• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Female with a masters engineering degree still jobless

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.transitioning.org/2010/1...h-a-masters-engineering-degree-still-jobless/

Hi Gilbert,

Thank you very much for setting up transitioning.org website. It has been a great support to me whenever I feel depressed while searching for a job.

I’m Deborah (not her real name) currently a job seeker who has graduated from a local university with an engineering degree (3rd class Honors) few years ago.

Upon graduation, I worked as a sales executive in a small local firm for 2 years until the owner decided to wind up his business. The reason why I have taken up the job that is completely unrelated to my degree was because I wanted to improve on my soft skills. Although I have seen some improvement, I have to admit that I am not really cut out for sales.

I decided that I should go back to the engineering industry but faced difficulties getting a engineering-related job as it was the start of the financial crisis at that time.

As a result, I took on a temporary administrative job for about a year. In the meantime, I continued to send resumes to prospective employers and went for about 10 interviews for different job positions – administration, customer service, engineering, etc but failed to land a permanent job.

In mid 2009, I went overseas to pursue a Masters in engineering as I reckoned that with the advanced qualification, it would increase my chances of getting an engineering job. I came back to SG in Sept this year and have been actively looking for a job since.

So far, I have been to two interviews. One is a manufacturing firm but I think that my chance of being selected for employment there is low as they expected me to have the necessary working experience which I lack. The other position is more promising but they are still interviewing candidates for the position. I am keeping my fingers crossed here.

I was actually expecting more interviews after applying for about 40 positions with an expected salary of a fresh graduate. Moreover, it seems that the job market is doing well as there are more advertisements now compared to the period 2008 – 2009.

However, after getting only two interviews from 40 applications, my confidence level is at its lowest ebb now.

I have seen your report about how job seekers are leaving out their post graduate qualification to avoid being seen as being over qualified for a position. I wonder if I should do the same to increase my chances of getting an interview but if I do that how can I explain the one year gap in my resume?

I would like to seek help with a career counsellor to identify the type of jobs that I am suitable for and also to seek assistance on how to improve my resume and interview skills.

Hope you can help me with it.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Deborah

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
I’m Deborah (not her real name) currently a job seeker who has graduated from a local university with an engineering degree (3rd class Honors) few years ago.

Upon graduation, I worked as a sales executive in a small local firm for 2 years until the owner decided to wind up his business.

As a result, I took on a temporary administrative job for about a year.

In mid 2009, I went overseas to pursue a Masters in engineering as I reckoned that with the advanced qualification

If you are a manager, you will hire this kind of trash with 0 experience and low intelligence???

I bet $100 she went to Australia to get a pay-money-get-degree masters.

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
3rd class, pple i know who got 3rd class honurs went into sales line,like insurance and so on.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Dear Deborah,

May I suggest that you go to Orchard Towers tonight dressed in your sluttiest outfit. There you will find many foriegn men of the caucasian persuasion. Your only hope is to land one of them with an outstanding performance in bed. They will than return with you to the US, UK, Australia, Canada etc. and make you their bride. You see foreign men are not intimidated by females with masters degrees in engineering. Once you are in these foreign lands, you can easily get a job in the engineering field with your qualifications. Trust me when I tell you that this is the route to success for many Singapore females.

Love,

Gilbert

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
this will never ever happen in australia! female engineers are valued very much!

then why so many aussie dont work and prefer to lay on the beach everyday ? waiting to get money from the goverment every month ? lazy ? :wink:

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dun understand why pple are so fixated with paper qualifications that they cheong all the way to Masters and PhD without experience. Then how? Cannot find work cos they are overqualified.

kanna con by all these universities selling Masters and PhD programmes.

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aerospace engineering?
Biological engineering?
Civil engineering?
Electrical engineering?
Engineering Science?
Financial engineering?
Industrial engineering?
Materials Engineering?
Mechanical engineering?
Military engineer?
Nuclear engineering?
Ocean engineering?
Petroleum engineering?
Planetary engineering / Geoengineering?
Reverse engineering?
Software engineering?
Social engineering?
Stellar engineering?
Systems engineering?
Textile engineering?
Safety Engineering?

Which field of engineering you never say ? :confused:

roxygurly

Alfrescian
Loyal
then why so many aussie dont work and prefer to lay on the beach everyday ? waiting to get money from the goverment every month ? lazy ? :wink:

you view laying on the beach as lazing..... i view it as leisure and recharging before one puts in his best at work the next day... old uncle! u need to learn to be less prejudiced!

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
3rd class degree + No experience = No chance

If 3rd class degree + No experience + A face like Mdm Jinx = No employment for the rest of her life!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I bet $100 she went to Australia to get a pay-money-get-degree masters.

You'd loose your bet as she claims to be a local grad:

"I’m Deborah (not her real name) currently a job seeker who has graduated from a local university with an engineering degree (3rd class Honors) few years ago."

silliporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Masters dont mean shit these days..half of my drafting department got MBAs from NTU or NUS or some other Uni...

Can we promote them? The answer is NO, their skills obtained is not relevant to their work...

For example, if you are a boss n u can hire an engineer for say 5K per month, would you pay him/her 9K a month because they hold a MBA?

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Masters dont mean shit these days..half of my drafting department got MBAs from NTU or NUS or some other Uni...

Can we promote them? The answer is NO, their skills obtained is not relevant to their work...

For example, if you are a boss n u can hire an engineer for say 5K per month, would you pay him/her 9K a month because they hold a MBA?

Yes. Obviously there are other intangibles like whether he can bring in network of contacts and whether he has experience in overseas projects if i should expand.

You are the type of idiot boss who deserves to rot in Singapore, becos you equate everyone a same value regardless of other factors. :oIo: