• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Crumbling of Singapore?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Exactly who is LHL?

People have talked about LHL saying "sorry" before the elections. To me the really interesting thing he said in that speech was "I am not LKY and LKY is not me". To me he hasn't even done the things he will eventually be remembered for. All those things are still in the future, or have yet to take shape. I don't know who LHL is. Is he the guy who will save the PAP from itself? Is he trying to get off the tiger, the repressive system that his father built? Is he going to keep on blowing smoke in our faces? Is he going to ruin Singapore? Nobody knows yet.

OK, LHL was instrumental in turning Singapore from a nation state into a global city, although how much was GCT and how much was him, we're not totally sure. Maybe all the vanity projects was him.

In any case, that's not as important as the fact that he has left the PAP's backside open for the opposition to tear into.

LHL has shown himself to be a great disappointment.

Indeed, LHL has opened up pap's backside for the Opposition. The Opposition must seize this godsend's gift at the PE BE and at the next GE

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well you could see 2 different spectres, and 2 different visions of the opposition. The first one was what would have happened if Francis Seow won the elections. I think, at that time, even though you had all that rubbish going on with JBJ, Francis Seow would have been more a Chiam See Tong kind of opposition MP than a fiery JBJ type. Under this scenario, the PAP would have kept on losing a few more seats as the opposition established its credibility. We would probably see around 20 opposition members in parliament. But that would probably be a steady state. The opposition would have paradoxically done the PAP a favour by helping it to rein in its worst instincts.

The other vision was the one that eventually transpired. LKY in "fuck the opposition" mode. A lid was kept on the opposition, and the pressure under that lid built up to such an extent that the it threatens to blow that lid off. You know the drill: lawsuits, hounding people out of jobs, discrimination based on political affiliation, Operation Spectrum, and even Chiam See Tong's quaint old story of how the government tried to kill his favourite potted plant. Because of that, politics in Singapore became a lot more polarised than it could have been. Politics has become more emotive than it could have been. That's why you have all these people on sammyboy yelling "fuck PAP". This is highly entertaining but also a sure sign that something is going wrong.

And in the meantime, the PAP were allowed to make the mistakes they made because all the policies got passed through without running it through proper parliamentary debates.

Because we Sinkies are such sheep, precedents are very important. But the PAP could have prevented all this if they were willing to engage the opposition much earlier. LKY was responsible for the first actions against the opposition. Around that time GKS was on his way out. Would GKS have counselled LKY against this, because GKS is the only person who was the equal of LKY. Or maybe he preferred being a bureaucrat and leave the politics to LKY. GCT being who he is, the one least likely to rock the boat, went along with a simple continuation of the policies of repression. I don't rate GCT at all because most of the policy mistakes that led Singapore down the drain (too many foreigners, rich-poor divide) took place under his watch. Interesting thing is that most of us know even less about LHL than LKY or GCT. To me he is a grey blur (this was a description once used on Stalin). In the first 5 years, he was operating in GCT mode, the same old same old, mode. Then post 2011, a full 7 years into his premiership, suddenly he's got to come out and show us who he is. Exactly who is LHL?

Excellent analysis..Thanks

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Mr Tony Tan, an NSP Council Member, rounded up the debate by noting that foreigners contribute up to 48 percent of GDP. Should Singapore ever enter into diplomatic difficulties with the People’s Republic, how would we cope since we have such a large proportion of Chinese workers in the economy?

He suggested that the government has not addressed the fundamental issues but has only been content to tinker with policy here and there. "If we continue along this line, we will incrementalise ourselves to oblivion,” he observed.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What we know we will always share with one another.

That is how the government should work for the people.

Prosper-thy-neighbour is the best policy.

That's wise thinking..I agree, all Singaporeans should prosper together and share best practices.

But the way the PAP Town Councils behave by selling IT software to AIM (preparing for the day they lose a GRC) is very disappointing to the point of being petty and childish

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
pinky is an inept leader..hope someone challenges him soon..or sinks is going down the sink (pun intended)

PE 2011 and BE Hougang 2012 is a good indication of LHL's performance as a PM. Another good indication of Singaporeans' assessment of his leadership will be at ByElection Punggol East

Picardo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Running a country can be a daunting undertaking full of challenges for any party. That' a given.

But what is unacceptable is the ill-conceived rationale put forward previously to justify the taking of astronomically high salaries. More opposition will be needed in order to fully correct any excesses.

PE 2011 and BE Hougang 2012 is a good indication of LHL's performance as a PM. Another good indication of Singaporeans' assessment of his leadership will be at ByElection Punggol East

Last edited:

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's wise thinking..I agree, all Singaporeans should prosper together and share best practices.

But the way the PAP Town Councils behave by selling IT software to AIM (preparing for the day they lose a GRC) is very disappointing to the point of being petty and childish

I agree with you.

This should never happen in a truly First World Nation.

Look at other truly 1st World countries like the EU and America. None of these sort of childish thing happen.

The handing over and taking over transition is truly done in a gentlemanly manner.

Reminds me of my childhood day when someone gave one a toy and then demand it back from one when there was any quarrel.

In the event of a government change, I wonder how will all the assets be accounted for - from the lamp-post till the office table.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Running a country can be a daunting undertaking full of challenges for any party. That' a given.

But what is unacceptable is the ill-conceived rationale put forward previously to justify the taking of astronomically high salaries. More opposition will be needed in order to fully correct any excesses.

Yes, running a country is not easy...that's why only those who think he can make a difference shd put himself up for election. what makes people like LSS, LHL think they can govern SG?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I agree with you.

This should never happen in a truly First World Nation.

Look at other truly 1st World countries like the EU and America. None of these sort of childish thing happen.

The handing over and taking over transition is truly done in a gentlemanly manner.

Reminds me of my childhood day when someone gave one a toy and then demand it back from one when there was any quarrel.

In the event of a government change, I wonder how will all the assets be accounted for - from the lamp-post till the office table.

Police, SAF, Judiciary, Civil Service, Town Council Managment, key services, etc shd not be part of any political party. Regardless who is elected to govern SG, these civil servants must cooperate and serve with them

Last edited:

Picardo

Alfrescian
Loyal
The civil service is a pillar of society, regardless of ruling party of the day.

Sadly, by their blind sense of allegiance to one single entrenched party, they appear to have forgotten this fundamental.

Police, SAF, Judiciary, Civil Service, Town Council Managment, key services, etc shd not be part of any political party. Regardless who is elected to govern SG, these civil servants must cooperate and serve with them

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The civil service is a pillar of society, regardless of ruling party of the day.

Sadly, by their blind sense of allegiance to one single entrenched party, they appear to have forgotten this fundamental.

Indeed, the civil service is a pillar independent of political parties..likewise the Judiciary, Armed Forces, etc.

The PAP has done SG a great disservice by politicising these pillars

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That is very true.

It only happens in any country where there is strict adherence to the doctrine of "Separation of Powers" as advocated by French Baron Montesquieu and where the Legislature, executive and Judiciary operates independently.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
had been doing my part since 2009 to wake those civil servants up :o:o:o
they need gentle reminders you see...

Zhihau, You made a good point way back in 2009. I support your statement wholesale.

The civil servants ought to know that they are "public" servants and not "party" servants.

But sadly, all seems lost in Singapore Inc today.

Governments are there to run the country and NOT to milk the country......They should allow the small-timers (citizens and families) to run their businesses to survive and compete with other families. But they failed miserably......

Just look at NTUC here.

They killed the small time shop-keepers, coffee-shop operators, private taxi owners and many other SMEs. Readers will surely know for they are more intelligent, especially the younger ones.

Is this happening among the Democrats and Republicans in USA?. Is it happening in EU states?

The government here, elected by the people and supported by the masses over the years, have conveniently forgotten about all these and allowed themselves to be dragged into this "black-hole".

I prefer to write a long submission for future use when Singaporeans will know who Scroobal, Zhihau, Moolightaffars, Zeddy, Narong Wongwan, Charlie, Kohliantye and many other's are.

Waiting for the day when our names will be published. My salute to Ramseth. May His Soul Rest In Peace.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
had been doing my part since 2009 to wake those civil servants up :o:o:o
they need gentle reminders you see...

http://singsupplies.com/showthread.php?16715-A-timely-reminder

That's true.

The Singapore Civil Service:

"The Singapore Civil Service plans and executes policies, and works with the elected government to shape our nation’s destiny. Focusing on building a successful, vibrant and dynamic nation of excellence, the Singapore Civil Service forges a common vision amongst Singaporeans, and translates this vision into reality"

Nowadays many top civil servants play politics, are not impartial and have thus betrayed the trust Singaporeans place on Civil Servants

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Governments are there to run the country and NOT to milk the country......They should allow the small-timers (citizens and families) to run their businesses to survive and compete with other families. But they failed miserably......

Just look at NTUC here.

They killed the small time shop-keepers, coffee-shop operators, private taxi owners and many other SMEs. Readers will surely know for they are more intelligent, especially the younger ones.

Is this happening among the Democrats and Republicans in USA?. Is it happening in EU states?

The government here, elected by the people and supported by the masses over the years, have conveniently forgotten about all these and allowed themselves to be dragged into this "black-hole".

I prefer to write a long submission for future use when Singaporeans will know who Scroobal, Zhihau, Moolightaffars, Zeddy, Narong Wongwan, Charlie, Kohliantye and many other's are.

Waiting for the day when our names will be published. My salute to Ramseth. May His Soul Rest In Peace.

Well said, Kohliantye.

The pap milks singaporeans and competes with singaporeans in businesses. The role of government is not to do business and make huge profits and pay their own cronies well with ill gotten profits at the expense of the citizens. Such pap strategy will result in poor citizens and frustrated people

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well said, Kohliantye.

The pap milks singaporeans and competes with singaporeans in businesses. The role of government is not to do business and make huge profits and pay their own cronies well with ill gotten profits at the expense of the citizens. Such pap strategy will result in poor citizens and frustrated people

Many flourishing business houses and shops in the heartlands here are run by their cronies.

These cronies are like the parasitic fronds and ferns that slowly sucks away the nutrients from the tree on which it depends.

Like these parasites, such cronies are "opportunists" who will not hesitate to jump ship (suck another tree) when another government is formed here.

Wonder how the pap let these sort of "cancer" spread.!!

It has failed to realize that sooner or later this malignant growth will also ruin them as a body.

In fact the rot has already started and the only cure is for the pap to excise the diseased area asap.

There is still time though.

Last edited:

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many flourishing business houses and shops in the heartlands here are run by their cronies.

These cronies are like the parasitic fronds and ferns that slowly sucks away the nutrients from the tree on which it depends.

Like these parasites, such cronies are "opportunists" who will not hesitate to jump ship (suck another tree) when another government is formed here.

Wonder how the pap let these sort of "cancer" spread.!!

It has failed to realize that sooner or later this malignant growth will also ruin them as a body.

In fact the rot has already started and the only cure is for the pap to excise the diseased area asap.

There is still time though.

you are indeed well informed and discerning. we need more singaporeans like you..my deep appreciation to you