• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chinese should be made the national language in Singapore!

manfrommars

Alfrescian
Loyal
most communication in singapore is in chinese anyway.

why insist on english being the 'first' language, it has never worked because most people and homes still communicate in chinese. singaporeans still speak and write horrible english as evidenced by this forum and by the speak good english movement (http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread....-how-to-pronounce-flour&p=1143728#post1143728)

why insist on malay being the national language? no one speaks malay anymore unless they are terrorists or from the ites.

Last edited:

ChinaSucks

Alfrescian
Loyal

why insist on english being the 'first' language, it has never worked because most people and homes still communicate in chinese.

why insist on malay being the national language? no one speaks malay anymore unless they are terrorists or from the ites.

Ur clone er er sorrry.. i mean nick should be manfromchina. Suits u for all your Pro China threads but u will be hamtam left right center by anti PRC here after all their covered up traffic accidents and scams by MSM.

Last edited:

manfrommars

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ur clone er er sorrry.. i mean nick should be manfromchina. Suits u for all your Pro China threads but u will be hamtam left right center by anti PRC here after all their covered up traffic accidents and scams by MSM.

i am not pro china but around 85% of singaporean chinese do speak chinese at home. making chinese the national language is only common sense given that most communication in singapore is in chinese. if you walk to your hawker shop or your coffee shop or optician it is all in chinese.

Townair

Alfrescian
Loyal
A few weeks ago I went to a new discount shop in my neighbourhood just to buy a light bulb. The cashier was a PRC man. I asked him in Chinese, 请问这里有没有卖电珠?He looked blank replying, 电珠是什么?I was even more blanked by a PRC who couldn't understand that. So I said it's a light bulb. He replied, 对不起,我不懂英文。Nevermind, it's not that big a shop and I walked through a couple of rows and found it. Went back to the cashier to make payment and he remarked, 这个我们叫电灯泡。

pallkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
A few weeks ago I went to a new discount shop in my neighbourhood just to buy a light bulb. The cashier was a PRC man. I asked him in Chinese, 请问这里有没有卖电珠?He looked blank replying, 电珠是什么?I was even more blanked by a PRC who couldn't understand that. So I said it's a light bulb. He replied, 对不起,我不懂英文。Nevermind, it's not that big a shop and I walked through a couple of rows and found it. Went back to the cashier to make payment and he remarked, 这个我们叫电灯泡。

I agree with you.That's is why it is even more urgent to make Chinese the national language here!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

why insist on english being the 'first' language, it has never worked because most people and homes still communicate in chinese. singaporeans still speak and write horrible english as evidenced by this forum and by the speak good english movement (http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread....-how-to-pronounce-flour&p=1143728#post1143728)

English is the dominant language of the world and professional people in Singapore. In China, those who can will learn English, to get a better job. Most Singaporeans speak Singlish at home and among the Chinese here, it is Hokkien. So which form of spoken Chinese are you routing for? What about the Malays, Indians, Eurasians? If not English, what language will they speak?

BTW, I go for regional distributors meetings in China couple of times a year where the delegates are from Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Aus, NZ, Indonesia, India, Sri Lanka and PRC. The language used is English.

Cheers!

manfrommars

Alfrescian
Loyal

it is just the local slangs that the chinaman doesn't understand, it is not as if you two are speaking a different language. you could have used the standard term but you are probably uneducated.

try going to the uk and asking for a light bulb, they will not understand your 'english' (or what you think is english) from the first word!

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
we are singaporeans and we speak a singaporean language which is a mixture of Malay, Chinese and Engrish. We have nothing to do with China and by God, pls leave it that way. We have got enough of Ah Tiongs crowding our MRTs and malls and buses and making a nuisance of themselves. Singapore is to China what USA is to the British. We have left and never want to go back. Speaking Malay and respecting their position and rights is our Singaporean way of being kind and gracious to our host. It dont mean that Chinks coming from China can claim to have more affinity with Singaporeans and become rude to our Malay brothers.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
we are singaporeans and we speak a singaporean language which is a mixture of Malay, Chinese and Engrish. We have nothing to do with China and by God, pls leave it that way. We have got enough of Ah Tiongs crowding our MRTs and malls and buses and making a nuisance of themselves. Singapore is to China what USA is to the British. We have left and never want to go back. Speaking Malay and respecting their position and rights is our Singaporean way of being kind and gracious to our host. It dont mean that Chinks coming from China can claim to have more affinity with Singaporeans and become rude to our Malay brothers.

You can kiss mats ass by yourself don't include us together with your sickening fetish.

manfrommars

Alfrescian
Loyal

no. most singaporeans speak chinese as their native tongue. so why not make chinese the national language?

don't give me the bs about you speaking english or malay or tamil. when raffles landed there was only 500 people in singapore, all malays today are immigrants. :rolleyes:

manfrommars

Alfrescian
Loyal
What do they call light bulb in UK English?

they call it a light bulb. but most singaporeans i have met, not all, but most, have chinese intonations and poor grammar and so no native speaker of english will understand the garbage that comes out of their mouths.

just look at this forum for evidence.

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chinese language IS already the unofficial language in Sg. :wink: Don't believe? Just go anywhere in Sg and you'll be bombarded by mandarin.
Malay as national language is to appease the terrorists so that we will always be safe :wink:
Singlish is our common language to create a unique identity so that Singaporeans can recognise each other anywhere on earth :biggrin:

salmon

Alfrescian
Loyal

at least u got a ”对不起“. i once asked a question and the prc sales assistant in carrefour barked "不说英文! 不说英文!" with a shoo-away gesture.

Last edited:

salmon

Alfrescian
Loyal
anyway why must be mandarin?

how about hokkien? many non-hokkiens speak it; even some malays and indians are very conversant in it.

i'd say go for hokkien over mandarin any time! :biggrin: