• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Failed celebrity businesses

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
pic2.jpg

Terence Cao
TV actor Terence Cao (right) was the licensee of Soho Live Disco at Boulevard Hotel. The nightspot was set up to the tune of $1.2 million and it boasted a bar counter that "glows" from a play of lights. It has since closed.

Fellow actor Li Nanxing (left) was one of his partners.

pic3.jpg

Li Nanxing
Apart from the failed Soho Live Disco, the former king of Caldecott Hill also had another failed business venture, a members-only club where he lost his $900,000 investment and led him to a half-million dollar debt to suppliers.

pic4.jpg

Zhang Yaodong
The entrepreneurial actor, who is one of the owners of a bridal boutique as well as an electronics shop, saw his roast meat stall, Restoran Selayang, falter due to insufficient attention from all the parties involved. He had set it up with with good friend and fellow colleague Terence Cao, MediaCorp's stunt coordinator Kong Xiang De.

He told The New Paper in an earlier interview: “Some outlets were making money and some weren’t. But we couldn’t afford to keep the profitable ones going because the contracts for the locations are connected,” he said.

“It was very painful to end the business because of the effort put in, but we had to cut our losses.”

pic5.jpg

Benjamin Heng
Heng still vividly remembers his biggest failed investment, a "six-figure loss", resulting from the closure of his Flowerbed Kitchen & Bar noodle eatery at Far East Square in 2007.

He told The New Paper: "I used my retrenchment package from SPH MediaWorks (when it merged with MediaCorp in 2005) and borrowed some money from immediate family members to help fund this investment."

"It was a very significant loss. In fact, to this day, even though I've recouped (the losses), I'm still recovering (mentally) from it."

pic6.jpg

Jackie Chan
The superstar opened car repair shops, gyms, gift shops and restaurants over two decades ago, but he said they failed because he wasn't savvy enough in business.

He told The Taipei Times: "I thought since I could make movies, I tried business on my own. I didn't know how to calculate, how much things I bought cost, how much a month's rent cost ... I lost several million, then millions again."

He says he now hires professional businessmen to do the nitty-gritty work, while he makes strategic decisions.

pic7.jpg

Andrew Seow
Ex-MediaCorp actor Andrew Seow set up a call-centre company with his friend doing telemarketing for credit cards. He invested $600,000.

After 1 1/2 year's struggle, they eventually closed down the business.

Politely declining to reveal figures of how much he has left after the massive loss of $600,000, he joked to The New Paper: 'My savings are depleted, but I still have enough for rainy days and to buy my coffin!'

pic8.jpg

Loretta Chen
On one of her birthdays, local creative director Loretta Chen found out she had lost close to $200,000 in a business venture.

She had started the business with her elder brother Eric and a close friend in 2008.

However, the business folded 18 months after it was set up.

pic12.jpg

Hulk Hogan
The wrestler attempted to open a fast-food pasta restaurant, named Pastamania, but it shut down after just a year.

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
pic2.jpg

Terence Cao
TV actor Terence Cao (right) was the licensee of Soho Live Disco at Boulevard Hotel. The nightspot was set up to the tune of $1.2 million and it boasted a bar counter that "glows" from a play of lights. It has since closed.

Fellow actor Li Nanxing (left) was one of his partners.

pic3.jpg

Li Nanxing
Apart from the failed Soho Live Disco, the former king of Caldecott Hill also had another failed business venture, a members-only club where he lost his $900,000 investment and led him to a half-million dollar debt to suppliers.

pic4.jpg

Zhang Yaodong
The entrepreneurial actor, who is one of the owners of a bridal boutique as well as an electronics shop, saw his roast meat stall, Restoran Selayang, falter due to insufficient attention from all the parties involved. He had set it up with with good friend and fellow colleague Terence Cao, MediaCorp's stunt coordinator Kong Xiang De.

He told The New Paper in an earlier interview: “Some outlets were making money and some weren’t. But we couldn’t afford to keep the profitable ones going because the contracts for the locations are connected,” he said.

“It was very painful to end the business because of the effort put in, but we had to cut our losses.”

pic5.jpg

Benjamin Heng
Heng still vividly remembers his biggest failed investment, a "six-figure loss", resulting from the closure of his Flowerbed Kitchen & Bar noodle eatery at Far East Square in 2007.

He told The New Paper: "I used my retrenchment package from SPH MediaWorks (when it merged with MediaCorp in 2005) and borrowed some money from immediate family members to help fund this investment."

"It was a very significant loss. In fact, to this day, even though I've recouped (the losses), I'm still recovering (mentally) from it."

pic6.jpg

Jackie Chan
The superstar opened car repair shops, gyms, gift shops and restaurants over two decades ago, but he said they failed because he wasn't savvy enough in business.

He told The Taipei Times: "I thought since I could make movies, I tried business on my own. I didn't know how to calculate, how much things I bought cost, how much a month's rent cost ... I lost several million, then millions again."

He says he now hires professional businessmen to do the nitty-gritty work, while he makes strategic decisions.

pic7.jpg

Andrew Seow
Ex-MediaCorp actor Andrew Seow set up a call-centre company with his friend doing telemarketing for credit cards. He invested $600,000.

After 1 1/2 year's struggle, they eventually closed down the business.

Politely declining to reveal figures of how much he has left after the massive loss of $600,000, he joked to The New Paper: 'My savings are depleted, but I still have enough for rainy days and to buy my coffin!'

pic8.jpg

Loretta Chen
On one of her birthdays, local creative director Loretta Chen found out she had lost close to $200,000 in a business venture.

She had started the business with her elder brother Eric and a close friend in 2008.

pic12.jpg

Hulk Hogan
The wrestler attempted to open a fast-food pasta restaurant, named Pastamania, but it shut down after just a year.

Please hor, other than Jackie Chan and Hulk Hogan who both are known over the world, the rest are not celebrities. They are merely MediaCorp artistes. So for them failing in business, it's not newsworthy at all, it's just like any S'poreans who failed in business. Do not fall into the trap of the S'pore media who calls these people celebrities, they are not. No one knows them outside S'pore, for that matter, many in S'pore also do not know them

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He..He..He.. 2 actors became business partners with Terence Cao.. Both lost their money.. :eek: :rolleyes: Maybe he's so suay.. :p

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please hor, other than Jackie Chan and Hulk Hogan who both are known over the world, the rest are not celebrities. They are merely MediaCorp artistes. So for them failing in business, it's not newsworthy at all, it's just like any S'poreans who failed in business. Do not fall into the trap of the S'pore media who calls these people celebrities, they are not. No one knows them outside S'pore, for that matter, many in S'pore also do not know them

even worse is that they included d list "stars" like benjamin heng whom only acts in supporting roles. To give credit to LNX and terrence well at least they have been leads in quite a number of serials. Zhang yao dong is only one of the more prolific new actors but yes he isn't that famous. That creative director is a total nobody and you are correct hulk and jackie are both know worldwide.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore will also fail becos old fart places a proxy-PM and like an Empress Dowager ruled behind the curtain. When the Dowager up lorry everything goes with her.

He..He..He.. 2 actors became business partners with Terence Cao.. Both lost their money.. :eek: :rolleyes: Maybe he's so suay.. :p

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

hi there

1. bro, bingo!
2. those local so-called celbs just cannot-make-it big time.
3. only small-time telly on sheepishland.
4. cannot even venture into hk.
5. honest, any ah seng, ah fatt or ah kit on the streets of hk can easily beat those specimens pants down!

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Terence cao cb, benjamin heng ...

Is this report about failed celebrities or failed businesses? :confused:
both.:biggrin:

noodles eatery at far east square, these places rental overhyped. havent start business, cough blood liao.:eek:
summore noodles can sell how much.

talkleerean

Alfrescian
Loyal
they are like ants and flies to me. waiting to be swat

talkleerean

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi there

1. bro, bingo!
2. those local so-called celbs just cannot-make-it big time.
3. only small-time telly on sheepishland.
4. cannot even venture into hk.
5. honest, any ah seng, ah fatt or ah kit on the streets of hk can easily beat those specimens pants down!

What is shown on tv is plain recycling of stories and robotic acts by these flies and bees

keling is shit

Alfrescian
Loyal
pic8.jpg

Loretta Chen

............................ seriously i don't know what kind of 'celebrity' she is:confused: this is the very first time i came across her name and her picture.

talkleerean

Alfrescian
Loyal
both.:biggrin:

noodles eatery at far east square, these places rental overhyped. havent start business, cough blood liao.:eek:
summore noodles can sell how much.
No market survey. Faces should not be selling points but noodles are. Suppose the noodles were not tasty and locating in a place where you can sell only 1 meal is suicidal. No more crowds after 5pm weekdays and museum atmosphere on week ends. Yet rentals and utilities do not stop while customers stop coming. Location and taste is important for food business.

talkleerean

Alfrescian
Loyal
............................ seriously i don't know what kind of 'celebrity' she is:confused: this is the very first time i came across her name and her picture.
What preying mantis is that? Only on her birthday that she found the loss. What happened to other 364 days? is she waiting for prey to be in her grasp? Wonders if moderator will delete this or lu lu photo.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't pray pray, Gurmit Singh drive Lamborghini one hoh !

Why in the blue hell did you even mention vomit's name out of the blue? This no talent arrogant hack even wanted to act in channel 8 shows with bad mandarin and even expected the golden horse awards show host to speak to him in english on a chinese awards show and this asshole is a chup cheng mixed with chinese.