• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Church's Texas Fried Chicken is back!

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the 80s, there used to be an outlet at People's Park Complex. Their chicken was very tasty and tender. I had only been there twice during my schooldays as my allowance was limited back then. Then it closed down because of poor business. Last week, I just discovered that they are back again in Sinkieland when I was at United Sq. Decide to go in and try out. KNN! It was totally disappointing and unlike what I had tasted in the past. The chicken was stale and hard and the original taste was just lacking! I'll go for KFC anytime man! Why can't the fast food taste like those in the past? I hope someone could bring back Hardees as I am dying to try their Mushroom burger and biscuit again. But then, I doubt it'll taste as good as before. Sigh! :mad:

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then sad to say u got cheated because I went to the Expo branch and it blew the competition away. The chunks of meat were much bigger in size than other rest. and much more jucy and Mmmmm the taste was much better than KFC.:smile:

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then sad to say u got cheated because I went to the Expo branch and it blew the competition away. The chunks of meat were much bigger in size than other rest. and much more jucy and Mmmmm the taste was much better than KFC.:smile:

Ok, I'll try out the Expo outlet and see if it's really different. There is another Mat joint, Arnolds at City Plaza which is quite good. But it's always packed with Mats and there're no seats available.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

There's no such thing as any cooked chicken tasting worse than KFC.

The cheapest and best in Singapore are pasar malam chicken wings and drumsticks. Too bad they have to rove around. Beat KFC by miles and cheaper by dollars. The nutritional value and unhealthy effects are the about the same. At least, you'd get a much tastier bigger portion to fill your tummy pang and taste bud.

KFC chicken is small not because they're spring chicken, which are at premium price for the tender good taste. They're small because they're sick undergrown chicken farm discards.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's no such thing as any cooked chicken tasting worse than KFC.

The cheapest and best in Singapore are pasar malam chicken wings and drumsticks. Too bad they have to rove around. Beat KFC by miles and cheaper by dollars. The nutritional value and unhealthy effects are the about the same. At least, you'd get a much tastier bigger portion to fill your tummy pang and taste bud.

KFC chicken is small not because they're spring chicken, which are at premium price for the tender good taste. They're small because they're sick undergrown chicken discards.

Pasar Malam chicken wings and drumsticks are fried with cooking oil reused numerous times. Any kind of fried stuff is delicious only when its served piping hot. Try eating all the good fried stuff when they are cold. :(

Texas chicken is just 1 shade above Popeye. Popeye is on the downturn because they have no quality control after opening so many franchises.

KFC is better than Popeye these days because Popeye standard drop a lot. Unless we are talking about Arnold's fried spring chicken. That is good fried chicken at its best
If you ever want to die eating cholesterol laden food (eg char kway teow, prata) only eat the best and not the normal.

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
since when did KFC used spring chicken, their chicken are cut into 9 pces , texas cut the chicken into 8 pce. However KFC began having the spicy chicken to counter texas fried chicken. Given a choice , I would have the KFC in malaysia as compare to to texas.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pasar Malam chicken wings and drumsticks are fried with cooking oil reused numerous times. Any kind of fried stuff is delicious only when its served piping hot. Try eating all the good fried stuff when they are cold. :(

Texas chicken is just 1 shade above Popeye. Popeye is on the downturn because they have no quality control after opening so many franchises.

KFC is better than Popeye these days because Popeye standard drop a lot. Unless we are talking about Arnold's fried spring chicken. That is good fried chicken at its best
If you ever want to die eating cholesterol laden food (eg char kway teow, prata) only eat the best and not the normal.

Anyway, I seldom eat fried chicken nowadays. At pasar malam if I come across one, I'll have a grilled drumstick and/or wing depending on my appetite there and then. And also, the KFC chicken burger is not bad. When left without other choices, I'd have that too though the patty is also fried. But I'll never order KFC chicken pieces in Singapore.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal

I always thought that the best fried chicken was Arnold's Fried Chicken. The best place to eat it is at the original resturant in City Plaza. It used to be the "secret" place I go for fried chicken as it is close to my place in Mountbatten. Somewhere along the way however, some makan show shone the spotlight on it and you now have to wait as long as 30 minutes to get a seat. :mad:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I always thought that the best fried chicken was Arnold's Fried Chicken. The best place to eat it is at the original resturant in City Plaza. It used to be the "secret" place I go for fried chicken as it is close to my place in Mountbatten. Somewhere along the way however, some makan show shone the spotlight on it and you now have to wait as long as 30 minutes to get a seat. :mad:

I mentioned pasar malam because where else can you get chicken wing $1.20 and drumstick $1.80, both together just $3 big enough to constitute a meal and miles ahead more delicious than KFC. As for unhealthy effects, either you eat fried food or not. There's no such thing as healthy fried food anyway. A good friend once told me, we can't avoid unhealthy food, just make sure it's delicious and value for money; paying excessively for unhealthy and undelicious food is the biggest cockup in life.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
I mentioned pasar malam because where else can you get chicken wing $1.20 and drumstick $1.80, both together just $3 big enough to constitute a meal and miles ahead more delicious than KFC. As for unhealthy effects, either you eat fried food or not. There's no such thing as healthy fried food anyway. A good friend once told me, we can't avoid unhealthy food, just make sure it's delicious and value for money; paying excessively for unhealthy and undelicious food is the biggest cockup in life.

Go try Arnold and tell me what you think. Confirm won't regret.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
kfc chicken dun taste like last time any mor ... nowadays, western chicken-wise, me oni like kenny rogers roasters ... lucky dey r stil around ...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Go try Arnold and tell me what you think. Confirm won't regret.

My office used to near there, SingPost Centre. Unfortunately, I haven't tried Arnold's. Those days, my (ex-)boss liked Lion City Hotel dimsum best. He always brought us there. Of course, he who pays decides the place. :biggrin:

sinren67

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Texas Fried Chicken at Expo not bad. But i can't remember whether it's the same as it used to be at Wisma Atria donkey years ago.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
My office used to near there, SingPost Centre. Unfortunately, I haven't tried Arnold's. Those days, my (ex-)boss liked Lion City Hotel dimsum best. He always brought us there. Of course, he who pays decides the place. :biggrin:

You missed out. The following is a food review of Arnold.

Arnold’s Fried Chicken – Best Chicken in Town!

http://sparklette.net/food/arnolds-fried-chicken/

So I have been hearing a lot of rave reviews about Arnold’s Fried Chicken from readers, all of whom tout it as the best fried chicken in Singapore. Right after I announced on Twitter that I’m checking out Arnold’s, I was inundated with replies saying yeah! It’s better than KFC and even Popeyes! It’s not that hard to outdo the Colonel, but Popeyes? That’s a tall order.

There are a couple of Arnold’s restaurants in Singapore, plus an additional “Express” outlet in Pasir Ris, which I suppose is for takeouts. We visit the City Plaza outlet which is packed to the brim with customers on a Saturday evening. They employ a system where you get a queue number and make your order first while waiting for a table. Not bad, we thought. Once a table’s available, we get our food soon after: a 2-person Combo meal comprising:

- 5 pieces of crispy fried chicken
- 2 buns
- French fries
- Regular coleslaw
- 2 regular soft drinks (top up 70 cents each for iced lemon tea)

With rather high expectations and a skeptical thought that this may simply be overhyped, I taste a piece of Arnold’s chicken for the first time. Immediately, I go “Whoa!” My partner arches his eyebrows at me, “Really?” before proceeding to taste it and give the same reaction.

The skin is thin and crispy and oh-so-light!The seasoning is perfect — flavorsome with a tinge of peppery spice. And the chicken is just tender and juicy, and freshly cooked to order. Yes, this IS yummier than Popeyes, thus deeming it better than KFC as well.

The fries and buns are average, and I still prefer Popeyes‘ Cajun fries. But the coleslaw deserves a special mention. In the Combo meal, they give a large bowl of it that we can never finish. It’s sweet and shredded very finely, and I like it better than the one at Wow Wow West.

If you have been following me around on Foursquare, you would see that I visited Arnold’s a second time after that. This time round, we check out the newer outlet at Hougang Green Shopping Mall, which is bigger than the one at City Plaza (above). The chicken tastes even better than before!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the 80s, there used to be an outlet at People's Park Complex. Their chicken was very tasty and tender. I had only been there twice during my schooldays as my allowance was limited back then. Then it closed down because of poor business. Last week, I just discovered that they are back again in Sinkieland when I was at United Sq. Decide to go in and try out. KNN! It was totally disappointing and unlike what I had tasted in the past. The chicken was stale and hard and the original taste was just lacking! I'll go for KFC anytime man! Why can't the fast food taste like those in the past? I hope someone could bring back Hardees as I am dying to try their Mushroom burger and biscuit again. But then, I doubt it'll taste as good as before. Sigh! :mad:

I remember the Texas Fried Chicken at People's Park Complex, it was on the floor above UOB. The fried chicken at that time was juicy & tastier than KFC. I used to frequent there not only for the chicken, but for the corn on cob with butter in foil & their pickled hot chilli peppers...what's the name, I forgot, but it was not the Habanero..

Now they are back....hmmm:wink:

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Talking about fried chicken, there was an outlet located at the 1st level corner of Meridien Orchard (where Printemps used to be the anchor tenant) called McDota. I believed it was a Malaysian company operating its first trial outlet in Sinkapore. I ate there a few times because the service was great. The chicken tasted quite like KFC. That was my first impression.It closed down due to high rental. Besides Big Rooster, u also had Red Rooster. Taste-wise, it was just as good as KFC.:smile:

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal

Arnold's Fried Chicken must try only the farm fresh spring chicken. The normal ala carte pieces do not retain the chicken juices as well as 1 whole size spring chicken.

lurpsexx

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Texas Fried Chicken at Expo not bad. But i can't remember whether it's the same as it used to be at Wisma Atria donkey years ago.

I can confirm this Texas Fried Chicken IS NOT THE SAME ONE as the former CHURCH's Fried Chicken in Wisma.

the one at Expo is horribly dry and the pieces are nowhere near as BIG as the original Church's Fried Chicken in town a few years back..