• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Emigration Matters: Advice Needed + My Thoughts

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Indeed, the Vietnamese food here are authentic! some say the thai, lebanese, korean food are even better then back home.

Even in Perth, Singapore visitors are surprised with the authentic food - bacause they are mainly operated by the ethnic communities themselves.
When I bought the visitors to the Korean BBQ, they are surprised at the number of times the restaurant change our burnt charcoal grill (In Singapore, they use aluminium foil and charge extra for replacement)

It is mainly the Japanese food that Singapore/HK/Malaysians try to emulate. Still, we are able to get authentic Japanese food, just that Sydney has much better variety and quality.

They have perfected the art of balancing work and leisure. In short, I feel happy.
My wife is very supportive of my decision and we have decided to do something about it rather than regretting after 10 years. :smile:

The main thing is the support. Sydney is a major first world city and it has its shares of complexity - bogans and low-life. Just take the usual precautions. I was robbed in Singapore before. No one came to my help.

Yes, those Vietnamese foodshops in blacktown serves really authentic Vietnamese food. There are plenty of Vietnamese in western Sydney and Im sure my wife will love the place :biggrin:

There are Vietnamese "towns"/suburbs in all major Aussie cities.
Many of these ex-refugees have gone on to become respected people such as the deputy governor of South Australia, doctors, pharmacists and dentists.

Anh Do and 'The Happiest Refugee'
http://www.redlantern.com.au/
http://www.sbs.com.au/shows/lukenguyen/watchonline/page/i/1/show/lukenguyen

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Re: Emigration Matters: Advice Needed + My Thoughtsua

Even in Perth, Singapore visitors are surprised with the authentic food - bacause they are mainly operated by the ethnic

There are Vietnamese "towns"/suburbs in all major Aussie cities.
Many of these ex-refugees have gone on to become respected people such as the deputy governor of South Australia, doctors, pharmacists and dentists.

Anh Do and 'The Happiest Refugee'
http://www.redlantern.com.au/
http://www.sbs.com.au/shows/lukenguyen/watchonline/page/i/1/show/lukenguyen

Perth is our choice of city :wink: and she has a aunt living there. I have came across an ex singaporean who seek refuge in the 70s and he is happily settle down in Sydney. My next question will bring out the trolls again but I still want to ask.
I do not have any skills that meet the skill shortage list and I'm realistic that my chance is zero. However im unwilling to just sit back and whine. I'm face with 2 choices now. ACCA or higher nitec in electrical engineering. Both qualifications gets me 60 points. Has anyone come across successful migration using the 2 qualifications? My wife has a Malay colleague and her husband was with SIA many years doing technical works for the planes and they got their PR in just 1 try.

Catherina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Perth is our choice of city :wink: and she has a aunt living there. I have came across an ex singaporean who seek refuge in the 70s and he is happily settle down in Sydney. My next question will bring out the trolls again but I still want to ask.
I do not have any skills that meet the skill shortage list and I'm realistic that my chance is zero. However im unwilling to just sit back and whine. I'm face with 2 choices now. ACCA or higher nitec in electrical engineering. Both qualifications gets me 60 points. Has anyone come across successful migration using the 2 qualifications? My wife has a Malay colleague and her husband was with SIA many years doing technical works for the planes and they got their PR in just 1 try.

hello Dreamer

Sorry to say you will not qualified. Australia have no needs for foreign trash like you too. better you concentrate on your carreer here n start a family n defend SG and the foreign trash. Hv a good weekend @ Joo Chiat.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

I was faced with the same situation 7 years ago. My points for Australia PR qualification was minus 60. I thought of becoming a nurse.

You might want to try approaching a migration agent. Give him whatever skills you have. He might be able to find out whether there are any countries that will give you PR. You never know if those countries might be somewhere you would like to settle down. Australia didn't want me but Canada did, which is why I am here in Canada now.

Trademen qualifications suprisingly are more valuable when it comes to getting a job in places like Australia and Canada. But professional type qualifications are the ones that tend to get you PR. This is a generalization though. Get more information.

What about your wife? Maybe you can qualify through her qualifications? You mentioned she studied in Singapore? I can understand if you don't wish to share what background you come from but it would help us to advise you better.

My background is medical.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Is your wife's aunt living in the northern suburbs? eg Mirrabooka, Alexandra Heights, etc - these are where Vietnamese live. Their communities settled in these areas.

Different cities in Australia have different characteristics. Perth tend to be dry and we are having an early heatwave (usu last less than a week) at this moment - 39*C.

For WA, you may want to look at this. http://www.dtwd.wa.gov.au/skilledmigration/detcms/portal/

Don't believe too much about the marketing words used by the govt to promote the state, just believe your own eyes if you come to visit or what your aunt-in-law says, it can get rather boring here if you are the city type.

You also need to consider the cost of living in Perth. The side effects of the resources boom and US's Fed Reserve policies.

Immigration policies have changed because we have too many Indians and Chinese who are causing immigration problems.

But we are short of workers, so this state is coming out with its own migration plan.

State Migration Plan

5 October 2010
The Government of Western Australia's State Migration Plan is currently with the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship for final sign off. The Plan will introduce the Western Australian Skilled Migration Occupations List.
Details of the State Migration Plan, State Sponsorship criteria and the re-opening of applications for State Sponsorship will be available on the website in the coming weeks.

Keep checking our website for updates on the release of the State Migration Plan.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

I was faced with the same situation 7 years ago. My points for Australia PR qualification was minus 60. I thought of becoming a nurse.

Yes, I did tried to persuade my wife to take up nursing but she was not willing. Both of us only have a general degree in business and that is useless when it comes to scoring points for immigration. That is why we are looking to start our ACCA in January. Frankly speaking, I do not mind doing carer jobs in nursing homes. When I was in Sydney, I had came across alot of people from S.E.A doing carer jobs in old folks home.We are not afraid of hardships But we need to know how to start and where to start. ACCA takes about 3-4 years to complete. Is there another faster qualification available?

Don't believe too much about the marketing words used by the govt to promote the state, just believe your own eyes if you come to visit or what your aunt-in-law says, it can get rather boring here if you are the city type.

We are very quiet and rural people. When we go for travels, our choices is always to see the mountains and the seas. Singapore is getting way too crowded for our liking. For your info, if you take the train in Singapore at 11pm at night, the train will still be pack. This is how crowded this place has become. A 4 room new flat costs just 200K-250K 4 years ago. Today, the starting price starts at 350k.
Unfortunately, my wife's family is not particularly close to her aunt's. So we do not have much help or advice from her aunt.
But I would like to thank most of you for your kind advice especially yourself and brother nayr69sg. Have a nice weekend :biggrin:

heartlander

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is the point of having good students who never grow up to face the real life.

I don't think the educational system here is perfect either. But for someone to dislike it for no reason other than he failed in it, is bullshit.

BTW, I have spent years overseas, and I can tell you that no educational system prepares you for the real world. Some systems focus more on speech and communication, but the difference in results don't amount to much. Much of the angmoh's supposed outspokenness and eloquence are due in large part to their culture, not their system.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's a really dumb thing to do. Millions of Chinese are struggling to learn English. You should be making every effort to help them along rather than to communicate in a Language that only a few countries embrace.:rolleyes:

Dickhead, millions of ang mohs are learning mandarin.

When 1 billion people, in only 1 country, with a 4,000 years old language, and no. 1 world exporters, hello! you shd take up mandarins too.

You think the French will speak English to you in their homeland France, the Italian will speak English in Rome, Spanish will speak english in Spain.

SEA will always be nominated by Chinese in trading, the English has been driven out by LKY himself and why is he still licking the English dicks and want Sinkie to speak his ex-colonial master English well!

HK people has been colonized by Pommies for 200 years and they fucked the English language off, still stick to their own lingo Cantonese, and write and read Chinese, and they still perform ecomomical better than Sinkie, why? I am sure it is not language problem.

The English has their own economy to keep their quality of life and life styles. The Oscar awards amd movies are made for their own English people. Harry Potter books and movies is an English product for their English people consumption. English people like to embrace and love their own people and when one Englishman can come up with something interesting the whole nation will support it. When they go about colonized other nations they want only resources and are least interested to learn the native languages or cultures, including Chinese. English will support their own skin and even sell opium to the Chinese as long as their Master (Queen) endorsed and legalised it. They want to kill the Chinese with opiums.

Ang moh clever to camaflauge themselves and called in various names to confused you. White Americans, Canadians, Australians, White South Africans and New Zelanders are from the same stock, English. As a whole they form one big economy and enough to keep themselve busy.

Far East Asian economy is also big enough to keep quality of life and life styles of each Asian countries and why shd one small country like Singapore try to sneak into English economy and struggle with to learn their langauge.

Move on, there are many Asian products not suitable for English consumptions and vice versa. Many Sinkies migrants in Aussies don't patroinize much Aussies pubs and clubs (except for lou fu kay- jackpot m/c) and eat Assuies pub food and vice versa for ang mohs.

terry t

Alfrescian
Loyal
Goodday Mike, I need advise, I m 40 yr old man, hav a wife 42 yr old and 2 children 8 and 12 yr old. wanted to emigrate, any chance?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Dickhead, millions of ang mohs are learning mandarin.

When 1 billion people, in only 1 country, with a 4,000 years old language, and no. 1 world exporters, hello! you shd take up mandarins too.

I think it's absolutely disgraceful that after more than 4000 years, the only people who speak mandarin are the Chinese and a handful of Chinese wannabes (eg Singaporeans).

On the other hand, the English have succeeded in spreading the use of the English language far and wide to the point where it is considered a true global language. Mandarin doesn't even come close!

Countries where English is a major language

English is the primary language in Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, the British Indian Ocean Territory, the British Virgin Islands, Canada, the Cayman Islands, Dominica, the Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Grenada, Guam, Guernsey, Guyana, Ireland , The Isle of Man, Jamaica, Jersey, Montserrat, Nauru, New Zealand, Pitcairn Islands, Saint Helena, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Singapore, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, Trinidad and Tobago, the Turks and Caicos Islands, the United Kingdom and the United States.
In some countries where English is not the most spoken language, it is an official language; these countries include Botswana, Cameroon, the Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gambia, Ghana, India, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malta, the Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Namibia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, the Philippines (Philippine English), Rwanda, Saint Lucia, Samoa, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, the Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, the Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
It is also one of the 11 official languages that are given equal status in South Africa (South African English). English is also the official language in current dependent territories of Australia (Norfolk Island, Christmas Island and Cocos Island) and of the United States (American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands),<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-58">[59]</sup> and the former British colony of Hong Kong. (See List of countries where English is an official language for more details.)
English is not an official language in either the United States or the United Kingdom.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-59">[60]</sup><sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-60">[61]</sup> Although the United States federal government has no official languages, English has been given official status by 30 of the 50 state governments.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-61">[62]</sup> Although falling short of official status, English is also an important language in several former colonies and protectorates of the United Kingdom, such as Bahrain, Bangladesh, Brunei, Cyprus, Malaysia, and the United Arab Emirates. English is not an official language of Israel, but is taken as a required second language at all schools and therefore widely spoken.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-62">[63]</sup>
[edit] English as a global language

See also: English in computing, International English, and World language
Because English is so widely spoken, it has often been referred to as a "world language", the lingua franca of the modern era,<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-Graddol_20-2">[21]</sup> and while it is not an official language in most countries, it is currently the language most often taught as a foreign language. Some linguists believe that it is no longer the exclusive cultural property of "native English speakers", but is rather a language that is absorbing aspects of cultures worldwide as it continues to grow.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-Graddol_20-3">[21]</sup> It is, by international treaty, the official language for aerial and maritime communications.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-63">[64]</sup> English is an official language of the United Nations and many other international organisations, including the International Olympic Committee.
English is the language most often studied as a foreign language in the European Union, by 89% of schoolchildren, ahead of French at 32%, while the perception of the usefulness of foreign languages amongst Europeans is 68% in favour of English ahead of 25% for French.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-srv06_64-0">[65]</sup> Among some non-English speaking EU countries, a large percentage of the adult population can converse in English — in particular: 85% in Sweden, 83% in Denmark, 79% in the Netherlands, 66% in Luxembourg and over 50% in Finland, Slovenia, Austria, Belgium, and Germany.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-65">[66]</sup>
Books, magazines, and newspapers written in English are available in many countries around the world, and English is the most commonly used language in the sciences<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-Graddol_20-4">[21]</sup> with Science Citation Index reporting as early as 1997 that 95% of its articles were written in English, even though only half of them came from authors in English-speaking countries.
This increasing use of the English language globally has had a large impact on many other languages, leading to language shift and even language death,<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-66">[67]</sup> and to claims of linguistic imperialism.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-one_67-0">[68]</sup> English itself is now open to language shift as multiple regional varieties feed back into the language as a whole.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-one_67-1">[68]</sup> For this reason, the 'English language is forever evolving'.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-68">[69]</sup>

heartlander

Alfrescian
Loyal

You might want to try approaching a migration agent. Give him whatever skills you have. He might be able to find out whether there are any countries that will give you PR. You never know if those countries might be somewhere you would like to settle down. Australia didn't want me but Canada did, which is why I am here in Canada now.

Trademen qualifications suprisingly are more valuable when it comes to getting a job in places like Australia and Canada. But professional type qualifications are the ones that tend to get you PR. This is a generalization though. Get more information.

What about your wife? Maybe you can qualify through her qualifications? You mentioned she studied in Singapore? I can understand if you don't wish to share what background you come from but it would help us to advise you better.

My background is medical.

doctors seem to be in hot demand by aussie immigration right now. did the policy change so radically in 7 years?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

doctors seem to be in hot demand by aussie immigration right now. did the policy change so radically in 7 years?

doctors are in hot demand everywhere.

Australia wants doctors to come and work there but go back to their own countries after 4 years. No PR.

Canada gives the PR outright. Actually Alberta has changed some of its rules for family doctors as of Jan 2010. If I had done some official training program in family medicine I would be able to practice right away. But when I applied 7 years ago there was no such scheme.

Maybe Australia has changed their programs now I am not sure but I am already settled in Canada.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

State Migration Plan

5 October 2010
The Government of Western Australia's State Migration Plan is currently with the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship for final sign off. The Plan will introduce the Western Australian Skilled Migration Occupations List.
Details of the State Migration Plan, State Sponsorship criteria and the re-opening of applications for State Sponsorship will be available on the website in the coming weeks.

Keep checking our website for updates on the release of the State Migration Plan.

Is the state sponsored migration back again? I thought it was frozen? My friend applied for that like a year ago and is still waiting for a reply to it. Maybe I should tell him to check WA out instead of Adelaide.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it's absolutely disgraceful that after more than 4000 years, the only people who speak mandarin are the Chinese and a handful of Chinese wannabes (eg Singaporeans).

Ah Sam, what makes it even more disgraceful is that Singaporean can neither speak proper Mandarin nor English. The multiple "language" campaign over years have not raised the Mandarin or English standard an iota. Are Singaporean doomed to be in this state?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is the state sponsored migration back again? I thought it was frozen? My friend applied for that like a year ago and is still waiting for a reply to it. Maybe I should tell him to check WA out instead of Adelaide.

It really depends on the demand for immigration at state level and whether a 'democractic' govt can get things moving or not.

doctors are in hot demand everywhere.

Australia wants doctors to come and work there but go back to their own countries after 4 years. No PR.

Canada gives the PR outright. Actually Alberta has changed some of its rules for family doctors as of Jan 2010. If I had done some official training program in family medicine I would be able to practice right away. But when I applied 7 years ago there was no such scheme.

Maybe Australia has changed their programs now I am not sure but I am already settled in Canada.

Policies changes all the time. The trouble is that there will never be enough doctors for the western aging population. The sooner the pollies figure that out, the better.

Move on, there are many Asian products not suitable for English consumptions and vice versa. Many Sinkies migrants in Aussies don't patroinize much Aussies pubs and clubs (except for lou fu kay- jackpot m/c) and eat Assuies pub food and vice versa for ang mohs.
Each communities have their leisure outlets, but you cannot deny the multicultural influence, esp the Italian food. Anyone for extra virgin olive oil & balsamic vineger on ciabatta? mama mia.

I use a tagine for Moroccan food, saffron for my spanish Seafood paella. My knowledge of the cultures of the world has improved. If you believe the German, sausages should never be bangers - so chear-olf British food.

Last edited:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal

On the other hand, the English have succeeded in spreading the use of the English language far and wide to the point where it is considered a true global language. Mandarin doesn't even come close!

These are countries invaded and raided by Pommies now so call Commonwealth countries. You have to remember Chinese people are everywhere.

Without barbaric invasions, muderers, killing and colonizations of native lands this Pomie language will just be like the Greek country, only country that pseak Greek.

If the Chinese were as aggresive as the Pommies, the Chinese will conquered the world even Europe and chow ang moh where got chance to fight the Chinese, Ghanis Khan invaded Europe before.

So you happy to use English where these bastard Pommies invaded, killed and colonised your native lands and forced you to speak their language, and today become world language!!!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
If the Chinese were as aggresive as the Pommies, the Chinese will conquered the world

Hats off to the Pommies for their success in colonising countries across the globe. That's what alpha personalities do. It's part of human nature to have the desire to project ones influence far and wide. Why this trait is lacking amongst the Chinese would make for an interesting study. Is it nature, nurture or a bit of both?

The Chinese are meek and insular by nature. Very few are trail blazers. They prefer to follow in the footsteps of the whites. When they arrived in a white city, they'd huddle together isolated from the rest of society and keep largely to themselves.

The same traits are often on display in Singapore with the ethnic Chinese grumbling on a daily basis about how unfair the govt is while doing absolutely nothing about their lot.

Even in cyberspace, the Chinese are content with playing "follow the white leader". EG Youku follows in the footsteps of Youtube, Baidu duplicates Google and so on.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hats off to the Pommies for their success in colonising countries across the globe. That's what alpha personalities do. It's part of human nature to have the desire to project ones influence far and wide. Why this trait is lacking amongst the Chinese would make for an interesting study. Is it nature, nurture or a bit of both?

The Chinese are meek and insular by nature. Very few are trail blazers. They prefer to follow in the footsteps of the whites. When they arrived in a white city, they'd huddle together isolated from the rest of society and keep largely to themselves.

The same traits are often on display in Singapore with the ethnic Chinese grumbling on a daily basis about how unfair the govt is while doing absolutely nothing about their lot.

Even in cyberspace, the Chinese are content with playing "follow the white leader". EG Youku follows in the footsteps of Youtube, Baidu duplicates Google and so on.

So you think the Pomies did not isolated and clustered themselves when in foreign lands?

Why do Pommies only lived in Dist 9, shopped in Orchard Rd only during their colonial occupation period.

Hey! you think Pommies very brave! they are worst than cowards and behave like gansters. They bring their own laws and disrespect native laws and still shamelessly occuppied the native lands.

Where did Cold Storage Shopping come from in Orchard Road? Build by Whites so they can buy their own native products and the money goes back to Europe.

Where did trains and railway transport come from? All these were from Pommies unsustainable product inventions and when you rejected their industrialized toxic and polluted products they come to kill, invade and colonised then forced you to use them.

You must be blind to say Chinese are meek and insular by nature. Go do more research on Chinese histories in commerce, businesses and inventions.

Hey hello! Ang Moh a bit of knowing something new like to show off and know how to use media to bombard their inventions. Chinese already far ahead of them in sciences and technologies and only you are sleeping with the ang mohs waiting ang moh to tell you and massage your arse and make you feel nice .... hehehe

Why the Chinese did not go to the moon? Already can see from here that moon has nothing on it. If there are human like people on the moon, Chinese willl be first to go to the moon thousand of years ago.
So is Ang moh are better than the Chinese becos they go to the moon? So what happenped to the moon, after spending millions fo dollars going to the moon?

Hey hello! everyday millions of Chinese pang sia 'shits' and shits can only go down in 1 direction-down so why bother! But ang mohs give you new science theory, and must come from one ang moh Newton, sitting below an apple tree and an apple dropped onto his head and discover gravity!

Tiu leh lo moh! What so good about angmohs when the Chinese can do better and even if CHinese live in ang moh lands, the angmoh no fight with the Chinese in many areas.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
So you think the Pomies did not isolated and clustered themselves when in foreign lands?

They didn't isolate themselves you twit. They took over the countries they colonised. It stands to reason that they also occupied the choice areas and kept the uncouth natives and peasants as far away as possible. After all they were the ruling elite. We all know where LKY learned the tricks of the trade. He does the same thing today.

You should also thank your lucky stars the Ang Mohs imported Chinese coolies into Singapore. Otherwise, most of Singapore's ethnic Chinese population would still be sleeping with their pigs and chickens in rural China.

The Chinese were excellent workers too. They didn't need wages. The British simply plied them with opium and they'd bow to wishes of their white masters without question knowing full well they depended upon the Poms for their next fix.

The situation remains the same today with US manufacturers doing all their assembly in China where they pay the chinks slave labour rates to work themselves to death.

Watch the video and you'll see what I mean. As far as I can see, the Chinese will invariably end up being exploited by the West for a long time to come. The methods of exploitation may change with the passing of time but the pecking order will remain status quo.

<embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-6733564947664645042&hl=en&fs=true" style="width: 400px; height: 326px;" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">