• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fined $1 per minute for being late for work

B Man

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree..

1. She could have taken one bus earlier to get to office on time. Its a wonder that she just realized much later that there was a direct bus! Its like she could not be bothered to check on how to get to work earlier despite warnings.

2. Being given a work to do and treat it as if it is not important is grounds for dismissal. The boss should have just terminated her earlier instead of resorting to fines and docking pay.

3. Company should be entitled to your proper work in exchange for your salary. For those that disagree, did you all realize that for a poor performing employee in the office, YOU are probably shouldering his work for him?? And that he/she probably gets away with doing nothing and probably getting the credit for "getting the work done"?

Again, I repeat that there are many such poor attitude employees out there especially in the younger generation who seem to have the mentality that someone out there owes them a living (with HIGH pay) for just showing up in the office. They do not realize that they are expected to work and will argue when given ANY work at all.

What has happened to the country??

And I have zero respect for employees who do not put in the effort required of them in order to do a good job.

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Follow PAP example........jiakliaobees no need work still can get millions.
Poor performer let Mat Selamat run away still can get promotion.
Daughter in law lost billions still can get multi million bonus.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why can't these towkays hire pinoys, Indians and Chinese? They will be doing good for the country by providing such management to those foreigners.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Again, I repeat that there are many such poor attitude employees out there especially in the younger generation who seem to have the mentality that someone out there owes them a living (with HIGH pay) for just showing up in the office. They do not realize that they are expected to work and will argue when given ANY work at all.

We should send them to the Philippines, India and China for training.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Its her attitude that sucks.

9am start work she will come at 915am. You change it to 930am, she will be in at 945am. You change to 10am she will be in at 1015am.

Habitual latecomers. I have seen it all. No matter what time the official start work time, they will be late. Might as well say work just as well from home and no need to turn up in office.

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. Do we have the complete story? Is she allowed to leave on time or is she made to work late frequently?

She is just a contract worker ...meaning she has NO benefits. And you expect dedication from underpaid and overworked staff?

B Man

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree..

What you say is a very good idea. A stint for a year in a factory or some farm village where they really have to work for a living will teach them what work and real life really means..

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Its her attitude that sucks.

9am start work she will come at 915am. You change it to 930am, she will be in at 945am. You change to 10am she will be in at 1015am.

Habitual latecomers. I have seen it all. No matter what time the official start work time, they will be late. Might as well say work just as well from home and no need to turn up in office.

Agree..

1. She could have taken one bus earlier to get to office on time. Its a wonder that she just realized much later that there was a direct bus! Its like she could not be bothered to check on how to get to work earlier despite warnings.

2. Being given a work to do and treat it as if it is not important is grounds for dismissal. The boss should have just terminated her earlier instead of resorting to fines and docking pay.

3. Company should be entitled to your proper work in exchange for your salary. For those that disagree, did you all realize that for a poor performing employee in the office, YOU are probably shouldering his work for him?? And that he/she probably gets away with doing nothing and probably getting the credit for "getting the work done"?

Ok frankly I do not know what kind of employee she is. I can't guess if she's a slacker or just someone who likes to work at her own schedule (I am like this).

But to penalise someone simply for turning up late in the office ridiculous. Employee performance is measured more than daily punctuality. There should be better targets set like customer satisfaction, billing rate, issue resolution time, project delivery etc.

Managers shouldn't micro manage. Take KPIs and measure them!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I have spent considerable time working in these 3 countries. Punctuality in PH and India are even worse than Sinkieland -- mainly due to the traffic. In PRC things are better. However, the communist sanctioned after-lunch siesta is still practised in less cosmo cities.

One thing common all 3 countries - Productivity is abysmal! You can even see 5 persons doing 1 employee's job. Punctual or not, when you are not productive you are quite useless..

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ok frankly I do not know what kind of employee she is. I can't guess if she's a slacker or just someone who likes to work at her own schedule (I am like this).

But to penalise someone simply for turning up late in the office ridiculous. Employee performance is measured more than daily punctuality. There should be better targets set like customer satisfaction, billing rate, issue resolution time, project delivery etc.

Managers shouldn't micro manage. Take KPIs and measure them!

Believe me: it is the mentality of petty towkays.

The mentality that they are the supreme overlords of their employees' time... so every minute of your working hours will be milked dry from you. Toilet breaks, pantry breaks, lunch breaks are all severely curtailed. Even the application of paid leave, supposedly a simple and straightforward thing, is subjected to whims, ridicule, lengthy brinkmanship and petty bargaining.

Those towkay employers are doing this because they know they can get away with it. The PAP govt leans heavily towards businesses. Workers in Singapore have very limited rights.

B Man

Alfrescian
Loyal
In China, its the During-lunch siesta, not the Italian and Spanish style 2-4pm siesta...

I have spent considerable time working in these 3 countries. Punctuality in PH and India are even worse than Sinkieland -- mainly due to the traffic. In PRC things are better. However, the communist sanctioned after-lunch siesta is still practised in less cosmo cities.

One thing common all 3 countries - Productivity is abysmal! You can even see 5 persons doing 1 employee's job. Punctual or not, when you are not productive you are quite useless..

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To be fair to both parties, employer should fire employee they find as a liability .e.g being always late. They should not deduct $/min etc. Just pay as usual and fire them lor .

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To be fair to both parties, employer should fire employee they find as a liability .e.g being always late. They should not deduct $/min etc. Just pay as usual and fire them lor .

exactly... imposing fines is the Pap way. This type of management will not work on young people since they can easily blow off a hundred dollars on a night out.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

This towkay found a cheap labour and didn't want to give it up. And wanted to squeeze more. If she was a problem, he should have let her resigned. Nope, towkay wants to keep her thus imposing the 3-month pay penalty if she quits. What kind of skill that she has learned that is worth 3 months pay? Mind you, she is making only $1500 a month.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This towkay found a cheap labour and didn't want to give it up. And wanted to squeeze more. If she was a problem, he should have let her resigned. Nope, towkay wants to keep her thus imposing the 3-month pay penalty if she quits. What kind of skill that she has learned that is worth 3 months pay? Mind you, she is making only $1500 a month.

Yeah sadly this kind of thing happens commonly in many work places. Towkay ai pi you ai qi.. workers not able to find a proper paying job and try to eat back towkay with pattern liao liao.
The root cause of all these still bolis down to pappies lor.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
No company or organisation in the world is going to kick out a performer even if he is repeatedly late. These are the guys that deliver the goods for the company. I am sure even if you joined the workforce only 6 months ago, the company only bothers to chase after the non-performers. We are not talking about punching time card and if do not take your place in the assembly the production run is stifled.

One has to be simple minded or naive to think that this girl is a performer and the company is mindless.

Arguments such as being punctual and not related to performance is spurious and disingenuous in this case. Common sense will tell you most companies prefer to force the employee to resign and they don't hang a sign-board at the front with her name with instruction to resign. They do exactly what this company is doing. $1 per minute did not work so the penalty for missing file.

If you are an adult and possess sufficient interaction skills you would realise that many people can perform without conforming to silly rules. This girl is not one of them.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually it is general practice to have this built into the bonus plan for performers. Time is no longer a consideration in most organisations, just quality of work and meeting company's values. You must have both.

If arriving early and leaving late, she should be pay $2 for every minute, and completing project ahead of schedule should be given 1 month extra bonus....:o

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lemme guess... another petty towkay and his small-time sweatshop. :rolleyes:

I've heard the horror stories. Severe restriction of lunchtime. Frequent toilet breaks are frowned upon. Impromptu no-pay OT. No investment on employees' training. Late payment of wages.

Now you know why those ASME members are such loyal fans of the PAP regime. Because they know they can get away with such nonsense in a 'pro-business' environment.

Let me guess..Which party did this Boss voted for? LOLOLOLOL

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually it is general practice to have this built into the bonus plan for performers. Time is no longer a consideration in most organisations, just quality of work and meeting company's values. You must have both.

Really?

Why don't you tell that to your Pappy Mini stars?

Don't tell me you are also too balless to do it? LOLOL

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Common sense will tell you most companies prefer to force the employee to resign and they don't hang a sign-board at the front with her name with instruction to resign. They do exactly what this company is doing. $1 per minute did not work so the penalty for missing file.

you are certainly making a lot of assumptions for an anonymous case ...

btw, I've seen people get told to leave (back to their home country) just after 3 months of not meeting performance expectations. That's after a couple of warnings to buck up.

No hints, no fines. Just "thanks for your hard work... you can start handing over your duties to XXX tomorrow".

I dunno how it was for you in the public service :rolleyes: