• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Elite SPG: Exams Build Character

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jun 4, 2010

A student's take on why P1 exams count

<!-- by line --><!-- end by line -->
<!-- end left side bar --><!-- story content : start -->
I AM a JC 1 student in Hwa Chong Institution and I am not supportive of the removal of end-of-semester examinations for Primary 1 pupils.
As a student who went through examinations since Primary 1, I believe that examinations do help in character development. When students prepare for examinations, they have to learn how to absorb a larger amount of information in a given time. This means they have to deal with the stress and anxiety that come along with examinations.
It is good that students learn how to deal with "negative" emotions at a young age because all these take time to learn. Students have to master the art of discipline to get themselves to study, and the ability to be resilient and not to panic when they encounter difficult problems during the examinations. This can start from young, for example, in Primary 1.
It is true that we can teach a child to be exam-smart. However, it takes practice to learn discipline, resilience and the skill to stay calm in times of difficulty. Thus examinations do not focus only on academic performance - they also hone the positive character traits of a child.
I do not recall any trauma from taking my Primary 1 examinations. Besides even if the child does not do well, there are always the parents and the teachers to support him and get him back on his feet.
Joven Liew (Miss)

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with her fully. The Australian school system has its first formal examinations at A and not O level. Its now a basket case and no longer considered a 1st world country and I doubt it even fits within the rankings of a 3rd world country. They only managed to get 19 nobel prizes with a population of 20 Million. Imagine if they began formal examination at Primary 1, they might get one or two each year. Character development wise, you can see they are badly affected. They speak pidgin english, spit in public, urinate in lifts, queue for free things, and even pyjamas to wet market on a Sunday morning.

The worst part is they can't even spell satire let alone know the meaning of it and not to mention having weird Christians names that do not have link to any culture.

F

Falcon Seven

Exams do help to build character and a sense of urgency. Besides, what is the big hoo-ha over Pri 1 exams when they do not even count except for the report book. Parents should take these exams as a form of standard check for their kids and a wake-up call for the poorer grades students.

F

Falcon Seven

Agree with her fully. The Australian school system has its first formal examinations at A and not O level. Its now a basket case and no longer considered a 1st world country and I doubt it even fits within the rankings of a 3rd world country. They only managed to get 19 nobel prizes with a population of 20 Million. Imagine if they began formal examination at Primary 1, they might get one or two each year. Character development wise, you can see they are badly affected. They speak pidgin english, spit in public, urinate in lifts, queue for free things, and even pyjamas to wet market on a Sunday morning.

The worst part is they can't even spell satire let alone know the meaning of it and not to mention having weird Christians names that do not have link to any culture.

That is not the only factor. It is also their lazy and relaxed mindsets that they are quite behind the US and UK.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scroobal, this forum does not recognise satire, even when you are screaming the word at them. Please re-write your paper. Thanks

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. I rather listen to Kong Hee's sermons which are exciting and watch his wife's performances which are motivational and inspiring. Best part is that I don't have to think. The last part is a bonus.

scroobal writing is beri boring.....i hardly read them at all....if he beri chiong hei..:biggrin:

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
hwa chong now co-ed? or allow transexuals? how come got Joven Liew (Miss) in boys school

facial

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can we ask all the multimillion ministers sit for their "A" exams again and those that fail cannot stand for election? :biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
Can we ask all the multimillion ministers sit for their "A" exams again and those that fail cannot stand for election? :biggrin:
It would be better if they take exams for specific subjects at specific levels.
For example, some should have to sit for their PSLE english exams, some should have to sit for their O levels chinese exams.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Australians are full of craps. They won only 46 medals (17 gold) in Olympic 2008, less than half the haul of peasants of China (100 medals, 51 gold). Ranking world 6th, even behind USA, Russia, Britain and Germany. They thanked their lucky star that they finished ahead of Italy and France.

They also qualified for World Cup 2010 by cheating. They should have stayed in Oceania zone and get knocked out by New Zealand. Instead, they came over to Asia zone, robbing one Asian qualifying berth off Singapore.

Romagnum

Alfrescian
Loyal
what is important is to move your bowels twice daily - at the very least once a day. the faeces shud not be hard, it shud be slightly soft, lots of roughage and fluids would help. after that you wouldn't be so anal - whether australian, singaporean or reptilian

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree, Its absolute disgrace - 6th rank. Its only in sports but their economy is the only in the 20 of the top economy that did not go into recession during the last global financial crisis. How hard is it to drop the economy output. Even Singapore went into recession. I suspect that one factor is the quality of their cabinet.

Australians are full of craps. They won only 46 medals (17 gold) in Olympic 2008, less than half the haul of peasants of China (100 medals, 51 gold). Ranking world 6th, even behind USA, Russia, Britain and Germany. They thanked their lucky star that they finished ahead of Italy and France.

They also qualified for World Cup 2010 by cheating. They should have stayed in Oceania zone and get knocked out by New Zealand. Instead, they came over to Asia zone, robbing one Asian qualifying berth off Singapore.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is primary school all that important :confused:

I know that it really important if one is applying to a GLC, they'll definitely want you're primary school result:p However how many GLCs are world class?

Most MNCs are more interested in one's Uni results & the experience one's had & not your primary school results. As for building character, I think anyone that age is too young to understand what character is about. Just look at the character of a typical teen. :smile: