• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fined $1 per minute for being late for work

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A 20-year-old who had trouble getting to work on time has complained to the Manpower Ministry that her former employer cut $1 from her pay for every minute she was late.

Then, when she lost an Excel computer file she was working on and did not keep a back-up, the company cut 70 per cent of her $1,500 pay.

She said she refused to accept a pay cheque for just $311 - after deductions for being late and losing the file - but she then went unpaid for two months.

By early April, after receiving repeated "warning letters" chiding her for poor performance, she sent the company an e-mail saying she wanted to quit.

But under the terms of her one-year contract, she would have to pay three months' salary to leave ahead of time.

The company does not deny that it penalised her for being late and losing the computerised file, but claims it did so to make her buck up at work.

She is seeking to recover two months in unpaid wages and deductions for latecoming.

Both sides spoke to The Sunday Times on condition that they are not named, as the case is still before the ministry.

Diploma holder Amanda Lin (name changed) contacted The Sunday Times in the wake of a widely circulated video showing a supervisor at another company repeatedly slapping a young male worker.

Both work in small companies in the IT industry. There are more than 150,000 small and medium-sized companies in Singapore.

"The video made me realise that more young workers may be suffering in silence," said the bespectacled young woman who is now looking for work.

The eldest of four children said she began working as a "project coordinator" at the company last September and it helped her pay her $1,200 monthly fees for night classes at a private university.

Problems started in her first couple of weeks at work when she did not arrive by 9am and kept arriving around 20 minutes late. The company suggested pushing back her start time to 9.30am but said it would start docking $1 for every minute she was late.

She said she was late because at first she took a shuttle bus and had to change trains twice to get to work. Later, she found a direct bus, but would often get caught in rush-hour traffic.

She said she was not late every day, and her worst record in a single month was being a total of 139 minutes late, or roughly 7.5 minutes each day.

She knew she was in the wrong and tried to make up by taking a shorter lunch break and leaving the office later, but she was still fined.

"Still I did not complain, thinking I was late after all," she said.

But she was upset to see her $311 pay cheque because, she said, she had redone the work on the file. "That's when I realised, hey this is not right, especially since I worked very hard to re-do the file," she said.

Lawyer Mark Goh, who has represented employers and employees in workplace disputes, said if her allegations are correct, the company may have flouted the Employment Act in a number of ways.

First, while employers can make deductions for latecoming on a pro-rated basis, what Ms Lin was subjected to appears to have been excessive.

Also, under the same Act, workers generally cannot be charged more than 25 per cent of their salary for destroying or damaging office property or documents.

"If an employee frequently under-performs, the employer has the option to fire her," said Mr Goh. "Withholding her pay while expecting her to do her work can be seen as exploitation."

Labour MP Zainal Sapari, who heads an NTUC unit for contract workers like Ms Lin, said workers should consider joining unions to get advice and better protection should disputes arise with their employer.

"You can join a union as a general member even if you are a contract worker and your company is not unionised," he said.

[email protected]

*****************Background Story *****************

WHAT THE BOSS SAYS

Polytechnic graduate Daniel Tan (name changed), 29, who is Ms Amanda Lin's boss, said the company decided to penalise her to inculcate a "better work ethic" in her.

"She is young. She has her whole career in front of her," said Mr Tan, a director in the company. "A poor work attitude will get her nowhere."

This is his version of what happened.

On fines for late-coming

The company gave her the flexibility to push back her start time from 9am to 9.30am, but said that if she continued to be late, it would impose the fine as her tardiness was affecting the rest of the team.

On docking 70 per cent of her pay for losing an Excel file

The penalty was not just because she lost the file but for "wilful insubordination". All employees are told to back up their work, but Ms Lin did not, he said.

On restitution of pay

The company is willing to refund the deductions made for punctuality and loss of the file. But it is refusing to pay her for the whole month of March because she was absent without leave for two days.

On insisting that employees pay the equivalent of three months' salary if they quit before the end of their contract

This is necessary given that employees job-hop in a tight labour market, often after being trained.

On the lack of payslips for employees

They can make photocopies if they want.

Source: Straits Times © Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. Permission required for reproduction.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Both work in small companies in the IT industry. There are more than 150,000 small and medium-sized companies in Singapore.

Lemme guess... another petty towkay and his small-time sweatshop. :rolleyes:

I've heard the horror stories. Severe restriction of lunchtime. Frequent toilet breaks are frowned upon. Impromptu no-pay OT. No investment on employees' training. Late payment of wages.

Now you know why those ASME members are such loyal fans of the PAP regime. Because they know they can get away with such nonsense in a 'pro-business' environment.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
"She is young. She has her whole career in front of her," said Mr Tan, a director in the company. "A poor work attitude will get her nowhere."

bullshit.... dun give this type of hypocrite showing of concern, the company can fired her straight away if she did not do well.. They just dun wish to pay any compensation over the contract. This is so sinkie.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I've heard the horror stories. Severe restriction of lunchtime. Frequent toilet breaks are frowned upon. Impromptu no-pay OT. No investment on employees' training. Late payment of wages.

Now you know why those ASME members are such loyal fans of the PAP regime. Because they know they can get away with such nonsense in a 'pro-business' environment.

This type of people treat their maids badly at home.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The usual policy in better workplaces is this: if you are late by 15 minutes, you voluntarily stay back later in the evening for 15 minutes. Nobody will ask any questions. Just clock the stipulated number of hours stated in your contract, do your job well, and fuck off at the end of the day. That's it. No fuss, no drama.

Of course, don't make it a habit and be late all the time. And if there's an early meeting do make an effort to go to work extra early.

Docking pay for being late? Only a petty towkay does this.

A good boss assumes the best of his/her employees and brings out the best in them.

A bad boss always assumes the worst of his/her employees.

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have already said it once in this forum and I will say it again. I have absolutely zero respect for employers who think workers have no rights as long as they are getting paid. Given a choice, it takes someone with a strong moral will not exploit a situation to his advantage but to the misery of others and I would say very few people fall into this category, employers and employees included. In the SG context, the employers hold a much greater bargaining power and abuses are rife in the smaller companies.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I have already said it once in this forum and I will say it again. I have absolutely zero respect for employers who think workers have no rights as long as they are getting paid.

And I have zero respect for employees who do not put in the effort required of them in order to do a good job.

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lawyer Mark Goh, who has represented employers and employees in workplace disputes, said if her allegations are correct, the company may have flouted the Employment Act in a number of ways.

So? Talk so much also pointless, because MOM will not lift a finger to help anyone until their own pocket is affected.

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So? Talk so much also pointles, because MOM will not lift a finger to help anyone until their own pocket is affected.

Got la.....they push out those anal rententive ads.........
I KNOW MY RIGHTS, I DO IT RIGHT!
The ad campaign contract probably went to crony firms......

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Got la.....they push out those anal rententive ads.........
I KNOW MY RIGHTS, I DO IT RIGHT!
The ad campaign contract probably went to crony firms......

You call this helping?

Helping is bringing the law to the employer and hauling him to court for breaching the law. That's what a ministry is for. To minister the law on behalf of the electorate who voted the government into parliament, even though the PM is the one who nominated his cabinet, which is so communist in this regard.

No PM should be allowed to nominate his own cabinet. That is communism.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The usual policy in better workplaces is this: if you are late by 15 minutes, you voluntarily stay back later in the evening for 15 minutes. Nobody will ask any questions. Just clock the stipulated number of hours stated in your contract, do your job well, and fuck off at the end of the day. That's it. No fuss, no drama.

Of course, don't make it a habit and be late all the time. And if there's an early meeting do make an effort to go to work extra early.

Docking pay for being late? Only a petty towkay does this.

A good boss assumes the best of his/her employees and brings out the best in them.

A bad boss always assumes the worst of his/her employees.

Well said, bro. In better workplaces, you are expected to have pride in your work, and the company is expected to reciprocate. Its a two-way street. That is why social and career mobility is so important. If you put in your best and your company doesn't appreciate what you're doing, jump ship immediately. Don't waste time over employers who do not value genuine output.

The converse goes for employees with a lousy work attitude. They should be shown the door as fast as possible because one person's bad attitude affects the rest.

Last edited:

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng's ex-boss already started cutting 50 cents per minute off late-comers' pay check liao! :biggrin: even those who keng mc or urgent leave kana cut pay! "why pay people who are not working?" he said to all!

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng's ex-boss already started cutting 50 cents per minute off late-comers' pay check liao! :biggrin: even those who keng mc or urgent leave kana cut pay! "why pay people who are not working?" he said to all!

Like that taxpayers need to dock 95% of Leegime pay, inflation adjusted and opportunity cost adjusted which could pile up to 1 trillion SGD, enough to build an inclusive Singapore without Leegime :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This woman is no asset to anyone. Repeatedly and come out with stupid and silly excuses such as traffic jam etc. the company is purposely doing it to get her to quit on their terms. She has the audacity to say that she worked hard on the file despite it disappearing in thin air.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What's the big deal about turning up late for work?

Being late for work in an IT job can be inconsequential to your job performance if you deliver on time.

What happened to flexi work hours?

DEDEER

Alfrescian
Loyal
What's the big deal about turning up late for work?

Being late for work in an IT job can be inconsequential to your job performance if you deliver on time.

What happened to flexi work hours?

Its her attitude that sucks.

9am start work she will come at 915am. You change it to 930am, she will be in at 945am. You change to 10am she will be in at 1015am.

Habitual latecomers. I have seen it all. No matter what time the official start work time, they will be late. Might as well say work just as well from home and no need to turn up in office.