• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

COPR in Canada

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi exSINgaporean, thanks for your valued reply. your story is indeed inspiring. to your questions, no i do not expect to land a cushy job or get a pay package like those i'm enjoying in SG now. just enough to get by comfortably & enjoy a more relax pace of life. my wifey & i have decided to get out of this ratrace while we still can & able & hope to secure a better quality of life (not neccessarily more costly) than what we currently have. we'll surely consider your suggestion to visit the few cities that you'd mentioned before deciding on where to settle in. we intent to make our 1st landing this year end as a holiday trip instead, to look around & gain some ground knowledge. the planned move will more likely take place in 2011 (but plan may change after our 1st landing).

Do your swot analysis, land at the point of least resistance. When you are more established then move inland.

whistler

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Asychee, thanks for your advice. Btw, I'm an engineer by training & have been working in Construction Project Management in the Oil & Gas and Water Industries throughout my career. I hear that Fort MacMurray in Alberta is where the Oil & Gas and Mining Industries are. Is this correct?

Much appreciate. Thanks!

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Asychee, thanks for your advice. Btw, I'm an engineer by training & have been working in Construction Project Management in the Oil & Gas and Water Industries throughout my career. I hear that Fort MacMurray in Alberta is where the Oil & Gas and Mining Industries are. Is this correct?

Much appreciate. Thanks!

Dont forsee you having any problems in looking for a job. If you come to alberta, it would be the right place with your kind of experience. Look out for this company called Colt engineering - heard they need people with your kind of background. Alternatively, I have a good friend working in Shell here, he staying very near my place - will talk to him for you at the cost of 2 Kg of bak wa (just kidding).

Do u know that even with this economic slowdown there is around $100 billion of projects going on at Fort Mac. In the pipeline, another $180 billion postpone waiting for the rite time.

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi exSINgaporean, thanks for your valued reply. your story is indeed inspiring. to your questions, no i do not expect to land a cushy job or get a pay package like those i'm enjoying in SG now. just enough to get by comfortably & enjoy a more relax pace of life. my wifey & i have decided to get out of this ratrace while we still can & able & hope to secure a better quality of life (not neccessarily more costly) than what we currently have. we'll surely consider your suggestion to visit the few cities that you'd mentioned before deciding on where to settle in. we intent to make our 1st landing this year end as a holiday trip instead, to look around & gain some ground knowledge. the planned move will more likely take place in 2011 (but plan may change after our 1st landing).

Hi Hock, thanks for your reply. it's good to know that you have relatives there for support. in fact, social support is one of the issues i'd discussed with my wife. as we have no friends nor relative there......we need to consider the various scenarios & have contingencies in place before our big move. Btw, is Calgary in Alberta? It's somewhere between Vancouver & Edmonton if i recall correctly.

Hi Asychee, i'm really relieved to hear that the post on "notcanada" is not yours as it'll be really tragic if the story is to be believed. ok good u're in Edmonton too.....& i'm surprised there's quite a number of ex-Sgreans there....i'm getting excited now.....cant wait for a get together session with all

Hi Ak168, great! Let's get in touch.

Calgary has the "white collar" jobs of the Oil Industry while Edmonton is the "blue collar" jobs of the Oil Industry.

blueblobster

Alfrescian
Loyal
That negative post was probably written by the pappy internet brigade or some losers (e.g. those who cut and paste about the crime rates in Canada) to discredit you. Since they cannot be like you, might as well pull you down.

Cheers.

blueblobster

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Asychee, i'm really relieved to hear that the post on "notcanada" is not yours as it'll be really tragic if the story is to be believed. ok good u're in Edmonton too.....& i'm surprised there's quite a number of ex-Sgreans there....i'm getting excited now.....cant wait for a get together session with all

Actually I think that even in the UNLIKELY event that it is indeed Asychee who wrote that, we should celebrate the transformation of his life in Canada rather than seeing it as tragic.

The contrast between the person in "notcanda" and the Asychee I met in Edmonton will prove that Canada is indeed the country of opportunities and a bright new beginning.

It's all hypothetical of course since the negative post is probably written by someone out to discredit him.

Cheers.

ak168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually I think that even in the UNLIKELY event that it is indeed Asychee who wrote that, we should celebrate the transformation of his life in Canada rather than seeing it as tragic.

The contrast between the person in "notcanda" and the Asychee I met in Edmonton will prove that Canada is indeed the country of opportunities and a bright new beginning.

It's all hypothetical of course since the negative post is probably written by someone out to discredit him.

Cheers.

Well said. Am with you.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You guys are getting paranoid. It obviously is not you as the writing style, choice of words etc are completely different. The story however is coherent and sincere.

Not many people can handle migration and it could be due to luck or individual circumstances. I know of people who return because the spouses can't handle it. Generally Singaporeans tend to do better in terms of jobs because of their command of the english language and relatively better skill sets.

I know of a guy who spent 7 years searching (with savings dwindling) for a job in Perth and finally landing a plum job with one of the most profitable company in Oz - Westfarmers. During the 7 years, his kids prospered under a 1st world regime. I know a civil servant that returned within 3 months.

I know another guy whose authoritarian style was put down by his staff and colleagues that he had to return and after few years and with a bit of common sense went back and started life.

I wonder what i did right to piss them off till they have to resort to that. This is a 1st. i never seen it in this form before there must be getting desperate eh:rolleyes:

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi Hock, thanks for your reply. it's good to know that you have relatives there for support. in fact, social support is one of the issues i'd discussed with my wife. as we have no friends nor relative there......we need to consider the various scenarios & have contingencies in place before our big move. Btw, is Calgary in Alberta? It's somewhere between Vancouver & Edmonton if i recall correctly.

Having relatives in your destination country is desirable. However, with determination and perseverance, I believe you will survive and prosper. In 1981, I arrived in Toronto, on my own, without a single friend or relative, except for assistance from AIESEC (Association Internationale de Etudiants en Science Economique et Commerce).

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Having relatives in your destination country is desirable. However, with determination and perseverance, I believe you will survive and prosper. In 1981, I arrived in Toronto, on my own, without a single friend or relative, except for assistance from AIESEC (Association Internationale de Etudiants en Science Economique et Commerce).

Write me the date if you come to Edmontn and where you wil be staying...look I dare not drive to the airport in the winter ...kaisu...too dangerous when it snow heavily.

End of the year can be very cold.

We will get together in my home with all my Singapore kaikis. I can bring you around the elementary and junior high school to look see.

I reserve a full day for you.

try not to drive ...snow driving is totally different...Much different from singapore and evne Vancounver. It can be very deceiving. Even you are careful, it can be very dangerours.

Dring just at 15 KM / hr and you stop at the red light or Stop sign, your can can jsut slip into the middle of the road. if a fast big truck comes along from the other side....whole family can be gone in slit seconds. I am not lying , brother.

In Calgary I cannot help.

In edmonton. I will try to help ..for you rwhole stay here...but to drive you to the airport...take a taxi.

wite me Bernard Chan
9090 51 Ave
Edmonton, AB
Canda T6E 5X4

Don't worry, we are not PAp agents. Tu\urst me.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Living with Culture in Toronto

Write me the date if you come to Edmontn and where you wil be staying...look I dare not drive to the airport in the winter ...kaisu...too dangerous when it snow heavily.

End of the year can be very cold.

We will get together in my home with all my Singapore kaikis. I can bring you around the elementary and junior high school to look see.

I reserve a full day for you.

try not to drive ...snow driving is totally different...Much different from singapore and evne Vancounver. It can be very deceiving. Even you are careful, it can be very dangerours.

Dring just at 15 KM / hr and you stop at the red light or Stop sign, your can can jsut slip into the middle of the road. if a fast big truck comes along from the other side....whole family can be gone in slit seconds. I am not lying , brother.

In Calgary I cannot help.

In edmonton. I will try to help ..for you rwhole stay here...but to drive you to the airport...take a taxi.

wite me Bernard Chan
9090 51 Ave
Edmonton, AB
Canda T6E 5X4

Don't worry, we are not PAp agents. Tu\urst me.

If I did not make it clear in my response to another individual, I am not emigrating to Canada, because I have been residing in Toronto since 1981. I do not have any plans to move to any other city.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Living with Culture in Toronto

If I did not make it clear in my response to another individual, I am not emigrating to Canada, because I have been residing in Toronto since 1981. I do not have any plans to move to any other city.

doesn't look like he's telling you to emigrate. he's too lonely in edmonton and needs visitors... any visitors... including migrant city slickers from the east.