• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Foreign HR manager asks interview candidate "What is SAF"?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...-be-recognised-get-competitive-advantage-chee

SINGAPORE- A Singaporean who attended a job interview at a multinational corporation was once asked about his two years of national service with the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF).

The question of the foreign human resources manager was: "You wrote in your curriculum vitae that you spent two years with the SAF; what is SAF?"

This story was related by NTUC deputy secretary-general Chee Hong Tat, who spoke on Thursday (July 22) at a virtual masterclass event by Human Capital Singapore on key trends impacting Singapore's economy.

Mr Chee said an important factor that affects the "lived experiences" of local workers is how their employers and HR managers treat them at work.

"These experiences are powerful in shaping perceptions, more so than our policy explanations and statistics. When the emotions in our hearts feel different from the logic in our heads, most people will follow their hearts. It is what makes us human," he added.

"As a proud NSman who had served and defended his country, it was hurtful for him to be asked 'What is SAF?'."

The anecdote illustrates the limitations of a foreign HR manager who is not familiar with Singapore, he said.

Meanwhile, good HR practices - including working closely with unions - ought to be recognised, added Mr Chee.

There is already a differentiation for such employers versus those with poor HR records who do not put in effort to develop their local workforce.

But it could be more explicit, he said, and suggested that this could be done by giving the former more favourable consideration when it comes to government tenders, projects and grants.

He cited how the Land Transport Authority, in its bus package tenders, specified that "maintaining harmonious union-management relations" is one of the factors considered in evaluating the bids from participating companies.

This gives a clear and direct incentive for public transport operators to forge a strong relationship with the National Transport Workers' Union, said Mr Chee, who is also Senior Minister of State for Transport.

"Good employers who invest in building a strong Singaporean core and develop strong tripartite relations add social value, and we should recognise their contributions in tangible ways by giving them a competitive advantage."

A more explicit differentiated approach will "allow us to take firm action against the small minority of black sheep", he added.

"This will set the correct tone and the right set of incentives for companies and employers to support the larger social and economic objectives we want to achieve in Singapore."

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I think must make compulsory.

All workers in HR department must have either served NS, or if they have not then they need to serve an 8 week introductory course into what SAF is and what NS is.

All HR managers must possess a certificate of approval to work in HR department. To get this certificate must have served NS or done the 8 week course.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
What are we defending?

Singapore. The Nation. The Country. The Land. The Assets. The Money. The People. The Family. The Loved Ones. The Water. The Sea. The Soil. The Air. The Love. The Friends. The Buildings. The Culture. The Food. The Food. The Food. The Food. The Food. The Food. The Food.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Quite frankly, I wouldn't even bother writing the NS part in the CV. If the silly interviewer questions that 'gap', just reply casually and briefly. Or you can write a non-chronological CV.

Nobody in the private sector gives a shit about your NS stuff. Trust me on this.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
1626980328379.png

Hey better than ask this question right?

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
sinkies arse fucked?
Yes. Sinkees are farked very deeply. If it is foreign company and it has a foreign HR manager,we understand.But if it is a local company and it has a foreign HR manager,
sinkees are farked.That is,if u are a reservist, u will be ask to clarify why u need to report for ICT,IPPT and Mobilisation each year to the foreign HR manager and eventually u may be considered to be disruptive to their company plans and a liability.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Yes. Sinkees are farked very deeply. If it is foreign company and it has a foreign HR manager,we understand.But if it is a local company and it has a foreign HR manager,
sinkees are farked.That is,if u are a reservist, u will be ask to clarify why u need to report for ICT,IPPT and Mobilisation each year to the foreign HR manager and eventually u may be considered to be disruptive to their company plans and a liability.

Actually foreign company is no excuse. HR Manager is managing people. You have to know the rules and culture of the country the company is now doing business in.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If that employer is a local corporation, with an HR Manager who is a foreigner, that corporation should dismiss the HR Manager.
This is another reason that businesses in Singapore should not have HR managers who are foreigners, more so from South Asia.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
If that employer is a local corporation, with an HR Manager who is a foreigner, that corporation should dismiss the HR Manager.
This is another reason that businesses in Singapore should not have HR managers who are foreigners, more so from South Asia.

Things have changed a lot in Singapore since the 80s.

I have heard many many stories about foreigners discriminating against local Singaporeans since the 2000s.

I would say this has become the norm.

The fact that such stories become reported in Straits Times and quoted from Ministers is evidence the problem has gotten even more prevalent.

millim6868

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP CB talk cock now, 20yrs ago i went interview for job in mnc company,the CB HR a foreigths mgr threaten me indirectly by saying that many of her countrymen waiting for thetjob n they,don intend to hire me cos i singaporean, then when i join the comlany ,the malaysian supervisor as me to resign always for the 2 yrs i working there.CB PAP

millim6868

Alfrescian
Loyal
Company,said we disrupt work dze NS but they never think CN foreigners take long leave go back n always include MC , n CB mge n supervisor n HR all keepquieee as it is a norm.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Things have changed a lot in Singapore since the 80s.

I have heard many many stories about foreigners discriminating against local Singaporeans since the 2000s.

I would say this has become the norm.

The fact that such stories become reported in Straits Times and quoted from Ministers is evidence the problem has gotten even more prevalent.
I only worked a few months in Singapore, and left in Sep 1981.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I only worked a few months in Singapore, and left in Sep 1981.

Yeah Singapore in the 2000s was already very different from the 80s.

And from what I read now is even more different from the 2000s!

So much much much much has changed.

But most Singaporeans still love Singapore very much. And it continues to be very prosperous becoming richer and richer every year.

One example......@Charlie99 I am sure you will remember the CAD$ to SGD$ exchange rate in the 1980s. I have no idea myself. But do you remember?

Now CAD$ to SGD$ is about 1:1.1

Singapore has progressed a lot since the 1980s financially and in terms of wealth.