not paid a salary by the government.

They are, in fact, regarded as shareholders and the PAP is doing an excellent job of increasing the value of the equity that Singaporeans hold in Singapore Inc.

When I bought my first Singapore Inc shares, I purchased about $45,000 dollars worth of equity. This was in 1980.

When I cashed out of Singapore Inc in 1994, my shares were worth a whopping $2.5 MILLION plus another 20% gain thanks to favourable exchange rates brought about by sound management of the Sing dollar.

For this, I am forever grateful to LKY. He's one of the best CEOs I've ever known. The only CEO who gave me a better ROI was Steve Jobs bless his soul.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Going by that logic

We know from the last PE base on TJS votes, there will always be 25% on the opposition side.

43% - 25% = 18%

Then we also need to see across the board there is a 6% swing in the last GE

18% - 6% = 12%

Also we need to remember he is up against MBT, the most hated guy in the last GE. Must discount at least 5-10%. Give him face I use 5%

12% - 5% = 7%

GMS actual appeal = 7% of voters

If you spot a zombie from behind, could be GMS. I bet he wasn't able to sleep after reading what you wrote - balu 7% supported him. Reality is always hard to accept coz the truth usually hurts.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wMulew said:
Going by that logic

We know from the last PE base on TJS votes, there will always be 25% on the opposition side.

43% - 25% = 18%

Then we also need to see across the board there is a 6% swing in the last GE

18% - 6% = 12%

Also we need to remember he is up against MBT, the most hated guy in the last GE. Must discount at least 5-10%. Give him face I use 5%

12% - 5% = 7%

GMS actual appeal = 7% of voters

You have forgotten that this is a GRC (is it 4-men or 5?), the 7 % should be divided by the number of members.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
More relevant is what is PAP's performance after that, in particularly, in the last 10 to 15 years.

他们生活的世界和我们的世界虽有差异, 对我们大家将来的世界, 他们为大家种植树苗了吗? 他们试行了应有的职责了吗? :confused::confused::confused:

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
If that is the intention of the PAP, they are sadly mistaken. It might have been the WP party line as it is a sensitive matter but people like Yee, GG, PS and even Sylvia are not the type of people to repeat the same mistake. It will be a lesson well learnt. Credit to Yee for holding the fort. He is a turning out to be a real gem. I won't be surprised if CSM and Sylvia leads a post mortem on this. Denise Phua is becoming a regular Dr Dixie Tan who fought behind the scenes to prevent the railroading of JBJ. The biggest disppointment was BG Tan who was playing games and bringing in his religion.

I said it before, JJ is the political find of the year.... more so than CSM or Nicole.....

one must learn to see past the media circle

JJ has always been interested in all these issues and they have been on his mind for the longest time.... he is one of those submarine that GMS mention, once he appear he will sink you ...

GG is too honest.... on his own blog ... this is his self description.... he join not because of some great grievance like JBJ and LOw.... he join out of idealism like Sylvia, and CST hence he wun be too far off the mark from them

"I wasn’t always an opposition supporter. I have no history of oppositionists in my family and most of my friends and teachers from school days knew me as someone who always followed the rules and did not question authority. Many, therefore, have expressed surprise that I have taken the plunge into opposition politics."

already in his president speech, we can see that WP has assigned him the role of siao kau, he was the harshest in his criticism....

maybe they wan to give him the exposure./.. but there are otherway to do this.....

they should not give him the role of siao kau.... any1 who know Gerald can see that he is honest guy who is thoughful.... and he can be hesitant to draw conslusion ...

pritam is more suitable... but pritam has a history of saying the wrong things ....

It might be better to assign it to Faisal

JJ need to continue to do what he do best ... he is ministerial material.... more than any1 , I think he is more suitable to take over the leadership from Low... more so than Yaw or Gerald....

Denise Phua is a lobbyists... she is in PAP to so social work... she doesnt care about appt 1

I guess you would have to use the same standards to examine other parties as well, especially WP. Where were they in MK before GE2011?

Well, if you want to compare candidates, some of the WP MPs only appear very shortly before GE as well. Most of the time, submarine. All parties face the same problems because none of us, except for the elected MPs, could be full time on the ground. Some high flyers like CSM has to be stationed overseas.

As I have said, if you don't see us in Tampines, it doesn't mean we were not there... well unless we could just stand outside your door 24 hrs a day. I guess you are just arguing for the sake of argument.

Goh Meng Seng

JJ is the silent submarine.... no1 give him any attention even during GE but when he appear... he will sink you

Last edited:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's really bullshit!

The public sector is the biggest employer, and those who worked in the civil service and stat boards are all employees of those units. The rest are not shareholders.

Companies dont collect taxes. Shareholders get to elect who they want as Directors. Singaporeans never got to vote who for the various appointments.

This Singapore Inc. BS is just a spin to justify the PAP in ripping off the citizens.

Citizens are not regarded as employees as they are not paid a salary by the government.

They are, in fact, regarded as shareholders and the PAP is doing an excellent job of increasing the value of the equity that Singaporeans hold in Singapore Inc.

When I bought my first Singapore Inc shares, I purchased about $45,000 dollars worth of equity. This was in 1980.

When I cashed out of Singapore Inc in 1994, my shares were worth a whopping $2.5 MILLION plus another 20% gain thanks to favourable exchange rates brought about by sound management of the Sing dollar.

For this, I am forever grateful to LKY. He's one of the best CEOs I've ever known. The only CEO who gave me a better ROI was Steve Jobs bless his soul.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hilarious. As if people used the same standards when a certain party went to 3 corner fights with weaker parties and buzzed off like a complaining insect when coming to stronger ones. Until now no one knows what the chap's principle (and I mean real practised principle) on 3 corner is.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
JJ need to continue to do what he do best ... he is ministerial material.... more than any1 , I think he is more suitable to take over the leadership from Low... more so than Yaw or Gerald....

Denise Phua is a lobbyists... she is in PAP to so social work... she doesnt care about appt 1

JJ is the silent submarine.... no1 give him any attention even during GE but when he appear... he will sink you

I will have to agree with you here. JJ is the most impressive WP MP so far, in spite of the hype about CSM. He has drawn his blows in a firm and concise way. However, I have not yet watch how he gets into debate engagement, apart from his speeches.

Pritam is good but he has the tendency of beating round the bush for too long that sometimes he missed the target but hit his own foot. He has to learn to be concise and precise like JJ.

GG may have screwed up this time round but at the very least, he has the courage to take on the fight, even alone on his own without support fire from his colleagues. With proper guidance and grooming, he will become the most vocal and effective WP MP in town.

CSM made good rhetoric speeches but when it comes to debate on specifics, the lack of confidence is showing. Too much polite decorum will slowly take toll on his effectiveness during the debate. Some have observed that nervousness and unsteadiness during the first Presidential address when there were cross fire. But the points in his speech has taken center stage and covers up such deficiency.

The best way of not making mistakes is not to try in engaging the debates. But that will also be the best way not to improve yourself.

Goh Meng Seng

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's really bullshit!

The public sector is the biggest employer, and those who worked in the civil service and stat boards are all employees of those units. The rest are not shareholders.

Companies dont collect taxes. Shareholders get to elect who they want as Directors. Singaporeans never got to vote who for the various appointments.

This Singapore Inc. BS is just a spin to justify the PAP in ripping off the citizens.

it's a mix of public sector employees and shareholders. public employees who own assets in sg inc. are also shareholders. sinkie losers are those who do not exploit the wonderful roi opportunities that the sg gov has laid out for all. ask any hdb owner who bought into the asset enhancement scheme a long time ago. no complains from them as they achieve an roi that is the envy of the world. for public housing to appreciate in step with the private sector, and allowing many sinkies to become millionaires, no other country comes close.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
for public housing to appreciate in step with the private sector, and allowing many sinkies to become millionaires, no other country comes close.

can already imagine many millionaires with the TOTO draw which happens twice weekly, 104 times a year... wish all Sammy bros 發啊!!!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good summary. Yee indeed was the surprise.
I will have to agree with you here. JJ is the most impressive WP MP so far, in spite of the hype about CSM. He has drawn his blows in a firm and concise way. However, I have not yet watch how he gets into debate engagement, apart from his speeches. Pritam is good but he has the tendency of beating round the bush for too long that sometimes he missed the target but hit his own foot. He has to learn to be concise and precise like JJ.GG may have screwed up this time round but at the very least, he has the courage to take on the fight, even alone on his own without support fire from his colleagues. With proper guidance and grooming, he will become the most vocal and effective WP MP in town. CSM made good rhetoric speeches but when it comes to debate on specifics, the lack of confidence is showing. Too much polite decorum will slowly take toll on his effectiveness during the debate. Some have observed that nervousness and unsteadiness during the first Presidential address when there were cross fire. But the points in his speech has taken center stage and covers up such deficiency. The best way of not making mistakes is not to try in engaging the debates. But that will also be the best way not to improve yourself.Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another good summary. Pritam will learn to identify the various scenarios such as campaigning, parliament, forums etc eventually. He is got to be careful.Denise Phua always had her own agenda and the PAP is not always in it.
I said it before, JJ is the political find of the year.... more so than CSM or Nicole.....one must learn to see past the media circleJJ has always been interested in all these issues and they have been on his mind for the longest time.... he is one of those submarine that GMS mention, once he appear he will sink you ...GG is too honest.... on his own blog ... this is his self description.... he join not because of some great grievance like JBJ and LOw.... he join out of idealism like Sylvia, and CST hence he wun be too far off the mark from them"I wasn’t always an opposition supporter. I have no history of oppositionists in my family and most of my friends and teachers from school days knew me as someone who always followed the rules and did not question authority. Many, therefore, have expressed surprise that I have taken the plunge into opposition politics."already in his president speech, we can see that WP has assigned him the role of siao kau, he was the harshest in his criticism....maybe they wan to give him the exposure./.. but there are otherway to do this.....they should not give him the role of siao kau.... any1 who know Gerald can see that he is honest guy who is thoughful.... and he can be hesitant to draw conslusion ... pritam is more suitable... but pritam has a history of saying the wrong things ....It might be better to assign it to FaisalJJ need to continue to do what he do best ... he is ministerial material.... more than any1 , I think he is more suitable to take over the leadership from Low... more so than Yaw or Gerald....Denise Phua is a lobbyists... she is in PAP to so social work... she doesnt care about appt 1JJ is the silent submarine.... no1 give him any attention even during GE but when he appear... he will sink you

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting analogy Sam. I have no doubt that it will make a good company and they have intentionally run along these lines. But when Singapore Inc starts diluting the shares by offerings rights to FTs, the shareholders are not happy. It also appears that FTs are given preferential shares and not ordinary shares. The other issues are accountability, transparency, remit and remuneration of directors and sr management. The 5 years GMs (AGM) is getting more disorderly and a lot of angst is displayed both sides. ROI has always been excellent, it just the distribution of profits and the long term viability are a continous issue.
Citizens are not regarded as employees as they are not paid a salary by the government.They are, in fact, regarded as shareholders and the PAP is doing an excellent job of increasing the value of the equity that Singaporeans hold in Singapore Inc.When I bought my first Singapore Inc shares, I purchased about $45,000 dollars worth of equity. This was in 1980. When I cashed out of Singapore Inc in 1994, my shares were worth a whopping $2.5 MILLION plus another 20% gain thanks to favourable exchange rates brought about by sound management of the Sing dollar.For this, I am forever grateful to LKY. He's one of the best CEOs I've ever known. The only CEO who gave me a better ROI was Steve Jobs bless his soul.

Last edited:

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal

But you forgot about the young ones who are buying the Singapore Inc shares at today's price. Will it grow 60 times in another 20 years? Maybe it could, but this is a completely different era, and judging by the kind of porlampar they recruit, i am worried those who buy $2.5m worth of Singapore Inc shares might find their investments drop to $45k in 10 years time. And that is why PAP must not be allowed to pursue its disastrous groupthink. The symptons are already all over the place.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Moe Leong Sum Still Living In His 50s and 60s

There were street lamps outside my home. There was black and white TV at the community centre. However, there was no electricity in my home.

If LKY had not acquired their lands, the disparity would have grown even wider.

Are you sure you talking about the same man with the same heart ? Moe, you are still living in the 50s and 60s while your body ages through space and time. You belongs to the dangerous type "old folks" or old voters that keep voting for an expired can of abalone. Yes, abalone could have been tasty and mouth watering in the 70s but not today. Moe, you are old. People like you are going to sabo more people here in Sinkingland.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But you forgot about the young ones who are buying the Singapore Inc shares at today's price. Will it grow 60 times in another 20 years? Maybe it could, but this is a completely different era, and judging by the kind of porlampar they recruit, i am worried those who buy $2.5m worth of Singapore Inc shares might find their investments drop to $45k in 10 years time. And that is why PAP must not be allowed to pursue its disastrous groupthink. The symptons are already all over the place.

the best years to invest in sg were in the 70s thru' 90s. those who invested wisely and timely are reaping rewards. those who were clueless are losers today, and they kpkb here cursing and swearing at the regime for unfairness. for the new generation and young, well too bad if they are not smart, innovative, entrepreneurial enough or thinking outside the box. they can't be sitting around and hoping to get gold coins on a platter, just because their parents struck the gold mine. time does not wait and life's a bitch. what do you suggest? that the regime invokes the time machine and let these young losers go back in time? or sacrifice what their parents have earned all their lives plus asset enhancement just to allow a spoilt generation to buy into shares priced 20 to 30 years ago? might as well go back to the stone age so everyone can tee off from caves.