• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Empty YOG seats on TV

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Badminton YOG on TV

Then it will be the start of diluting the chinese culture and history that gave rise to the various chinese character. Most people will not bother to differentiate them and the history will disappear over time.

For example, the character "李", it means the son of the forest; forefathers of people with this surname were refugees after they lost a war and escaped into the forest. They hid in the forest and were able to find food, build shelter etc. to survive. Thus, these guys honor the forest with such a character.

Whereas "黎", with the same HYPY..... the origins are different.

Of course, this is a no brainer, but if we go just by HYPY, the historical significance of each character will be lost.

People feel confused because they dont undestand. Learn it and it will give a new dimension to ones comprehension.

I've never professed to know everything and I don't know where you and some others get that idea from. I'm just discussing an opinion.

Of course, Romanization even with tone marks can't fully distinguish different Chinese with all the homonyms. Same case as in Japanese, even at a worse position since they're monotone. However, standardising in one set of Romanisation system (i.e. HYPY) instead of adding complication to confusion is a good way to start with.

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal

I've never professed to know everything and I don't know where you and some others get that idea from. I'm just discussing an opinion.

Of course, Romanization even with tone marks can't fully distinguish different Chinese with all the homonyms. Same case as in Japanese, even at a worse position since they're monotone. However, standardising in one set of Romanisation system (i.e. HYPY) instead of adding complication to confusion is a good way to start with.

Wah 1 more nuke missile whacking on the hide of ramseth. Don't worry whack all you can his skin super duper thick one and can even whack you back. :eek:

Did you see his response to you.

He is like a forked-tongue snake. First he says Hanyu Pinyin is less confusing than using the dialects, which of course, goes without saying because you are simply using one dialect instead of multiple ones. Now he is just repeating what I said and making it seem like he said that all along. An arrogant bastard, I don't think he has many friends in real life (yes, this is just my opinion).

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Then it will be the start of diluting the chinese culture and history that gave rise to the various chinese character. Most people will not bother to differentiate them and the history will disappear over time.

For example, the character "李", it means the son of the forest; forefathers of people with this surname were refugees after they lost a war and escaped into the forest. They hid in the forest and were able to find food, build shelter etc. to survive. Thus, these guys honor the forest with such a character.

Of course, this is a no brainer, but if we go just by HYPY, the historical significance of each character will be lost.

People feel confused because they dont undestand. Learn it and it will give a new dimension to ones comprehension.

There's no optimally satisfactory solution for all, I agree. Because we're Romanising. The actual names should be written in Chinese characters, not Roman letters, but such is this world that it has come to. Romanised version of name is the common international standard, like it or not.

Why bicker over it? 李 is 李 loaded with traditional meaning only when written in character. Writing it as Li or Lee or Lei means nothing except for convenience's sake in a world where romanisation is currency. Just like a Japanese understand, e.g. Tanaka is just 6 Roman letters for convenience but 田中 is his surname. PRC Chinese understand that too.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I didn't know that story about lee. Where fo you read up on these and I prefer in English cos my Chinese isn't so good. Btw wat about 吴 surname? I hear it's the name of a kingdom

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
they anyhow bluff the public, saying that there are so many tickets snapped up. in actual fact, the tickets were mostly snapped up by the schools (using public funds). funny thing is, there's still so many empty seats?

maybe the schools ran out of budget to charter buses to send their students to the venues.... HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
Normally i would agreed with u but this is 7th month....look closely it's full house :eek:

U think our bros and sis from the netherworld so free to spend their precious book-out time on these crappy events is it? They've got only one month here, and I'm sure they would maximise their precious time to the fullest instead of wasting it on such fark up games! :mad: