• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Good Morning ~ Is it so hard to say when the lift door opens?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Once upon a time when I was a mere cog in the well oiled corporate machinery, I used to greet all my bosses and their bosses. Now, there is no need to. Simple as that. :o

You're looking for job now?

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have never expected a simple thread on greeting "Good Morning" can trigger so many mixed reactions.

Leaving the hoodlums' drivel aside, let me try my best to respond to the sensible members who have voiced their views.

Sinkies were more polite decades ago, including greeting each other when they pass. As time passes, and more people moved into HDB flats with smaller families. When I stayed in HDB years ago, I noticed that most people don't know their neighbours, let alone greet them. They all want to be left alone. It's a growing local trend.

you are right for once. most people don't know their neighbours and don't want to know them either.

Good afternoon John and Side. Hope you have had your Sunday lunch or brunch.

I don't think it is about knowing your neighbours. It is a simple greeting, and no more than that. As I said earlier to Choot, there is a line to be drawn. i do not communicate with my neighbours nor colleagues who I met in the lift for idle gossips as I cherish my privacy. I am happy to stick to a morning greeting 打招呼, no more no less.

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good morning Claire. Singaporeans do not mean to be rude, we are just slaves to social habit formed through decades of laziness. I agree that a greeting is a good thing as it lifts the mood and makes people feel at ease. Everyone should practice good greeting habits. From now on, I have decided to greet forummers too one my first couple of postings for that day. Have a great day, Claire!

A very good afternoon to you Sarah. Thank you for sharing the same view. Civility has to be infused into our Singaporean society. That's my humble wish for Singapore in 2016 and also this Forum.

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once upon a time when I was a mere cog in the well oiled corporate machinery, I used to greet all my bosses and their bosses. Now, there is no need to. Simple as that. :o

Afternoon Mo.

You should have greeted all levels irrespective of their ranking in the organisation if you are sincere instead of pretending to be so.

The first thing I step into office everyday is to greet my secretary, not bosses. They deserve the greeting more than the higher ranking ones.

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
localised behaviour restricted to hdb slums

A big hello to you Song!

I am not sure if I have had the opportunity to reply to you before, but I do now.:smile:

I do not believe it is just HDB. In any event, I wouldn't know as I have never stayed in one.

Whether HDB or private, my view is that Asians in general tend to be "stingy" with such morning greetings.

A simple morning greeting can brighten someone's morning. That's my humble view, irrirrespective of what type of property one stays in, social classes or religion, race or country of origin.

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Diff culture and race got diff way of greeting...

for Ang Moh, facing gloomy weather day in day out so they cheer up by saying Good Morning
Chinese thru history of hardship and starvation they greet each other by " you eaten oreddy?"
for Thai pleple the greeting would be "Eh! Where you going?" from the past nomadic way from the southern China down to present days location

Isabella

Alfrescian
Loyal
just say 'put on my tights and running top, running shoes, and went for a run' doesnt need to include brands

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Good day Isabella and Over

Is there anything wrong with putting brands? These are mass market brands and not some expensive stuff.

You did not spot the humour in my reply.

(posted from my Samsung tablet whilst sitting in the backseat of my friend's Lexus)

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
You did not spot the humour in my reply.

(posted from my Samsung tablet whilst sitting in the backseat of my friend's Lexus)

Oh dear Over, you caught me there.

I had assumed you posted from a Samsung tablet, which is pretty normal for emails to carry those signatures. If I am not wrong, Blackberry started that trend and it soon catches on as a practice with even email service providers.

Had it been, say "posted from my Vertu mobile", it would have certainly caught my eye:smile:

Samsung is a mass market brand, just like Nike and Asics. :smile: