• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dual Citizenship

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
They may open up the dual citizenship eligibility to those who have served out their NS and reservist liability, or reached retirement age if retaining the men for NS is a concern.

Anyway, it's an option I'll always welcome. Problem is, which country will let me have their citizenship. Neither meet their "professions in demand" or "a lot of money for investment" categories :-(

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There have been talk on the possibility of Singaporeans having dual citizenship. However, in the most recent discussion, the idea was canned by our govt (at least that was last I heard).

Anyone got further news on this? :(
There has been a trend/development around a number of countries around the world in the last 10 years and these are primarily to retain ties and maintain bridges. These are

1) Allowing dual citizenship - mainly allowing new migrants to obtain new citizenship in their new host country without the need to renounce their exisiting citizenship. OZ, US, UK all allow this.

2) 2nd Chance Factor - allowing previous citizens to apply for reinstatment of previously renounced citizenship with or without reason. This is only a one time opportunity.

Singapore no longer enters into agreement with others countries in the past to seize or seek surrender of the Singapore Passport/Citizenship before granting the new country's citizenship. It now allows dual citizenship by default if the Singapore citizenship has not been not been renounced in the first place. Travel in and out of Singapore is unrestricted for dual citizens. Publicly this information is withheld to pervent an exodus.

Re-granting of singapore citizenship while holding onto a new country citizenship is the only no no at the moment. I believe 2nd Chance is however granted on a case by case basis if the new country citizenship is going to be renounced.

Hope all these make sense.

counsel

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore no longer enters into agreement with others countries in the past to seize or seek surrender of the Singapore Passport/Citizenship before granting the new country's citizenship.

But Singapore requires foreigners taking up Singapore citizenship to surrender their foreign citizenship before Singapore citizenship is granted.

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=133&secid=130

Once approval for Singapore Citizenship is given, the applicant must renounce his/her foreign citizenship and register for Singapore Citizenship before officially becoming a Singapore Citizen. The applicant may also apply for an Identity Card and Passport at this time.

counsel

Alfrescian
Loyal
It now allows dual citizenship by default if the Singapore citizenship has not been not been renounced in the first place. Travel in and out of Singapore is unrestricted for dual citizens. Publicly this information is withheld to pervent an exodus.

Bro, This is interesting news and a lot of Singaporeans who do not want to give up Singapore citizenship will be happy.

Do you have any further info on this allowing of dual citizenship by default. Perhaps, a link or some real life experience.

counsel

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the case of Singapore, fear of divided loyalties and the complications arising from the national service policy are often cited for discouraging dual citizenship.
However, others facing more immediate political and military challenges, like Taiwan and Israel, have not barred multiple citizenships.

Today, significant return migration trends are happening in both places.

For instance, many skilled Taiwanese emigrants are returning and contributing to the island's development. Their children, raised abroad and possessing foreign citizenships, have also returned to pursue educational and work opportunities. Rather than brain drain, processes of 'brain exchange' are taking place.

As Singaporeans become more globalised and develop significant ties in different parts of the world, the citizenship model needs to be adapted to fit the needs of a diversified population.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Saturday+Special+Report/Story/STIStory_247668.html

June 14, 2008

VIEWPOINT

Adapt citizenship model to meet new needs

By Elaine Ho

AS A friend living in New York applied for Singapore citizenship for her newborn recently, she started worrying.

Twenty-one years down the road, her son will have to choose between this birthright and his other right - American citizenship.

Her dilemma is not unique. As Singapore globalises and more citizens sojourn overseas for studies, career or other exploratory reasons, it may be time for the country to reconsider its approach towards citizenship.

In 2006, Parliament liberalised citizenship laws, making it easier for children born to overseas Singaporeans to become citizens. This formally recognised the ties that overseas Singaporeans and their descendants maintain with Singapore.

However, this change has a limited impact because of the dual-citizenship restriction.

Singapore law requires that those with multiple citizenships decide by the age of 21 if they want to retain their Singaporean citizenship or forfeit it.

Such a stark choice is difficult as more people increasingly have family members and emotional attachments in more than one part of the world.

Yet, dual citizenship is but one model of transnational citizenship, a legal framework recognising multiple national ties.

Dual citizenship accords a full set of civil, political, economic and social rights. This is most commonly practised in Western liberal democracies such as the United Kingdom and Canada.

However, what is popularly known as dual citizenship elsewhere is often only dual nationality, which grants selective rights like visa-free travel to overseas citizens while reserving other rights, particularly political rights, for citizens in the country.

Countries like India and Mexico are taking this approach to proactively manage emigration trends. They allow their dual nationals to enjoy multiple entry, residency, land ownership and property investment rights, but regulate their voting rights.

This policy allows migrants to retain the rights most important to them while reserving voting rights and political leadership for citizens living there.

So what about citizenly obligations under a transnational citizenship framework, one may ask.

In the case of Singapore, fear of divided loyalties and the complications arising from the national service policy are often cited for discouraging dual citizenship.

However, others facing more immediate political and military challenges, like Taiwan and Israel, have not barred multiple citizenships. Today, significant return migration trends are happening in both places.

For instance, many skilled Taiwanese emigrants are returning and contributing to the island's development. Their children, raised abroad and possessing foreign citizenships, have also returned to pursue educational and work opportunities. Rather than brain drain, processes of 'brain exchange' are taking place.

One option is for Singapore's national service requirement to be adapted to meet the criteria of a dual nationality framework, as countries like Turkey and Germany have done.

For example, military service performed in Germany by Turkish immigrants counts towards the military service requirement in Turkey.

The German conscription programme allows some men to fulfil civilian service, such as in hospitals and eldercare homes, or participate in international aid schemes for developing countries instead.

These alternative provisions can be creatively applied to Singaporeans with dual nationality.

As a starting point, Singapore could consider a few midway initiatives instead. In the United Kingdom, citizenship laws allow those able to prove their ancestral links with the country - such as if a grandparent had British citizenship - to apply for an ancestry visa. In return, they get residency and working rights for up to five years, after which they can apply for British citizenship.

If adopted here, this scheme could enable future generations of overseas-born Singaporeans to maintain ties with Singapore.

More can also be done to allay the worries of Singaporeans who have worked overseas for a prolonged period of time, have not been contributing to the Central Provident Fund and are anxious about rising living and health-care costs.

Policymakers here can begin to address this concern by negotiating bilateral agreements to enable the transfer of pension and health-care contributions across national systems.

The UK, for example, has an arrangement allowing British citizens working in New Zealand and Canada to contribute to their British pension scheme. A similar social security agreement exists between the United States and Mexico.

The UK has also signed bilateral health-care agreements allowing citizens of some non-European Union countries, like New Zealand, to receive free or subsidised health treatment in the UK.

Critics may argue that such policies privilege internationally mobile Singaporeans over the rest of the citizenry, in that such Singaporeans can access rights in different countries.

However, it is counter-productive to limit the potential of Singaporeans who can carve an international niche. The task ahead should be to enable less privileged Singaporeans to advance economically and socially alongside their successful counterparts.

Transferable social security agreements can furthermore facilitate the return of overseas Singaporeans without over-burdening state resources.

As Singaporeans become more globalised and develop significant ties in different parts of the world, the citizenship model needs to be adapted to fit the needs of a diversified population.

Though dual citizenship is most often put in the spotlight, it represents only one potential answer.

Meanwhile, other more modest options - such as the partial rights of dual nationality, ancestry visas and transferable social security agreements - should be seriously considered if Singapore wishes to sustain ties with Singaporeans abroad and their descendants.

The writer, born and bred in Singapore, is a postdoctoral fellow at Royal Holloway, University of London. She did her PhD in Singaporean transnational migration.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
But Singapore requires foreigners taking up Singapore citizenship to surrender their foreign citizenship before Singapore citizenship is granted.

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=133&secid=130

Once approval for Singapore Citizenship is given, the applicant must renounce his/her foreign citizenship and register for Singapore Citizenship before officially becoming a Singapore Citizen. The applicant may also apply for an Identity Card and Passport at this time.

I stated the following "to seize or seek surrender of the Singapore Passport/Citizenship before granting the new country's citizenship." Not the other way around. You are right that we do not allow those that are seeking Singapore citizenship to hold on their previous citizenship. That the reason why the 2nd chance feature is now kicking into a number of countries.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, This is interesting news and a lot of Singaporeans who do not want to give up Singapore citizenship will be happy.

Do you have any further info on this allowing of dual citizenship by default. Perhaps, a link or some real life experience.

MFA (our Foreign Ministry used to carry advisory on dual citizenship some years back on certain of their High Commission/Embassy website but have since withdrawn.

You know how transparent this country is.

nicolewong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello, Just want to drop in and say I fully support dual citizenship and look forward to the government changing the citizenship act to allow dual citizenship.

Singapore today is too global to ignore dual citizenship or face the consequences of 1000 Singaporeans giving up their citizenship annually.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The reason why my nephew is not registered as Singaporean since birth is because of NS. The logic is ... So long as his birth cert should his parents country of birth as Singapore, and if he want to serve NS, Singapore will acept him anyway. Otherwise, why invite trouble.

lightwalk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually many foreign talent here hold dual citizenship. My mum know many Chinese PHDs holder here that have both china and s'pore citizenship. The govt knows about this but they are closing one eye to it because they don't want to lose precious FT. I have a ang moh in my platoon that holds 3 c'ship. Spain, USA and S'pore. When I asked him how come he don't want to give up his s'pore c'ship so he don't have to serve ns. His reply was that if he gets deported back to the states, he won't get to see his grandparents here until he turn 21.

peter_lee_1969

Alfrescian
Loyal
my friend hold sg and amerika citizenship. when wanna make passport SG ICA told him to renounce US citizenship. she go to america embassy and told them that. SG has no right to tell american citizen to give up american citizenship. tell ica to fly kite.

hunter

Alfrescian
Loyal
When is the government going to grant dual citizenship? Sounds like many people have dual citizenship issues? :biggrin: :biggrin:

depeche

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi All,

I guess the first priority is always on how to preserve their "CPF coffer" first then to consider the dual citizenship...as long as it makes economical sense to them...how many citizenship also they can closed one eyes if they hold your CPF fund to play with...

Adidas

Alfrescian
Loyal
this issue was brought up for discussion during a few dialogue sessions by those "so-called" professors,ministers.

i think sooner or later,the government will give it a hard consideration.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi All,

I guess the first priority is always on how to preserve their "CPF coffer" first then to consider the dual citizenship...as long as it makes economical sense to them...how many citizenship also they can closed one eyes if they hold your CPF fund to play with...
Actually the issue is that people are giving up their citizenship to withdraw the CPF funds. Those who don't need it retain it. This particular loss of good "citizens" is a significant issue.

AliKati

I looked into this recently as i live in the UK but my mother lives in Singapore and she's not been very well. I thought of getting British citizenship so that I don't have to worry about losing my PR status here.

But I was told that if I do that, when I get the British citizenship, I would need to write in to get a pack in order to renounce my Singapore citizenship. That would mean if I came back to be with my mum while she's ill, I'm only here for a short tourist visa.

I did wonder what would happen if I did not write in to renounce my Singapore citizenship, since my Singapore passport is recently renewed.

T

takchenow

Re-granting of singapore citizenship while holding onto a new country citizenship is the only no no at the moment.

Does it apply to renewing of Singapore passport as well?

ie if you are citizen of a new country and you renew your SIN passport?

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
AliKati said:
I did wonder what would happen if I did not write in to renounce my Singapore citizenship, since my Singapore passport is recently renewed.

You can "risk" it and get away for 10 years or the duration the Singapore Passport is valid. When it is time to renew the Singapore Passport again, you need to answer a question that ask if you have a second passport or granted foreign citizenship (or something to that effect). This is where you admit to a foreign citizenship. I would not recommend you lie on this form. If you do, you are liable to be procecuted. I'm sure you are familiar with this form as you have renewed your passport recently.

Your case is another example as to why dual citizenship is needed. I'm sure the goverment would prefer the children to take care of the elderly.