• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can You Live Without a Car in Singapore?

Bad New Brown

Alfrescian
Loyal
I cannot live without a car in Singapore. I need a car to gain face. My colleagues, friends and relatives will all look down on me if I don't drive a car. Also, no girls will want to date me if I don't have a car. A car for a Singaporean man is equivalent to an LV bag for a Singaporean woman.

Sometimes you must think whether it is sustainable for you to own a car. Colleagues, friends and relatives are not important la and as for girls - are you looking for wife material or just short fling :confused:

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes what you say is true, but if you take the difference in prices of a home in the central district and non central...you can easily migrate and buy 10 second hand cars..
Then up to each family to decide on their priorities. If want all the conveniences, then pay the premium. Else suffer a little inconveniences.

It is the same for food. If you want convenience, then eat at restaurant every meal. No need to buy groceries, cook and wash up. If you don't want to pay restaurant prices for meals, then spend more time to buy groceries, cook and then wash up.

Ditto for laundries, home keeping etc.

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know a few friends who earned 3k a month before cpf deduction and their car installment costs 1.5k not including erp and petrol. And every month still has money to do those rubbish mods. Sometimes i wonder if they have money to eat?

Maybe he tiok 4D lor!!!!

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You have car, you can control your time...at least to a certain extent.

We buy car to buy time.

Troll

Alfrescian
Loyal
Walking is good exercise, especially for the elderly and why don't you move closer to your work???

Don't be such a sissy!

I work from home and only go back to office once in a while - fortnight maybe.

But I got a car because it's shiok, and because I can afford.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I work from home and only go back to office once in a while - fortnight maybe.

But I got a car because it's shiok, and because I can afford.

I gave up my car because it's no fun driving in Spore. Too many stressed out motorists out there. I rather save the money & use it to invest. The cost of a car in Spore is really ridiculous. For the same amount you can get a condo in LOS. That's what I plan to eventually do. Get a 2nd home with a beach view :smile:

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The big question you will face is: can you survive getting around Singapore without a car.

And the simple answer is: yes, you can.

In all honesty, based on the prices for cars, it isn't even an option for many people. And budget-wise, you will never spend as much money on cab fares, trains and buses as you will in buying a car.

What about you?

In Singapore you only cannot live without money. Car is meant for people with extra cash to throw. Work hard just to feed the car ? No way for me.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I gave up my car because it's no fun driving in Spore. Too many stressed out motorists out there. I rather save the money & use it to invest. The cost of a car in Spore is really ridiculous. For the same amount you can get a condo in LOS. That's what I plan to eventually do. Get a 2nd home with a beach view :smile:

Car price is beyond ridiculous; you are paying for a 10-year right to use that car.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do you see people actually using these bicycles on a daily basis? I suspect most load them into their cars & drive off to a park & use it there.

How many people actually get a bicycle to commute to work?
A bicycle is just not practical in Spore. Try squeezing a bicycle into a train during rush hour & you will know what I mean. Even during off peak hours the trains & buses are too crowded. My colleague had a bicycle parked near his cubical & was told by the boss not to do that.

What u friend thinking it might cause inconvenient to other or accident? If I were is boss I will make same comment.
Park else like in store or in a corner no one walking.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Car price is beyond ridiculous; you are paying for a 10-year right to use that car.

When I was living in Canada I would buy 2nd hand Toyotas. Usually 10 year models because they were cheaper. They were great cars and I used them to tour the USA. I paid on average CAN$2,200+ for the cars. The biggest recurring cost to car ownership was insurance & fuel.

Had friends who bought brand new but when you have cold winter seasons it can be very bad for cars e.g. salt used on the roads, cars slipping on the ice, ....

I am still astonished about the prices in Spore . Many Sporeans are well traveled & they have seen how much cheaper it is elsewhere & still they vote PAP:eek:
Is it any wonder why people are leaving for greener pastures.

Troll

Alfrescian
Loyal
why u make people jealous? :biggrin::biggrin:

Not towards you la... just feel like trolling some people who like harping on car very expensive, the money could be better used for investment elsewhere blah blah blah...

I mean seriously, for me it's worth the money which I can afford, for a little better quality of life when I decide to drive every other day. Even if I used up all my money to own a car, it's my own money which I earned, I didn't steal or swindle peoples' money to afford this little bit of luxury.

Some non-car owners can be rather holier-than-thou... so I just troll.... pai seh!:biggrin:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Car is one of the biggest liability in Sinking land. Unless, the money made is 'easy money' or 'strike 4D/toto money', don't even think of getting one.

What is worst is the frequent breakdown of mrts. So buy also jialat and don't buy also jialat.

Troll

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I was living in Canada I would buy 2nd hand Toyotas. Usually 10 year models because they were cheaper. They were great cars and I used them to tour the USA. I paid on average CAN$2,200+ for the cars. The biggest recurring cost to car ownership was insurance & fuel.

Had friends who bought brand new but when you have cold winter seasons it can be very bad for cars e.g. salt used on the roads, cars slipping on the ice, ....

I am still astonished about the prices in Spore . Many Sporeans are well traveled & they have seen how much cheaper it is elsewhere & still they vote PAP:eek:
Is it any wonder why people are leaving for greener pastures.

Many don't have much choice but to stay here. I can certainly understand why many still vote PAP - its all because of the "it could be worse" mentality, but that's for other threads.

I am a car lover, I just love driving good cars. A car for me is not just a point A to point B transport. Its might partly be a symbol that I have arrived, but mostly it's because its a joy to drive. Everything about the car, the interior, the smell of it, the feel when I turn the steering wheel, the acceleration, the engine roar when turbo kicks in, the total silence and serenity when I coast... everything is a joy to me. Whether the traffic is good, or the traffic is bad, whatever weather conditions, nothing beats a driving alone with no destination in mind, except to just enjoy the drive.

I have lived 3/4 of my life without a car and I have done fine. But it is this 1/4 of my life up till now that I feel I really lived. It's something that non-car lovers won't really understand. Its expensive, but worth every penny I have paid.

Troll

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sometimes you must think whether it is sustainable for you to own a car. Colleagues, friends and relatives are not important la and as for girls - are you looking for wife material or just short fling :confused:

Owning a car is never a rational decision, sustainable or not is another story. If one has the disposable income to own one or a couple, why not?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[/B]

What u friend thinking it might cause inconvenient to other or accident? If I were is boss I will make same comment.
Park else like in store or in a corner no one walking.

Office space In Spore is expensive & available space is at a premium. That's why it is rare to see anyone use a bicycle because there is no place to keep it secure.
The colleague didn't care about others. That's why the boss had to step in.

Nowadays many people have to carry a laptop to take home work and If you have to drag around a bicycle , it's just not practical.

SockPuppet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many don't have much choice but to stay here. I can certainly understand why many still vote PAP - its all because of the "it could be worse" mentality, but that's for other threads.

I am a car lover, I just love driving good cars. A car for me is not just a point A to point B transport. Its might partly be a symbol that I have arrived, but mostly it's because its a joy to drive. Everything about the car, the interior, the smell of it, the feel when I turn the steering wheel, the acceleration, the engine roar when turbo kicks in, the total silence and serenity when I coast... everything is a joy to me. Whether the traffic is good, or the traffic is bad, whatever weather conditions, nothing beats a driving alone with no destination in mind, except to just enjoy the drive.

I have lived 3/4 of my life without a car and I have done fine. But it is this 1/4 of my life up till now that I feel I really lived. It's something that non-car lovers won't really understand. Its expensive, but worth every penny I have paid.

I love your post. It sums up the feelings of many car lovers. Actually, nobody needs to get riled up. To each his own, be it for or against PAP, for or against car-ownership, for or against moving to central and well located apartments. I also agree that the car buys time for the car owner. Life is short, money not spent is not yours. So if you can use a thing like money to buy time which is essentially priceless, why not?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I love your post. It sums up the feelings of many car lovers. Actually, nobody needs to get riled up. To each his own, be it for or against PAP, for or against car-ownership, for or against moving to central and well located apartments. I also agree that the car buys time for the car owner. Life is short, money not spent is not yours. So if you can use a thing like money to buy time which is essentially priceless, why not?

agreed!!!!.... do whatever you like..why the fuck care about what others say..

i used cars to show off and make sinkie jealous and i love to do it this way and enjoy it immensely.