• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

CSJ and wife opening cafe at rochester mall.....

jw5

Loyal
CSJ invites you to a forum. :wink:

Chee Soon Juan 徐顺全

8 hrs ·
In case you missed it, we’re having our first ever forum at O&T. Please make your reservation by calling
1f4de.png
6993-1006 or click below.
Also, June 25 marks the day the café was opened to the public. To commemorate the occasion, for this weekend only (25 & 26 June), we’re giving 20% off selected wines. So, come celebrate with us.
Reservations: https://www.google.com/maps/reserve/v/dine/c/uCTMZQg_y_8?source=pa&hl=en-SG&gei=T-ezYuPwGZqQseMPxp-0kAg&sourceurl=https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp%3DeJzj4tVP1zc0zMsry8qyNM4zYLRSNagwNkxJNExKsTQ1T0o2MTQ2tTKoMEo1tDQzMkw0NDcySbI0TfISzi9KzEtPVVBTKElNzFFITkw7vBIAIT8WRg%26q%3Dorange%2B%2526%2Bteal%2Bcaf%25C3%25A9%26rlz%3D1C1CHBF_enSG862SG862%26oq%3Dorange%26aqs%3Dchrome.1.69i59j46i39i175i199j46i131i199i291i433i512j46i131i175i199i433i512j46i131i199i291i433i512j46i199i291i457i512j69i61j69i65.4455j0j9%26sourceid%3Dchrome%26ie%3DUTF-8

1655988406171.png

jw5

Loyal
CSJ provides takeaway food for cleaners and security guards. :thumbsup:

Chee Soon Juan 徐顺全

8 hrs ·
Orange & Teal recently celebrated our first anniversary and we continued to reach out to our friends who keep the Rochester Mall clean and safe by treating them to the café’s best dishes.
We had originally invited our cleaners and security guards in for lunch just like we did when we first opened in 2021, but in their usual self-effacing manner, they said “pai sei” and didn’t want to bother us. And so, we gave them all take aways, assisted in part by those who gave through our pay-it-forward initiative.

1657285940840.png

jw5

Loyal
CSJ attended the commencement at NUS for his daughter’s graduation this week. :thumbsup:

Chee Soon Juan 徐顺全

7 hrs ·
I attended the commencement at NUS for my daughter’s graduation this week. Good to see all the young faces beaming with pride and expectation.
There was no shortage of pomp and pageantry, replete with academic regalia and even a European, medieval-era mace symbolising knowledge and enlightenment – everything one would expect of academia’s highest traditions.
Except when you scratch the surface.
There you’ll find the sad spectacle of an institution dominated and domesticated by the PAP. The programme notes, for instance, feature a list of Chancellors and Pro (deputy)-Chancellor’s that read like a Who’s Who of the ruling party:
Devan Nair, former PAP MP
S Jayakumar, former PAP minister
SR Nathan, former intelligence officer
Tony Tan, former PAP deputy prime minister
Ong Teng Cheong, former PAP minister
Halimah Yaacob, former PAP MP
The commencement speaker was none other than a Mediacorp news presenter who delivered a rather forgettable speech.
There was even the China Daily Prize awarded to graduates - yes, the same China Daly owned by the Chinese Communist Party that insists that the Tiananmen massacre in 1989 is a myth,
And predictably on the penultimate page, there was a quote from Lee Kuan Yew:
“I hope that Singaporeans will continue to seek out an education that nurtures them to think critically and innovatively to meet the diverse and complex challenges ahead.”
NUS may be many things: financially well-endowed, Singapore’s oldest university, a big student population…but a hotbed for innovative and critical thinking it most certainly is not.
Since the days (1974) when student leader Tan Wah Piow engaged the young PAP government over democracy and social justice issues (and who was subsequently accused and imprisoned for instigating a riot) to my sacking in the 1993 after I joined the SDP to the unceremonious closer of the Yale-NUS campus last year, little has changed.
Higher education in Singapore, tragically, still labours under a heavily prescribed framework constructed by the PAP.
I remember the time when I visited campus to talk to students, I was quickly confronted by a phalanx of police and security officers, and warned to leave or face arrest.
Phrases like “innovative and critical thinking” are just buzzwords dropped here and there every now and then to placate restless minds and keep up appearances.
Lee Kuan Yew was right; we need innovative and critical thinking to meet complex changes going forward. But it’s one thing to say words and quite another to put them into practice. Therein lies the danger for this nation.
May be an image of 6 people, people standing and indoor

jw5

Loyal
CSJ invites you for poetry reading. :wink:

Chee Soon Juan 徐顺全

7 hrs ·
Orange & Teal presents Poetry Sunday in our Conversations series.
Poet Stacy Nadine will read from her anthology 'Myriads of Joy', a collection of poems with themes ranging from her travels to reminiscence of years past to contemporary issues. The book has been included in the Singapore Collection at the National Library.
“I try to keep my writings upbeat because I find literature lessons and books in Singapore rather boring and melancholic,” Stacy says.
Our second reader is Ms Chan Wai Han who will read poems from the late Aileen Lau. Aileen passed away after a long battle with cancer but not before writing essays and poems which delved into deeper issues like poverty, war and human suffering.
Trained as a teacher, Aileen also enjoyed cultivating young minds. She staged the play 'Emily of Emerald Hill' and played the (solo) role of Emily to raise building funds for a girls’ school.
The third participant is Mr Fong Hoe Fang who founded publishing house Ethos Books in 1997 (now retired) to give voice to emerging and exciting writers from diverse backgrounds as well as to help foster an environment in which Singapore literature can thrive.
Hoe Fang will talk about the state of writing in Singapore and how local writers can expand their horizons to develop the profession.
So, calling all you poetry and book buffs, here’s a Sunday afternoon for your minds to roll and frolic in the world of words and poetry. And there’s no place better to do this than at Orange & Teal.
Date: 31 July, Sunday, 3pm
For reservations: Call 6993-1006 or click https://orangeandteal.sg/reserve/
#orangeanteal #orangeandtealsingapore #orangeandtealactivities #singaporeactivities #sgactivities #sgpoetrysession #poetrysession #poetryreading
May be an image of text that says POETRY READING Stacy Nadine Chan Wai Han Discussion by Fong I Hoe Fang 31 July 2022, Sunday 3-4 pm Orange & Teal

jw5

Loyal
CSJ is saddened by the loss of his friend. :frown:

Chee Soon Juan 徐顺全

22 hrs ·
I just learned that my friend and former classmate, ex-PAP MP Alvin Yeo, has passed away. Even though he was on the other end of the political spectrum, I am saddened by the loss. My deepest condolences to his family and loved ones.
I could never understand why a politician would ruin his opponent's life just because we differed in our views and values. Life is just too short - and precious - to indulge in such toxicity.
On another note, I wish Dr Tan Cheng Bock a speedy recovery after his surgery and look forward to seeing him again, hale and hearty, on the campaign trail.

jw5

Loyal
Orange & Teal is hosting a group of young entrepreneurs, artists and musicians who will entertain diners. :thumbsup:

Chee Soon Juan 徐顺全

12 hrs ·
As part of our National Day celebrations this year, Orange & Teal is hosting a group of young entrepreneurs, artists and musicians who will entertain diners.
The event will take place on 6 August 2022, Saturday, from 3pm right until 9pm during which artists will do live sketching and display their works, comic book writers will also be on hand to talk about their work, entrepreneur David Goh will display a board game that he invented, and there’ll be music sets to showcase our local talent.
So, come by this Saturday, there’s much that’s happening at the café.
Make a reservation here https://orangeandteal.sg/reserve/ or call 6993 1006. (We're closed on Mondays.)
#orangeandteal #singaporerestaurants #singaporeresto #sgrestaurants #singaporedining #sgdining #dininginsg #singaporeeats #singaporefoodlover #singaporefoodbloggers #singaporefoodstory #singaporefoodhunt #singaporefoodguide #singaporestories #sgcoffeeplace #singaporecoffee #dineinsingapore #sgcoffeelover #singaporecoffeelovers #cafeinsg #cafeinsingapore #musiclovers #comiclovers #boardgamelovers #singaporeanmusicians #singaporeart
May be an image of text

jw5

Loyal
CSJ invites you for a glass of wine. :wink:

Chee Soon Juan 徐顺全

10 hrs ·
Fancy a glass of wine on a Sunday afternoon serenaded by music performed live before you?
Well, the dream just got a little more real. Orange & Teal presents A Little Dream – a string quartet performance on 28 Aug 2022, Sunday at 3 pm.
Joanne, Shan, Martin and Hao Wei will delight you in this mini-concert with a repertoire of classical pieces mixed in with some popular numbers, all in the elegant ambience of the O&T café.
So, gather your friends and loved ones and make a date with A Little Dream. You know you want this afternoon of pleasure and indulgence.
$43 nett per person (member).
Click https://buy.stripe.com/8wMg2l9wU4Il9TqdQY
$48 nett per person (non-member).
Click https://buy.stripe.com/4gw17r9wU8YB5DaeV3.
Tickets include a glass of red/white wine.
Reservations will be confirmed upon payment.

1659880632146.png

jw5

Loyal
CSJ invites you to listen to classical music. :wink:

Chee Soon Juan 徐顺全

4 hrs ·
Due to popular demand, we have decided to open up our classical music performance by string quartet A Little Dream this Sunday, 28 Aug 2022, 3pm-4:30pm to one and all.
Please note that the performance will take place at at our Rochester Mall outlet.
That’s right – there’s no cover charge! Just come and order from our menu as you would any other occasion.
So, imagine tucking in our weekend Big Breakfast or savouring our signature Beef Cheeks over a glass of wine while enchanted by the music of Joanne, Shan, Martin and Hao Wei.
They will perform a repertoire ranging from Vivaldi’s Four Seasons and Handel's La Rejouissance to more conventional numbers like Scott Joplin’s Entertainer and Louis Armstrong’s evergreen What A Wonderful World.
It’s a rare occasion.
Bookings are on a first-come-first-served basis. As seats are limited, please make your reservation early (click https://orangeandteal.sg/reserve/).
Note: Please be seated by 3pm, dress code: smart casual.
(Photo is for illustration purposes only.)
May be an image of 4 people, people playing musical instruments and indoor

jw5

Loyal
CSJ wants his cafe to be a space for music and culture. :wink:

Chee Soon Juan 徐顺全

10 hrs ·
Had string quartet, A Little Dream, over at the cafe for a delightful live performance on Sunday afternoon. Joanne, Shan, Martin and Hao Wei enchanted a packed restaurant with their repertoire of popular classics and more conventional numbers.
I've always wanted Orange & Teal to become more than just a dining place but also a space for music and culture. Indeed, A Little Dream of mine, too.

jw5

Loyal
CSJ is introducing some new items to his menu. :wink:

Chee Soon Juan 徐顺全

10 h ·
Apologies for the silence these few days, been up to my neck with goings-on at the café. Been working on a couple of things, one of which is introducing some new and rather exciting items on the menu at Orange & Teal, Marina Square, starting this weekend.
Gourmet Burgers. Yes, Soft-Shelled Crab Burger, The Oyster Burger, Wagyu Beef Burger and Salted-Egg Chicken Burger. Got your attention? We’re also putting out our Lobster Roll, Baby-Back Ribs and a couple of pasta dishes too.
The best part? Our gourmet burgers are going at 15% discount as an introductory offer for one week (starting tomorrow, 17 Sep till next Fri, 23 Sep).
Got some things lined up for the Rochester outlet too. But more about that later. For now, come on down to the outlet at Marina Square
1f4de.png
6803 6516, and let’s have some fun!

1663333981794.png

jw5

Loyal
CSJ not happy with PAP. :biggrin:

Chee Soon Juan 徐顺全

13 h ·
I’ve said it many times before and I’ll say it again: Singapore continues to be plagued by a government that leeches itself on the economy, sucking the lifeblood out of the workforce.
Now, having opened Orange & Teal, I can speak from first-hand experience how the PAP continues this wayward economic governance at the expense of society.
I’m, of course, referring to the collection of fees and other charges (eg, foreign worker levy, COEs, ERPs) which is an easy way of lining state coffers but has a pernicious effect on the people.
Let’s start with the F&B business. It’s become axiomatic that sourcing staff for restaurants are stuff of nightmares. I came across a restaurant that was almost pleading with customers not to be abusive to its staff because of the long waiting times due to staff shortage. This is partly due to the lack of workers skilled in the area of F&B. How the situation deteriorated to such an extent is another discussion.
And because there is such a shortage of locals for the sector, F&B operators have had to turn to employing foreigners. The PAP then exploits the situation by charging – gratuitously – a foreign worker levy of several hundred dollars per worker.
It says that such a levy is a “pricing mechanism” necessary to control the number of foreign workers being employed in Singapore.
This is hogwash. The government pre-determines the number of people it allows in to work here. Even if a company is willing to pay a million dollars for a foreign worker, if the government doesn’t allow that worker to come in, it doesn’t happen. It’s that simple.
Tacking on a levy for every foreign employee is wholly unnecessary and serves only as a source of easy money for the state.
(Aside #1: It’s the same for COEs. The authorities already fix the number of new cars allowed on our roads each month/year. COEs is just an excuse to extract more money from the populace.)
How does the foreign workers’ levy affect Singaporeans? For starters, the increased cost of doing business is passed onto customers. Is it any wonder that people find it increasingly expensive to eat out?
(Aside #2: And don’t get me started on rent, which is another cash cow for the government and which adds to the burden of operators and consumers. The only party laughing all the way to the bank is of the People’s-Action ilk.)
Back to the issue at hand. Employing just a few foreigners means that a company may end up paying thousands of dollars in levies. Such amounts could mean the difference between viability as a business or going under.
The levies also mean that employers are constrained in paying their staff better wages – including Singaporeans –.
(Aside #3: The levy is not confined to the F&B industry. The construction sector also needs a multitude of foreign workers. Each contractor/sub-contractor building your HDB flat pays enormous sums on levies. This cost is passed onto to HDB, a cost which you end up paying when you buy a flat – a double boon for the government.)
What all this means is that the exorbitant cost of living makes life in Singapore highly stressful, resulting in younger couples opting for fewer children which, in turn, gives the PAP the opportunity to declare a procreation crisis and open the immigration gates even wider – all the while collecting billions in revenue from employers of foreign workers.
This must stop. This is why my SDP colleagues and I continue to work towards the next GE. Many of you have asked me whether I will continue in politics since I opened Orange & Teal. I say again, until this old heart of mine stops beating, I will never stop speaking up for this nation, for our people.
Now more than ever, I need your support to get into Parliament. See you at O&T.
May be an image of 9 people, people standing and text that says Tanjong Pagar Plaza Market& & Food Centre Mark

jw5

Loyal
CSJ invites you to make a reservation. :wink:

Chee Soon Juan 徐顺全

3 h ·
Sunday with Jae-Yong
https://www.facebook.com/jaeyongkang.composer
Those of you who have come to love the music of Kang Jae-Yong have the chance to be enchanted again by the pianist who will be playing at Orange & Teal (Rochester) this Sunday, 9 Oct from 3-5pm.
Jae-Yong has captured many hearts with his lovely pieces and ballads. So make a date with the pianist over a lovely meal with family and friends. It's hard to find a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
To make a reservation, call
1f4de.png
6993-1006 or click here https://orangeandteal.sg/reserve/

1665064334329.png

jw5

Loyal
CSJ is not surprised by the PAP. :biggrin:

Chee Soon Juan 徐顺全

11 h ·
I am not surprised anymore when it comes to the PAP’s actions against its critics. This is not to say, however, that its decisions are any less disturbing to me.
I am, of course, referring to the latest POFMA action again Mr Yeoh Lam Keong and The Online Citizen for their comments regarding HDB and our reserves.
Without getting into the nitty-gritty about the argument, the fact that POFMA was deployed against an observation about the government’s handling of our housing and reserves by a former government economist no less, is deeply, deeply troubling.
This incident is but the latest in a series of state sanctions against what should be legitimate – and even desirable – debate in a healthy and thriving democracy.
The SDP was similarly “POFMA-ed” for calling into question issues like the confused direction we are headed as far as our population size is concerned and the employment trend of our PMETs.
If a nation cannot have a robust discussion on such weighty issues without the government declaring that its views are the truth and all else are falsehoods – and then force its critics to declare the same – we are treading on dangerous ground.
Sure, we can challenge that decision in a court of law but our experience has shown that this process is onerous in terms of financial and human resources, resources that the government has plenty of.
But what is even more disturbing is that it is occurring at this stage of our country’s development. These actions are taken by a group of younger ministers who have come through a system where laws have been put in place to facilitate their rise and grip on power.
Introduce the GRC system, change the constitution to further restrict presidential contestation, involve legislation to restrict online debate. These are just some of the instruments that these young ministers with limited experience in political contestation have at their disposal.
Instead of encouraging an informed and intelligent electorate to emerge, the group of ministers will dumb down the country and destroy our potential of succeeding in a changed world with all the problems that our society faces.
It is, of course, superfluous for me to point out that is does not portend well for you and me and the generations to come.
But as always, I say that we, the people, are helpless only if we believe we are. Stand up, my proud fellow Singaporeans, we have been on our knees for too long
May be an image of 6 people

jw5

Loyal
CSJ invites you to have some fun. :biggrin:

Chee Soon Juan 徐顺全

10 h ·
Remember the fun we had at Orange & Teal during Halloween last year? The rolling thunder, lightning, and smoky mist? What about Spook Cakes, Monster Munch, Frankenstein's Brew...?
Well, we're doing it again this year at the creepiest cafe in town - both at our Rochester outlet (29 Oct, Saturday & 30 Oct, Sunday) and Marina Square outlet (29 Oct, Saturday & 30 Oct, Sunday & 31 Oct, Monday), repleted with all the spook and scare we can bring you all while gobbling up our Swamp Pizza, Witches’ Waffle, Dracula’s Drink and much more!
So come in your Halloween best (or worst) and stand to win a O&T membership. Moms and dads, bring the little ones for trick n treating, too!
For reservations:
Call
1f4de.png
6993-1006 (Rochester) or
1f4de.png
6803 6516 (Marina Sq)
or book online at O&T’s website
https://www.facebook.com/reel/701147398329979

jw5

Loyal
CSJ delivered festive goodies. :wink:

Chee Soon Juan 徐顺全

11 h ·
Was at BB with volunteers delivering some festive goodies to our Hindu residents. Happy Deepavali, everyone! May the Festival of Lights bring you cheer, love and health.

1666617144481.png