• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

for all you watch aficionados. restoration of a rolex.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I find that I don't have a problem with the hour and minutes as long as the hands are contrast-y and thick enough. no dress watches 4 me. The big issue is the date window.

I used to laugh at the rolex cyclops.... Now I think it's a necessity on every mechanical watch.
Yes, I never appreciated the cyclops until I hit my 50s. Love 'em now!

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
My eyes. If I ever wear a watch again, this what I will get. 50mm with clear legibility.

View attachment 128708
But 50mm is too big and heavy lah.

Like @nightsafari, I have no issue with telling time on any regular dial and hands. It's the bloody date window, so small! There are watches in the "sweet spot" range 38-42mm that have larger than normal date windows. Like these Glashutte Big Date models. I believe Seiko and Citizen also have big date models but are mostly quartz.

17cc9541dd3f5a555ea490374f2f9679.jpg
1-36-13-01-80-08-d0.jpg

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
tried metal straps before but the hinges cannot tahan also.
later in life in my line of work, watches get in the way, so heck, used to not wearing any watches since.
synthetic straps with a lightweight watch should do fine now... :biggrin:

I think the metal straps really take a bite out of you because of the weight of the watch. I had a lighter weight watch with a metal bracelet. All day comfortable. A heavier watch only can tahan 1-2 hours at a time.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Or no-date watches. They have a cleaner dial, like boss Sam's BB58. Some folks just like the clean look, without the clutter. Besides, it's easier and quicker to set time and not having to bother with the date.
that's something I still can't make up my mind about. date or no date. When I have it, I gripe about setting. When I don't have it, I gripe about having to check elsewhere....

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
that's something I still can't make up my mind about. date or no date. When I have it, I gripe about setting. When I don't have it, I gripe about having to check elsewhere....
How about this IWC Grande Complication ? You get perpetual calendar all the way to year 2499, moon-phase, chronograph and even a 21-second mechanical alarm !

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Same here, I am still struggling with it. I was told to just bite the bullet and get a no-date watch. And that I can always use my phone to tell me the date. I tell you, our world is upside down these days!:biggrin:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
How about this IWC Grande Complication ? You get perpetual calendar all the way to year 2499, moon-phase, chronograph and even a 21-second mechanical alarm !

If the watch is not worn before the power reserve runs out, or if it's not on a winder, it will take forever to dial in all the readings. Headache sia!:biggrin:

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal

ok. this is something I really can't stand. Grand complication watches I run far, far away.

First and foremost, where got money.

But secondly so much maintenance. You got to keep that thing on watchwinder forever right?

Thirdly and very applicable to a lot of people is I can't stand weight. I love mechanical but I can't stand weight so that's why I have a thing for earlier rolexes before they became bloated.

But I don't mind admiring it... :laugh::wink: