• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Former director of Nightingale Nursing Home convicted

Zieler

Alfrescian
Loyal

By Claire Huang | Posted: 03 September 2012 1131 hrs

display_image.php

Photos 1 of 1

Grab of video taken in Nightingale Nursing Home shows two staff members lifting an elderly patient.

SINGAPORE: The director of the nursing home that was accused of mistreating an elderly female resident in 2011 has been convicted.

Former director of Nightingale Nursing Home Tan Choo Woah on Monday admitted to the failure to provide optimal quality care to the patient.

The highest penalty for this is a fine of up to S$20,000 or jail of up to two years, or both.

Tan also admitted to various charges of illegal deployment and false declaration to the Ministry of Manpower, among other things.

Tan also represented Greenview Nursing Home as well as Civic Ambulance Services and was convicted of similar manpower-related charges.

The Nightingale Nursing Home scandal was sparked by a video secretly filmed by the son of the elderly patient who was abused.

The patient was seen being flung onto a bed and slapped by staff of the nursing home.

- CNA/wm

Mukai

Alfrescian
Loyal

Monday, Sep 03, 2012
YourHealth, AsiaOne

st_tannight.jpg

SINGAPORE: The former director of Nightingale Nursing Home pleaded guilty today to various charges, including the failure to provide quality care for the elderly patient that was mistreated.

In 2010, an elderly female resident was mistreated by nursing aides. Madam Peh Siew Lay was flung onto her bed by Nightingale staff, and was slapped on her mouth when she groaned. This was filmed by a secret camera installed by her son.

Nightingale's director Tan Choo Waoh was in court and also represented her company, Greenview Nursing Home and Civic Ambulance Services, reported The Straits Times.

In April, the home was slapped with 31 manpower-related charges. Nightingale and Greenview Nursing Home had illegally deployed foreign nursing staff as manpower for football games.

Civic Ambulance Services had falsely declared higher wages in employment contracts than what it was actually paying staff.

Tan also admitted to charges that she failed to pay workers for overtime work in 2010.

Sentencing for the four parties was adjourned to Sept 18.

[email protected]

Mukai

Alfrescian
Loyal

pic1_117.jpg

Nightingale Nursing Home has been ordered to stop accepting new patients after a video of staff members abusing residents were discovered.

pic2_126.jpg

The video was recorded by a resident's relative using a secret camera.

Mukai

Alfrescian
Loyal

pic3_123.jpg

An old woman was seen sitting bare-bodied under a whirring fan.

pic4_124.jpg

She was said to have been in that state for 30 minutes.

Mukai

Alfrescian
Loyal

pic5_119.jpg

Two staff members pick her up by her arms and feet.

pic6_113.jpg

They then fling her onto the bed.

Mukai

Alfrescian
Loyal

pic7_108.jpg

The woman patient lets out a groan after landing on the bed.

pic8_100.jpg

One of the staff members then hit her on the mouth.

Mukai

Alfrescian
Loyal

pic9_87.jpg

A spokeperson for Nightingale Group said this was an isolated incident and that those responsible would be punished.

pic10_87.jpg

He said additional measures have been put in place to get management and senior staff to check on workers regularly.

Mukai

Alfrescian
Loyal

pic11_82.jpg

Netizens who watched the video on YouTube were outraged at the treatment of the woman. They criticised the home.

pic12_82.jpg

MOH said in a statement that it will closely monitor the nursing home to ensure the supervisory measures are implemented

iluvu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Received an email from a subscriber, that reads like this:

"When it happened, I was shocked and so I phoned Nightingale to demand the centre to post the photos and names of the 2 staff on its notice board and requested to speak to the bayi, but the receptionist played tai-chi with me and just said "Thank you for your feedback" and another phone-call made by my agency staff, the receptionist, which I was told speaks like a pinoy male, gave the mobile of the bayi-in-charge and the bayi is the manager. Did a check and found that there're two bayis, and the senior bayi is the overall in charge."

Not sure how this fat shit woman becomes the one to be charged. Should be the senior bayi, but again, the mastermind gets away scot-free.

chowka

Alfrescian
Loyal
Received an email from a subscriber, that reads like this:

"When it happened, I was shocked and so I phoned Nightingale to demand the centre to post the photos and names of the 2 staff on its notice board and requested to speak to the bayi, but the receptionist played tai-chi with me and just said "Thank you for your feedback" and another phone-call made by my agency staff, the receptionist, which I was told speaks like a pinoy male, gave the mobile of the bayi-in-charge and the bayi is the manager. Did a check and found that there're two bayis, and the senior bayi is the overall in charge."

Not sure how this fat shit woman becomes the one to be charged. Should be the senior bayi, but again, the mastermind gets away scot-free.

Thank u for your contribution. Rare but nice to see u here. :biggrin:

DroppingHeehaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am glad that they are taking actions into this. So what happened to the victims? Are they still staying at there or have since been transferred to another nursing home?

Ultŕaman

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nightingale Nursing Home fined $15k for abusing elderly patient

nightingaleabuse.jpg

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012
YourHealth, AsiaOne

SINGAPORE - In the first case of its kind, the nursing home accused of mistreating an elderly patient has been fined $15,000 for failing to ensure an approved level of care in its nursing practices.

The case first came to light when Madam Peh Siew Lay's son installed a camera-clock beside her bed, which subsequently recorded her being tossed onto the bed by two of Nightingale Nursing Home's staff and another slapping her on the mouth.

The nursing home was fined another $11,000 for illegally deploying their foreign worker nursing aides as food and drink sellers, cheerleaders and security personnel at Toa Payoh Stadium during football games.

Its sister organisation, Greenview Nursing Home under the Nightingale Group, was also fined $6,500 on similar charges of illegal deployment.

In addition, Civic Ambulance Services, also under the Nightingale Group, was fined $20,000 for falsely declaring the salaries of its foreign staff.

Nightingale's director Tan Choo Waoh, 64, was fined $12,000 for requiring workers to work more than the statutory eight hours per day when signing their employment contracts and for not paying them for overtime work in June 2010.

District Judge Hamidah Ibrahim said the heavy sentence was to send a message to nursing home operators that the law has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to the inappropriate treatment of elderly patients.

[email protected]