• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Foreign HR manager asks interview candidate "What is SAF"?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
When U left, the SGD was much weaker. It cost me SGD 1 to buy 62 cents Canadian.
The last time I went to Singapore, it was about 92 cents Canadian to SGD 1
When I left in 2010 actually CAD$ was very strong. SGD 1 to buy 71-76 cents Canadian.
It has since dropped to SGD 1 to 90 cents Canadian.

Anyway point is, such a tiny island city state the currency is almost on par with the 2nd largest country in the world by land mass. All the mountains, the rocks, the gold, the oil, the lumber, the water, the uranium, the iron, the coal, the helium, the potash.........and still the currency is on par with small tiny city state Singapore.

Singapore is amazing when it comes to money.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seriously Singapore so short of HR managers need to hire foreigners?

Really?
As a proud NSman who had served and defended his country, it was hurtful for him to be asked 'What is SAF?'."
KNN usuallee when a company hires a sinkie to cater for the lumber of foreigners they can hire will front a sinkie hr manager to hide the evil scheme KNN but the interviewers are mostlee the actual leepartment mgt people who are foreigners KNN for my uncle would instead feel ashame to voluntarilee leeclare as a ex ns man and letting a foreigner interview him KNN

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
KNN usuallee when a company hires a sinkie to cater for the lumber of foreigners they can hire will front a sinkie hr manager to hide the evil scheme KNN but the interviewers are mostlee the actual leepartment mgt people who are foreigners KNN for my uncle would instead feel ashame to voluntarilee leeclare as a ex ns man and letting a foreigner interview him KNN

Actually problem will get worse lah.

There is no turning back liao.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually problem will get worse lah.

There is no turning back liao.
My uncle Don't care lor soon he wil leetire KNN but there is onllee 1 thing good about this kind of arrangement to be interviewed by foreigner mgt is that when comes to celery negotiation they will tend to align closer to their range taking into account rental etc so eg when my uncle is offered $3k for the job by hr they will say KNN how to live with 3k after paying for rental KNN probabllee they think my uncle need to spend 2k for housing like them KNN

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
My uncle Don't care lor soon he wil leetire KNN but there is onllee 1 thing good about this kind of arrangement to be interviewed by foreigner mgt is that when comes to celery negotiation they will tend to align closer to their range taking into account rental etc so eg when my uncle is offered $3k for the job by hr they will say KNN how to live with 3k after paying for rental KNN probabllee they think my uncle need to spend 2k for housing like them KNN

When it comes to job application it will ALWAYS be about contacts and relationships, recommendations.

Best to know someone of influence in a company. Be hired from "almost within".

The problem is that everyone will tell the world the we are "IMPARTIAL". "MERITOCRACY". "BEST CANDIDATE GETS THE JOB".

All this is bullshit lies lah.

But people will believe lah. And you must say like that cos otherwise people get angry.

The reality is not. It is the friends get hired. The daughter of the boss's friend gets hired. This is the truth.

So if you want to get ahead you gotta play that game one.

I hope my kids starting to learn this too early on in their lives. Even in our bubble tea shop. Who gets hired? It is the friend's of our kids. We give them more chance to try on the job. Only if cannot make it then they will be told to go. And so far they all working for us. Meanwhile the unknown guy nobody knows....if he cannot get along with the other staff....even if his work is so so.....he will be first to go if he makes a mistake.

Life is like that.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
When it comes to job application it will ALWAYS be about contacts and relationships, recommendations.

Best to know someone of influence in a company. Be hired from "almost within".

The problem is that everyone will tell the world the we are "IMPARTIAL". "MERITOCRACY". "BEST CANDIDATE GETS THE JOB".

All this is bullshit lies lah.

But people will believe lah. And you must say like that cos otherwise people get angry.

The reality is not. It is the friends get hired. The daughter of the boss's friend gets hired. This is the truth.

So if you want to get ahead you gotta play that game one.

I hope my kids starting to learn this too early on in their lives. Even in our bubble tea shop. Who gets hired? It is the friend's of our kids. We give them more chance to try on the job. Only if cannot make it then they will be told to go. And so far they all working for us. Meanwhile the unknown guy nobody knows....if he cannot get along with the other staff....even if his work is so so.....he will be first to go if he makes a mistake.

Life is like that.
Exactlee KNN especiallee those high income earners can get leefered easilee to another company to get even higher pay KNN if they apply as a fresh candidate wait long long KNN

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Same with promotion. Same with how other colleagues view you.

Of course must do your work. Lah. Be helpful etc.

But things like buying coffee once a week for whole office. Donuts. Xmas Starbucks gift cards for everyone.

This type of thing works lah. Nobody will say no one. Nobody will dislike it.

And be personal. Write a card say thank you for your hard work. Really enjoy working with you. Appreciate the help you have given me this year. Here's is a small token. Hope you can enjoy a cup of coffee with your family. Have a good Xmas and New Year.

All these things.....MUST DO one......

Be sincere lah. Those bozo really useless workers if they have some connection you also got to find some reason to thank them too cos they gonna be the managers.

DO NOT FALL FOR THE TRAP of saying "wah lau that type is CHEATING".

You want to win or not in life?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Exactlee KNN especiallee those high income earners can get leefered easilee to another company to get even higher pay KNN if they apply as a fresh candidate wait long long KNN

My sister got her head start because my father was friends with the father of the CEO of the company. So she got hired and then started from there.

We all need breaks lah.

People who say this type of thing is not right and bad and what not......well sorry man you live in the same world as all of us.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
@sweetiepie actually I think back very sad lor......

Cos that time I was doing well playing this game in Canada. The company really liked me. The bosses liked me. I got promoted to manager within 6 months and after 1 year became full project manager for the biggest account for the company..... I was a happy person. Full of life. Think positive. Everything is can do. even need rush approval for government permit I say let me try no guarantee but I will talk to my contacts in the govt see how. Voila! Permit next day. Client say You DA BEST! All happy.

Then.....

Go to medicine.

This cannot. That cannot. Follow this guidelines. Follow my practice. Don't do that. Dont say that. Say this. Say that. Sad sad. Cancer means cancer. No more can do liao. Not positive. All negative. Scared. Scared complaint from patient. Scared College audit say why you do like that? Scared. Fear.

Sigh.

I think I missed an opportunity to be something else in administrative world. Managing people as a happy individual. Not just chicken hearted scared and fearful doctor who follows the guidelines and recommendations or else get licence terminated or suspended. Sianz.....

Important in life is to have good mindset be happy think of good side of things, encourage and be optimistic, can do not cannot do......

Everything that medicine basically DRAINS SUCKS AND KILLS!

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
@sweetiepie actually I think back very sad lor......

Cos that time I was doing well playing this game in Canada. The company really liked me. The bosses liked me. I got promoted to manager within 6 months and after 1 year became full project manager for the biggest account for the company..... I was a happy person. Full of life. Think positive. Everything is can do. even need rush approval for government permit I say let me try no guarantee but I will talk to my contacts in the govt see how. Voila! Permit next day. Client say You DA BEST! All happy.

Then.....

Go to medicine.

This cannot. That cannot. Follow this guidelines. Follow my practice. Don't do that. Dont say that. Say this. Say that. Sad sad. Cancer means cancer. No more can do liao. Not positive. All negative. Scared. Scared complaint from patient. Scared College audit say why you do like that? Scared. Fear.

Sigh.

I think I missed an opportunity to be something else in administrative world. Managing people as a happy individual. Not just chicken hearted scared and fearful doctor who follows the guidelines and recommendations or else get licence terminated or suspended. Sianz.....

Important in life is to have good mindset be happy think of good side of things, encourage and be optimistic, can do not cannot do......

Everything that medicine basically DRAINS SUCKS AND KILLS!
Thanks for sharing loctor KNN my uncle always got the thoughts that gp loctor got 1 of the best job in the world to follow guidelines and collect money till song song KNN

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just tell the HR manager that SAF = IAF....except that the Indian Armed Forces is the world's 5th most powderful military and SAF is ranked 55th.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Thanks for sharing loctor KNN my uncle always got the thoughts that gp loctor got 1 of the best job in the world to follow guidelines and collect money till song song KNN

It does not work like that lah. Guideline is set by who? Usually some old doctors talking around a table in the USA.

The patient. The customer. The client. They care about guideline meh? In Singapore they care about how much $$$? And also results. So I control my blood pressure so what? I dont feel any problem today leh. Why must take medicine? Doctor says guideline says control so that reduce your chances get stroke and cardiovascular disease.

Customer says but I got no stroke now right? WTF?

Same with covid vaccine now lor.

Guideline and Minister say GP go convince customers to take vaccine!

Customer says this vaccine 100% safe or not? GP says no one can say long term 100% safe lah. Customer say WTF?

Customer ask if I take vaccine means I wont get covid? GP says no can still get but maybe not so sick lah. Customer say in first place get covid is it 100% will be very sick? GP say no lah not all patient get covid is very sick can be not so sick lah. Customer says WTF?

And....if you try to leefer this issue to those who wrote the guideline.....they will say.....THESE ARE ONLY GUIDELINES......up to doctor themselves how they want to practice.

Yeah but when things go wrong and go to court they will ask.....WHY YOU NEVER FOLLOW GUIDELINES?

FUCK LAH!

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
It does not work like that lah. Guideline is set by who? Usually some old doctors talking around a table in the USA.

The patient. The customer. The client. They care about guideline meh? In Singapore they care about how much $$$? And also results. So I control my blood pressure so what? I dont feel any problem today leh. Why must take medicine? Doctor says guideline says control so that reduce your chances get stroke and cardiovascular disease.

Customer says but I got no stroke now right? WTF?

Same with covid vaccine now lor.

Guideline and Minister say GP go convince customers to take vaccine!

Customer says this vaccine 100% safe or not? GP says no one can say long term 100% safe lah. Customer say WTF?

Customer ask if I take vaccine means I wont get covid? GP says no can still get but maybe not so sick lah. Customer say in first place get covid is it 100% will be very sick? GP say no lah not all patient get covid is very sick can be not so sick lah. Customer says WTF?

And....if you try to leefer this issue to those who wrote the guideline.....they will say.....THESE ARE ONLY GUIDELINES......up to doctor themselves how they want to practice.

Yeah but when things go wrong and go to court they will ask.....WHY YOU NEVER FOLLOW GUIDELINES?

FUCK LAH!
Noted KNN my uncle shall be more empathetic to gp from now :biggrin: KNN

pvtpublic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Things have changed a lot in Singapore since the 80s.

I have heard many many stories about foreigners discriminating against local Singaporeans since the 2000s.

I would say this has become the norm.

The fact that such stories become reported in Straits Times and quoted from Ministers is evidence the problem has gotten even more prevalent.
should replace the entire cabinet with foreign talent

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do your uncle have to march in for the interview ?

Boliao

Alfrescian
Loyal
When U left, the SGD was much weaker. It cost me SGD 1 to buy 62 cents Canadian.
The last time I went to Singapore, it was about 92 cents Canadian to SGD 1
China is world's 2nd largest economy and our exchange rate is 1 to 4.7 RMB, when I visited China in early 2000, it was 1 to 6.9 RMB. Do you still think Singapore is amazing just because our currency is stronger than CAD?

Back to this topic, there are many jobs that Singaporeans can do but are taken up by foreigners because internally, Singapore wants foreigners to come. It's economics, Singaporeans are already here, they are not going anywhere but you need foreigners to come. Singapore are fucked a long long time ago. When your leaders think you are lesser mortals that deserves less than what they are giving you, you're already fucked.

FYI. Foreigners on Employment Pass (EP) are not subjected to foreigner quotas. EP are issued to senior management who are usually people managers. So Singapore's Manpower policy limits foreigner workers but freely hire managers who have decision making power over hiring.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When I left in 2010 actually CAD$ was very strong. SGD 1 to buy 71-76 cents Canadian.
It has since dropped to SGD 1 to 90 cents Canadian.

Anyway point is, such a tiny island city state the currency is almost on par with the 2nd largest country in the world by land mass. All the mountains, the rocks, the gold, the oil, the lumber, the water, the uranium, the iron, the coal, the helium, the potash.........and still the currency is on par with small tiny city state Singapore.

Singapore is amazing when it comes to money.
My first post, should be when I left,
Not when U left.
Typo

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Noted KNN my uncle shall be more empathetic to gp from now :biggrin: KNN
Last time paternalistic medicine. Dr say what you do what. No internet. Very hard to go medical library read complicated medical journal written in jargon. So nobody question just follow. Say thank you dr.

Later on got people write health books in simple plain language. People start to wise up. Question but still dunno enough to argue with dr. Dr say you do.

Cue dr google. Things changed liao.

If you just listen to whatever dr tell you and follow life will be easy and good for him or her.

But these days nobody respect dr anymore lah. All smarter than dr.