• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

First WP GRC - Aljunied?

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Sylvia can topple Georgie, it will mark a new chapter in Sinkie history.

Do you think she can do it?
:o

How is the ground sentiment? Is Georgie making his rounds?

sinren67

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Sylvia can topple Georgie, it will mark a new chapter in Sinkie history.

Do you think she can do it?
:o

How is the ground sentiment? Is Georgie making his rounds?

Not whether she can do it, but whether she and he can do it - SL & LTK

It's open secret that Yaw Shing Leong will play the role of Lina's. Thus, 154th should give some coverage for Yaw in Hougang, thought there is no big issue or disagreement within WP.

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not whether she can do it, but whether she and he can do it - SL & LTK

It's open secret that Yaw Shing Leong will play the role of Lina's. Thus, 154th should give some coverage for Yaw in Hougang, thought there is no big issue or disagreement within WP.

Hope LTK helps out to get Aljunied out of PAP for once.

I hope Georgie don't contest in Aljunied because if he loses, we will lose a good Foreign Minister.

Dogsquare

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is what I see the game plan , Georgie will not stand there, he's likely to retire as he almost lost that GRC. Will pappy take any risk? I don't think so.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
GE 2006
Aljunied GRC
PAP 74,843 56.09%
WP 58,593 43.91%

PAP hold 12% margin lead in Aljunied ( narrow in electoral terms ) unlike the rest of GRCs when they hold 30%+ lead which our oppositions really can't win unless in exceptional circumstances.

PAP will gerrymander Aljunied GRC again to ensure their victory.

aangsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
assign george to where his talent is foreign affairs -naturally go to grc with the most FT. :biggrin:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please elaborate :(

Let's start with WP since it is mentioned. It has a well known team leader ie Sylvia Lim but kept itself too un-prominent and it is facing a popular George Yeo. RP is more prominent and has well known personality ie KJ but hasn't built any base or decided which base. SDA has even more well known personality Chiam, who is aging, also haven't built base despite deciding on it. NSP has the prominence like RP and has long decided the base, also working on it, but GMS hasn't reached the level of being known like the other personalities.

My take is the status quo - 2 seats and 7 NCMPs. If Chiam and LTK both leave their seats, sorry to say, 9 NCMPs, that's all. Since LTK said he won't take up NCMP seat (presume he loses Hg or other seat he contest) we S'poreans can say bye bye to him.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
In other words yes there might be PAP's 5th clean sweep in history and 1st in 30 years (since 1980). You can basically tell Singaporean's psyche when they took 13 years (1968 - 1981) to elected the first opposition MP and since 1991 to now they took an even longer time to elect a new opposition MP - 19 years and still counting.

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's start with WP since it is mentioned. It has a well known team leader ie Sylvia Lim but kept itself too un-prominent and it is facing a popular George Yeo. RP is more prominent and has well known personality ie KJ but hasn't built any base or decided which base. SDA has even more well known personality Chiam, who is aging, also haven't built base despite deciding on it. NSP has the prominence like RP and has long decided the base, also working on it, but GMS hasn't reached the level of being known like the other personalities.

My take is the status quo - 2 seats and 7 NCMPs. If Chiam and LTK both leave their seats, sorry to say, 9 NCMPs, that's all. Since LTK said he won't take up NCMP seat (presume he loses Hg or other seat he contest) we S'poreans can say bye bye to him.

LTK won't lose lah
Lose to who?
Eric Low??? :rolleyes::eek:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
LTK won't lose lah
Lose to who?
Eric Low??? :rolleyes::eek:

Read again. I said if both opposition MPs leave their seats, both successors will lose and so will they in their new GRC (maybe they would stand a chance in a new SMC). I'm not hoping this happen, but I'm not hoping much from S'poreans either.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

your scenario is pessimistic but realistic. PAP has excellent chances of winning back Potong Pasir and Hougang once their long serving incumbent oppo MP leave. 人在情在 人走情走 - Chiam and LTK iron votes might not go to their successors.

anyway, putting all aside and just factoring in nationwide swing of votes affecting all constituencies.
How much votes you expect our oppositions to win or lose against PAP?

If our oppositions have a nationwide swing of 5 percent in their favor, would WP win Aljunied GRC?

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hope LTK helps out to get Aljunied out of PAP for once.

I hope Georgie don't contest in Aljunied because if he loses, we will lose a good Foreign Minister.

What are Singapore's most important foreign relations? Malaysia, PRC and USA. All these are handled by MM, SM and PM. When protocol requires, i.e. in events where a titular Foreign Affairs Minister has to be sent, then he's sent there. Even then, he usually looks or ends up somewhere between puzzled and lost, ridiculed or ignored.

Why do foreign countries treat him that way? It's of course because of the reputation of MM and SM internationally. Since they're still active, nobody takes George Yeo seriously or believes he can make foreign affair decisions anyway. They believe (quite rightly) that MM and SM still call the shots; George Yeo is just filling a ceremonial position.

You may say, MM and SM are old now, George Yeo will eventually fledge and flex his full muscles. But alas, foreign affairs circle is very unforgiving and unforgetting. Once known as a dud and pup, always known as a dud and pup. The only way he can restore his reputation is by becoming PM himself, then people would be impressed. Otherwise, Singapore should be looking for a new foreign affairs minister.