• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Finally we have 1 intelligent President's Scholar

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
bao.jpg

MOST President's Scholars opt to go to the United States or to Britain to further their studies.

But 19-year-old Tan Bao Jia has chosen to absorb herself in Chinese culture, and will be going to Peking University in China to study Economics.

The former Dunman High student council president will be the first President's Scholar to go to China - an emerging world superpower - where she hopes to bring back a better understanding of how the country operates.

This will put Singapore in better stead when doing business with China, she said.

President S R Nathan awarded the nation's most prestigious undergraduate scholarship to Miss Tan and five other youth on Friday evening.

Miss Tan's road to China was not easy, considering that she had to struggle with Chinese Language and Literature lessons. She had taken up the subject for the A-levels, but never imagined that 'it would be so hard to love it'.

'And when you don't love it, it's hard to do well in it,' she said

However, she credits her teachers for making the subject so interesting that she scored an A for it.

Another scholar who didn't have it easy was Mr Nicholas Tay Weizhe, who was no straight-A student at first.

'Just look at my O-level grades,' he said, referring to the B3s he received for English and Music, as well as the A2 for Higher Chinese.

His father, a crane operator, had told the then-Secondary Three student that he could only afford to send either him or his younger brother to university overseas, and that if he had really wanted to go, he would have to earn a scholarship.

That became Mr Tay's goal, which was realised on Friday night at the ceremony in the Istana.

In his speech, President Nathan said that the scholarship, meant to groom 'visionary' leaders, 'demands a commitment from you (the scholars) to serve your nation and fellow citizens'.

He called on them to 'learn new things about the world and about yourself', while keeping themselves immersed in community work, even while they were busy studying overseas.

This would help them understand and empathise with 'the concerns of ordinary people', which would aid them when they return to Singapore to serve in the public service.

1. Miss Gan Su Yi
From: Singapore Chinese Girls' School and National Junior College

Heading for: University College, London, in Britain to study Economics

2. Miss Claire Soon Jing Min
From: Nanyang Girls' High School and Hwa Chong Institution
Heading for: Oxford University in Britain to study History

3. Miss Tan Bao Jia

Heading for: Peking University in China to study Economics

4. Mr Jonathan Au Yong Kok Kong
Heading for: Yale University in the United States to study Ethics, Politics and Economics

5. Mr Nicholas Tay Weizhe
Heading for: London School of Economics and Political Science to study International Relations and History
6. Mr Alexander Joseph Woon Wei-Ming
From: St John's International School in Belgium, and Raffles Junior College
Heading for: Cambridge University in Britain to study law

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wat a joke! ...

she shud select 2 go to nus ... sg is world crass, world's bestest, world lumpar 1 ...

Lee Hsien Tau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go China to study econs?

Study command economics?

bao.jpg

MOST President's Scholars opt to go to the United States or to Britain to further their studies.

But 19-year-old Tan Bao Jia has chosen to absorb herself in Chinese culture, and will be going to Peking University in China to study Economics.

The former Dunman High student council president will be the first President's Scholar to go to China - an emerging world superpower - where she hopes to bring back a better understanding of how the country operates.

This will put Singapore in better stead when doing business with China, she said.

President S R Nathan awarded the nation's most prestigious undergraduate scholarship to Miss Tan and five other youth on Friday evening.

Miss Tan's road to China was not easy, considering that she had to struggle with Chinese Language and Literature lessons. She had taken up the subject for the A-levels, but never imagined that 'it would be so hard to love it'.

'And when you don't love it, it's hard to do well in it,' she said

However, she credits her teachers for making the subject so interesting that she scored an A for it.

Another scholar who didn't have it easy was Mr Nicholas Tay Weizhe, who was no straight-A student at first.

'Just look at my O-level grades,' he said, referring to the B3s he received for English and Music, as well as the A2 for Higher Chinese.

His father, a crane operator, had told the then-Secondary Three student that he could only afford to send either him or his younger brother to university overseas, and that if he had really wanted to go, he would have to earn a scholarship.

That became Mr Tay's goal, which was realised on Friday night at the ceremony in the Istana.

In his speech, President Nathan said that the scholarship, meant to groom 'visionary' leaders, 'demands a commitment from you (the scholars) to serve your nation and fellow citizens'.

He called on them to 'learn new things about the world and about yourself', while keeping themselves immersed in community work, even while they were busy studying overseas.

This would help them understand and empathise with 'the concerns of ordinary people', which would aid them when they return to Singapore to serve in the public service.

1. Miss Gan Su Yi
From: Singapore Chinese Girls' School and National Junior College

Heading for: University College, London, in Britain to study Economics

2. Miss Claire Soon Jing Min
From: Nanyang Girls' High School and Hwa Chong Institution
Heading for: Oxford University in Britain to study History

3. Miss Tan Bao Jia

Heading for: Peking University in China to study Economics

4. Mr Jonathan Au Yong Kok Kong
Heading for: Yale University in the United States to study Ethics, Politics and Economics

5. Mr Nicholas Tay Weizhe
Heading for: London School of Economics and Political Science to study International Relations and History
6. Mr Alexander Joseph Woon Wei-Ming
From: St John's International School in Belgium, and Raffles Junior College
Heading for: Cambridge University in Britain to study law

jim007jimmyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
i told old fart say peasant gene is of poor quality??

And shd not reproduce?

Mother fucker ask him look at his stained famiLEE tree!!!!

Worse than Hitler!!! At least Hitler kills Jew and not his own people.

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
Finally an undergrad that deserves emulation

If 25% of our grads are like her, Singapore's future will be good

If 50% of our grads like her, Singapore will be tops

19-year old and so much wisdom

Finally I have a little bit of hope for S'pore

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
Six thinking questions :

1. Why is she considered "intelligent" to choose to go to a communist country to study economics - and not the other "stupid" scholar who chose to study at the London School of Economics?
2. Is das kapital the best economic model for Singapore ?
3. How much PRC mei mei culture - the type we witness in Singapore - will she adopt at his young impressionistic age?
4, As a future leader, is she likely to come back and turn Singapore into a communist state?
5. Will she come back and because of her special affinity to PRC get more PRC men and women to come to Singapore to work or migrate here?
6. Finally will she abandon the Singapore men and marry a PRC rich communist cadre son?

Who is intelligent enough to answer these 6 questions?

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Finally an undergrad that deserves emulation

If 25% of our grads are like her, Singapore's future will be good

If 50% of our grads like her, Singapore will be tops

19-year old and so much wisdom

Finally I have a little bit of hope for S'pore

You mean she goes to communist CHINA to study eCONomics, she is the hope for the future of SINgapore?..my goodness!....the country is going down the drain....and becoming oldwater!.

The only CON in eCONomics, is what the Chinese are good at, wether communist or not.....she will CONquer the world!...:p

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's a shit piece of clothing.

But only an idiot would think she's a thambi.

TV2009081422305600.jpg

Yukes!...close up, not too depressing, from the distance...so frumpy..no wonder prataman look so grumpy...the tangachi..looks prettier!!..with the hot sari!!!, never mind the curry!:biggrin:

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal

Very touchy issue, but well, I feel this old rocker is useless. I have observed from my encounters with several people including the familymakers that many children suffer and are bereft of opportunities because their parents are poor, abusive, uneducated and could not give them the basic enough much less the best of things.

There was once I took a cab and from my conversation I learned of his family and all, and he said to his son "you'd have to study hard and earn everything yourself, because there is nothing more I can give you other than this three-room flat we are residing in when I'm gone."

And I was thinking at the back of my head, "you are useless".

This is not something people should follow, but I read that in Hong Kong the culture is that if a man of the house did not bring money home for more than two months the kids would no longer address him as father.

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
chinese are the original capitalists and every day they prayed to 财神(关公)for better wealth and business. Can you name any human race that is so money minded.

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
there are many spots for sex and entertainment the whole night. never get lonely. she really can enjoy there the whole nights. smart. can you find these in sg? in usa? in europe?