• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ex-Singaporeans/Overseas Singaporean forum

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This forum is for those who are contempting migration. How about a forum for those who have migrated?

I know that some Singaporeans who do not really want to look back after leaving Singapore. But I am sure we can find some who will want to post about their lives in their adopted countries.

If only we have an "Ex-Singaporeans/Overseas Singaporean forum" such as the PomsInPerth forums.
Does anyone know or use one?
Do not like the one sponsored by the Sinkee govt.

I think it will be fun to share information from a Singaporean perspective.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This forum is for those who are contempting migration. How about a forum for those who have migrated?

A sub-forum, "Ex-Singaporeans/Overseas Singaporean forum", under "Sam's Alfresco Coffee" will be nice.

I just found out that there might be a ECU Singaporean Club here after all, but most members appears to come from China, whose parents work in Singapore.
I might be wrong. But these people speak Singlish and have perfect Mandarin.

There will come a time where Singaporeans are former FTs and the REAL true-blue Singaporeans have migrated. :biggrin:

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
A sub-forum, "Ex-Singaporeans/Overseas Singaporean forum", under "Sam's Alfresco Coffee" will be nice.

I just found out that there might be a ECU Singaporean Club here after all, but most members appears to come from China, whose parents work in Singapore.
I might be wrong. But these people speak Singlish and have perfect Mandarin.

There will come a time where Singaporeans are former FTs and the REAL true-blue Singaporeans have migrated. :biggrin:

good idea. i have just created a new forum on delphiforums.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/sgmigrant

hope you can write there.. of course, i will moderate it.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal

I know that some Singaporeans who do not really want to look back after leaving Singapore. But I am sure we can find some who will want to post about their lives in their adopted countries.

If only we have an "Ex-Singaporeans/Overseas Singaporean forum" such as the PomsInPerth forums.

Speaking to my spore friend, Spore has changed a lot (for worse) since i left in mid 2008.

- more and more crowded (5 mil+)
- housing prices escalated (average $400k+ for a 20 year old 4 bedroom hdb flat). Condos on average 1 mil onwards
- hdb rule changes (one must sell away hdb if upgrading to condo) due to limited supply and population increases.
- wages for sporeans remain stagnant.
- 40% of FTs earn at least USD$200k a year.

whats there to look forward for Migrated Sporeans of their homeland;-

- hawker food (which can be get used to after a while)
- family & friends (can't substitute family, hard to make new friends/or become close friends, but here at least workmates do get together , help each other and keep in touch for better or worse)
- FT equivalent salary (US$200k, you do get calls once in a while and very tempting but might feel dissapointed you won't get the same expat FT salary and the hiring boss is a ah neh)
- low personal tax

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Speaking to my spore friend, Spore has changed a lot (for worse) since i left in mid 2008.

whats there to look forward for Migrated Sporeans of their homeland;-

I am actually quite relieved to know that there are migrated Singaporeans who are interested to share their post-Singapore experience.

I have almost forgotten how easy policies change in Singapore to suit the govt there.
Living under the current politics & media in Australia, we are able to see how "immature" the Singapore politics are. Perhaps I have grown cynical about the Aussie media, but I am nevertheless surprise at the lack of scrutiny in Singapore govt.

Finally, glad that I am outside Singapore. What is the point of earning so much money when I have to face petty people.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am actually quite relieved to know that there are migrated Singaporeans who are interested to share their post-Singapore experience.

I have almost forgotten how easy policies change in Singapore to suit the govt there.
Living under the current politics & media in Australia, we are able to see how "immature" the Singapore politics are. Perhaps I have grown cynical about the Aussie media, but I am nevertheless surprise at the lack of scrutiny in Singapore govt.

Finally, glad that I am outside Singapore. What is the point of earning so much money when I have to face petty people.

In Sydney, sporeans are less homesick.

- Chinatown very 'happening' at night , almost every friday they have night markets, can buy bbq pork there.
- long working hours are expected in certain industry / organisation., including weekend work. Sydneysiders probably work the longest hours in Australia, stress level can be high.
- Asians & Asian eateries everywhere.

however, employers do at least show better humanlity
- they show appreciation on staff working overtime/weekend.
- flexible working hours
- other than the usual office politics & some bad eggs, people show more respect of each other in workplace. regular feedback(good or bad) is a norm. in spore, managers avoid providing any feedback till something screw up badly.

After a while u don't really compare or notice a lot of differences anymore - just go enjoy the scenic, weekend getaway, breathing fresh air, enjoy the free things in life (beaches, parks, festivals, baywatch, country driving), but once you'll step in Spore you probably would want to turn back and take the next plane back to Oz with the humidity and human traffic.

Dole43

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fantastic suggestion for an overseas s'porean forum. It'll be a great venue for posting heads ups on changes in official policies for CPF withdrawal, NS obligation, property ownership, passport renewals that can affect those who still have ties to s'pore.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Ex-Singaporeans / Overseas Singaporeans forum

contemplating migration
or considering emigration

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
No forum can work if you keep keep feeding the trolls. They have latched on to you because you are the most responsive. You provide well crafted replies in the belief that it is intelligent but they are not looking for it. They are looking for a permanent engagement and you never fail to provide them.

Notice the forum coming back to life when you are told not to reply.

For the sake of the rest, do to try to avoid responding to the trolls. Alternatively take up Fishbuff's offer to move to Delphi as he can moderate the forum.

By the way, before you suggested it, this forum had a mix of both - those planning and those who have already migrated.

I.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
No forum can work if you keep keep feeding the trolls. They have latched on to you because you are the most responsive. You provide well crafted replies in the belief that it is intelligent but they are not looking for it. They are looking for a permanent engagement and you never fail to provide them.

Notice the forum coming back to life when you are told not to reply.

For the sake of the rest, do to try to avoid responding to the trolls. Alternatively take up Fishbuff's offer to move to Delphi as he can moderate the forum.

By the way, before you suggested it, this forum had a mix of both - those planning and those who have already migrated.

some of the trolls are really demented, spewing words on demise on other forumers' families. and the owner of this forum just sit there and do nothing about it. that is why i am really hesitant to share here.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal

This wont happen. Most Sinkies migrated to gain cheap subsidized uni fees for their children. Cannot afford 4 years of overseas uni fees for each children so chow kar sinkies migrate his whole family, including himself and stoop there temproary.

These chow ker sinkies stoop in Anglo countries until their children completed unis and then re-migrate back to Sinkiland. So lau qui man to join form any forum?

Sinkies where got loyalty? Not even to PAP. If PAP slacks you will see Sinkie will vote out PAP and where got loyalty one!!!

greatjoy88

Alfrescian
Loyal
I only drive toyota car for the last 30 years , every 3 years change model, I will still buy Toyota. Does it mean I am loyal to Toyota?
If Pap know how to take care of it citizen from cradle to grave, I think we will be loyal to them. Look at the policies today, does it benefit the ordinary man in the street?
dont talk about loyalty here,even communist vietnam will provide free housing , medical care for retiree ex civil servant or teacher.

We are not asking for free handout from our Government, but our basic rights and freedom. How many of us really believe we will live to enjoy our fruit of labour (CPF)???
FAT hope, if you want to enjoy your old age make sure there is some eggs in the nest

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. It actually the same guy with over 9 different with same IP. Its our back luck that this guy just ended up in this forum. One guy that has literally emptied a once vibrant folder. Interestingly more people are relocating and migrating now than in the 1990s and no one wants to come in to share.

I have never seen one guy obsessed with oz like this guy.

some of the trolls are really demented, spewing words on demise on other forumers' families. and the owner of this forum just sit there and do nothing about it. that is why i am really hesitant to share here.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Really a sad case. Almost as if his life and reputation hinges on his perceived popularity amongst Internet clones. Can the be something done about it?

Agree. It actually the same guy with over 9 different with same IP. Its our back luck that this guy just ended up in this forum. One guy that has literally emptied a once vibrant folder. Interestingly more people are relocating and migrating now than in the 1990s and no one wants to come in to share.

I have never seen one guy obsessed with oz like this guy.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really a sad case. Almost as if his life and reputation hinges on his perceived popularity amongst Internet clones. Can the be something done about it?

I was constantly banned by the trolls for no freaking reason.. its really sad, I rarely visit sammy forum these days..

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was constantly banned by the trolls for no freaking reason.. its really sad, I rarely visit sammy forum these days..

Better now lah, I don't get banned at all now after the revamped. :wink: That other guy, you know who, even send me a private message saying I would be banned on a particular date etc. Turns out he could issued the infractions but I could also come in later. So all is well now.

As for the demented trolls destroying this forum, its sad but true. The trolls have even gone to the extend of leaving private, public messages in your personal folders. One repeated message every min. Ignore list works, but there is nothing much you could do other then delete the message he leaves you after that. Kind of weird seeing the dedication this troll has on the emigration folder. Not even sure if they have a life other then spamming, harassing people in here.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Better now lah, I don't get banned at all now after the revamped. :wink: That other guy, you know who, even send me a private message saying I would be banned on a particular date etc. Turns out he could issued the infractions but I could also come in later. So all is well now.

As for the demented trolls destroying this forum, its sad but true. The trolls have even gone to the extend of leaving private, public messages in your personal folders. One repeated message every min. Ignore list works, but there is nothing much you could do other then delete the message he leaves you after that. Kind of weird seeing the dedication this troll has on the emigration folder. Not even sure if they have a life other then spamming, harassing people in here.

Jealousy caused humans to react differently.. to an extend, they need to bring their father, mother and family into play.

Hey, despite the above, "happy life" goes on..