• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chicken Business Investigated by Tax man - ATO ! ?@&&/-#}^€¥'!!

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have recently submitted business activity GST claim of approximately under $20k. ATO called to investigate, to ascertain if I'm just a lazy investor or a chicken brothel seller.

ATO - Tax man is an ex-Singaporean ! Lol !

In the end, he guided me the process, which I believe is a way to cover myself in the event of audit. Many thanks !

I'm on a thin line... Hopefully, a lesson learned towards a successful chicken seller.

Fingers crossed !

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course they going to call it into question. Here 1 hour $150, some chicken earn up to $150K a year, $5-6K min a month on days with little customer. $20K GST is less then expected. You think ATO dumb ah?

I have recently submitted business activity GST claim of approximately under $20k. ATO called to investigate, to ascertain if I'm just a lazy investor or a chicken brothel seller.

ATO - Tax man is an ex-Singaporean ! Lol !

In the end, he guided me the process, which I believe is a way to cover myself in the event of audit. Many thanks !

I'm on a thin line... Hopefully, a lesson learned towards a successful chicken seller.

Fingers crossed !

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course they going to call it into question. Here 1 hour $150, some chicken earn up to $150K a year, $5-6K min a month on days with little customer. $20K GST is less then expected. You think ATO dumb ah?

Bro, it takes a great deal to import chickens, I paid GST too ! My client also charged GST.. so it makes sense for me to claim mah

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ATO

ATO is getting very active. All captial gains & trusts are going through the data mining detectors.

But getting a letter from ATO may not all be bad, some are getting letters that thank the taxpayers for following CORRECT PROCEDURES.

Surplus

The Labor Party is pushing for surplus after KRUDD keynesian stimulus that produce nothing for the economy except heartaches of FHOG housing loans.

These Aussie pollies can be dumb at times, but obviously, he is getting his priority right this time.

Cannot blame him for giving some hope for be beleaguered western countries.

GST

The GST revenue collected from WA is now used to fund SA, NSW and TAS. A lot of people are angry. we only get back 29 cents for every $1.
The equivalent is like Germany putting $1 into the Euro pool and get back only 29c, whereas Greeks put in $1 and get back $1.50.
If this is short term, this type of redistribution is fine, because it is like insurance and we do not want Tasmania to become too poor since it is part of Australia.

Last edited:

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
ATO is on the warpath, from what I am aware, trying to claw back taxes after the Crocodile Dundee lawsuit, the Oswal fiasco and then recently after the budget surplus target was announced.

Often, the initial correspondence feels like there is an assumption of guilt before innocence is proven and subsequent "requests" on the same matter can mount to constant "fishing" for information.

Thankfully, its good to have competent help at hand for a fair price when it comes to constructively engaging the ATO.

My overall impression of ATO and the tax system is just and fair, but try to live like a King by relying on tax reducing schemes to the nth degree is not worth the time, money and hassle.

So I just love hear stories of scum getting audited like a cornered rat, after assuming for years that they can work loopholes recommended via hearsay, "expert sources" or worse, the internet.

ATO

ATO is getting very active. All captial gains & trusts are going through the data mining detectors.

But getting a letter from ATO may not all be bad, some are getting letters that thank the taxpayers for following CORRECT PROCEDURES.

Surplus

The Labor Party is pushing for surplus after KRUDD keynesian stimulus that produce nothing for the economy except heartaches of FHOG housing loans.

These Aussie pollies can be dumb at times, but obviously, he is getting his priority right this time.

GST

The GST revenue collected from WA is now used to fund SA, NSW and TAS. A lot of people are angry. we only get back 29 cents for every $1.
The equivalent is like Germany putting $1 into the Euro pool and get back only 29c, whereas Greeks put in $1 and get back $1.50.
If this is short term, this type of redistribution is fine, because it is like insurance and we do not want Tasmania to become too poor since it is part of Australia.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
So I just love hear stories of scum getting audited like a cornered rat, after assuming for years that they can work loopholes recommended via hearsay, "expert sources" or worse, the internet.

HAHA.. cool bro, you sounds negative again.. Life must be hard on you eh ? Enjoy life or else your life will enjoy you !

GST is a mere 10%.. you can either claim it now (GST refund) or claim it as initial capital when chickens are sold.. I requested a formal audit but my ATO ex- Singaporean replied it is not necessary - self assessment. I plan to catch up with him in Adelaide to lim kopi. If you like, you can join in... lol

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro which state are you in? if you are in Victoria please share with me the ATO contact's details please? Might need a favour from a fellow singaporean leh :smile:

Thanks

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro which state are you in? if you are in Victoria please share with me the ATO contact's details please? Might need a favour from a fellow singaporean leh :smile:

Thanks

No prob. I'll pte msg in next few days. Let me warn amongst all the Ah Bengs - ATO & Sheriff Office are ranked most Evil Bengs in Melbourne.

manfrommars

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thanks

i avoid all s'poreans and basically asians (unless they are japs).

i haven't had a real long conversation with any s'porean or non-jap asian for as long as i can remember.

they are intolerable.

the most is 'hi how are you'.

i read this forum and visit singapore once every few years to see my parents and each time i feel blessed to live the life i live when i talk to signaporeans.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ATO

Surplus

GST

This former Box Hill boy finally bring out the tax reform topic.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...-cultural-change/story-e6frg9if-1226435172729

Heavy-handed tax office needs cultural change
BY: TONY SMITH From: The Australian July 26, 2012 12:00AM

THERE'S the bully pulpit and then there's just plain bullying. And while governments at their best lift us up through inspiration, governments at their worst cast us down through intimidation.

For months, the business community has been awash with horror stories about hyper-aggressive and ultra-erratic enforcement strategies employed by an Australian tax office on steroids.

Of course, taxes are the price we pay for civilisation. A taxless world would degenerate into the state of anarchy described Thomas Hobbes in his famous passage from Leviathan: "no arts; no letters; no society; and which is worst of all, continual fear, and danger of violent death; and the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short".

Yet for a tax system to be constructive, it must be fair, stable, efficient and predictable. And it must be remembered that governments generate no wealth, and thus have no money of their own.

The dollars in public coffers have all been taken through the coercive power of the state from the businesses and individuals whose hard work and innovation generates wealth, jobs and technological progress. An optimal taxation system will achieve a balance between the requirement to collect sufficient revenue for legitimate governance and the need to preserve the private-sector golden goose that is the ultimate source of our prosperity.

And while the dialogue on tax policy mostly revolves around thresholds and marginal tax rates, talk has lately focused on the heavy-handed enforcement methods deployed by the ATO.

But don't just take my word for it. The Inspector-General of Taxation cited complaints of intimidation and arbitrary decision-making in its recently released "Review of Compliance Approaches to Small and Medium Enterprises". Large corporations can deploy their armies of lawyers and accountants to contest the ATO on its own terms. But small businesses operating on a proverbial shoe string don't have law and accounting firms on retainer at their beck and call. And it's the absence of ready access to what I call the shielding professions that makes modestly sized companies vulnerable to abuse by ATO officers who are ignorant or officious or both.

In their submissions to the Inspector General, many SMEs complained of arbitrary rulings made by staff lacking the technical or legal expertise to make informed decisions. In one instance, the tax adviser paid for by a private-sector company ended up "providing lessons in the accounting and tax treatment of the areas under review" to clueless ATO staff.

This "my way or the highway" attitude is bad enough. But it gets worse when tax rulings are successfully challenged in the courts and the ATO then moves the goalposts by getting the government to change the law retrospectively.

This lack of tax certainty inevitably constrains economic growth by leaving businesses and individuals wondering what assault on their bottom line might lurk around the next corner. And while much uncertainty in the present day derives from the Gillard government's ill-conceived mining tax and ill-advised carbon tax, the administration of the tax system also has a substantial impact on investment and expansion decisions. It's a key component of national competitiveness.

There's no such thing as perfection in government, and we don't pretend that tax administration was flawless when the Coalition was last in office. But there's also no denying that in recent years the ATO has drifted badly off course.

It's only natural that public servants will respond to the guidance, implicit and explicit, coming from their political masters. And with Wayne Swan desperate to fulfil his promise of a budget surplus in 2013, it's hardly surprising that the ATO has adopted a hyper-aggressive approach. The message coming from the government is clear: raise what you can, where you can, as often as you can.

And with that in mind, an incoming Abbott government will adopt a conscious strategy of driving a cultural metamorphosis within the ATO. Treasury spokesman Joe Hockey has announced a plan to appoint four additional second commissioners.

These positions would be part-time roles filled by individuals who have experience from the real world of business. And they will assist the ATO in comprehending the needs of the private sector far better than now is the case. This is the first instalment in a suite of policies designed to ensure that the legitimate collection of taxes serves not to stifle prosperity but enhance it.

Liberal MP Tony Smith is the federal Coalition's spokesman on tax reform.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you Neddy.. Indeed there's sign of abuse by ATO. I was subsequently audited by an angmo.. He gave me crap reasoning, despite my indirect evidence of 1,2 &3. After exhaustive effort, I decided to accept his verdict BUT I challenged him, if I am able to proof my business is genuine & valid in the next 6-12 mths, I would seek for reimbursement plus opportunity cost (interest)
Finally they replied positive "acceptance" !

I am allowed to claim GST for my BMW. KNN, to claim 10cents have to go thru so much... I will sack my unless accountant.