• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fish soup at Compasspoint

jw5

Loyal
Before the fish soup was made from the flesh of the pomfret fish. Today they are giving us meat from the toman which is a freshwater predator and farm bred. The meat is not very tasty.

These days, the most common fish used is batang. Most of the nice hawker stalls use this.
Toman is used in many of the food court stalls, especially in the sliced fish chor bee hoon dish, which I don't really like.
The only stall still selling pomfret soup which I'm aware of is the one at Amoy street, but one bowl = $10.
Also very few stalls selling red garouper or "hong shi ban" these days, 2 that I know of are at Golden Mile and the one Ashjaw mentioned at BT market.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These days, the most common fish used is batang. Most of the nice hawker stalls use this.
Toman is used in many of the food court stalls, especially in the sliced fish chor bee hoon dish, which I don't really like.
The only stall still selling pomfret soup which I'm aware of is the one at Amoy street, but one bowl = $10.
Also very few stalls selling red garouper or "hong shi ban" these days, 2 that I know of are at Golden Mile and the one Ashjaw mentioned at BT market.
Golden Mile which floor? The one in Amoy is nice, but I found a better one, cheaper and tastier, so I dun go there anymore.

jw5

Loyal
Golden Mile which floor? The one in Amoy is nice, but I found a better one, cheaper and tastier, so I dun go there anymore.

Ground floor, same as the fried hokkien mee and those stalls selling ayam penyet.

Alamak, tell us the betterest one leh, don't like that leh. :o

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My fav Teochew fish soup is at River Valley, beside Spize (Boon Tong Kee area), $4/5/6, the fish is thick and the soup is nice because they put blue ginger.

Ground floor, same as the fried hokkien mee and those stalls selling ayam penyet.

Alamak, tell us the betterest one leh, don't like that leh. :o

said liao mah....

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember having "sai toh" fish porridge when I was younger at newton circus food centre. Still there? It would be the one that is nearest to the carpark.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I remember having "sai toh" fish porridge when I was younger at newton circus food centre. Still there? It would be the one that is nearest to the carpark.

hi there

1. aiyoh!
2. bro, thank you for the fond memories.
3. btw, have you ever try "lei man" (rabbit) fish porridge, canto style?
4. in hk, we did it very frequently.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
No, but in Sydney we have Superbowl, 别不同。There is "ting chai" 粥, here, I've also noticed the rice in Teochew porridge are more "solid", soup is clear. while the 1s for Cantonese are more cooked and rice are more 烂。

hi there

1. aiyoh!
2. bro, thank you for the fond memories.
3. btw, have you ever try "lei man" (rabbit) fish porridge, canto style?
4. in hk, we did it very frequently.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
So far, I have not tried those mentioned by the brothers here. But the one stall that I love to patronize is the Teochew fish soup at Lavender Food Square.

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
So far, I have not tried those mentioned by the brothers here. But the one stall that I love to patronize is the Teochew fish soup at Lavender Food Square.

The Lavender one actually not bad and not ex but throws too much unwanted veggies into the soup to disguise that actually there're only a few slices of fish. But can't complain also, $3 fish soup beside that bloodsucking $4 kokkee wanton mee is quite alright already. If want more fish, pay $4 also OK, much more worthwhile than that bloodsucking kokkee wanton mee.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yeap, thats another stall that I will eat, but the portions of the fish doesnt justify the price.