• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

China is fucked! Trump is the best!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
You are an aneh. I am a Chinese. The only thing we share in common here is that we are guests in this forum.

The only person here who has the right to tell me to "get the fuck out" is the forum owner. If he does so, I will be out in an instant.

Don't forget your place as a guest in this forum.

Now you resort to racism. I'm out of here. :rolleyes:

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you think that the current situation is fair then I have nothing further to say. Your attitude, along with other looney statements about China's "benign" intentions simply reflects the fact that your chauvinism overrides your logic.

The converse holds true. Your delusional claims and loony fantasies about China falling apart, "losing", etc reflects your juvenile, unrealistic demented views about it.

If I have to guess, it's because you have never been accepted as a full-blooded Chinese, hence the ongoing and prolonged resentment.

To you and the envious aneh crabs, eat your heart out as China marches on!

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your stance that anyone who agrees with me is "sucking my dick" shows just how pathetic you are.

Nobody gets paid to suck up to me. They gain no privileges just as those who curse me suffer no consequence. You simply cannot accept the possibility that it's because I make more sense than you do so you resort to vulgarities and name calling.

Tell that to your hero worshippers, those who have to lean on you or use you as a crutch. I believe they will get some NTUC vouchers.

BTW, why the sudden coyness about "vulgarities" which you have been spewing out since you started the forum in 1997(?) ?

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now you resort to racism. I'm out of here. :rolleyes:

This is racism???

1547615083600.png

Calling the chap "aneh" and myself "Chinese" is "racism"??? Couldn't you have come up with a better excuse than this pathetic crap?

I would have just said "Let's agree to this disagree and move on" which I wanted to do just before reading your pathetic "racism" bullshit of a poor excuse.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
They buy fewer imported goods because of the tariffs that the Chinese government imposes. That's the crux of the whole problem and the cause of the trade imbalance.

GM sells 70% more cars in China than it does in the US. However because of the 25% tariff on imported vehicles from the US GM is forced into joint ventures with Chinese companies who then steal the technology.

If there were no tariffs GM could sell cars made in the USA instead of having to assemble in China and the trade imbalance would look a lot better.

Trumps goal is to eliminate or reduce these tariffs. I wish him the very best. He is a great President.

China also protect its industries with tariffs. Trump needs to break these barriers or use tit for tat tactics. For example, since Google is banned in ah tiong land, ban WeChat in the USA. N declassify ah tiong land as a developing nation under WTO rules.

Skip to main content
NEWS
link
Search
More from ABC
Home
Just In
Politics
World
Analysis & Opinion
Business
Sport
Science
Health
Arts
Live Streams
Video
Photos
Entertainment
Upload
Subscribe
Rural
Other Topics
BUSINESS
Microsoft's Bing search engine is back online in China after being blocked for two days
UPDATED FRI AT 1:39PM
Email Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
A man moves quickly past the outside of a building where a corporate logo is prominently displayed.
PHOTO The Great Firewall has censored the internet in China for decades.
REUTERS: THOMAS PETER
Microsoft's Bing search engine can be accessed by internet users in China again after it was blocked for two days behind the country's so-called Great Firewall.

Key points:
The Great Firewall was built by the Chinese government in the 1990s to censor internet use
A report has confirmed the government ordered Bing to be blocked
Microsoft said it was determining its next steps
The US technology giant confirmed on Friday that access was again possible but did not provide reasons for the disruption or other details.

Comments on social media had accused regulators of choking off access to information. Others complained they were forced to use Chinese search engines they said delivered poor results — often irrelevant or thought to be paid advertising.

"Why can't we choose what we want to use?" a comment signed Aurelito on the Sina Weibo microblog service said.

Bing was the only major foreign search engine accessible from within China, and Microsoft censored search results on sensitive topics, in accordance with government policy.

Google's search platform has been blocked in China since 2010.

The two-day Bing ban was Microsoft's second setback in China since November 2017, when its Skype internet phone call and messaging service was pulled from Apple and Android app stores.

While services were down, a search performed on Bing's China website — cn.bing.com — from within mainland China directed users to a page that said the server could not be reached.

A man in a suit holds his hands up as he speaks to a crowd.
PHOTO Microsoft founder Bill Gates has spoken at Chinese technology expos.
REUTERS: THOMAS PETER
The Financial Times reported China Unicom, a major state-owned telecommunication company, had confirmed the Government order to block the search engine.

Cyberspace Administration of China (CAC), a government watchdog, did not respond to questions about Bing's blocked website.

The Communist Party has a long history of exercising its role to educate and control citizens by removing content from the media that it believes might cause "spiritual pollution".

Great Firewall Generation Z cut off from the West
Great Firewall Generation Z cut off from the West
China's Great Firewall has been censoring the internet for decades, and unlike Western teens many young Chinese have never heard of social media giants like Facebook and Twitter.
China has by far the biggest population of internet users, with about 800 million people online, according to government data.

The Firewall is a digital border that was built by the Chinese Government to control the internet in the mid-1990s.

In recent years, China has pushed its digital silk road and tech giants such as Huawei, Alibaba and Tencent to the world, while simultaneously tightening internet censorship.

President Xi Jinping has accelerated control of the internet in China since 2016, as the ruling Communist Party seeks to crack down on dissent in the social media landscape.

Since coming to power in 2012, Xi has promoted the notion of "internet sovereignty," or the right of Beijing and other governments to dictate what their publics can do and see online.

The Government also has tightened controls on use of virtual private network technology that can evade its filters.

In a statement on Wednesday, CAC said it had deleted more than 7 million pieces of online information and 9,382 mobile apps.

It also criticised technology company Tencent's news app for spreading "vulgar information".

Google CEO Sundar Pichai said in December the company has no plans to relaunch a search engine in China, though it is continuing to study the idea amid increased scrutiny of big tech firms.

ABC/Reuters

POSTED THU AT 5:46PM
SHAREEmail Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
RELATED
The man who trained tens of thousands of Chinese to jump the Great Firewall
She's a model citizen, but she can't hide in China's 'social credit' system
On WeChat, I'll stay a silent observer and nothing more
China unveils 'Digital Silk Road'; foresees internet-era power shift soon
Top Stories

Zali Steggall focuses on climate change in bid for Tony Abbott’s Sydney seat

Analysis: Two potatoes, one steak each week: What you'll lose in your diet of the future

'Consider moving to higher ground': Emergency alert issued as Daintree floods

Live: Here's your guide to the Hottest 100

As criminals hit farms hard, police consider new ways to fight back
Does this native comb-crested jacana waterbird really have 10 legs?
'Infinite sadness': Toddler's body recovered from borehole after 13-day search
'You don't come prepared for having a baby of that size'
Thieves steal Banksy tribute to Paris terrorist attack victims
One family, two worlds: Viral Peppa Pig video exposes China's deep social divides
A former bank vault is about to be unlocked for the first time in decades
Naomi Osaka rebounds from tearful meltdown to win Australian Open
Blind filmmaker ready to release his first full-length movie
Sleep paralysis is scary stuff, but there are no demons — just a confused brain
Thousands of chickens and bats drop dead in Adelaide's extreme heat
Builder preserves the technique behind Syria's stunning abandoned homes one brick at a time
British newspaper pays 'substantial' damages to Melania Trump over false report
Police and migrants clash in Calais as dangerous Channel crossings increase
Victoria has high hopes of becoming cannabis bowl of Australia
Forgotten railway tunnel on track for heritage protection
Analysis: What can Australia actually take from its massive win at the Gabba?
BUSINESS
Business HomeArticles
MORE FROM ABC NEWS
HomeJust InPoliticsWorldAnalysis & OpinionBusinessSportScienceHealthArtsLive StreamsVideoPhotosEntertainmentUploadSubscribeRuralOther Topics
Top of page
Change to standard view
ABC NewsJust InWorldBusinessHealthEntertainmentSportAnalysis & OpinionWeatherTopicsArchiveCorrections & Clarifications
Terms of UsePrivacy PolicyAccessibilityContact the ABC© 2019 ABC

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Soo sad tat trump lost against Congress. I hope he does not lose the 2nd election

Homepage
Accessibility links
Skip to contentAccessibility Help
Sign in
Home
News
More
Search
News BBC News Navigation
Sections
US & Canada
ADVERTISEMENT

US shutdown: National press see a defeat for Donald Trump
26 January 2019
Share this with Facebook Share this with WhatsApp Share this with Messenger Share this with Twitter Share
Image copyrightEPA
US President Donald Trump has relented to political pressure and ended the longest government shutdown in history.

He had vowed to reject any deal unless it included $5.7bn (£4.3bn) to fund his signature campaign pledge, a US-Mexico wall.

The three-week agreement Mr Trump signed however does not include this.

Even outlets sympathetic to the US president have seen it as a blow. Here's our round-up.

Trump backs down to halt painful shutdown
US shutdown: Reasons why Trump blinked
The New York Times
The NYT led its coverage of Friday's news with: "Trump backs down, ending longest shutdown in US history."

ADVERTISEMENT

Its White House correspondent writes that "for a president consumed with winning", this was a "stinging defeat".

The paper also looked at where conservatives stood on the story, reporting that some feel Mr Trump had caved in.

The newspaper has been a frequent target of Mr Trump, who has called its writers "gutless" and the newspaper as "phony" on numerous occasions.

The Washington Post
The paper's website has a frozen ticker, highlighting how Mr Trump's impasse with Democrats ended after exactly 34 days, 21 hours and 18 minutes.

Coverage on some of the 800,000 federal workers affected by the five-week closure features prominently.

In a video about a food kitchen for federal workers, some express relief but also fear they may be held "hostage" again in three weeks' time.

Eighteen ways the US shutdown is hurting
Trump's border wall - in seven charts
Washington Post writers argue that Trump may be a "prisoner of his own impulse".

"Elected as a self-proclaimed master dealmaker and business wizard... Trump risks being exposed as ineffective," one article said.

Media caption"Many of those people who are not getting paid are totally in favour of what we are doing"
Fox News
The TV channel, a long favoured outlet of Mr Trump, leads its coverage by saying government is "back in business" but also reports that the president's approval rating has gone to one of its lowest, with 37% approval and 58% disapproval.

The Fox News politics editor, however, said that the president has not "started to eat into his base" but cautioned that Mr Trump cannot risk looking like he is "capitulating" in his demand for a border wall.

Image Copyright @realDonaldTrump@REALDONALDTRUMP
It included Mr Trump's tweets appealing for understanding, but also featured stinging criticism from conservative commentator Ann Coulter.

Image Copyright @AnnCoulter@ANNCOULTER
Breitbart News
The right-wing news outlet, which was propelled into the national stage with Mr Trump's election, has not shied away from the unfavourable coverage of Mr Trump's decision.

Image copyrightREUTERS
Image caption
Breitbart reports Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi signs the legislation with eight pens
Its front page said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi had "rubbed it in" by signing the bill with eight pens, which she later gave as souvenirs to her colleagues.

Breitbart also reports that at least 30,000 illegal border crossings are expected in the next three weeks that there is no secured funding for a proposed US-Mexico wall.

They calculated this figure based on Department of Homeland Security data from earlier time periods.

It also reported on Monday's arrest of 110 Central Americans, who scaled an existing border wall into the US.

USA Today
This outlet took a different view from Breitbart, saying Ms Pelosi "was careful not to gloat".

The remarkable comeback of America's most powerful woman
Overall consensus is that this is a resounding victory for her, after she stood her ground against Mr Trump's demand for money towards a wall.

USA Today's main story focuses on how the president's relationship with Ms Pelosi "changes everything in Washington", and how "no one should underestimate her".

It also rounds up conservative backlash against Mr Trump, including from blogger Mike Cernovich who said he was disgusted and did not like being lied to about the wall.

CNN
The organisation called "fake news" by Mr Trump leads its coverage with how those behind him are stunned by the "loss".

Analysis by its editor-at-large says "Nancy Pelosi broke Donald Trump" by just saying "no" and sticking to it.

Trump threat after CNN reporter ruling
CNN quoted a Trump adviser as saying this was "a humiliating loss for a man that rarely loses" and "I miss winning".

With Ms Pelosi leading a Democratic majority in the House of Representatives, the unnamed adviser concludes the only way forward for Mr Trump is "compromise".