• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

COPR in Canada

ak168

Alfrescian
Loyal
. Everything a Singaporean dare not even dream off we already adquired...big bangulow with 3 cars garage and two big gardens and one minivan and a car both bought brand new. All these is the cost of a 3-room HDB flat........

All that for the price of a 3-room HDB Flat (average SG$180k), the paint ball, ice fishing....etc ... the more I think of what you have said , the more I felt that I have made a right choice for my family to migrate to Canada.

Sometimes I find it's so ridiculous for Singaporean to compete over trivial or meaningless matter....like "chopping" seat with a pack of tissue paper in hawker center, public bus or MRT...(to be the first to board or alight)

According to my observation recently, many Singaporean parent are so "kaisu" that they would stand by the pool, watch and some would even give comment for a better way to teach to the swimming instructor during a swimming lesson for their kids. You are laughing...right..but no kidding..I will be pressured too if am the instructor.

Some use maid to the extreme, like my niece who is currently p5 and yet still need the maid to fetch her to school and carry her bag for her, right to the school gate. My niece is as tall as the maid and the maid is even smaller size than her. I felt very disgusted sometime...is it the face thingy ?......that she also wanted to show off to others?.......or is it my uncle trying to show that he can afford a maid too to others in the school ?...I find this really amusing, incidental and unimportant in life, in fact bad for her who will never know what independent really means without a maid....

I did shared my view with my Uncle who often decides to turn a blind eye and call it love ......truly I cannot stand this way of life in Singapore, not for me and not for my kid and i just wonder how my niece would treat her own kids when she is a mother herself......maybe shower them with 2 maids ....to take care of her kids .......that is of course if she can afford it by then.....

In summary, I cannot wait to get out of here.......

Last edited:

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just received my COPR...

I can't help you in your query but i do want to wish you the best in your new life, make yourself useful to your chosen country and help her to prosper

cheers

postnote: the last two points sounds like i am moralizing but i am not, just sharing what i will do if i am in your shoes

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
All that for the price of a 3-room HDB Flat (average SG$180k), the paint ball, ice fishing....etc ... the more I think of what you have said , the more I felt that I have made a right choice for my family to migrate to Canada.

Sometimes I find it's so ridiculous for Singaporean to compete over trivial or meaningless matter....like "chopping" seat with a pack of tissue paper in hawker center, public bus or MRT...(to be the first to board or alight)

According to my observation recently, many Singaporean parent are so "kaisu" that they would stand by the pool, watch and some would even give comment for a better way to teach to the swimming instructor during a swimming lesson for their kids. You are laughing...right..but no kidding..I will be pressured too if am the instructor.

Some use maid to the extreme, like my niece who is currently p5 and yet still need the maid to fetch her to school and carry her bag for her, right to the school gate. My niece is as tall as the maid and the maid is even smaller size than her. I felt very disgusted sometime...is it the face thingy ?......that she also wanted to show off to others?.......or is it my uncle trying to show that he can afford a maid too to others in the school ?...I find this really amusing, incidental and unimportant in life, in fact bad for her who will never know what independent really meant without a maid....

I did shared my view with my Uncle who often decides to turn a blind eye and call it love ......truly I cannot stand this way of life in Singapore, not for me and not for my kid and i just wonder how my niece would treat her own kids when she is a mother herself......maybe shower them with 2 maids ....to take care of her kids .......that is of course if she can afford it by then.....

In summary, I cannot wait to get out of here.......

If you are going to VanCouver, you are "lagi" better. Food there is about 30% cheaper than those in Edmonotn...especially the sea food. Get to know a friend who owns a fishing boat or rent one boat and drive out to the sea..no need to be far out just boaut 10 minutes out from the shore in the Richmond area and wow you can catch lots of crabs...you whole week of sea food supply. You can catch at least 7 to 10 big fishes a day. In just 3 hours my son caught 4 fishes in the lake alone.

However pray that earthquake would not strike B.C. that soon.

The weather in B.C. is much much warmer than in Alberta. When I was younger .. in my mid 30s the cold winter of minus 35 C did not border me much. But as I age into my mid 50s I start to feel the cold.

In a few years time we might migrate to Toronto as the weather is about 7 to 10 degree C warmer and it is at the same latitude as north California. My friends who lived both in Edmonton and Toronto say the latter is better. Also it will give my teenage son better exposure .. bigger museum, library, universities, stock market etc.

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are going to VanCouver, you are "lagi" better. Food there is about 30% cheaper than those in Edmonotn...especially the sea food. Get to know a friend who owns a fishing boat or rent one boat and drive out to the sea..no need to be far out just boaut 10 minutes out from the shore in the Richmond area and wow you can catch lots of crabs...you whole week of sea food supply. You can catch at least 7 to 10 big fishes a day. In just 3 hours my son caught 4 fishes in the lake alone.

However pray that earthquake would not strike B.C. that soon.

The weather in B.C. is much much warmer than in Alberta. When I was younger .. in my mid 30s the cold winter of minus 35 C did not border me much. But as I age into my mid 50s I start to feel the cold.

In a few years time we might migrate to Toronto as the weather is about 7 to 10 degree C warmer and it is at the same latitude as north California. My friends who lived both in Edmonton and Toronto say the latter is better. Also it will give my teenage son better exposure .. bigger museum, library, universities, stock market etc.

Really?
Wednesday, September 09, 2009
Housing affordability improves

Until this recession housing prices where slowly and steadily creeping out of the territory of affordable for many first time buyers.

The truest example of this was a "starter home" in Vancouver for $700,000. Of course location and other market comparables would set aside this property from the rest, it's still not in my idea of the starter home region. Vancouver's housing affordability is still an unbelievable 63%. That means 63% of income must be devoted to mortgage payments.

Now we now why Vancouverites are so svelte - they can't afford food!

Housing prices cooled and low interest rates brought back affordability but how long will it last? According to some experts not so long.

"The two major contributors to the significant improvement during the past year or so — the decline in mortgage rates and the drift down in prices — appear to have reached turning points."

"Supply of properties for sale is dropping as demand bounces back, which is working to heat up prices again in many parts of the country."

RBC senior economist Robert Hogue

We are in a one-of-a-kind situation to pick up great properties with low interest rates at incredible prices. There is such demand in Canada and especially in Edmonton, Alberta for quality housing, price increases are going to return in the next year.

http://www.edmontonrealestateinvestmentblog.com/

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Asychee,

I remember that you ever mentioned that if you ever start all
over again, you would make your first landing in New Brunswick.
Do you still maintain this view?

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Asychee,

I remember that you ever mentioned that if you ever start all
over again, you would make your first landing in New Brunswick.
Do you still maintain this view?

Dear Hock,

Life is dynamic, always know your SWOT. What is suitable for me might not be suitable for you. I think a better question would be to know your SWOT then go thru which province is the best for you.

Sun Tzi - know thyself and know the terrain.

Let me know how i can help. Regards

whistler

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's been a year since this thread was started & I wonder if rabmon (the thread starter) had landed in canada & how he's fairing wherever he's at?

My family & I should be getting our PR visas soon & we plan to make our 1st landing come year end. I've been reading up some forums on B.C (www.britishcolumbia.com) & it's all so confusing. Some says B.C is good whilst others say it's bad due to high crime rates, homeless people, drugs, expensive housings, etc. Now I'm not sure what to believe.

My 2 kids are still in primary school & my biggest concern uprooting & moving to Canada is getting a reasonably good paying job there, affordable housing within a safe district & fairly good schools for my kids.

I understand exSINgaporean to be in Edmonton & is doing pretty well (his own practise I suppose) and Trout is in OT (studying?)

Hock, where do you plan to land in Canada? I suppose you're single. Are you?

Asychee, are you in Canada too?

whistler

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Hock,

Life is dynamic, always know your SWOT. What is suitable for me might not be suitable for you. I think a better question would be to know your SWOT then go thru which province is the best for you.

Sun Tzi - know thyself and know the terrain.

Let me know how i can help. Regards

Hi Asychee, I chanced upon this forum http://www.notcanada.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=361 and wonder if the threadstarter by the same nick for "Tragic Story" is you. Pray enlighten. :o

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's been a year since this thread was started & I wonder if rabmon (the thread starter) had landed in canada & how he's fairing wherever he's at?

My family & I should be getting our PR visas soon & we plan to make our 1st landing come year end. I've been reading up some forums on B.C (www.britishcolumbia.com) & it's all so confusing. Some says B.C is good whilst others say it's bad due to high crime rates, homeless people, drugs, expensive housings, etc. Now I'm not sure what to believe.

My 2 kids are still in primary school & my biggest concern uprooting & moving to Canada is getting a reasonably good paying job there, affordable housing within a safe district & fairly good schools for my kids.

I understand exSINgaporean to be in Edmonton & is doing pretty well (his own practise I suppose) and Trout is in OT (studying?)

.................................................................................................

That's life in a "real world" ...crime rate, homeless people roaming the street...especially cities like VanCounver, Toronto and even Edmonton! Yea, believe me. It's that BAD!

But then let's look at Singapore...clean, very low crime rate, safe no homeless, most people are happy etc...well yes you are correct..or your "perception" is correct if you read all these in the Straits Times. Do you know that if you lose your bicyle, the police in Singapore would not record it as a crime but in B.C. Canada it counts towards the crime statistic?

The newspaper in Canada does NOT hide anything that is view as "social shame" in Singapore and would make the Prime Minister look bad.

You get my point.

Let's be practical if you are immigrating to Canada at end of the year...perhaps you want your children to finish the brainwashing school year in Singapore then do NOT come to Edmonton bec. it can be extreme cold in Dec. (minus 35 C with the windchill factor at night)...as the Cantonese saying goes "your balls shrink". Yea, your penis can shrink to just like a size of a tiny earth worm! I am not kidding.

Go straight to B.C.

If you are looking for a good-oaying job then forget it. Stay put in Singapore. If you are hoping someone to hold your hands and guide you like the PAP, then you will be disappointed.

I only can offer to pick Singaporeans up from the airport (not in winter please bec I risk my life to drive in the highway in the think snow) and put them up in the motel; drive them around the city for orientation, help them to register for the Alberta Health Care, open bank account, link them up to some other exSinaporeans. That's the best I can do.

When my wife 3 year-old daughter and I arrived from Singapore in May 1991, we took the airport bus from the airport to a downtown hotel. Stayed there for 4 days, find an apartment and started life from then on...not much help from any Singaporeans or anyone. We bought only about Sin $40,000, whihc was used up within 1/2 year...yea broke after that for years on..living on credit cards...contantly fearing to answer phone calls on Sat morning bec. that was when the credit card credit dept will call me for minimum payments.

"A person's character is like a tea bag. You do not know how strong it is until it is put in hot water."

For starters like you prepare to have a drastic drop in your pay compare to what you get in Singapore. For e.g if you are an manager earning Sin$7,000 per month (plus 12 months bonus) then expect to earn just Sin$2,000 (definately no bonus) as a clerk or storemanat least for the first 2 years. If you can prove that you are better than the local Canadians...in terms of spoken English language, people skills, extreme hardwork etc then you MIGHT get to be promoted to a supervisor then a manager.

By the way many "white" local Canadians like the Americians are damn hardworking and tough. I have seen TV. cable man working non-stop for 3 hours installing my new cables outside the cold with stong wind and minus 20 degrees C in the winter. He even declined my coffee offer...just continue working. This happens to other workers who come to repair things in my home. So don't bet on that you being a Singaporean are much more hardworking than the Ang Mo. The British and Australians are much layback.

My wife earns about Sin$100,000 but it takes her 12 years to reach this salary level. She began with a low pay of just Sin $24,000 per year in a Chinese car repair workshop as a service advisor. Now she is a senior workshop service advisor in a big car dealership.

If you tend to worry on things like high crime rates, drugs, robbers, low paying jobs then I tell you the truth, you WILL find them soon. VEry soon...perhaps on the first day you arrive! Yes I am that bad to tell you because I am not here to encourage neither discourage you. I am telling you the truth.

Whatever your mind look out for you will find bec. you will then to attract such circumstances and happenings.

Don't believe me then let's do an experiement.

Close your eyes.

Think of a while elephant. A white elephant.
Now STOP thinking about this white elephant!
STOP thinking about this white elephant!
I say STOP thinking abou this white elephant!

Now think of a golden lion.
You see the golden lion charging towards you!
It is about to jump on you!!!!!!!!!!

What happens to your white elephant?

You get my point.

Each city has its appeal. VanCouver in recent few years have been rated by some international survey to be the BEST city to live in the world. Heck isn't it good enough for you? Edmonton is not even mentioned in the survey!

However you still need to weight the earthquake treat in VanCouver and Richmond area. It can happen anytime.

I would suggest that you come in April or May...forget about the damn Singapore education...just come in May so that it is not that cold. Look around VanCouver, Calgary, Edmonton and if I were you look also into Toronto. The latter has no earthquake, about 7 to 10 degrees C warmer and less snow than cities in Alberta. Houses there are cheaper than Edmonton. But Toronto has less job opportunies.

In fact in about 3 years, we will be migrating to Toronto...we do not need to work so job opportuniy is not a concern for us.

The good thing about Toronto is that it gives my Canadian-born 13 year-old son wider exposure...huge central library, big museums, the Stock Market, nearer to New York etc. Next May, he will be with his school music team visiting Ontario and Montreal city; I will let him decide whether he likes that area before we uproot.

"No one can make a right decision;
we can only make the decisions and make them RIGHT".

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, I hope you don't mind. I copied this to a new thread in main coffeeshop folder as I found your story inspiring.

.................................................................................................

That's life in a "real world" ...crime rate, homeless people roaming the street...especially cities like VanCounver, Toronto and even Edmonton! Yea, believe me. It's that BAD!

".

ak168

Alfrescian
Loyal

"No one can make a right decision;
we can only make the decisions and make them RIGHT"...

I like that last sentence, it is so true.
If I may ask, what do you do now for a living, am just curious that you mentioned that you do not need to work anymore.

Are you financially independent already ? If so, good for you.......all of us here I believe would like to be there, some day (at least for me).

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am happily married with 2 young kids. I plan to land in Calgary(my wife's
aunt and cousins live there) and start from there. Plan to get my Canadian citizenship in 3 years, withdraw my cpf money and live happily ever after
in Canada. Life is short, you know.

http://www.thetimemovie.com/

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am happily married with 2 young kids. I plan to land in Calgary(my wife's
aunt and cousins live there) and start from there. Plan to get my Canadian citizenship in 3 years, withdraw my cpf money and live happily ever after
in Canada. Life is short, you know.

http://www.thetimemovie.com/

Good choice...Calgary.

They have a better Chinatown and its snow melts at least 1 month earlier than those in Edmonton. Food is cheaper but houses are 30% more expensive than Edmonton.

You will like the city. Any place in Caanda is better than Singapore controlled by Lee Kuan yew.

If you ever come up to Edmonton to visit our West Edmoton Mall please feel free to drop me a line...use this forum to arrange. We can meet at the "China Town T&T Chinese store in West Edmonton Mall.

Lunch on me please.

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good choice...Calgary.

They have a better Chinatown and its snow melts at least 1 month earlier than those in Edmonton. Food is cheaper but houses are 30% more expensive than Edmonton.

You will like the city. Any place in Caanda is better than Singapore controlled by Lee Kuan yew.

If you ever come up to Edmonton to visit our West Edmoton Mall please feel free to drop me a line...use this forum to arrange. We can meet at the "China Town T&T Chinese store in West Edmonton Mall.

Lunch on me please.

Thanks for the offer. My PR's application is still "In Process".

Canada's Best Places to Live

http://list.canadianbusiness.com/ra...lt.aspx?sub=n1&df=bestcities&sp2=1&sc1=6&d1=a

Fredericton & Moncton of New Brunswick are in the Top Tens.

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=8505394

Moncton's FH land is very cheap - C$5,000 per acre

ak168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi Whistler,

Am planning to land in Nov with my son, please read my latest input in this thread. If you like we can meet up for coffee or even discuss to land together ....somehow we are going for the same reason....

Let me know and sent me a mail here and we can also exchange contact....c u...:smile:

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, i am in Edmonton, Canada. I help rabmon & family, blue lobster & family, nayr69 & family & etc - all samster. Advise them on what to prepare and in order to have a sucessful landing with all the documents (SIN, PR Card & etc). I am now helping their friends who came here to look for jobs and eventually get the PR by applying inland.

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Asychee, I chanced upon this forum http://www.notcanada.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=361 and wonder if the threadstarter by the same nick for "Tragic Story" is you. Pray enlighten. :o

Hi

I am really shock initially by the post. I heard of this website before but did not give it any thoughts till now ( dont like hanging around negative people). It is a mystery to me -As i read a few times, the England is way better than mine as i am only "O" level nia. It is written with a negative twist? I wonder why and how it is being done - Can fellow samster tell me.

When i just migrated to Ca in mid 06 - i was interviewed by a ST reporter doing a report asking why we choose to leave. Of course, i lambasted the whole Pappy system and as usual -they posted what they wanted and edited the rest. We correspond via email a couple of times.

Straits Times Interview
Monday, 27 November 2006 9:11:47From: Ho Ai Li <[email protected]>Add to Contacts
To: [email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Alex,

How are you doing? I am a reporter with The Straits Times and I chanced upon your posting in sammyboy about your emigration to Canada. Incidentally I am researching a feature on the "compression culture"/the middle-aged, middle-management squeeze in Singapore, where many professionals live in fear of retrenchment from their late 30s. Even though the economy has improved, many professionals who were retrenched have not regained their former glory. While they may not be jobless, many might be underemployed, driving cabs or doing admin work.

One aspect of this phenomenon is that many have chosen to emigrate. I am hoping to interview you over email, if you are agreeable, to find out what made you decide to leave, what kind of job worries did you have and how widespread do you think age discrimination is, in the Singapore workplace (what are the some of the stories you have heard for eg?)

Also, what were you working as in Singapore prior to moving to Canada and what are working as now? How does your job in Canada compare to your previous job in Singapore (in terms of pay/benefits/job security) etc? Do you know of many other Singaporeans in their 30s or 40s who have chosen to emigrate due to fears over employment?

Thanks for your attention! Hope to hear from you soon,

Warm regards,

Ai Li,
Journalist, The Straits Times,
DID: 6319-5099
Mobile: 91790710

Singapore Press Holdings,
1000 Toa Payoh North, News Centre,
Podium Level 2,
Singapore 318994

NOTE: Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email. All opinions, conclusions and other information expressed in this message not of an official nature shall not be deemed as given or endorsed by Singapore Press Holdings Ltd or any of its subsidiaries unless otherwise indicated by an authorised representative independent of this message.
Singapore Press Holdings Ltd Co
Regn No. 198402868E

whistler

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi exSINgaporean, thanks for your valued reply. your story is indeed inspiring. to your questions, no i do not expect to land a cushy job or get a pay package like those i'm enjoying in SG now. just enough to get by comfortably & enjoy a more relax pace of life. my wifey & i have decided to get out of this ratrace while we still can & able & hope to secure a better quality of life (not neccessarily more costly) than what we currently have. we'll surely consider your suggestion to visit the few cities that you'd mentioned before deciding on where to settle in. we intent to make our 1st landing this year end as a holiday trip instead, to look around & gain some ground knowledge. the planned move will more likely take place in 2011 (but plan may change after our 1st landing).

Hi Hock, thanks for your reply. it's good to know that you have relatives there for support. in fact, social support is one of the issues i'd discussed with my wife. as we have no friends nor relative there......we need to consider the various scenarios & have contingencies in place before our big move. Btw, is Calgary in Alberta? It's somewhere between Vancouver & Edmonton if i recall correctly.

Hi Asychee, i'm really relieved to hear that the post on "notcanada" is not yours as it'll be really tragic if the story is to be believed. ok good u're in Edmonton too.....& i'm surprised there's quite a number of ex-Sgreans there....i'm getting excited now.....cant wait for a get together session with all

Hi Ak168, great! Let's get in touch.

Last edited: