• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Do you Look forward to; or damned afraid of CNY ceLebrations..

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some of my friends wiLL sureLy take the annuaL 'safe' route out; of fLying to somewhere to avoid the CNY ceLebrations tiLL it's aLL over & done..:cool:
They are not wrong, but somehow i dont understand their mentaLity..are they so afraid of the
dins & noises; or are they simpLy so kiam-siap about giving Ang-pows to their counterparts who have chiLdrens ?...:eek::*:

Two words "Annoying Relatives". Fortunately for me we did away with relations which we do not like. So CNY is a enjoyable time with relatives whose company we enjoy. :biggrin:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Some of my friends wiLL sureLy take the annuaL 'safe' route out; of fLying to somewhere to avoid the CNY ceLebrations tiLL it's aLL over & done..:cool:
They are not wrong, but somehow i dont understand their mentaLity..are they so afraid of the
dins & noises; or are they simpLy so kiam-siap about giving Ang-pows to their counterparts who have chiLdrens ?...:eek::*:

Actually it's not about giving angpow that ppl hate . To me it's the noise and same silly questions that relative ask over and over again every year . I used to hate cny but in the recent years I think it's cool to celebrate cny .. It's Chinese culture that we have to maintain . My mentality change when I see Japanese celebrate their new year .. They are so happy and proud of their culture . We as Chinese should do the same too .

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
many of my friends have already booked their escape routes liao...they will disappear for the first six days - those who are singles, those who are married but with no kids, those who are not keen to give angpows...those who want to have a quiet and peaceful time...LNY's reunions are now big headaches,esp for the elderly who have to cook for the children and grandchildren..

and children now don't even lift a finger to help and also many reunions have lost their traditional meanings....LNY is just another holiday ...not much celebration now..'

no fire crackers no fun...so quiet like a ghost town.....slowly but surely the celebration and significance will die off...sad hor

That's right uncle , cny without fire crackers are indeed strange . Singapore government should lift the ban on fire crackers ...treat Singaporean as responsible adult instead of controlling everything . they can make fire crackers available only during cny .

Last edited:

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
That's right uncle , cny without fire crackers are indeed strange . Singapore government should lift the ban on fire crackers ...treat Singaporean as responsibility adult instead of controlling everything . they can make fire crackers available only during cny .

yes sir. i totally agree...bring back the good old times....hooray!!!

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually it's not about giving angpow that ppl hate . To me it's the noise and same silly questions that relative ask over and over again every year . I used to hate cny but in the recent years I think it's cool to celebrate cny .. It's Chinese culture that we have to maintain . My mentality change when I see Japanese celebrate their new year .. They are so happy and proud of their culture . We as Chinese should do the same too .

Dude, the Chinese do feel proud and do celebrate CNY all over the world, especially China and Taiwan and also Malaysia.
It is only the Chinese in Singapore that seem to think it is not cool to celebrate CNY. I don't know why.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I enjoy CNY and like asking difficult questions of my nieces like "Why are you not bringing your boy friend?" or "When are you getting married?" and "Are you going to have a baby already?"

Such questions you don't even have to think very hard to ask.

Last edited:

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Two words "Annoying Relatives". Fortunately for me we did away with relations which we do not like. So CNY is a enjoyable time with relatives whose company we enjoy. :biggrin:

it's not easy to do away with relatives which annoy us..lny is a time to bring them together and try to heal the drift....but well, some relatives need to be ignored...they are a pain in the neck...

sickpuppy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I look forward to it as its the only time I can see all my family members even my uncle and aunts. So what if you give a few ang bows its only once a year.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

A good way of getting rid of ties with annoying/obnoxious relatives is to not go for any of their weddings, funerals, baby showers etc.

If you see them on the streets, ignore them.

Soon, you won't feel obliged to go, and they won't come to your place.

Works for me.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
CNY has always been hectic with one whole mass of relatives congregating at the green mossed pond. Pity Siti when preparation and clean-up time !:o

ThugSin

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I'm trembling everyday at the thoughts of CNY eve.

Wife not working
PRC gf also not working

Both wanted to eat reunion dinner with me. Prc gf said she will borrow her friend's kitchen to cook a meal for me.

Now jialat, don't know what to do...

Like what other bros here said.. jiak dinner with oc then try to pop smoke and go over to your gf place jiak second round.. Better save some space on your stomach before going to second round... :wink::biggrin:

ThugSin

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I also very long no celebrate cny.. to me just a few days break from work.. dont really do house visit except those vvip in the family :*:

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal
My usual:
1) fly out, europe although freezing cold but lookg fwd to end of winter, so good time to jalan there or go some mudland island relak one corner, rest and rejuvenate, energize la.

2) If stay in chinkpore then makan makan with the family, give angbao, happy with family, then escape with kakis using the banker routine, makan and drink some more and be merry.

actually wat else to do, its time to lose a lot of money and gain some extra weight.

But its always like that. dont tink so much, just enjoy your rest days.