• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dual Citizenship

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
takchenow said:
Does it apply to renewing of Singapore passport as well?

ie if you are citizen of a new country and you renew your SIN passport?<!-- / message -->

Please see above reply to Alikati on this question.

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the record, I like to state that I support this dual citizenship and would like to see the government work to amending the law to allow it.

S

Scolari

I think many ppl in sillypore is waiting for that.
But I think our sinkie govt will not consider this yet. Maybe have to wait a long long time for this to happen.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the record, I like to state that I support this dual citizenship and would like to see the government work to amending the law to allow it.

The Sg govt is reluctant to grant dual citizenship mainly because of the liabilities of NS and the CPF policy.

Singapore immigrants are slow to take up the SG citizenship because of this NO dual citizenship policy which requires them to give up their native citizenship in order to become SG citizens.

Who in their right mind would want to burn their bridges and doom their children to NS with no exemptions? The US of A at least had the option for conscientious objectors even during WW2!

Who in their right mind would want to be tied down to the millstone of CPF liabilities which cannot keep up with inflation and whose withdrawal rules are set according to the ever changeable goalposts of the SG govt?

Bear in mind that one can only take out the whole CPF sum when one renounces SG citizenship!

Ridler

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dual citizenship?

Where is the incentive for the PAPaya govt to allow for this?
They wan FT to come here and be loyal to sg.
How then can they allow dual citizenship? :rolleyes:

molly

Alfrescian
Loyal
The government gets to retain citizens and attract foreign ones by introducing dual citizenship. With dual citizenship, it is no longer mandatory for a citizen to give up citizenship. Would they rather lose 1,000 citizens every year than say fewer ones per year?

seizure

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can "risk" it and get away for 10 years or the duration the Singapore Passport is valid. When it is time to renew the Singapore Passport again, you need to answer a question that ask if you have a second passport or granted foreign citizenship (or something to that effect). This is where you admit to a foreign citizenship. I would not recommend you lie on this form. If you do, you are liable to be procecuted. I'm sure you are familiar with this form as you have renewed your passport recently.

Your case is another example as to why dual citizenship is needed. I'm sure the goverment would prefer the children to take care of the elderly.

i hold both US passport and S'pore passport (my parents are singaporean) - i recently i signed the form declaring i do not hold another citizenship in order to renew my passport.

i'll have to do it again 5 years down the road... the new biometric passports are not valid for 10 years...

as much as i dislike NS and prices of cars and houses, i'm hanging onto my s'pore passport as my parents are living in singapore. i'm not sure if i will be allowed to enter/stay in singapore if i renounce it.

i have a few friends i knew from NS (many years ago) who also have two passports, so i guess dual citizenship is possible in a weird way for people born in USA as it can be "claimed back" even after renunciation.

(lying on the form: i know it's wrong and can put you in jail, etc... but i was told by someone in MHA that as long as NS obligations are served and you don't do stupid things, they won't investigate actively or prosecute)

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i hold both US passport and S'pore passport (my parents are singaporean) - i recently i signed the form declaring i do not hold another citizenship in order to renew my passport.

i'll have to do it again 5 years down the road... the new biometric passports are not valid for 10 years...

as much as i dislike NS and prices of cars and houses, i'm hanging onto my s'pore passport as my parents are living in singapore. i'm not sure if i will be allowed to enter/stay in singapore if i renounce it.

i have a few friends i knew from NS (many years ago) who also have two passports, so i guess dual citizenship is possible in a weird way for people born in USA as it can be "claimed back" even after renunciation.

(lying on the form: i know it's wrong and can put you in jail, etc... but i was told by someone in MHA that as long as NS obligations are served and you don't do stupid things, they won't investigate actively or prosecute)

singapore allows dual citizenship, for males below the age of 21. upon reaching 21, a male with a foreign citizenship can renounce his singapore citizenship, with the condition that either he is granted exemption for full-time ns from 18 to 21 or he completes his full-time ns before his renunciation.

by renewing your passport before and after you're 11, with the passport expiry after age 11, you have agreed to remain a singapore citizen and are liable for full-time ns at 18. there's no exemption.

if you have served your full-time ns, reached age 21, wish to retain dual citizenship by not renouncing, and continue to lie under oath about your dual citizenship status, you have broken the law and shall be punished (if caught). your ns reservist liability still applies. ns is not just 2 years. it is a near-lifetime obligation. they will catch you sooner or later when you land at changi. don't be a moron for playing punk with singapore.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

singapore already allows dual citizenship for males below the age of 21. see my reply to seizure.

for adults over 21, i agree that they need to reconsider their policy, but only for those who deserve it. there are many world class athletes, artists, scientists, engineers, inventors, entrepreuners and illuminaries who deserve not just dual citizenship, but multiple ones. i would like to see these "special ones" become world citizens with a world passport, where they are treated like local citizens where ever they go, with zero bureaucratic crap-trap. i'm sure singapore welcome these individuals and would go the extra mile to make their visits like a homecoming. if either bill gates or warren buffet asks for it, they will comply.

busy123

Alfrescian
Loyal
singapore already allows dual citizenship for males below the age of 21. see my reply to seizure.

for adults over 21, i agree that they need to reconsider their policy, but only for those who deserve it. there are many world class athletes, artists, scientists, engineers, inventors, entrepreuners and illuminaries who deserve not just dual citizenship, but multiple ones. i would like to see these "special ones" become world citizens with a world passport, where they are treated like local citizens where ever they go, with zero bureaucratic crap-trap. i'm sure singapore welcome these individuals and would go the extra mile to make their visits like a homecoming. if either bill gates or warren buffet asks for it, they will comply.

I got one family friend who left for Australia at age 3. Got Australian Passport at age 5 and Comes back to SG every two or three years. Never renounced SG citizenship. Never got an IC. Now he is 38 and last year applied for an employment pass. Application rejected due to "computer showing he is a SG Citizen" by MOM. Went to ICA and confirmed he or his parent never renounced SG Citizenship, but they told him nicely. to do two thing. 1) give them a letter saying he intend to renounce OZ citizenship (and the ICA officer told him this can take two years on OZ side and a letter of intention to renounce is sufficent for ICA so no need to show them proof of renounciation and 2) to get clearance from NS. he emailed the NS and reply to him they have no record of him.

My friend still travel in and out of singapore since then with no problem at Changi, but now does not know how to proceed. I am warning him not to get into trouble with NS but I/We also curious what they will do in this case.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I got one family friend who left for Australia at age 3. Got Australian Passport at age 5 and Comes back to SG every two or three years. Never renounced SG citizenship. Never got an IC. Now he is 38 and last year applied for an employment pass. Application rejected due to "computer showing he is a SG Citizen" by MOM. Went to ICA and confirmed he or his parent never renounced SG Citizenship, but they told him nicely. to do two thing. 1) give them a letter saying he intend to renounce OZ citizenship (and the ICA officer told him this can take two years on OZ side and a letter of intention to renounce is sufficent for ICA so no need to show them proof of renounciation and 2) to get clearance from NS. he emailed the NS and reply to him they have no record of him.

My friend still travel in and out of singapore since then with no problem at Changi, but now does not know how to proceed. I am warning him not to get into trouble with NS but I/We also curious what they will do in this case.

he is in the bureaucratic twilight zone.

he can either renounce sg's citizenship or oz's citizenship. the ica would prefer that he renounces oz. if he renounces oz, he's no longer an ft, but a local. he will be screwed like any local, earning slave wages of a local.

if he renounces sg, he would have to sort out his shit with mindef. mindef requires an sg male to either complete his ns before renunciation or apply for deferment as a student while he is studying overseas as a foreign citizen at the age of 18 to 21. since he did not apply for deferment, and mindef has no record of him, he's persona incognito and persona non grata. and since mindef cannot cross the t's and dot the i's (a.k.a. redtape closure) with him, he cannot renounce.

he is like a ghost in limbo land.

even if he gets all his paperwork squared away, he would be marked, jailed or fined either for absconding ns or get an approval for deferment while he was 18. he won't be able to obtain an employment pass in sg as an ozzie citizen with a criminal record.

eropah

hmmmm this is rather interesting... thanks for that insight!!!

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is the bad-dest comment I have ever seen. You do not decide on matters on emotional reasons but a economic one. In SG, any verbal comment or demand end you up in jail. Kangeroo Court is always with the PAP. Once you are Singaporean or enjoyed the privilege.. you are @ their mercy.

On the other hand, should you decide to draw your CPF, you get to earn 7% in term deposit in Australia. In stocks or real estates, you'll be earning >20%.

In worst scenario, they will welcome you - simply by returning the CPF + 2.5% interest :-) Piece of cake !

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do hope that the Government of Singapore will allow dual citizenship to those who have completed NS.

This is the crux. They allow first timers to become citizens without doing NS. So what is the harm of dual citizenship for those who have given 2 years of their life to Singapore?