• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

CANADA - Country of choice or screwed

jake

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow $108 for a family, your income tax must put you in the upper tax bracket :biggrin:

No, I'm not in upper tax bracket. I have to do 2 part time jobs to survive in Canada. Even with 2 part time jobs, my earnings are less than the average blue collar worker salary in Canada, this puts me in the lowest tax bracket. I work part time as grocery bagger at Save On and another part time job at Home Depot.

What to do? Bo bian, got wifey and kids to feed :mad:

You must be self employed. You want a "lobang". Get a job with an employer that has Medical, Dental, Extended Health and Long Term/Short Term Disability as part of the employment package.

Nowadays, no companies will hire a person full time! If they hire all part timers, they don't have to pay benefits. The minute you say you are looking for full time work, they throw your application in the garbage bin. And these are the big companies in Canada - Home Depot, Sears, The Bay, Best Buy etc.

Any Bros got "real" lobang? Cost of living in Canada is getting too much these days. My wife's drug bills are costing a bomb! Just few weeks ago, the Mayors are talking about raising taxes to fund the buses. Damn, what happen to the Carbon Tax money? Sigh! At least Singapore don't have Carbon Tax and GST 5% is cheap!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
jake;228396 I have to do 2 part time jobs to survive in Canada. Even with 2 part time jobs said:
Bro you are forgetting that Spore has sky high utility bills & profit driven public transport system. Many people can't even pay for their HDB flats. As a Sporean you would be competing with 3rd world foreigners for the jobs you are doing in Canada. Don't forget as a citizen you also have NS liabilities & thats a liability to any employer.

There's a global recession on so hang on & when its over you can always look for a better job.

If your wife needs medical attention at least you got insurance coverage. In Spore Medisave is a big joke. I have alot of medisave in Spore but prevented from using & must pay out of pocket whenever I visit the doctor
:mad:

Can look into getting blue cross coverage if your wive needs long term medication.

You can always come back to Spore if you really think Spore is better :smile: As a FT you'd probably be better off than a Sporean citizen :rolleyes:

jake

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro you are forgetting that Spore has sky high utility bills & profit driven public transport system.....

Can look into getting blue cross coverage if your wive needs long term medication.......

As a FT you'd probably be better off than a Sporean citizen :rolleyes:

Aiyoh, Singapore pay here and there, Canada also pay :mad: Both countries are as bad, in the end, I'm bloodied whether I stay in Singapore or Canada. Only thing in Canada, there is TRUE freedom and real democracy. :smile:

That Blue Cross insurance needs $$$ too, it's not cheap :(

I'm seriously considering returning to Singapore as a FT and earn good money when the economy is better. Then when make enough money from the Lee Family, enjoy the $$$ in Canada :smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That Blue Cross insurance needs $$$ too, it's not cheap :(

I'm seriously considering returning to Singapore as a FT and earn good money when the economy is better. Then when make enough money from the Lee Family, enjoy the $$$ in Canada :smile:

You may think that paying $108 for family coverage is too much but when you are ill, you will realise how precious it is.

In Spore there is no insurance company that offers medical insurance as extensive as in Canada's health insurance, full stop.

My recent visit to a Spore hospital cost me $10,000 in cash as I could not use more of my medisave to pay for the bill. Yes I had more than enough to cover the costs but the rules don't allow it :mad:

Paying taxes is a lifelong investment. You also pay taxes in Spore but get very little in return. Have you considered the allowances you get to claim for your children, the free books, the scholarships available to Canadian citizens, work oppurtunites open in Europe/ USA/Aust., RRSP scheme etc, etc....?

If you are that unhappy, you can certainly come back to Spore but I seriously doubt you'll come back to Spore because you know its much better there :biggrin:

whistler

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, I'm new here & chanced upon this website when googling...
My family of 4 will be getting our Canadian PR soon & may be making our 1st landing there come year end.

We've never stepped onto Canadian soil before & thus have many uncertainties & unanswered questions.

For a start, may I know:
1. Does Canada have a worldwide Personal Income Tax regime like the USA?
2. What will be the minimum number of days I will need to stay in Canada during my 1st landing as I intent to return to SG for work for some years yet.
3. I understand that I will need to have a local mailing address (in Canada) for correspondences with the Canadian Immigration Office. Since I do not have any relatives or friends there, what shall I do?

There are many many more questions in my mind & I hope this forum could help answer some, if not all of them.

Many thanks in advance for all your comments, opinions & suggestions...:smile:

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
My family of 4 will be getting our Canadian PR soon & may be making our 1st landing there come year end.

We've never stepped onto Canadian soil before & thus have many uncertainties & unanswered questions.

For a start, may I know:
2. What will be the minimum number of days I will need to stay in Canada during my 1st landing as I intent to return to SG for work for some years yet.
3. I understand that I will need to have a local mailing address (in Canada) for correspondences with the Canadian Immigration Office. Since I do not have any relatives or friends there, what shall I do?

There are many many more questions in my mind & I hope this forum could help answer some, if not all of them.

you've never been to Canada and you applied for PR...??:confused:

whistler

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha...yea....we didnt believed it ourselves either......however we were comtemplating OZ, NZ or the USA, finally decided on Canada as we think we like what we see online better.....(been to OZland numerous times & didnt like it there)

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha...yea....we didnt believed it ourselves either......however we were comtemplating OZ, NZ or the USA, finally decided on Canada as we think we like what we see online better.....(been to OZland numerous times & didnt like it there)

Good luck mate!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Why not ask them to send to your Spore address :confused:
Don't they give you time to emigrate to Canada to become a landed immigrant?

I use to have a postal box there & had my friend check the box & forward the mail to Spore every few months. Unfortunately after the 911 attack they tighten up security on these mail boxes.

There are some places where you might still able to rent a box & make arrangements to forward mail to you.

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal

For a start, may I know:
Consult a Canadian Accountant.
It is better to do all your SIN Card, health Card(Alberta - Free medical), etc

I am doing it for some of the samster like rabmon, Nayr69 & etc. Email me

let me know if you need any help - u can search under "Gems of my knowledge for more info"

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
No, I'm not in upper tax bracket. I have to do 2 part time jobs to survive in Canada. Even with 2 part time jobs, my earnings are less than the average blue collar worker salary in Canada, this puts me in the lowest tax bracket. I work part time as grocery bagger at Save On and another part time job at Home Depot.

What to do? Bo bian, got wifey and kids to feed :mad:

Nowadays, no companies will hire a person full time! If they hire all part timers, they don't have to pay benefits. The minute you say you are looking for full time work, they throw your application in the garbage bin. And these are the big companies in Canada - Home Depot, Sears, The Bay, Best Buy etc.

Any Bros got "real" lobang? Cost of living in Canada is getting too much these days. My wife's drug bills are costing a bomb! Just few weeks ago, the Mayors are talking about raising taxes to fund the buses. Damn, what happen to the Carbon Tax money? Sigh! At least Singapore don't have Carbon Tax and GST 5% is cheap!

People always have hidden agendas and i suspect, yours is not that hidden.

By all means come back to Singapore instead of complaining about Canada.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
People always have hidden agendas and i suspect, yours is not that hidden.

By all means come back to Singapore instead of complaining about Canada.

Hmm.. you like to see us suffer ? Do we really have hidden agenda..

Well, stepping outta SG, (& in the search of happiness), setbacks and problems are not uncommon. Getting our hands dirty or DIY is the start of our life in the 1st world country. No maids.. no directions from big daddy.. you get to say or do what you want.... you are living in a free world !

Bottomline, you have a CHOICE if ya a quitter.. you can either return to earn your tokens with little dignity or live adequately & be happy here.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
let me know if you need any help - u can search under "Gems of my knowledge for more info"

Originally Posted by whistler

For a start, may I know:
Consult a Canadian Accountant.
It is better to do all your SIN Card, health Card(Alberta - Free medical), etc

I am doing it for some of the samster like rabmon, Nayr69 & etc. Email me

Many thanks in advance for all your comments, opinions & suggestions...

If you are in contact with [nayr89], please ask him to send me an e-mail re: how he is doing in Edmonton, because when I went to visit SG in Jan 2004, we met him and his family for dinner.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmm.. you like to see us suffer ? Do we really have hidden agenda..

Well, stepping outta SG, (& in the search of happiness), setbacks and problems are not uncommon. Getting our hands dirty or DIY is the start of our life in the 1st world country. No maids.. no directions from big daddy.. you get to say or do what you want.... you are living in a free world !

Bottomline, you have a CHOICE if ya a quitter.. you can either return to earn your tokens with little dignity or live adequately & be happy here.

Your hidden agenda shines forth in your reply.

The fact of the matter, in fact the bottomline is that if you can migrate successfully away from Singapore, you are not a quitter but you are the cream of the crop, the top essence of Singapore which other countries deem worthy.

One evidence of this is Singapore welcoming the quitters of other countries and their leaders saying that without these quitters, Singapore will not be as good as they want her to be.

Therein, the answer to you is still the same - if you cannot make it in Canada, you are always welcome to come back to Singapore to whine.

Some human beings are such hypocrites.

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your hidden agenda shines forth in your reply.

The fact of the matter, in fact the bottomline is that if you can migrate successfully away from Singapore, you are not a quitter but you are the cream of the crop, the top essence of Singapore which other countries deem worthy.

One evidence of this is Singapore welcoming the quitters of other countries and their leaders saying that without these quitters, Singapore will not be as good as they want her to be.

Therein, the answer to you is still the same - if you cannot make it in Canada, you are always welcome to come back to Singapore to whine.

Some human beings are such hypocrites.

If I have misread your post, my apologies. (I've read your posts, I would consider you the cream of the crop). We're just normal migrants surviving adequately & happily :wink:

Ppl always have the opinion that anyone emigrated overseas will eventually return with shame, due to failure.. To me, there's nvr been a failure, maybe lesson learned.. in each venture, you'll emerge stronger and wiser..

whistler

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I have misread your post, my apologies. (I've read your posts, I would consider you the cream of the crop). We're just normal migrants surviving adequately & happily :wink:

Ppl always have the opinion that anyone emigrated overseas will eventually return with shame, due to failure.. To me, there's nvr been a failure, maybe lesson learned.. in each venture, you'll emerge stronger and wiser..

well said.....the pblm with SG's entreprenuership spirit is 1 that's afraid of being deemed a failure......:o

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
well said.....the pblm with SG's entreprenuership spirit is 1 that's afraid of being deemed a failure......:o

Sadly, most of the sinkies are afraid to step out of their comfort zone.. They are afraid of setbacks... they operate in a highly efficient manner which has no room for setback or delay... This cld be bad.

In our free world, we can choose to run fast.. or we can walk.. At the end of the day, we will never be left behind :smile: how good is that...:biggrin: